See the Best Networked Media Players in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

OCTO

OCTO

Misleading packaging, requires buying a new mobile just to set it up, requirements always changing

Avoid this product.

Will not hook up straight through Windows 10 and it was a nightmare trying to find out why (they disabled support in January apparently) Disconnects every time it's paused or a video finishes then it's another rigmarole to find out why, Is it the phone, the PC or the Chromecast this time? Won't cast the desktop even though I have a good nearly new Toshiba. Wish I had bought a Media box instead and saved all this hassle.

Purchased in June 2019 for $79.00.

Andi

AndiMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Useless - A waste of money and time

Samsung Galaxy S9+ will not cast, despite being connected to Chromecast. No issues with Samsung S2 Tab. Both use the same internet source. Rebooted everything several times. Reset Chromecast to factory settings several times. Samsung and Google customer support was useless, neither will take ownership of the problem. I think I might go Apple unless anyone can resolve this issue. I would be totally screwed if I had set my home up with everything linked to Google

Purchased in July 2019 at JB Hifi Home for $60.00.

Disappointed

DisappointedPerth, WA

Total rubbish

Bought 1 in May. Followed all instructions several times. No luck. Returned it and got a replacement. Same story. Returned it today. 3 staff at JB HiFi couldn't get it to work either. If I had read the reviews first wouldn't have wasted my time or money.

Purchased in May 2019 at JB Hifi Home for $59.00.

BobG

BobGBendigo

After hours of trying everything this will not connect to my Telstra modem.

I have set these types of thing up before. Chromecast Ultra is rubbish, too difficult to get set up. My ROKU was a dream by comparison. Chromecast goes back to JB-HI tomorrow for my money back. Do not buy one.

Purchased in July 2019 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for $99.00.

Waste of money falsely advertised

Unable to support hotspot so waste of time buying it
Was told very simple to mirror iphone on android tv
Spent 2 lots of time with call centre
First time was frustrating
Organized what was required
Rang back 2 days later and told this platform could not support my phones hot spot and I needed 2 phone to run it even then it would not work
What a waste of time and money

Purchased in June 2019 at Harvey Norman for $98.00.

Adam A.

Adam A.

Time Saver

The ability to cast a video from youtube or have photos displayed on the TV has never been easier. I can tap a button and have the video be almost immediately streamed onto the TV from YouTube, or Netflix or Stan. It can play music form my selected device. It works even smoother if accompanied by a Google Assistant device such as Google Home Mini

Purchased in September 2017.

A Load Of Rubbish

I Followed the instructions, which are very simple........but it does not work. Just wasted hours on this.
So I am going back to my old method. Download video to USB Stick. Plug in to T.V. .....watch and enjoy.

Purchased in May 2019 at Officeworks for $55.00.

Jeffrey

JeffreySouth East Queensland, QLD

Unreliable product.

Purchased in November 2018 for $995.00.

Penny

Penny

When (If) it works its great

Its a great concept but the execution is the worst as the product barely works, on top of this I went to a support page for a issue I was having (orange flashing light, blank screen) and it simply stated that yes the product had this issue with no suggestions for fixing it or what may have caused it. It drops out every 15min or so when actually casting and I constantly have to monitor where im up to as it doesn't go back to the same time in the program. A HDMI cord for your laptop is a far better alternative and if an alternative product for casting from my phone exists I'm about to go find it and purchase it.

Purchased in November 2017 at JB Hi-Fi for $57.00.

Vince

VinceSydney, NSW

What was Google thinking?

Managed to connect it to my android phone without a problem. Wasted hours trying to connect it to my Windows laptop. Why are there not even any reliable instructions for this? Surely I'm not alone in trying to connect a Windows laptop? Utterly terrible.

Purchased in February 2019 at Google Store for $59.00.

Lukie

LukieLiverpool

Great product with further opportunity

when the GEN 1 came out t was a must have, it offer the opprotunity to make any TV with HDMI to become a smart TV. This at the time saved Hundreds $ $ $ $, of the cost of purchasing a dedicated smart TV. In the way of limitations it would be great if it could be used with out the need of a network.

Date PurchasedOct 2013

NGL

NGLGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Never works, sub standard compared to Apple tv

I went from an Apple TV, no problems, worked well, to this product that hardly ever connects to me devices. Glitched, that require me everyday to reset the item. The worst desicion I have made, in particular when mirroring. Google company should be ashamed of themselves to have a device that works at low standard. Please do your self a favour and don't buy this product, it's no good.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

SimonDigby

SimonDigbyWestern Australia

if you love stuffing around with glitchy tech, this is for you.

Hopeless device. Never connects when you want it to. Have to erase and start again multiple times. Freezes at the most annoying moments (to be fair, this is its one skill). We had such high hopes for this thing. Like, it would work, for one. Waste of time and money.

Date PurchasedAug 2018
Anna

AnnaDarwin

Ok

You would think a product as simple as chromecast wouldnt have any problems
It drops out, and /or doesn't always connect for no apparent reason.
I find I have to go to my Google home app to manually find it and connect it because when I hit the connect icon it says its streaming but it isn't.

Date PurchasedAug 2018
KylieJene

KylieJeneSouth East Queensland, QLD

So good we bought a second one!

We have an Apple TV, and a Chromecast but hubby has a Samsung phone and was only using Chromecast. So we bought a second Chromecast. Both are great devices. Only problems is sometimes can’t skip advertisements, whilst casting. Can be powered by usb. If you don’t have outlets free, your tv’s USB ports can power the Chromecast.

Date PurchasedJan 2019

Always loses connection

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Not compatible

Google haven't got a list of compatible projectors. Mine isnt. It's an expensive trial and error or the inconvenience of returning the Chromecast device to google. It proved to be a waste of time. HDMI does not mean that it will work with your projector. There must be many standards around.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Kat

KatMelbourne

Best purchase

Got a chromecast so that I could stream Hayu (reality tv) on my television and it has been fantastic. It’s actually really convenient selecting a program on my phone - all I do is hit a button and it turns on my tv and streams what i want to watch. Love it

Date PurchasedOct 2018

What an unsafe, terrible product

1. Would not install from a PC.
2. Interferes with aerial signal.
3. Unit gets so hot,nearly too hot to touch, its a fire hazard.
I spent 3 hours trying to get it to work and finally gave up. The instructions on the setup program are hopeless. I will be taking it back for a refund.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

john

johnasked

why when I use the device to watch SBS on demand does it sometimes cut the start of the show, and why is it that all the other providers such as I view, does not seem to have this problem. what do I need to do to fix this irritating problem

ilias K.

ilias K.asked

I would to ask if when you mirror your screen to the tv, does it use the wifi on your mobile. I would like to mirror my screen to tv and then use the wifi to surf the internet (google maps, a browser page or anything else). So is the wifi free to browse the internet while mirroring your screen?
And now there is also a guest mode. So you can mirror your screen lets say in a hotel without using wifi. Is again your wifi free to surf the internet while doing this? Thanks

Thomas
Thomas

When setting Chromecast up it asks you which wifi you want to connect to ? I only have one that connects and does it all, home installed wifi where all products identify and log to - hope this helps.

QLDZDR
QLDZDR

I can't get guest mode to work at all. I have downloaded the update of Google Home App. Looks different.
My TV shows the PIN on the screen, which we assume means a guest who doesn't have access to our wifi password but can see the PIN on the monitor, will be able to CAST (mirror) their screen to our TV.
But it doesn't find any compatible devices for them to cast to unlessvthey are already connected to our wifi.
I might try rebooting the Chromecast

Reubs

Reubsasked

After installing the Chromecast with a WiFi can it still be used on a different WiFi?

Ravinder
Ravinder

You need to set it up on wifi to use it. If you are planning to use it on two different wifi you need to set it up as well.
use google home app in order to do this.

Get an answer from our members and Google representatives