Google Chromecast

markh0464

markh0464

Worst user friendly device ever

I’ve had a gut full of this device I just want to smash it into a thousand prices. I’m away in our caravan with no tv reception, however we have internet through our iPhone, I have spent hours trying to get the iPhone to cast to our chromecast connected tv. It won’t, factory reset whatever, it is not user friendly. Google chromecast is a waste of money.

Purchased in January 2016 at JB Hi-Fi for A$55.00.

Mirriulah

MirriulahNorth Western Region, NSW

High Tec Low Performance

I have to wonder why in this day and age my Google Chromecast regularly (at least once a fortnight) stops functioning and I have to go through a range of primitive switching and re-booting to get it to come online again.
I have seen military blokes sitting in a booth thousands of kilometres away remotely fire a rocket and precisely destroy their target but my google chromecast has problems remotely connecting to my laptop one metre away.

Purchased in January 2018 at Kmart Online Store for A$60.00.

Nicole

NicoleGippsland, VIC

Best Thing Ever

So good in the loungeroom I brought a second one for the bedroom. Quick & easy just to stream a show from my iPad or iPhone. Never had issues with it.

Purchased in June 2020 at Harvey Norman.

glenn

glennSouth East Queensland, QLD

Total Rubbish

I'm pretty good at getting devices working, but this device had me stumped. Would not connect to numerous wifi connections available in the house. Don't buy one total Rubbish and you'll waste a lot of time.

Purchased in October 2020 at Officeworks for A$59.00.

Flakey and unreliable

I've worked in system adminstration and software development for almost 40 years and I can't get it working reliably.
Error messages are vague, if you can get it connected (which seems to depend on the phase of the moon) it randomly disconnects leaving the video running which can't be stopped.
Don't buy it unless you get a money back guarantee!

Was fine until...

I was happy with device which was working with no problems until recently. Now it continually fails so I've given up. I won't replace it, not worth the money and trouble.

Purchased in September 2018.

noodles36

noodles36Victoria, 3183

Biggest pile of crap ever

It doesn't connect properly with my mobile phones (Moto x2 play and Moto G5Plus) but my laptop does connect to it but it buffers and is choppy and eventually the screen goes purple. Rebooting and running Google's useless troubleshooting makes no difference. You'd think if you pay for a product from a multi billion dollar company you'd actually get something that actually works. No wonder they are so rich ripping off everyone. I tried to write a review via google review and guess what? You can't. They've locked it like a late night infomercial review site where everyone says how great the product is and gives if 4 and 5 stars but in reality it's a piece of trash.

Purchased in April 2020 at The Good Guys for A$59.00.

Anthony

Anthonynewcastle

Does Not work

About as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. worked for a couple of weeks After an update on my desktop it stopped working, tried all the fixes suggested but still no good!!!

Purchased in September 2019 at Officeworks Physical store for A$100.00.

Absolute headache

Would not get passed set up ... 4 hours of thinkering and forums ideas and nothing ... it is junk don’t waste your money ... Will be getting a refund tomorrow for sure

Purchased in June 2020 at JB Hi-Fi for A$59.00.

Jay

JaySydney, NSW

Pretty good, enhances the speed

I got faster speed on Youtube and Netflix compared to my Smart TV app of my LG TV. Plugs into your HDMI port of your TV. You can even control this Chromecast via remote (Play and Stop function)

Purchased in December 2016 at Harvey Norman for A$47.00.

Simone

SimoneGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Handy

Easy to set up, easy to use. If you're using an Android and casting spotify, it does disconnect if your phone is in battery saving mode. Once I worked out the spotify issue I'm very happy with it.

Purchased in May 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for A$49.00.

Karen Z

Karen ZSydney, NSW

Useless junk, lagging, lagging and lagging.

Don't waste your money on this useless junk. It's lagging on all occasions, even when you watch their own YouTube. Worst Google product possibly. If you really want to do mirroring, invest on a proper TV.

Purchased in June 2016 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for A$50.00.

J Morris

J MorrisSouth East Queensland, QLD

The most frustrating device I’ve ever used!!

When it’s working its fine but continually have to do full resets to get it to connect as it fails to connect to wifi. Its now in the bin! So over trying to get it to work! Its not good on your mental health!

Purchased in October 2019 at JB Hi-Fi.

Sinthu M.

Sinthu M.

Perfect casting device

If you want to turn your tv/monitor into a smart tv go for this. It offers a simple interface and can be used seamlessly with Apple / android devices. I use it for streaming YouTube & Netflix. It is always connected to my family room tv and i can stream to it anytime by clicking the cast icon on the apps that support screen casting. I have also noticed that there are fewer ads while using this device for YouTube streaming.

Purchased in February 2020 at Officeworks for A$59.00.

Abysmal

Purchased in January 2020.

noodles36

noodles36Victoria, 3183

Biggest pile of crap

Continually disappears from being available to cast from my mobile phone. I continually reboot and have requested customer help on many occasions and it never fixes. When I want to cast I never can and this product is a pile of crap.

Nats

NatsPerth, WA

The best $40 I've spent.

This is the easiest, most user friendly, cheapest way to make a TV a smart TV. Just plug it in and off you go. Have been using mine for well over 12 months now and can't fault it. I use it for Stan, Netflix, ABC iview, SBS on demand - you name it. Its hands down the best valued item in my house!!

Purchased in October 2018 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for A$40.00.

Annicka

AnnickaMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

So useful!

We have been watching Netflix, Stan and catch up tv via our PlayStation until recently. The chromecast makes it so much easier and quicker to use these functions and we can all connect to it easily using the google home app.

Purchased in December 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for A$40.00.

Don’t waste your money

Work well initially but now terrible! unable to watch anything at work or home! Wasted hours trying to login in either network! Crap, crap and more crap
Time to buy a SmartTV

Purchased in March 2018 at Harvey Norman for A$139.00.

jen

jenSydney, NSW

sothey sell products that last as long as their warranties ....good to know ...will look for something different know

not longer works just after warranty expired will look for an alternative. very disappointed. supposed they are made in china. cant think of ten more words four to go one

Purchased in June 2017 at JB Hi-Fi for A$59.00.

john

johnasked

Chromecast 3rd Generation (2018)

why when I use the device to watch SBS on demand does it sometimes cut the start of the show, and why is it that all the other providers such as I view, does not seem to have this problem. what do I need to do to fix this irritating problem

Fired Up
Fired Up

Contact the company obviously

ilias K.

ilias K.asked

Chromecast 2nd Generation (2016)

I would to ask if when you mirror your screen to the tv, does it use the wifi on your mobile. I would like to mirror my screen to tv and then use the wifi to surf the internet (google maps, a browser page or anything else). So is the wifi free to browse the internet while mirroring your screen?
And now there is also a guest mode. So you can mirror your screen lets say in a hotel without using wifi. Is again your wifi free to surf the internet while doing this? Thanks

Thomas
Thomas

When setting Chromecast up it asks you which wifi you want to connect to ? I only have one that connects and does it all, home installed wifi where all products identify and log to - hope this helps.

QLDZDR
QLDZDR

I can't get guest mode to work at all. I have downloaded the update of Google Home App. Looks different.
My TV shows the PIN on the screen, which we assume means a guest who doesn't have access to our wifi password but can see the PIN on the monitor, will be able to CAST (mirror) their screen to our TV.
But it doesn't find any compatible devices for them to cast to unlessvthey are already connected to our wifi.
I might try rebooting the Chromecast

Reubs

Reubsasked

Chromecast 2nd Generation (2016)

After installing the Chromecast with a WiFi can it still be used on a different WiFi?

Ravinder
Ravinder

You need to set it up on wifi to use it. If you are planning to use it on two different wifi you need to set it up as well.
use google home app in order to do this.

Compare all 3 Google Chromecast
CategoryNetworked Media PlayersNetworked Media PlayersNetworked Media Players
ConnectivityWi-FiWi-FiWi-Fi
App StoreGoogle PlayGoogle PlayGoogle Play
Netflix App CompatibleYesYesYes
SD Card SlotNoNoNo
Price (RRP)$59$49$59
Replaced byGoogle Chromecast UltraGoogle Chromecast UltraGoogle Chromecast Ultra
Compare all 3 Google Chromecast