Garmin Fenix 5

Garmin Fenix 5

5S, 5X, 5, 5X Plus

How to find the best smart watch or fitness tracker

Choosing a new smart wearable can be both exciting and overwhelming. Whether you're new to the world of smart wearables, or you already know your top priority is finding a waterproof smart watch or cheap fitness tracker, read on for information to help point you in the right direction.

Read now

4.1

• Battery Life
Sophie

SophieSydney, NSW

This watch was great up until the waterproofing failed after owning it for a bit over a year.

The watch was perfect for running with and I used it regularly to swim with until one day after swimming the screen was glitching and appeared to be water damaged. I attempted to dry it off but unfortunately this was unsuccessful and the watch died completely and wouldn’t restart. I would’ve hoped that after owning it for just over a year that the it would’ve maintained it’s waterproof seal.

Purchased in October 2018 at JB Hi-Fi for A$900.00.

Katherine

KatherineFar North Queensland, QLD

Bad battery life

I have been an owner of Garmin watches for many years, & I am very disappointed with the low battery life of Fenix 5S. I used it for first time yesterday on a 3-5 hour bike ride & the battery drained down to 64% , after starting with 100%. My instinct watch has always remain in the 80% After the same length of time.
I do not have notifications or Bluetooth turned on, only the data on the ride screen. Very disappointed in this watch.

Purchased in June 2020 at Garmin for A$499.00.

subsul

subsulGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

On me every minute!

Excellent watch, can't fault it.
It's on my wrist for almost the entire day. Tracks just about everything.
I use it mainly for ocean swims, runs, and biking. The Garmin connect app supplements the watch and is very helpful to gain crucial insights into your workout!
Must buy for any sporting fanatic.

Purchased in January 2019 at Rebel Sport for A$399.00.

platinum1004

platinum1004Sydney, NSW

Excellent watch for virtually every use

Purchased in November 2018.

Richard

RichardGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Can't live without it

Great sport watch for triathlon

Accurate tracking with running swimming and riding

Over a week's worth of charge when not doing any activities and after 2 years still getting 12 hours of activity

Purchased in August 2018 at 99 Bikes for A$950.00.

Craig S.

Craig S.Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Built Like a Rock

I have had one of these watches for a long time and I wear in every minute of the day (except when charging) and it is a beast. Great features for day to day life, sports and best of all it has been bashed, crashed and smashed but not a scratch. I couldn't be happier.

Purchased in April 2017 at 2XU Online store for A$979.00.

DOMENICO C.

DOMENICO C.

Amazing

I got this watch as Christmas present because my wife knew I was chasing it since 1 year . The size 51mm of the watch is great . It works perfectly , connect to the phone very easy . You get lots of info which makes your life easier . The 2 apps are fantastic , you can change faces so you don t get bored of it .
Great watch
Absolutely suggest it

Purchased in December 2019 at Rebel Sport.

smfzi

smfziSouth East Queensland, QLD

Faulty backlight functions

Love Garmin and I've owned several devices, but despite its great features, like built-in music etc, the backlight problems began only a couple of months in. For the price it is simply unacceptable to have no backlight at all, with the screen is barely visible during the day, let alone at night. The interface is also not as intuitive as other Garmins. From my expereience I wouldn't recommend this model.

Purchased in October 2019 at Rebel Sport for A$799.00.

Sharon

SharonGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

This watch is great

I love this watch, it syncs really well with the iPhone, it holds the charge for over 1 week and has some great features like sleep tracker and you can see whos calling your iPhone on the watch face. Only thing Id say needs improvement is the screen light, it goes dim when in screen saver mode so no LED backlight

Purchased in September 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for A$500.00.

Carlos

Carlos

Almost perfect- just a bit heavy

Love the look of this watch, I gave my old Garmin away to buy this. I love how many functions it has and how pretty it can be (I bought the 5s gold). I just wish it were thinner and lighter. It is way to bulky on my wrist, and completing long runs with it is annoying. Have been swimming with mine, and wear it out for dinner too! I also wish the Garmin app were better. It is such a terrible app compared to others out there- so syncing data and reviewing daily activity isnt as great as what it could be.!

Purchased in July 2017 at Rebel Sport for A$899.00.

Greg

GregSydney, NSW

A perfect product for daily use

Love the quality and features of this watch. Battery lasts for 10-12 days after 2 years, GPS works perfectly and I don't have almost anything to complain. Sadly I bought it and in 2 months they released a model with NFC and I cannot allow myself to spend another 1,500 to get another watch just for NFC. I think they should've done NFC from version 3, not to wait to release 5x then 5x plus.

Purchased at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for A$1,000.00.

L Ho

L HoSouth East Queensland, QLD

Buttons excel touch screens in wet conditions!

- fast charging and good battery life
- waterproof is a huge bonus and keeps device clean
- Can easily personalise everything just like an Android phone
- Light weight and not too bulky for small wrists like mine
- the SUP mode is great for paddling sports

Purchased in May 2019 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for A$399.00.

Paul G.

Paul G.Hunter Region, NSW

HR software issue - accurate.... whenever it decides to start working

Purchased in April 2018 for A$950.00.

Jacob

JacobGold coast

Perfect for Tri training

Perfect for Swimming Running Jogging
Counts swimming laps
Times sets and rest periods
Works in open water swims
Gives pace as you run
Alert every 1km running
Heart Rate distance Speed for Riding
Keeps all your training organised on Web
The Alarm is easy to set and good for every day Use.

Purchased in December 2017 at Rebel Sport for A$600.00.

hiker63Sydney Surrounds, NSW

Good outdoors watch, with health benefits!

Purchased in August 2018 at Rebel Sport for A$1,000.00.

hiker63

Sorry, I mean 'connectivity to smart phone...'

Brazen

BrazenSydney Surrounds, NSW

Awesome

Absolutely the best ever tracks weight, heart beet, Stes ... Will be getting a 6
I would highly recommend this and syncs very nicely to my iPhone very good and worth the money

Purchased in January 2018.

Juan

JuanBrisbane

New watch damaged from the box

I purchased a brand new Garmin Fenix 5 plus sapphire and when I opened the box the unit's bezel was damaged in 4 places.
The unit was send back to Garmin for inspection and they informed me that the damage is cosmetic and are not covered under warranty.

I paid a lot of money for a unit not charged or worn and has 4 scratches on the bezel. If you pay that amount of money for a watch, surely it should come out of the box damage free?

I expected a lot better customer service from Garmin and really disappointed in their response.

Needless to say I will think twice in supported their products in the future.

Rgrds,

Date PurchasedJan 2019
Daphne

DaphneUpper Yarra

Quality Product

Fenix 5 is the premium multisport GPS watch with wrist-based heart rate, advanced fitness features and interchangeable bands you can go from workplace to workout. Whatever sport you want to track, fenix 5 has it covered, thanks to built-in activity profiles and performance metrics plus smart notifications.

Myles

Myles

Wear it every day

Easy to use, great battery life great tool for tracking fitness activity’s the gps makes running workouts easy no more driving around in the car to find distances for intervals, built well wear it every day for the past year and a half as a mechanic and it has not failed

Date PurchasedMar 2017
Leisa S

Leisa S

5 s plus goes flat in 3 days max and bluetooth constantly not connecting

I've been having issues since I bought this watch a couple of months ago. The battery is supposed to last a week and I am lucky to get three day not even using it as a sports watch AT ALL. Also it regularly won't connect to bluetooth. It's apparently a known problem and Garmin will not replace for me.

Date PurchasedOct 2018