Hill's Prescription Diet k/d Canine

Hill's Prescription Diet k/d Canine

See the Best Dog Foods in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

My Dog Could Only Tolerate it for 3 Weeks

SciarchitectAU

It Works.

JennyD

Treated her symptoms in less than a week!

After my 13 y.o. kelpie was diagnosed w early stage renal insufficiency (1 month ago), I immediately put her onto the k/d diet (canned & dry). It's turned around her excess drinking & urinating in under a week (the only symptoms she had at this stage). It looks pretty ordinary, but she was never a fussy eater anyway & it doesn't smell like most canned dog food (a real bonus for me!). She's woofs it down with gusto!

It's not cheap, but then I've a duty of care to my friend & it works out about $5/day - not too bad & cheaper than children!
Doesn't smell! And it works!!

luxury_loui

luxury_loui

A great pet food, specially made to help dogs with kidney disease. It gives them an extra lease on life. And it works, I have seen so many dogs who thrive on this food. It is slightly more expensive, but it is a specialist pet food and it really does improve the animals health. Highly recomended by veterinarians aswell.
Great for dogs with kidney problems.

Good

Even though the textue is some what rubbery what I have found to work so that it mushes like regular canned food is that I heat it in the microwave for about 15 sec for a third of a can. I sometimes add a tablespoon of either chicken broth or vegetable broth....but ever since I started to heat it up she eats just fine, and on top of this she also has meds mixed into it.
That it is formulated to help with my dogs terrible kidney issue
texture is horrible but I have found a way to work with it

Good

I am a vet nurse and have seen many dogs improve their condition immensely once changing their diet to k/d. However it isnt very appealing and an introduction plan of the new food should be formulated with veterinary staff to ensure its success. Many kidney compromised pets are on medication but the big improvement is seen once the diet is changed. I would highly reccommend this product to any owner looking to improve their unwell pets quality of life
Specifically designed to assist in the management of kidney disease in dogs.
Hard to buy in trial sized quantities. Doesnt look all that appetising

piscean

piscean

Terrible

I purchased the Canine canned kidney food after my dog was diagnosed with kidney disease. She would not touch this food and I dont blame her! The food is a horrible pale grey colour which has a consistency similar to rubber! It is so bad you can't even squash it with a fork and just scooping it out of the can is rediculous. I try everything I could to get my dog to eat this as regular dog food was making her ill but she would not have any part of it. They could not have made the food with a worse texture if they tried

Canned version has a very strange texture and my dog would not eat it

Cheryl

Cherylasked

Are there any treats available for dogs on a kidney diet?

JennyD

No idea, sorry. Best to ask your vet, or do a good search on it.

Sciarchitect

With something as serious as kidney problems it would be best to ask a Vet about diet. The only Hills Prescription Diet treats I know of are the Metabolic Treats. I'm not a Vet, but I believe with kidney problems you would want to limit Phosporous, Sodium and Protein, which many commercial dog treats would have in them.

Miss Peanutasked

What can I mix with * Kd Science Diet with Lamb* to make it Tasty for my 3-month-old puppy I need something that is very low in Protein.
She was Diagnosed with Bull Terrier Hereditary Glomerulopathy on the 05:05:2016
She eats a little bit every now and then, but most of the time we have to tube feed her.
So please can anyone HELP so she can start to gain some weight as she has lost so much weight.
The Kd is so bland and dry *Canned food*. Need something to make it tasty for her as I don't want to lose My Beautiful Baby Girl.
Thank you anyone in advance.

Sciarchitect

You would need advice from your vet about what you can add to a prescription diet.
Without adding anything, you can cut it into small pieces and heat it a little (not so much that you change its properties), which can make it more palatable. The extra attention of hand feeding can also help encourage pups to eat.
If your vet approves Omega-3 fatty acid supplements, you can add flax seed oil.

butterflykiss

I second heating it. Alternatively you can add warm water to the dry food to bring out the smell to make it more appealing

Miss Peanut

Thank you everyone for your answers, she is eating quite well now.

Sue

Sueasked

Can I fry or put something in the kd diet food to make it more tasty?

Sciarchitect

As far as I know heating k/d may change its effectiveness and definitely changes the texture. I've cut it into chunks and heated it in the oven to make treats, but I don't rely on this food for nutritional needs.

Hills recommend pouring warm/hot low-sodium chicken broth over the food before serving. Be aware that adding anything at all is adding to what your dog's kidneys must process. We started our dog off by hand feeding him chunks, and he seemed to enjoy the extra attention, which got him to accept the food.

The best person to ask would be the Veterinarian who prescribed the diet. They will also know your dog's individual needs.

Get an answer from our members and Hill's Pet Nutrition representatives