H&R Block

Very poor service from H&R Block George St Sydney Office

I have been working with H&R Block George Street Branch since August 2018 trying to get my 2017-18 personal income tax return completed. After multiple follow up phone calls and emails my return is still not complete and lodged with the ATO. I have not received any response explaining the delay and have great difficulty even getting somebody to return my phone calls or emails. The service is terrible.

Hi James, I apologise that you are not having a positive experience with us and I would like to escalate your concerns with the District Manager. Could you please provide your full name and contact number either in a private message or to the email hrblock@hrblock.com.au ? Kind Regards, Hazel (H&R Block Team).

dreadful service waited over a month found out they had forgot to lodge my return

I waited over a month and couldn't understand why I still hadn't received my refund, it was saying on MY GOV site that it wasn't lodged yet, so i put a complaint in to head office manager, on the morning of 8th May and no one got back to me from there, but then the local H&R block lady who I lodged it with contacted me saying sorry she hadn't done it and needed more information off me, it was now 5.14pm, its now 8pm and I have only just finished getting the info for her. why she didn't ask me for this info on the day, or prior to tonight I have no idea, poor service, my husband and I will not be back to H&R Block again

Hi Joe, I am sorry to hear that you didn't have a positive experience with us. We do appreciate your feedback. Kind Regards, Hazel (H&R Block Team).

Unprofessional and poor service from H&R Block Enmore Sydney

I need to express how completely outraged I feel about how I have been treated by the staff at H&R Block Enmore.

They have made errors is my past two personal tax returns and most recently made significant mistakes in my latest tax return.

On 4 October 2018, I had my individual 2018 tax return prepared by a tax consultant at their Enmore branch. I felt uneasy during the subsequent interview as the agent seemed unsure and inexperienced.. He concluded the interview stating that I would have to pay $4,127.20 in tax. I replied that this was unusual given that I have received a large refund the previous year. He replied that it was because I had earned so much more in the current financial year than the previous year. Unconvinced, I thought any errors would be picked up subsequently in H&R Block internal review/audit process.

Some time later, the agent rang me and informed me that H&R Block internal review/audit had identified an error that he had made in the original assessment and that now my estimated tax payable to the ATO was $5,207.05. I could not believe what I was hearing until I received the notice of assessment from the ATO for the said amount.

Recently, I received a letter titled "You made excess non-concessional (after tax) superannuation contributions in 2017-18" from the ATO telling me that I have made excessive super contributions and that I would have to pay an additional $28,237.65 to them. I contacted my super fund, StatePlus, and they directed me to a Tax Deduction Acknowledgement document sent to me on 12 June 2018. This document was submitted to H&R Block Enmore when they prepared my last tax return, but clearly this document was not supplied to the ATO at that time.

On Wednesday 24 April 2019, I physically delivered all these documents to the Enmore H&R Block's Office Manager and she assured me that she would immediately lodge a tax amendment with the ATO. She advised me not to pay my tax as the figure would be different post the new assessment. She further advised me that she would send me a confirmation email.

I received a phone call from H&R Block last Monday morning, however I was in the shower and did not take the call. Unprofessionally, no message was left. Thinking that it might have been the Enmore Branch Manager and having not received the promised email from her, I confronted the Enmore Branch Manager in person again on Monday 29 April 2019 at the Enmore Office. I stated that I had received a phone call that morning from H&R Block (I knew the number having dialled it numerous times!), but they did not leave a message. She replied, unconvincingly, that the call "might have been from her". Not wanting to antagonise her I did not reply that she surely would have known if she had called me that morning or not! One thing was clear, I was dealing with someone who was prepared to lie and appeared to have little professional integrity. The Enmore Branch Manager advised me that she would lodge the amendment with the ATO immediately. She again stated that she would advise me via email that afternoon that this had indeed been done. On this occasion I made sure I had her business card.

Having again not heard from the Enmore Branch Manager, I searched for ways of contacting senior staff at H&R Block. It was extremely difficult, but via LinkedIn I was able to make contact with the Director, Tax Communications, H&R Block, with this problems. He was kind enough to provide me with the relevant manager within H&R Block and her email address.

I subsequently emailed the Enmore Branch Manager and expressed my annoyance at her customer service (or lack of!)) and told her that I had been in contact with the Director of Tax Communication within H&R Block.

Within hours, I received an email from The Enmore Branch Manager stating:

"Thanks for your email.

As you have already contacted my seniors with regards to the issues you are having with the branch I will wait for their instructions.

I have completed the amendment if you like to come in an sign then I could send my head office for lodgement."

So it is clear that the Enmore Branch Manager was prepared to ignore a customer's legitimate complaints about errors and mistreatment until I went "above her head" to get some customer assistance. Is it not H&R Block's "Guarantee" that the customer will get "assistance, anytime" and "satisfaction (is) guaranteed"?

I subsequently walked up to the Enmore Branch, yet again, but this time I made sure I was accompanied by a witness to observe the Enmore Branch Manager's "customer service". The Enmore Branch Manager was still in the process of preparing the amendment when I arrived. When she completed the amendment she told me I needed to sign the document. Her demeanour was curt, monosyllabic and verging on dismissive. She clearly did not like me going "above her head", but what was I to do when faced with this unprecedented level of unprofessionalism. The Enmore Branch Manager made no mention of the fact that she had now estimated my tax to be a refund of $3,786.59! I only discovered this fact on my return home. The Enmore Branch Manager additionally made no attempt to apologise for the sloppiness of her company or her unprofessional treatment of a client. She did, however, mention that she found it "hard to believe" that these mistakes had been made by both your tax consultant and your internal review/audit team.

On the advise of the Director of Tax Communication within H&R Block I emailed (supplied by him) the Regional Director of H&R Block (managing over 200 country and city retail offices within NSW, Queensland and ACT). I emailed the Regional Director on 1 May 2019, ccing the general H&R Block complaints email address (hrblock@hrblock.com.au) outlining my treatment and concerns, however to date I have received nil advice from anyone within H&R Block, including the Regional Director.

H&R Block's documentation indicates that "If we've made an error that entitles you to a larger refund, we'll refund your preparation fee", however there has been no attempt to refund the $145.00 tax preparation fee to me.

I am absolutely appalled at how I have been treated by this company!

Hello Steven, We're sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced. I would like to follow up with the Regional Manager regarding your concerns. Would you mind private messaging your full name and contact number or alternatively emailing them to hrblock@hrblock.com.au Kind Regards, Hazel (H&R Block Team).

Overcharged

Having just submitted our latest tax return with H&R Block here in Perth WA since moving interstate a few months ago, we discovered that we've previously been overcharged by H&R Block over in Sydney for several years. We have an investment property that my wife and I jointly own and it turns out that we were previously charged for calculating our tax returns on the basis of each owning a seperate property rather than calculating the single property and splitting it in half. The difference in the fee charged by H&R Block netted them an extra $130 on each visit which was clearly a deliberate act in order to profit from our lack of understanding. We now know that this wasn't in line with the company's listed fees for this work. If any other family has jointly owned investment properties, check that you aren't being deliberately ripped off by your H&R Block tax agent.

Hi, Your feedback is very important to us and I apologise that you didn't have a positive experience. It would be appreciated if you could provide your name, contact number and the Sydney office you attended in a private message so I can follow this up. Kind Regards, Hazel (H&R Block Team).

Unprofessional and unfriendly trainer for tax training course (Adelaide Modbury Campus)

Unprofessional and unfriendly lecturer, the lecturer was treating us like kids instead of adults. I was using my laptop to reply my client’s Email and she rudely asked to turn off, so afterward I use my phone to reply my clients and she assumed I was texting people and playing on my phone, and she asked to stop texting. (The only time I was texting my clients was when she gave us 5 mins to do calculations, I had finished my calculations very fast and then I used my spare time to reply my clients.) I did not even use my phone while she was teaching. I had to explain to her I am texting my clients and it is important. This one thing makes me believe she is very unprofessional and unfriendly. H&R block need to develop their quality training and professional trainer.

UNTRUSTWORTHY

I went to the Craigieburn H&R Block, once my tax was done and after I had realised it was wrong I called up and no one answered or wanted to fix my problem. Had to speak to the higher up to get my tax sorted which was November 2018. It has been about 3-4 months and I still don’t have my tax returned fixed, they keep telling me that they would call me back to fix the issue with the ATO but that’s all lies. I paid $140 something for them to get my tax wrong and just let it linger for month. Then when I call the ATO to get it fixed myself they tell me that had been waiting for ages for some information needed to get my tax return.

Will never go back to H&R Block, you pay back heaps of money for them to do the worst job.

Hi, I apologise that you haven't had a positive experience with us. I would really like to follow this up and escalate it to the District Manager. Would you be able to email your name and contact details to hrblock@hrblock.com.au? Kind Regards, Hazel (H&R Block Team).

Exorbitant prices

I collated & tallied all the necessary information for my personal tax return & 2 investment properties. My appointment with H&R block took 20mins & I was charged $385 for the data to be entered! They need to charge according to the complexity of returns (ie. hourly rate) rather than set fees because I just got completely ripped off. Nothing against their employee it's their fee structure. I wouldn't recommend H&R Block to anyone unless you have very complex tax returns to lodge.

Hi, Your feedback is very important to us and I apologise that you didn't have a positive experience. It would be appreciated if you could provide more information in a private message so I can follow this up further for you. Kind Regards, Hazel (H&R Block Team).Thanks for your reply Hazel. I'm not sure if this is a private message to you or not. Please let me know what information you require?Would you be able to provide your name, contact details and the office you attended so we could provide the District Manager your feedback? You can email these details to hrblock@hrblock.com.au . Kind Regards, Hazel (H&R Block Team).

Very bad service individual tax return

I submit my tax tax return 3 months before but not yet any further process I contact in office for reason of delay but no response.

Hi Malik, I'm sorry you have had this experience and would really like to follow up on this for you. Could you please PM me your contact details and the office you attended or alternatively email hrblock@hrblock.com.au? Kind Regards, Hazel (H&R Block Team).

Worst tax return experience

I did tax return with them and while filling it I gave my bank account details but they did not enter in the form. So when they asked me to sign, I asked them to update account information and they said they will but they did not. After few days on ATO website I found cheque is going to be released so I contacted them and they told me cheque won't come and assured me they tailed to ATO but finally cheque arrived at their office and instead of discussing with me they asked ATO to cancel the cheque which takes another 14 days. Even after 14 days, I have not received my return in my bank account. IT is worst experience I have ever had. I do not know when will I get return and they keep saying It will get deposited but when and how, I don;'t know. I can see cheque is active on ATO website.

Hi, I apologise that you have had this experience with us and would like to help follow it up for you. Could you please private message me the office you attended and your contact details? Kind Regards, Hazel (H&R Block Team).The office I have attended is in Vic Park, Perth.

Good place to go for getting tax done

I had a positive experience at H&R Block in Penrith. The Accountant who did my tax return was professional, polite and friendly. She explained concepts thoroughly to me and helped me get the highest return possible. She answered all my questions to do with my tax and I felt comfortable being there. I highly recommend this branch.

Thank you for taking the time to type a great review of our Penrith office. We really appreciate it. Kind Regards, Hazel (H&R Block Team).

Zero stars more like jt

Submitted my tax documents in August. December now and nothing has been done. All I get is excuses and excuses. The ATO are now after me about my late BAS payment and they haven’t lodged it yet!!!!!
Never ever using them again.
Oh and they made me pay upfront.

I am sorry you have not had a great experience with us and I would really like to follow this up for you. Could you please private message me more details, including your name and best contact number? Kind Regards, Hazel (H&R Block)Yea I am disgusted with this. Being made to pay upfront then given the run around and all these excuses. They have finally made contact with me telling that finally my BAS is lodged. 3 months late.

Wonderful team at Falcon

H&R Block has always helped me a lot but I'm particularly pleased with the team at Falcon. They're warm and welcoming and offer genuinely outstanding assistance.

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us this excellent feedback. Kind Regards, Hazel (H&R Block Team).

Thankyou George & Merrilyn

George is very knowledgeable and we feel he knows our needs perfectly -always helpful & we are confident in his tax assessment, thank you -Merrilyn always arranges the exact appointment according to our interstate travel needs & any communication to George -very helpful & much appreciated

Thank you so much for taking the time to inform us about your great experience at H&R Block. We really appreciate it. Kind Regards, Hazel (H&R Block Team).

Only one serious choice

Thanks to H&R, I was able to book my appointment with a minimum of fuss and get 100% satisfaction from the services.

Hi Woodson, What a great outcome! Thank you for your feedback. Kind Regards, Hazel (H&R Block Team).

So easy

Very good service & so,easy to access and use - would recommend to all my friends & colleagues to use

Glad that you found this such an easy process. We aim to take the stress out of tax time. Kind Regards, Hazel (H&R Block Team).

Service with a Laugh

Helpful and friendly service, felt relaxed and had a few laughs with the accountant, also got some money back so that's always good :)

Hi Browny, Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience (love that you got to have a bit of a laugh also). Kind Regards, Hazel (H&R Block Team).

Exceptional customer service

Bithi was friendly, very knowledgeable, efficient and very accommodating which we greatly appreciated. Her focus was on achieving the best result for us. We’ll use H&R Block again!

Thank you Alice, I"ll pass that great feedback about Bithi to the District Manager. Kind Regards, Hazel (H&R Block Team).

Worse than useless!!! Don't deserve any stars!!! Avoid! Avoid! Avoid!

The woman at the Kings Cross branch totally stuffed up my return and I was not informed till 3 weeks later. I questioned the return amount from the start, but she assured me it was OK. I naturally assumed she knew what she was doing; This is why I use an agent!!!! I was wrong!!
Then had to wait another 2 weeks for the 'corrected' refund which was the lowest tax refund I have ever received.

Hi April, I would like to follow up on this for you. Could you please private message me your full name and best contact details? Kind Regards, Hazel (H&R Block Team).

Very more quote fee then charge lot more

Very poor service they trick people and there fees change
Please do not use these people
Caroline springs branch very poor

Hi Joe, I am sorry you have not had a great experience with us. Could you please private message me more details, including your name and best contact number? Kind Regards, Hazel (H&R Block)

Great Tax Return Work

H&R Block ...very impressed. Late returns no problem. Helpful, honest & professional. What a relief. Leave it to the experts and the result is great,

Hi Longe, Thank you for taking the time to write back such positive feedback. Kind Regards, Hazel (H&R Block Team).