Holden Frontera

Holden Frontera

4.4

Clint

Clint

Tough as nails & reliable but drinks like a drunken sailor !

Purchased mine new in 2002, serviced every 6 months using Mobil 0-50W full synthetic oil all it's life. Burns about a litre in 6 months but oil consumption seems to be designed into these Isuzu engines to protect them in extreme conditions. Only issues in 16 years have been a faulty exhaust gas sensor and noisey thrust bearing which in retrospect was probably due to poor fitting when assembled. Still have her parked out the front and use as a second car. Still very comfortable, quiet, icy cold aircon and great for long road trips. My wife actually prefers to drive "The Fonz" instead of a 2013 Mazda 3. If your looking for a cheap to purchase & reliable tourer you really can't go past a Frontera.

Badge(No Badge)
    TransmissionManual
    Date PurchasedNov 2002
    Drive4WD

My heart says upgrade but my head says why?

Tough, reliable little truck! Have taken it all over VIC, SA and NSW without a hitch including a 5000k trip up the NSW Coast and back through the Great Dividing Range towing a Camper Trailer. Has been fitted with LPG (injection system) and just done 240k on the clock. Cost to run on LPG is par with a 4cyl petrol car (~$10/100km) and has all the modern features such as ABS, cruise and electric windows. Currently tossing up the option of upgrading to something newer but there's not much out there that is the same size and isn't totally plastic! Should I just get it lifted, bigger tyres/wheels and keep it for another 5 years?

BadgeSE
    TransmissionManual
    David C

David CAdelaide

Can't find an excuse to get rid of it

My Fronty SE 5 door has been superb since bought new in 1999. !80,000 and I am getting the new car urge but will have to pay up to $50,000 for something similar, will probably not like it as much and suspect that it will not perform as well as the fronty now worth less than $2000 trade in!!! Might keep it as a second car!! Only had to replace all the major air con components and starter motor. Very quick off the mark. Looks good. Good road grip on fast turns. Very powerful in low ratio. Turning circle is a bit wide . Thirsty and poor fuel tank capacity. I have not gone off road much but it has bottomed out in sand - probably my poor skills!. Hard to go past if you are looking for a good reliable cheap 4WD

TransmissionAutomatic

Fred

Fred

Good

The Total multipurpose 4WD

I paid a low price for this 4wd and get alot for my money. it is amazingly quick (V6) for a 4WD around town. Then it has a smooth 4WD capability. Not a car you will go totally off roading in, but on the occassions I have used off road, it has performed without fault.
    Always looks smart, and can be used to around town without looking out of place with the VWs and the like. (They're re 10 x the price!).
    So for reliablity and economy (price) it has been a gem. Clean running on petrol not keen on diesel after reading it causes cancer.
    Totally reliable, tough under the bonnet, for six and weight amazingly fuel efficient.
    Doesn't look rugged but thats the compromise for it being a multpurpose vehicle.

TransmissionFrench made auto with auto 4WD
    Andy.L
    Andy.L

Doesn't look out of place with VW's? lol Eye inspection for calibration is required

Good

We bought bought our 99 Frontera new. It is the 3.2l V6 manual. Initially we had problems with steering, Air con, ABS, shock absorbers. Holden Didn't recognise any of them. Later models got fixes for ABS and A/C that I know about.We replaced the shocks and fitted aftermarket rear springs and put thermo fan on condenser to fix cooling of A/C. ABS unit failed at 15000kms and holden had to replace with later unit with increased skid time. Since then this car has not missed a beat. It is now at 150000kms,I have just done the water pump and soon will need to do the clutch throw out bearing as starting to get noisy.
    Nice medium sized fwd
    Heavy on fuel, poor service and backup from holden

Lyster

LysterPerth, WA

OK

On road/off road

I have had my Frontera since new (2002) and have been off road in Kakadoo/NT and SA and found it excellent. Pleanty of torq for a low reving motor and excellent stability off road 4X4 gearing excellent. A bit low for river crossings but i have had the water up to the bonnet without a snorkel no worries. If you can get one thats been looked after your on a winner.Im off to Cape York in the old girl next month.
    everything especially the luggage area
    A bit low for river crossings

TransmissionMan
    Midsize / Medium SUVs

Find out how Holden Frontera compares to other Midsize / Medium SUVs

Steven S.

Steven S.asked

I have a 2000 Holden frontera 4x4 I have notice the Engine light only comes on when I tried to use the air conditioning why is that and when I taken the negative cable off the battery to reset the computer the engine light stays off as long as I don’t use the air conditioning how can I fix this and I’ve also noticeThe cruise control doesn’t work how can I fix it and on my dashboard the green light which flickers I understand it’s for the use of 4x4 but it should not be showing if I’m not using it can someone help me with these issues or how can I fix them but everything else works perfectly I can go into 4x4 and drive nice it’s just that light doesn’t seem to turn off but everything on the vehicle runs nice no issues just those three issues I have

Benn D.

Benn D.asked

where is the thremostat placed

Ricky