Ford Ranger PK (2009-2011)

Ford Ranger PK (2009-2011)

I wanted a ranger brought it.

I flew to Sydney to look at this car loved the way it looked and drove so I bought it. Drove it back to Melbourne no drama. I did not know it has a cooler on the EGR water flow through the exhaust stopped using it and now it's brilliant. No drama.

Date PurchasedMar 2015

Not that good on fuel why

Hi i have a 2010 3ltr atuo turbo diesel With 60 ltrs of diesel i am only getting
Around 450 k's to a tank.
Gets services all the time. Why would this be.i bought this as i thought it would be awesome on fuel
What should I do i think it should be around 600 k's to a tank

Engine Size3.0ltr
Date PurchasedMay 2010

Gets the job done

I bought my Ranger new in 2011 and have now done 110,000ks. I find the car pretty comfortable around town on the highway or out bush. I have replaced the clutch with a single mass flywheel unit, blocked the egr and put in an oil catch can. All worthwhile jobs on any diesel like this. Other mods include new suspension, snorkel, a canopy and barwork. My car only ever went to ford for the first service since then I have done all the maintainance and mods myself as my faith in car stealerships is non existent. The car has given very little cause for concern, the only leak has been from the top seal on the gearbox which i fixed while doing the clutch. I found while fitting a snorkel.that mud, sand etc. builds up.in the inner guard, it can be flushed out with a garden hose at the bottom rear of the front quarter panel with the front door open. Just jam the hose in and wash it out.

Date PurchasedAug 2011

piece of junk

If you have any issues with your vehicle see if it is in the above link at australiancar.reviews and send them a message with new non mentioned complaints.
I have had the 4x4 selector motor die, gearbox jerky and recently hard to get reverse, internal light blows, 2 windows work when they want to and squeal when they do and recently it self locks even after door opened, with most of this before 30,000km's and before warranty was up, but not honored by ford due to my geographical location...

Date PurchasedJun 2011

Best car that i have had

this car is the best car I've ever had, take it to a broken road still stay comfortable, this very powerful car I've ever had and make its service is not expensive but this car is sometimes uncontrollable during the rainy season. and this car feels very comfortable on the toll road and when going away.

BadgeFX4 Special Edition
Engine Size3.2L
Date PurchasedMar 2011

Can't fault it

Only had it for two years and it's done over 190 k
Been to cape york and was very happy with it although I did'nt do any extreme stuff but did tow a 1.5 tonne camper
3.0 ltr manual 2010 and very comfortable cab
To pick a fault it would be the weakness of the idler arm and torsion bar suspension

CabSuper
Date PurchasedApr 2016

Perfect car

This is my 47 car I own , I change cars a lot. This is by far the best car I ever owned. I have it now for 7 years, no repairs, just normal service. Towed 2.6 ton Caravan for over 40000 km.
Best Car. I would recommend a ford Ranger to any one.

Date PurchasedJan 2010

not a bad ute but has some problems

all round not a bad solid ute but defiantly has problems did a rocka cover gasket at 80000km did a clutch at 90000km and a gearbox rebuild at 10500 could be better back seats would not hurt to be bigger fuel aint to bad not to bad on power and towing but needs a better build to keep up with it

BadgeWildtrak
Date PurchasedJun 2009

Awesome truck

Great truck, bought new. Biggest issue was more the level of workmanship and materials whilst under warranty and been worked on by Ford themselves.

I have since the warranty expired had to fix many of the issues that arose from bad surviving because the Ford dealer landed up using the wrong fluids or cheap fluids.

My UTE had 90K on since late 2010, I have fixed the EGR problem with a blank and remap of the ECU which has given the UTE its great fuel economy back and put the power back in the beast. My clutch shutter has gone since the remap as all the power is back, my EGR valve was stuck in the open position, blank that sucker off, catch can fitted that collects all the nasty PCV blow off before the turbo/ inlet manifold.

Remap has put the UTE at 500NM and 200HP, runs great. Recently changed the crappy ATF fluid Ford uses in manual transmissions with full synthetic 70W75,,,, and changed the LSD diff oil to full synthetic 75W90. No more power loss because the diff slips, oil from Ford again low grade run of the mill stuff.

This UTE is a work horse and I love driving it daily, it is reliable and a great vehicle all around. Take the time and treated it with the more expensive fluids and most of your troubles will be resolved.

Blank off that stupid EGR.... Blank off that stupid EGR!!!

BadgeXLT Hi-Rider
Date PurchasedJan 2011

216000 and still going strong

Having had this vehicle since new and now with 216000 klm on the clock, I can honestly say it has been a joy to own and drive.
I've towed my Quintrex Renegade boat around Australia and had total reliability with fuel economy of 10Lt per 100klm, which is incredible considering both boat and Ranger were packed with full load. Doing just over 20000klm and using 2067Lt of diesel fuel.
The comfort of this vehicle is comparable to any sedan but with greater ground clearance which enables it to go over uneven terrain without any problems.

BodyTwin Cab
Engine Size3.0Lt Turbo Diesel
Date PurchasedJul 2009

Not as reliable as I would like!

Despite buying near the top of the range, the diesel engine has habit of failing EGR coolers.
Dealers know about this and are hesitant to warranty the failure.

We are now at failure number FOUR. The last EGR cooler took the Ford dealer 3 days to test and fit. Our own mechanic took 40 minutes to diagnose and fit the second one which cost my Company $450.
Now we finally have a cracked head or a failed head gasket.

Parts warranty is 12 month or 20,000km and we are at 8 months, 23,000km and Ford Dealer has said " no warranty" unless Ford Australia approve it. We are now waiting to see if we are covered. Not really happy to see a work vehicle off the road, again. We will see how this pans out, something is very wrong when non Ford dealers know about this fault and low ball trade ins because of it!

BadgeXLT Hi-Rider
Date PurchasedJun 2011
Engine Size3.0l
Ford and the Dealer played games for 23 days without a decision on a VERY well known issue with this vehicle. They kept promising to make a decision " in two days" . Then another two days and so on. Has anyone else experienced this stalling technique from Ford? We finally cracked it and took it back to our workshop, Purchased a new head complete with cams and valves and fitted it inside of 6 hours. It was a very expensive 23 days as our Company service vehicle was offroad, The procrastination by Ford was the worst I have experienced in 40 years of business.It now seems that many owners of this model are bypassing the suspect EGR cooler and in effect, are not able to meet the diesel emissions required for Australia. This is also happening on 2010-2011 Mazda BT50 models with 3 litre engine as well. Another fact discovered is that Mazda parts warranty is double that of Ford. The Ford Ranger is made by Mazda, not so clever Mr FORD.Now Ford is on the do not shop list ever again... Toyota Spare Parts warranty is 12 months unlimited KM vs Ford, 20,000 km... a true commercial warranty by Toyota...lining up for the new Hilux.

Best Truck ever

2010 PK Hi Rise 5 speed auto. Bought this unit @ 120000 klm's and now have 200000 klm's' and still going strong. I do all of my servicing except auto ( I pay an expert trans guy in Harvey Bay and do it around every 30000 klm. I use Penrite oils and service every 15,000 klm. 10lts per 100 klm's fuel used.

Engine Size3.l

Ford bad car bad attitude

Adding to my previous review. I sent an email and phoned Ford about my vehicle and relayed my disgust in the vehicle. 2 weeks on, no reply from Ford Customer Service. I guess this is telling all Ford owners they don't care. Money power greed the world we live in.

Timing Belt Problem

I owned a 2009 PK Ranger for 5 years from now. Had no issues with the vehicle until the 120,000kms service when, as per the Service Schedule the timing belt and adjuster were replaced. 17,000kms later the timing belt snapped due to the tensioner failing. Fortunately there was no damage to the engine because when sold the vehicle had travelled 252,000km's with no engine problems. Whilst Ford did repair it for free it appeared perhaps something may have happened when the belt and tensioner were originally replaced. 77,000 km,s after the belt had snapped my mechanic replace both the belt and adjuster again as a percautionary measure because it was making an excessive tapping noise. Inspection revealed the tensioner had started to wear. Due to the nature of my work this vehicle was fitted with a Tradie Workmate and carried about 400kg of equipment. Apart from the timing belt and tensioner this vehicle gave me untroubled motoring for 5 years. Despite the reputation these vehicles had with their gear boxes I found once my speed dropped below 80km/hr I went back to 4th gear and never had any problems. In fact by going down a gear it kept the vehicle revs in the power band (2000 - 3000rpm) which gave more power at lower speeds when needed. The fuel consumption was never great but when a 1 ton rated vehicle has a constant load of about 800kg it was never going to be great. However it still delivered 480km to about 60l of fuel and on the open road it constantly travelled at 110 (+ a little sometimes).

CabSingle
Engine Size3.0l

Ford Ranger 2009. Most usatisfactory vehicle i have owned.

Ranger 09 purchase 2010. Nothing but issues with vehicle. Bad fuel economy. Recall cruise control took forever to fix. Genuine towbar recall replaced. 4x4 switch motor failed replaced, chrome come off door handle and 25 Feb 2016, automatic transmission falls apart 2 weeks after service of transmission. $3300 to fix.

Engine Size3.0

Good truck have had no problems

It can be. A bit. Bumpy on road if. Driven hard. Back seat space. Way. To small but. I don't. Have. Any kids but. If. There any bigger than a 6 or. 7 year old. Forget it. Other than that. Iam very happy with about. To cloak up. 100000 ks probley expensive do the. Rounds first. With ford and. Compare leg. Room good. In front. Crap in back. Good on fuel. On. Trips. Crap around. Town.

BadgeWildtrak
Engine Size3 liter

Auto Trasmission Failure.

Purchased my PK Ranger Under 12mths ago. 2wd auto Highrider. !50,000K's the Auto gear box failed. Repaired at a transmission workshop. No support from FORD. Not happy Ford Ranger owner. Will never buy another Ford.
Ford said there were NON genuine parts fitted. But what do you do if you are told the vehicle is not under warranty.

Engine Size3L

Gearbox

The gear boss in the pk aren't strong enough for the motors . Mine is at the end of its life ,it started at about 30000 km ford would not do anything about . Said it was nothing, but now it's that bad it has trouble getting going. To fix it will cost $7000 less you but a old reck to strip. Wouldn't never buy a ford again . Good luck if you buy an auto .

Badge0
Engine Size3.8

Great car, excellent tow vehicle

2010 4x2 Hi-Rider 3L turbo diesel. I get 10ltr per 100k empty and 16ltr per 100k with 3ton caravan. Lots better than my Prado 3ltr does. Very responsive and great get up and go. Only negative I find is side mirrors don't give great view, but is minor overall.

Engine Size3.0L

Worst Purchase Ever

We bought our 2010 Ranger 3 mths ago and regret it. Awful turning circle, drives like a tank, auto gear change is rough. Fuel consumption is average.