Garmin Vivofit 4

Garmin Vivofit 4

How to find the best smart watch or fitness tracker

Choosing a new smartwatch can be both exciting and overwhelming - Read on for information to help point you in the right direction.

Read now

• Battery Life
Ladybug

LadybugSydney

Useless. Download free Runkeeper app and save your $

Ive embarked on a fitness drive and purchased a Vivofit 4 Fitness tracker. I already have the free Runkeeper app on my phone but thought it handy to have something watch-sized. Just did my first walk with the Vivofit and ran Runkeeper at the same time to compare:

Vivofit 4: 2.51km, 126 cal
Runkeeper app: 3.19km 205 cal (includes elevations etc)

Given the significant difference I then drove the route- Car Odometer: 3.1km

Purchased in December 2020.

Poor product and terrible customer service

My 1st wearable so I bought relatively cheap. Still over priced.
Accuracy verges on useless apart from gentle motivation.
App and data is basic and loses value after a few weeks.
BUY, main gripe is main reason I bought it was advertised long battery life. I was shocked to find it died after less than 5 months (product description says 1yr+). When I contacted Garmin I was literally to.d it was my problem and they were not interested.
Would advise against this product and based on customer service also any Garmin product

Purchased in May 2020 at Garmin.

Christopher J.

Christopher J.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

After 6 years of fantastic service - junk!

Used all the vivofits and been happy to see my steps and activity build to tremendous levels. Thanks Garmin for providing those statistics for which it has accurately provided me in all this time. Now while undertaking my daily 8-10km powerwalk, see this device ripping me off anywhere from 25 to 75%. Evidence can be especially seen when viewing each activity's pace map which can be viewed in the devices app. Just seems to stop and not keep up. Time now to ditch Garmin and look elsewhere.

Purchased in August 2020 for A$90.00.

Smart Watches / Fitness Trackers

Find out how Garmin Vivofit 4 compares to other Smart Watches / Fitness Trackers

Virgo

VirgoNorth-West & West coast, TAS

Just good to wear as a normal watch with steps and heart rate counting

After using it for almost 2 months, I have found some things are not right.
1. When I drive up the hill, the device congratulates me for performing climbed floors goal.
2. Sometimes, I do not wear it since I get up and at night I check the app, it states how much calories I have burnt that day. Maybe, it just shows the standard calories burnt for resting phase. Just guessing!
3. Sleep data is not accurate as well in detecting how long I am awake during my sleep.
I just find it useful as a watch and for detecting my steps and heart rate . That's all!
By the way, my skin is a bit sensitive to its strap.

Purchased in May 2020 at eBay for A$171.85.

Unhappy tenant

Unhappy tenantSouth East Queensland, QLD

As per other reviews - junk

As per other reviews, my fourth replacement has just failed. Utter rubbish.
The screen freezes each time and stays on either the clock or Date.
The last replacement I got I said I wouldn’t accept another replacement and I won’t. I also won’t be buying a Garmin again.
This one lasted only 2 months, the ones before at least lasted 6 months or more

Purchased in April 2020 at Harvey Norman for A$160.00.

Battery Life

The Vivofit 4 is a great fitness tracker, if you’re happy to just use the band for its battery life. I’ve had 2 of these in the past and they worked perfectly, until I had the batteries replaced. I was aware, both times, that they would no longer be waterproof, and I was vigilant about never getting them near water. But you just can’t help sweating while using them. And only a few short weeks after replacing their batteries, they just stopped working. It’s time for me to look at other options.

PCS

PCSQueensland

Not happy!

Purchased in February 2019 at Amazon for A$89.00.

Don't do it.

What a piece of junk!!!! It doesn't sync properly ever, and all it does is count your steps. I basically use it as a watch. Can get my money back?

Purchased in November 2019 at The Good Guys for A$80.00.

Kelli

KelliGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Great not having to remember to recharge.

I brought this for my daughter for Christmas as she was fed up with so many problems with another well known step tracker. My daughter loves the convenience of not having to recharge every few days. Downside was no heart rate monitor. My daughter is quite happy with it.

Purchased in December 2019 at Rebel Fit Online store for A$79.00.

NIck

NIckAuckland

not good for kids without a phone to sync

Got this for an 11 year old and she likes it. BUT it is hard to sync two different users on one phone so your child needs a phone of their own. One year on and batteries replaced it is now losing 30 minutes a day.
Running distance was surprisingly accurate

Purchased in August 2018 at Harvey Norman for A$175.00.

Cheeseburger

CheeseburgerAU

Only good thing is that Rebel Sport replaces the faulty watch with new one each time.

My daughter is onto her 3rd Vivofit 4; soon to be 4th since Christmas 2019 as each one works for month or so then starts to lose time. If you put up with that for awhile then something else will go - the screen fails or something else.

Junk!

I purchased this watch after having the vivofit 2 for almost 3 years. Was excited to upgrade after having such great luck from the vivo2. Since Christmas I have had to send back my vivo 4, 4 times. The watch will last about 7 weeks and then freeze up and stop working. Garmin was great about sending me a replacement each time after I paid to ship it off. After the 4th time of the watch messing up on me, that right, 4 different watches!!!! I am done with it. Time to move on to a better quality watch, clearly garmin isnt it

Purchased in December 2018 at Amazon for A$79.99.

Catherine

CatherineSydney, NSW

Why is this watch for over 16-year-olds?

It doesn't let us add in our actual age because you have to be over 16 to wear it. Of course a 9-year-old can wear it but the number of calories burnt and all that won't be accurate.
Also, I'm a runner and when I run 5km it thinks I ran 2.5! When I run 3km it thinks I ran 1.6km so this watch is more for adults trying to lose weight, not active kids like us.

Purchased in February 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for A$139.00.

jpalen

jpalen

Not waterproof failed after 1 month

Bought for my daughter for Christmas 2018. First and only time it was taken swimming in 0.5m of water for 5 minutes last weekend, water ingress found where water was on the batteries causing it to show the low battery black triangle symbol and the button no longer functioning correctly. Replaced it after some pushing when the retailer didn't initially want to replace it, wanted to refund and upsell a more expensive model. Thankfully they agreed to replace. For something that is supposed to be waterproof but unable to withstand a swim for 5 minutes must have been a major manufacturing fault, and/or I'm expecting to find this same problem down the track.

Erik

ErikEastern Heights

Pairing Issues

Beware of heavily discounted products online.

I received an offer by way of BUPA for the unit, it was $90. Original price would have been $200+. I was suspect from the beginning that I was not getting a NEW item but most likely a Refurbished unit. So, it was no surprise when it only worked half the time.

In Garmin's favor though, they did take it back.
At the time of this writing however the refund has yet to eventuate, I trust however that it will.

Jane

Janeperth

Good accessory

I have not worn a watch for over 10 years as I don't like the feel of them, so I was not sure if I would like wearing this. I have been surprised though as sometimes I forget it is even there! It is lightweight and I have two coloured straps so I can change it up. It would be good to have a backlight so it is better at night or in dark places to see the time etc. I like how it is easy to use with a press of the one button to get the different info that is stored. However I do not find the step count very accurate and even having put the app on my phone it does not seem to relay information to it. It is still a good product and for the price I paid I am happy.

Sara Paton

Sara Paton

Excellent step up from the Vivo 2

Bought this to replace my Vivo 2 which lost its display. This is the next generation of the non rechargeable version which means you can constantly wear it.. swimming, shower etc. I love it. It is comfortable, light weight and Garmin have a corner of the market with the non recharge that keeps me coming back for more. The app is easy to use and prompts me with just enough push without being demanding.

Date PurchasedApr 2018
RachelSaliba78

RachelSaliba78Sydney, NSW

product and customer service a+

I received a vivofit 4 as a mother's day present I love this unit because it is waterproof and has all the functions I was after. And as I am trying to be more active this ticked all of the boxes.
Unfortunately it started glitching which was a bad thing however it only took a phone call and one email to provide them with information of the issue for them to resolve the it and help me.
They asked me to return the item to have it replaced. From start to finish I had a new one in a new box in my hands within 7 days.
I highly recommend Garmin not only on the product but as a peace of mind for knowing you can count on them for excellent customer service.
Thank you Garmin.

Date PurchasedMay 2018
bucaneer

bucaneerAU

Great motivational accessory

Purchased this to aid and motivate me as I try to lose weight and gain fitness. Gives me accurate distances I walk, times, calories expended, steps and goals, etc. It even measures my sleep which I find intriguing. Can wear it 24/7 to get full daily figures (even in the shower or swimming). I am quite satisfied with my purchase.