Fernwood Women's Health Clubs

Fernwood Women's Health Clubs

Please don’t join Fernwood!

Fernwood Green Square is an absolute joke!
My friend was diagnosed with cancer and had to cancel her membership! They made her life hell! What company does that? DON’T JOIN

No Atmosphere

I found this Gym to have no atmosphere. Classes that I wanted to do were either cancelled or made virtual (additional fee to do these classes). Everything has a charge therefore I believe that it is over priced when compared to other Gyms. This is a common complaint that I have heard from many other local women who have also cancelled their memberships with great difficulty and at a ridiculous cost (total shameless gouging). We live in a small town word travels fast. I would strongly recommend that you look around prior to signing with them and read the very small fine print.

LOVE Fernwood!

Love your FIIT30 classes, LOVE that you're 24hrs! Castle Hill gym staff are friendly, the atmosphere is nice, the gym is clean and the classes are great. Really happy, thank you xx

Everything has a charge

Canceling? $350
Lost tag? $80 (costs $20 else where)
Pausing? $7
Changing credit cards? $17
Seriously these guys need to close down...they make money of circumstances and it’s pretty appalling their terms and conditions.

Best PT Ever and staff are friendly

I was a bit speculative at first but I found that in Fernwood Cairnlea the team was absolutely friendly from Tram who singed me up to the many wonderful PT's and staff one of whom is Liz who is absolutely down to earth. Knows what works for her clients and will push where necessary.
I will continue to pay for these wonderful services and I am so grateful I found a great gym with amazing staff who cares and are willing to help.

Terrible and unethical practices

I am moving out of the city to a location where there is no Fernwood gym, so my only option is to pay $280 in fees, or let my contract expire by continuing to pay for 3 more months. Absolutely ridiculous.

Worst gym ever

I signed up over the phone not knowing that I actually entered a contract then told I have 7 days cooling off period, the next day I found another women only gym that’s cheaper so I decided to cancel with Fernwood, they then told me it’s 48 hours cooling off fee and I have no choice but to pay the cancellation fee of 200 dollers. I left a review on Facebook stating my situation and what’s happened and I was cyber bullied and told I have a secret agenda and am not a real person. Sooo money thirsty and now wish I read online reviews before calling. Rockdale Fernwood is a joke of a gym and the owner Cathy is a narcissist and a fool who hides behind a computer screen and hides when I call, what’s joke.

Fernwood Wetherill Park

At this gym the group exercise room is carpeted, has no windows, no fresh air or other means for air. I asked if they were going to change to a boarded floor like a 'real' gym, and the owner said that she couldn't, it was too expensive.( try Zumba and you risk breaking your ankle )
I did not notice when I joined. It grabs like velcro and stinks.
I have a few months to go on my contract-can't wait to leave. If I quit now I have to pay a $300 fee to leave. If I was smart enough and looked into this earlier it would have been worth it.
If you want a nice bathroom and don't care about the group exercise or the exorbitant price tag ( what was I thinking) or the spruiking of products and 'other' services, go ahead.
Or be smart and go to the council gym.

Terrible

I was a member of Fernwood Robina for nearly 12 months. I enjoyed it until I got sick there last November. I was doing weights by myself the day before they moved to the new location. There was some kind of heavy pest control smell when I was there. I got sick with a very bad chest infection that day that lasted for two months. During this time I was not well to go to the gym due to this. I rang and informed the assistant manager who gave no apology and said it has nothing to do with them but the town centre. Two months later I rang again saying I am cancelling due to this. I then got an apology. I decided to cancel and still got charged a fee for cancelling for medical even though the gym made me ill. I liked the club other than that. I dont go to a gym to get sick. I go to get healthy.

FEES FEES AND MORE FEES

Paying $38 a fortnight which is what I agreed to pay however if a payment doesn't go through they make you pay a $9 rejection fee, and don't notify you which is ridiculous.
I was told that I could use my membership with my FOB at any location only to be told that this was not able to be used out of staff hours and a max of 5 free visits.
I am also pregnant and cannot use the gym due to complications and have been told even if I provide a certificate etc I will still have to pay $4 a week to place on hold.

Don't join this gym it is really not worth it

Surprised at poor reviews. Camberwell Vic is great!

Staff lovely, toilets clean, varied classes. Overall very happy.
Surprised at some 1 star reviews. Camberwell Vic is great! Cheers

Cheap & nasty, the staff don’t care

Yes it’s cheap to join, but you’re pretty much left to figure out all the machines by your self and you won’t get a program, I was told that’s an extra charge. Staff are fake friendly. I went to get my weight etc done when I first joined and the lady laughed at me when I had written down the wrong weight of my piece of paper, I was 2kg heavier than I thought. She thought that was funny and made me feel embarrassed. I have since quit this gym & have joined a local PT group, yes it’s more expensive but they actually make the time to get to know you & your strengths & weekness. I have since lose 5kg in 5 weeks with the new PT.

Starting up fee and cancellation fees

So i signed up after my daughter was born she was a few weeks old which wasnt a good decision. My first fee was over 200$ finally cancelled today with a great heavy fee off 300$ because of my contract. Nothing but money hungry business. Never would consider this gym and for months wanting to leave but the ladies told me to put account on hold. This is a warning for all the other ladies wanting to give this gym a go look around for better deals.

Vary considerably between sites

The fernwood gym near where i joined was modern, clean, big and provided things like free breakfast. I wrongly assumed they'd all be up to the same standard and signed a contract knowing i was moving to a new area soon. Now am living near the Preston gym and it is nowhere near the same standard. The floors are uneven, shoved into a shed in a warehouse area that feels unsafe afterhours. It's just not comfortable, welcoming or worth the money, but I'm locked in the contract for at least another 6 months. The minute there is competition with another women's only gym I'll be throwing in this membership and advising everyone else to do the same.

Beware of Hidden Fees

Beware of hidden fees if you cancel your contract in the minimum term. It costs $185 to join plus a minimum of $20/week plus a cancellation fee of $200 + one month's fees. Don't make the same mistake I did! Join another gym that has a more reasonable cancellation policy. I have made a complaint to Consumer Affairs Victoria regarding the cancellation fee of $275.

Can't "Opt Out"

I only googled as I have never been able to opt out of text messages from this place. I called in once and made the mistake of leaving my name and mobile number and I've had repeated messages/advertisements ever since by text messages. I've "opted out" repeatedly. Early on, once I opted out, the messages would stop for two or three months, start again, I'd opt out again, etc. Now opting out makes no difference - I can even block the number and I get promotional texts from different numbers from Fernwood. Apart from I think likely this not respecting people's right to opt out, which I think likely contravenes some kind of regulations, I wonder about the need for such aggressive promotional work. I got a number of phone messages early on and apart from returning one message to say that I was not interested, ignored the others and eventually they stopped.

AVOID AVOID AVOID

Absolutely useless! I've been trying to get in contact with someone other than a receptionist at Fernwood Head Office in Richmond, VIC for two weeks now. They never answer their phone, the person I need to speak to never calls me back. AVOID AVOID AVOID. I needed some information about their contract as I refuse to sign it due to some very dubious clauses in it and wanted to talk about it before considering joining.
I was going to join but now I'll be taking my business to a gym that actually responds to queries!

If you do decide to join READ all the fine print properly.

Needs More Time Management

Joined the Gym in September with membership to start on 1st October. After signing up, was told my introduction couldn't be until 15th October and my next appointment to show me the gym equipment, couldn't be until 22nd October because I work, like most people, from 8am to 5pm and they wouldn't have the staff to accommodate those time any earlier.
After discussing with the team member in my introduction meeting that I was very unfit, I was advised that I could do classes. She pointed out a class which stated for beginners at 6am on 17th October which I attended. The instructor was great and I did enjoy the class although that night I could not move my neck and shoulders. The instructor did tell me that most of the girls in the class had been doing it for many years. After loosing weeks of sleep due to the neck/shoulder injury I attended an osteopath who helped a little. Contacted the Gym to cancel my membership and was spoken to really rudely.

Clayton Gym is deplorable, do they not give a damn about clean gyms?

The bathroom is a deplorable sight, it's like a mess. Floor is sticky, toilets is dirty there were toilet paper thrown around the toilet seats and no one know how to flush.

Furthermore, promise of lotions and breakfast.

The breakfast is some expired bread and lotion is always empty but the bottle is still there just for decoration.

The worst cancellation and membership terms imaginable. Don't join!!

I was getting married in a few months, so I thought I would join the local gym to get a little toned before squeezing into the dress.
I was talked into joining for 12 months as that would be cheaper etc...
I had to move overseas shortly after the wedding and without selling my soul, keeping the damn thing going actually worked out cheaper.
I have finally come to the part of my contract being up so I immediately emailed to cancel and ensured I sighted the specific clauses in the contract so I didn't get any fees.
As many have said already, this gym is staffed by mostly fake staff - the "oh we only care about your well-being", but are in fact just money hungry and rude.
The facilities at the Gungahlin branch were pretty good, they are fairly newish and I think just had renovations - but for the price you pay to workout or not in my case, they should have nice facilities.
The classes were often cancelled or changed to do a video of a class in america. There were never enough staff to help or facilitate classes or even just make sure no one was dead in the main room.

26 payments of 58$, taken fortnightly,
"Activation Kit" 159$
Joining Fee 199$

Update:
Vultures from head office of Fernwood rang wanting my final payment of membership fees as they didn't take it on the date nominated and I closed the account... hahah.. well, it was funny until they added a 9$ late fee.

---------------
Other fees and charges within the agreement for your review:
Downgrade fee: $100.0
Transfer to another club 24 hour access card: $69.0
Cancellation fee: $200.0 plus 2 further direct debit payments
Third Party collection agency debt recovery costs: $100.0
____________

Please don't join, find somewhere else :)