4Holden Frontera

Holden Frontera

4.3

10 reviews · Statistics

80%20%0%
See the Best Midsize / Medium SUVs in 2024 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Dent18 posts

Dent

Errata . The 3.2 litre V6 has dual overhead camshafts . Yep it’s a tricky one . Bit like a red headed Irish gurl . Sweet when they are on . Nasty when they are not

Clint
Clint12 posts

Tough as nails & reliable but drinks like a drunken sailor !

Purchased mine new in 2002, serviced every 6 months using Mobil 0-50W full synthetic oil all it's life. Burns about a litre in 6 months but oil consumption seems to be designed into these Isuzu engines to protect them in extreme conditions. Only issues in 16 years have been a faulty exhaust gas sensor and noisey thrust bearing which in retrospect was probably due to poor fitting when assembled. Still have her parked out the front and use as a second car. Still very comfortable, quiet, icy cold aircon and great for long road trips. My wife actually prefers to drive "The Fonz" instead of a 2013 Mazda 3. If your looking for a cheap to purchase & reliable tourer you really can't go past a Frontera.

Jalapeno
Jalapeno2 posts

My heart says upgrade but my head says why?

Tough, reliable little truck! Have taken it all over VIC, SA and NSW without a hitch including a 5000k trip up the NSW Coast and back through the Great Dividing Range towing a Camper Trailer. Has been fitted with LPG (injection system) and just done 240k on the clock. Cost to run on LPG is par with a 4cyl petrol car (~$10/100km) and has all the modern features such as ABS, cruise and electric windows. Currently tossing up the option of upgrading to something newer but there's not much out there that is the same size and isn't totally plastic! Should I just get it lifted, bigger tyres/wheels and keep it for another 5 years?

David C
David CAdelaide2 posts

Can't find an excuse to get rid of it

My Fronty SE 5 door has been superb since bought new in 1999. !80,000 and I am getting the new car urge but will have to pay up to $50,000 for something similar, will probably not like it as much and suspect that it will not perform as well as the fronty now worth less than $2000 trade in!!! Might keep it as a second car!! Only had to replace all the major air con components and starter motor. Very quick off the mark. Looks good. Good road grip on fast turns. Very powerful in low ratio. Turning circle is a bit wide . Thirsty and poor fuel tank capacity. I have not gone off road much but it has bottomed out in sand - probably my poor skills!. Hard to go past if you are looking for a good reliable cheap 4WD

Rosco
RoscoCardinia3 posts

Fred
Fred67 posts

Aaron Chapman
Aaron ChapmanAU

The Total multipurpose 4WD

I paid a low price for this 4wd and get alot for my money. it is amazingly quick (V6) for a 4WD around town. Then it has a smooth 4WD capability. Not a car you will go totally off roading in, but on the occassions I have used off road, it has performed without fault.

Always looks smart, and can be used to around town without looking out of place with the VWs and the like. (They're re 10 x the price!).

So for reliablity and economy (price) it has been a gem. Clean running on petrol not keen on diesel after reading it causes cancer.
Totally reliable, tough under the bonnet, for six and weight amazingly fuel efficient.
Doesn't look rugged but thats the compromise for it being a multpurpose vehicle.  Show details ·  1

ACORN
ACORN

Good

We bought bought our 99 Frontera new. It is the 3.2l V6 manual. Initially we had problems with steering, Air con, ABS, shock absorbers. Holden Didn't recognise any of them. Later models got fixes for ABS and A/C that I know about.We replaced the shocks and fitted aftermarket rear springs and put thermo fan on condenser to fix cooling of A/C. ABS unit failed at 15000kms and holden had to replace with later unit with increased skid time. Since then this car has not missed a beat. It is now at 150000kms,I have just done the water pump and soon will need to do the clutch throw out bearing as starting to get noisy.
Nice medium sized fwd
Heavy on fuel, poor service and backup from holden
Lyster
LysterWAPerth, WA3 posts

Bob Martin
Bob MartinSYDNEY

On road/off road

I have had my Frontera since new (2002) and have been off road in Kakadoo/NT and SA and found it excellent. Pleanty of torq for a low reving motor and excellent stability off road 4X4 gearing excellent. A bit low for river crossings but i have had the water up to the bonnet without a snorkel no worries. If you can get one thats been looked after your on a winner.Im off to Cape York in the old girl next month.
everything especially the luggage area
A bit low for river crossings Show details