Google Chromecast

3.5

Absolute headache

Would not get passed set up ... 4 hours of thinkering and forums ideas and nothing ... it is junk don’t waste your money ... Will be getting a refund tomorrow for sure

Purchased in June 2020 at JB Hi-Fi for A$59.00.

Jay

JaySydney, NSW

Pretty good, enhances the speed

I got faster speed on Youtube and Netflix compared to my Smart TV app of my LG TV. Plugs into your HDMI port of your TV. You can even control this Chromecast via remote (Play and Stop function)

Purchased in December 2016 at Harvey Norman for A$47.00.

Simone

SimoneGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Handy

Easy to set up, easy to use. If you're using an Android and casting spotify, it does disconnect if your phone is in battery saving mode. Once I worked out the spotify issue I'm very happy with it.

Purchased in May 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for A$49.00.

Karen Z

Karen ZSydney, NSW

Useless junk, lagging, lagging and lagging.

Don't waste your money on this useless junk. It's lagging on all occasions, even when you watch their own YouTube. Worst Google product possibly. If you really want to do mirroring, invest on a proper TV.

Purchased in June 2016 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for A$50.00.

J Morris

J MorrisSouth East Queensland, QLD

The most frustrating device I’ve ever used!!

When it’s working its fine but continually have to do full resets to get it to connect as it fails to connect to wifi. Its now in the bin! So over trying to get it to work! Its not good on your mental health!

Purchased in October 2019 at JB Hi-Fi.

Sinthu M.

Sinthu M.

Perfect casting device

If you want to turn your tv/monitor into a smart tv go for this. It offers a simple interface and can be used seamlessly with Apple / android devices. I use it for streaming YouTube & Netflix. It is always connected to my family room tv and i can stream to it anytime by clicking the cast icon on the apps that support screen casting. I have also noticed that there are fewer ads while using this device for YouTube streaming.

Purchased in February 2020 at Officeworks for A$59.00.

Abysmal

Purchased in January 2020.

noodles36

noodles36Victoria, 3183

Biggest pile of crap

Continually disappears from being available to cast from my mobile phone. I continually reboot and have requested customer help on many occasions and it never fixes. When I want to cast I never can and this product is a pile of crap.

Nats

NatsPerth, WA

The best $40 I've spent.

This is the easiest, most user friendly, cheapest way to make a TV a smart TV. Just plug it in and off you go. Have been using mine for well over 12 months now and can't fault it. I use it for Stan, Netflix, ABC iview, SBS on demand - you name it. Its hands down the best valued item in my house!!

Purchased in October 2018 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for A$40.00.

Annicka

AnnickaMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

So useful!

We have been watching Netflix, Stan and catch up tv via our PlayStation until recently. The chromecast makes it so much easier and quicker to use these functions and we can all connect to it easily using the google home app.

Purchased in December 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for A$40.00.

Don’t waste your money

Work well initially but now terrible! unable to watch anything at work or home! Wasted hours trying to login in either network! Crap, crap and more crap
Time to buy a SmartTV

Purchased in March 2018 at Harvey Norman for A$139.00.

jen

jenSydney, NSW

sothey sell products that last as long as their warranties ....good to know ...will look for something different know

not longer works just after warranty expired will look for an alternative. very disappointed. supposed they are made in china. cant think of ten more words four to go one

Purchased in June 2017 at JB Hi-Fi for A$59.00.

Alasdair36

Alasdair36South West, WA

Absolute rubbish

I could look at photos on my camera, but trying to watch a film via my phone or laptop was useless. Dropped out, lost sound. Lost Picture. Will take back to JB hifi and ask for money back.

Purchased at JB Hifi Home for A$49.00.

OCTO

OCTO

Misleading packaging, requires buying a new mobile just to set it up, requirements always changing

Avoid this product.

Will not hook up straight through Windows 10 and it was a nightmare trying to find out why (they disabled support in January apparently) Disconnects every time it's paused or a video finishes then it's another rigmarole to find out why, Is it the phone, the PC or the Chromecast this time? Won't cast the desktop even though I have a good nearly new Toshiba. Wish I had bought a Media box instead and saved all this hassle.

Purchased in June 2019 for A$79.00.

Andi

AndiMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Useless - A waste of money and time

Samsung Galaxy S9+ will not cast, despite being connected to Chromecast. No issues with Samsung S2 Tab. Both use the same internet source. Rebooted everything several times. Reset Chromecast to factory settings several times. Samsung and Google customer support was useless, neither will take ownership of the problem. I think I might go Apple unless anyone can resolve this issue. I would be totally screwed if I had set my home up with everything linked to Google

Purchased in July 2019 at JB Hifi Home for A$60.00.

Disappointed

DisappointedPerth, WA

Total rubbish

Bought 1 in May. Followed all instructions several times. No luck. Returned it and got a replacement. Same story. Returned it today. 3 staff at JB HiFi couldn't get it to work either. If I had read the reviews first wouldn't have wasted my time or money.

Purchased in May 2019 at JB Hifi Home for A$59.00.

BobG

BobGBendigo

After hours of trying everything this will not connect to my Telstra modem.

I have set these types of thing up before. Chromecast Ultra is rubbish, too difficult to get set up. My ROKU was a dream by comparison. Chromecast goes back to JB-HI tomorrow for my money back. Do not buy one.

Purchased in July 2019 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for A$99.00.

Waste of money falsely advertised

Unable to support hotspot so waste of time buying it
Was told very simple to mirror iphone on android tv
Spent 2 lots of time with call centre
First time was frustrating
Organized what was required
Rang back 2 days later and told this platform could not support my phones hot spot and I needed 2 phone to run it even then it would not work
What a waste of time and money

Purchased in June 2019 at Harvey Norman for A$98.00.

Adam A.

Adam A.

Time Saver

The ability to cast a video from youtube or have photos displayed on the TV has never been easier. I can tap a button and have the video be almost immediately streamed onto the TV from YouTube, or Netflix or Stan. It can play music form my selected device. It works even smoother if accompanied by a Google Assistant device such as Google Home Mini

Purchased in September 2017.

john

johnasked

Chromecast 3rd Generation (2018)

why when I use the device to watch SBS on demand does it sometimes cut the start of the show, and why is it that all the other providers such as I view, does not seem to have this problem. what do I need to do to fix this irritating problem

Fired Up
Fired Up

Contact the company obviously

ilias K.

ilias K.asked

Chromecast 2nd Generation (2016)

I would to ask if when you mirror your screen to the tv, does it use the wifi on your mobile. I would like to mirror my screen to tv and then use the wifi to surf the internet (google maps, a browser page or anything else). So is the wifi free to browse the internet while mirroring your screen?
And now there is also a guest mode. So you can mirror your screen lets say in a hotel without using wifi. Is again your wifi free to surf the internet while doing this? Thanks

Thomas
Thomas

When setting Chromecast up it asks you which wifi you want to connect to ? I only have one that connects and does it all, home installed wifi where all products identify and log to - hope this helps.

QLDZDR
QLDZDR

I can't get guest mode to work at all. I have downloaded the update of Google Home App. Looks different.
My TV shows the PIN on the screen, which we assume means a guest who doesn't have access to our wifi password but can see the PIN on the monitor, will be able to CAST (mirror) their screen to our TV.
But it doesn't find any compatible devices for them to cast to unlessvthey are already connected to our wifi.
I might try rebooting the Chromecast

Reubs

Reubsasked

Chromecast 2nd Generation (2016)

After installing the Chromecast with a WiFi can it still be used on a different WiFi?

Ravinder
Ravinder

You need to set it up on wifi to use it. If you are planning to use it on two different wifi you need to set it up as well.
use google home app in order to do this.