Google Chromecast
See the Best Networked Media Players in 2022 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Google? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Love St Kilda
Love St KildaPerth, WA

Wish I could give it minus 5 stars

This product is incredibly difficult to set up. I spent 4 hours and still couldn't do it. It's supposed to need wi-fi, but Google Home also wants me to pair it by Bluetooth. It won't pair- a message says 'an app is needed to pair this' ‍ Hang on, Google Home IS the app! Catch-22 !!! I tried everything in Google Home Help. I hate this product and it's ruined me.

Purchased in May 2022 at Officeworks Physical store for $58.

Done and Dusted
Done and DustedSydney, NSW

Endless frustration

Purchased in January 2022 for $99.

Peter
PeterCanberra 2600, ACT

Frustrating, infuriating and now after about 3 months, inoperative.

This device was always slow and clunky but I put up with this until it became completely inoperative. It called for anew login and then failed to provide an alphabet to do so. I believe I have been cheated by Google and feel very disinclined to ever use any of the companies prducs in future.

Purchased in October 2021 at Technician for $150.

steve
steve

Unreliable

Chromecast does not automatically connect to TV. Have to reconnect it each time you wa t to use it. Sometimes it will connect sometimes it will not. Very frustrating. Who wants to disconnect and reconnect each time you use it. Reset router etc

Purchased in January 2022 at JB Hi-Fi Retail Stores for $38.

annnee
annneeSouth East Queensland, QLD

Works well but having difficulty with the app

It is easy to set-up and it works well but not 100% all the time. At times, but rarely, my device gets disconnected so I'm unable to cast. The app is hard to navigate through especially for streaming

Purchased in October 2021 at Amazon for $39.

emily c.
emily c.

Frustrating!

We are finding this device so frustrating. It is very counterintuitive to change the choice of wifi (no simple wifi setting - must "forget device" and then resetup?!), then wont turn up in list of devices. Cant seem to hotspot it either! (When you are away from normal wifi like on holiday for example), inconsistent quality with voice/video lag, or the app on our phone keeps losing sync or connection. And yes - wifi speed was tested and all ok

Purchased in December 2019.

Tony8029
Tony8029Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Terrible with IOS devices. Working one minute, broken the next

I am an IT technician for a living, i deal with complicated technical issues every day of my life however I could not get this thing working.

One minute its ok, next minute it tells you that the wifi password is incorrect yet you know that nothing has changed.

The help available online from Google is so vague that there is no way of fixing the issue.

I have owned it too long to return it so it now goes in the bin.

Purchased at Officeworks.

Smart shopping tips to help you make the most of Black Friday sales

Clara V.

Clara V.
Clara V.14 Feb 2022
Rebecca W
Rebecca WMid North Coast, NSW

Terrible device with extremely limited compatibility with apps

Bought this to stream shows / movies via apps from mobile / tablet to the tv (as we don’t have a smart tv)
I’m in no way technologically incompetent but I found it pretty confusing to set up AND once set up would only cast with about 3 apps. (Instructions in box woeful). If an older person tries to set this up they’d be throwing it out the window.
Will be returning to the store for a refund. Do not purchase unless u wish to be tearing ur hair out

Purchased in August 2021 at Officeworks Physical store for $50.

Annoyed
AnnoyedSydney, NSW

Poor connectivity with IOS

Since the IOS update of 14.2 google chromecast has failed to connect to my iPhone or any other device for that matter
Upon doing a lot of research on this issue that’s the conclusion I have drawn and that google and apple are yet to address the issue.
I just had to go out and buy the fire tv stick instead and works much better!
It was working fine before up until a few months ago.

Purchased in December 2018 at Big W Retail Stores for $69.

PrincessTanya
PrincessTanya

We love our Chromecast!

We love our Chromecasts, we have one on every TV and our projector, I would recommend getting the 3rd generation as we had an older one and it buffered a lot when watching live sports but haven’t had a problem with this model. We use it to stream all of our streaming platforms and when we aren’t watching anything we have our favourite photos playing on it in the background and have had people comment on how great it is we can have our photos playing on the screen.

Purchased at Officeworks.

Robyn
RobynGippsland, VIC

We love it, wish we'd known about them before now

We have poor reception of an evening so use this for normal free to air live tv in addition to all the apps. So easy to install, i couldn't believe i didn't need help. Only a 4* because the remote i find slippery and sometimes difficult to find being white, believe it or not

Purchased in April 2020 at The Good Guys for $90.

Mirriulah
MirriulahNorth Western Region, NSW

Drives me crazy with frequent short pauses.

Good ideas which allows me to view my laptop on the tv but whats the point of a product that has constant pauses and drops a second or two of dialogue and visuals every few minutes or so.
I cannot believe that companys' with the resources of Google Chrome would put out such a crappy piece of gear.

Purchased in March 2020 at Kogan.com for $75.

Doreenrunner
DoreenrunnerMelbourne

Fails too quick.

Have 3 chromecast v2,v3 and ultra, all stopped working when the version google home 31.112 updated. Only the ultra recovered with support instructions. The other 2 just fails update and says network problem when the router can see they are connected. Build other wifi network and same result. Quick search online is an old problem with chromecast, maybe to sell new ones? Not worth the short life they have. Also the customer support is bad or does not exist in messanger or by phone.

Purchased for $45.

markh0464
markh0464

Worst user friendly device ever

I’ve had a gut full of this device I just want to smash it into a thousand prices. I’m away in our caravan with no tv reception, however we have internet through our iPhone, I have spent hours trying to get the iPhone to cast to our chromecast connected tv. It won’t, factory reset whatever, it is not user friendly. Google chromecast is a waste of money.

Purchased in January 2016 at JB Hi-Fi for $55.

Mirriulah
MirriulahNorth Western Region, NSW

High Tec Low Performance

I have to wonder why in this day and age my Google Chromecast regularly (at least once a fortnight) stops functioning and I have to go through a range of primitive switching and re-booting to get it to come online again.
I have seen military blokes sitting in a booth thousands of kilometres away remotely fire a rocket and precisely destroy their target but my google chromecast has problems remotely connecting to my laptop one metre away.

Purchased in January 2018 at Kmart Online Store for $60.