Mitsubishi Outlander

DON’T DO IT

6 months ago I purchased a brand new Mitsubishi Outlander LS model. I was drawn to the fact that it had pretty much all I wanted and needed in a car for just over $30,000.
This car is a gutless fuel guzzler, I’ve had electrical problem after electrical problem, won’t lock, won’t unlock, won’t start, reverseing camera won’t work, the interior quality is absolutely terrible and the seats are uncomfortable.
Very disappointing

Date PurchasedOct 2018
DriveFWD

Great value for money. Boot is the best!

This is great value for money car. Part of reason I bought it was the decent boot size. So many other cars in this category have small boots which would not fit a pram, scooters , beach gear, groceries and more in it. I also love that you can see the front of the car from the driver seat- so many cars have average vision. I love my outlander- it does the right thing by me!

BadgeXLS
Date PurchasedSep 2015
Drive4WD

Great all round car

Great all round car. I had the base model which felt just as luxurious as the higher models (I just added leather seats). My only complaint is that the Bluetooth microphone was awful- people couldn’t hear me well, and the size of the mirrors hitting the wind seem to make it a bit of a noisy ride.
Overall, it’s a great car for the price though!

Date PurchasedNov 2016
DriveFWD

Great Car. Comfortable and great to drive.

Purchased my Outlander 6 years ago and since then not a single problem with it. Comfortable, quiet and great to drive. 2.4 ltr engine that has plenty of power for me, my wife and son. Loads of room in the back, especially with rear seats folded flat. Good on fuel and an all round nice drive. Would recommend.

Date PurchasedSep 2013
DriveAWD

Bang for your buck

Hello purchased this vehicle as a family commuter.
The good points economical ,value for money and a lot of extras for a standad SUV.
The bad points a little under powered, thin body (dents easy) and a bit noisey.
But overall a good vehicle. would comsider up dating to a newer model.

TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedOct 2013
DriveFWD

couldnt pull the skin off a pudding!

Rented one from Avis. Couldnt pull the skin off a pudding and uses 10.5 litres/100km. Cant overtake due to being totally gutless. Nice design but clunky screen to interface with phone. Eco mode not necessary as otherwise one might have to push it uphill. First time I write a review but this car inspired me to do so. Hans - sanbisresort.com

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Great Car and Excellent Sales Person at Mitsubishi Penrith

Help our daughter purchase a car as she and husband are both working. Looked around different dealerships for a family car that is large enough but still affordable. Found great SUV but most of them are not affordable. We went to our favourite dealership - Mitsubishi Penrith. Lucky to be approached by a nice young and easy to talk to sales person Joshua, he made everything easy. He showed us a great but affordable SUV - The Mitsubishi 7- seater Outlander. Ideal for our daughter's young family. Everything we asked for is there. My daughter and family are very happy with it. Purchased it early September this year. Our grandkids ( 2 from our daughter and 3 from our son) 5 of them fits in comfortably and can all go to soccer games and all together.

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Excellent vehicle

Everyday car with long trips out in the country twice a month, 800-1000 km run.
Great responsive wagon with a bit of power to spare.
Tows very well for its size.
Excellent fuel (deisel) economy & even better on the long runs.
Many, many after market parts & accessories available to make my ride even sweeter.
Prior car was 2.8DTi Mitsubishi Delica, also a great vehicle.

BadgeAspire
Date PurchasedMar 2018

Excellent vehicle - Great for all my needs

Purchased this car almost a year ago and it has been fantastic! Great for getting the family around daily and also camping. Fuel economy has been great and so are the features.
My only complaints would be that the cruise control light doesn't change if its locked on or not - so really nothing mush to whinge about at all.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

8 years of hassle free driving

I bought this car new in 2010 to accomodate a growing family. One of the biggest deciding factors in it's purchase was the boot size of the wagon. I spoke to a few Outlander owners and all had nothing but praise for it so I bought one.,(most had multiple outlanders also).
I use mainly for driving from one side of Melbourne to the other daily and fuel consumption is generally 11l/100kms a tank but it's much less when the traffic is flowing, ie, 7 or 8 litres per 100kms and similar on the highway.
The only problems I've had is the aircon died after 7 years and cost $650 to fix and my blinkers blink fast now becuase of trailers with LED lights. Quoted fix is $650 from Mitsubish as they want to replace the ETACS box.
CVT isn't the best, feels sluggish but works as keeping fuel economy down and it has the sports shift for fun and best used when overtaking on the hwy.
Done a bit of off road driving and no hassles there. Towing a 6x4 trailer full of camping gear is easy and doesn't affect the handling too much.
After writing this I don't know why I'm selling it.

BadgeActiv
Date PurchasedApr 2010

Mitsubishi cheap and nasty

I purchased an 07 4x4 Outlander to give Mitsubishi ago and found it to be a car full of nasty plastic creaking throughout the car the cvt hesitates , it just felt cheap , I then traded it on a second hand 2015 xls 4x4 , I liked the look of it and give Mitsubishi another go , I kept the car for a week and sold it , the cvt hesitates , some fuel pump noise , it was definitely an improvement on the olde one but I give up and got a trusty 2012 Camry instead Mitsubishi never again .

BadgeXLS
Date PurchasedJul 2015

Good for mild to modarate off roading and regular commute

I bought this used car from a Mitsubishi dealer and the odo was 100k at the date of purchase. It was a well maintained car previously owned by CBA. After that I added another 61k to the odo. In my experience it is smooth and generally responsive as I am not driving AMG or Mustang. The longest drive was 1350km in one day from Adelaide to Sydney with two refueling and ofcourse without any issue with my wife and two kids. After Goulburn, it started to rain heavily and I turned my AWD on. After that it became so stable on the wet road that I have overtaken no less than 50 cars who were struggling to drive even on 60k/h and I was driving at 100k/h on 110 zone. I have done some sand dunes with my family in it at Anna bay with AWD lock. Drove from Snowy mountain to Khankoban and did some mild off roading on the way. Boot space is pretty awesome. It holds my portable BBQ stove and camping gears at ease. The only major servicing I did was replacing my 4 engine mount.

Date PurchasedJul 2015
Just to let you know guys that I was so happy with Outlander that I suggest my wife to buy ASX and she bought a new one on Sep 2018 MY18 base model with 24k which was a pretty good deal. It comes with 7years manufactur's warrenty and 3 years extended warrenty. There are lot of standard features which the same other classes does offer with additional 5k to 7k extra out of your pocket. It comes with a 65L tank. I went through some of reviews by the professional review writers and most of them differs from my experience. My suggestion to you guys are do not sololy make your decision upon the professional review writers because many of them are biased I think so. Though some of them are true. Please identify your need first, like what kind of car do you need for at least next 10 years, would it be a reliabl car, what are the after sales services, if there may rise any issue does they go for recall (like Honda did not went for recall for their airbag), modarate running cost, comfortable to drive, head and leg room, boot space and relevant technology are the few. Make your own list according to your need. In my case happy wife happy me.

Happy Days

We brought this Outlander about 1.5 months ago. There is not a single thing we dislike about it. In my opinion ... in terms of value for money it has to be the best buy for what you get. We have three kids and they have friends who want to do stuff with us and now we have a seven seat car, so they can just get into our car and come along to whatever we are doing. I just brought an iPhone X and it pairs fine using the blue tooth so that I can listen to music as well as use the phone or google maps. The interior looks good. One feature that my old car didn't have which the outlander has is a reverse camera, I thought this was a bit of a gimic but I don't think I could live without one now. I have also used the cruise control quite a lot on longer trips which I find is a bonus feature which comes as standard. We got a red car and also got roof racks. The 2018 model has a 2.4 litre engine and this is plenty big enough to pull our small trailer so we had a tow bar put on. We paid 29,990 for the Outlander and were given free auto, free red paint and free roof racks due to the end of financial year sale being on, we paid another $900 for the tow bar to be put on the vehicle. Our first service was free and then we get another three services at a discounted price, every 15000km until we have done 45000km which is a further saving. If you are absolutely loaded then you would be mad to buy this vehicle go and splash out on something luxurious and sporty, but for us on a tight budget, needing a family car without the bells and whistles, a reliable work horse that does everything we wanted at a price we could afford then this may also be the car for you.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Great car with a few small annoyances.

Bought the MY18 Outlander Exceed Petrol and have been driving it for several months now. Very comfortable, easy to drive, plenty of room and all the gadgets you could ever need and some you don't. I got it from Frankston Mitsubishi and they were great to deal with (and easy to haggle on all the extras).
Only a few small things that annoy me -
- The support beam between the windscreen and side windows does obstruct your view but this seems to be common to many cars these days.
- The front parking sensors seem to have a mind of their own, regularly they go on and off while stationary at traffic lights.
- The forward collision mitigation system doesn't really work well, I've had mine triggered several times by the headlights of cars heading the other way and get the "BRAKE" warning pop up but the system never actually engages the brakes itself.
- The advertised fuel economy as with most new cars is also a lie, they advertise 7.2L\100km but it's actually closer to 8.5L\100km.
- The Eco mode is pretty stupid. It just takes away your power but doesn't actually save you any fuel.

Despite these minor annoyances I would still recommend this car over any other in the similar category, I drove them all before deciding on the Outlander and the only one I though was better was the Mazda CX5 but the much higher price for less features as well as more frequent and more expensive service costs tipped the scales.

BadgeExceed
Date PurchasedOct 2017

Okay, but!

I got this car earlier this year (2018) and have had no issues with it mechanically. Unfortunately it is an automatic which has created some issues by it getting up to extremely high rpm when trying to maintain speed.
It has a lot of smarts built in. Some people may like these, but of course there are good and bad with each. One thing that is specifically annoying, as with most new cars these days, is that there is no CD player. For some reason the manufacturers think that everyone wants to transfer music across to USB (which by the way, we are not supposed to be doing except under certain circumstances). With kids, this has become very difficult and I would not recommend it. Some CDs have built in features so that you cannot transfer them to USB.
There is automatic lights, mirror dimming, lane departure, lights, wipers - all sorts. A splattered bug can turn on the wipers, not a pleasant result. It would be better if you could adjust a lot of these features to cater for your own tastes and for safety. The cruise control, yes you will not run into the back of a car in front, but you try coming up behind a car to overtake. Better with no cruise control in this situation.

BadgeCan’t remember
Date PurchasedMar 2018

Reliable jack of all trades and a great car for the money.

We've owned the car for just over 2 years now and it hasn't put a foot wrong. It's a very practical and well build car, one of the few SUV's that are still made in Japan. Our model had everything that we needed/wanted; 7 seats, bluetooth, 4wd, auto lights/wipers etc, all for a shade below 40k. You get a lot of car for the money, the other brands we looked at couldn't come near that. It's spacious and quiet inside and the seats are very comfortable, on short and long trips. I use around 10-12 litres per 100klm in mixed driving leaving it in 4wd auto all the time. The 7 seats have come in very handy, though the extra 2 seats are not for long journeys. The visibility is great and I don't know how I used to go without a rear vision camera. I had to recently put on the brakes hard, with the ABS kicking in, and I was pleasantly surprised by how quick the car came to a stop, so thumbs up for that too. 5 year warrantly and 3 years fixed price servicing gives us peace of mind. Only (minor) gripes I have with the car are that it could do with a bit more power and a bit less hard plastics inside. Other than that, a reliable jack of all trades and a great car for the money!

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Great Car

pro - Great car and comes with the sleek interior. Quite spacious and economical to run. Android auto and apple car play
Service has been quick and as per the expectation
great family car
Cons - Lags pickup because of CVT, but when in full mode it runs great without any hiccups.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Good pick up and comfortable driving

Very good in driving, very comfortable. Performance is very good as well as I have drove CRV as well. Likes it's rear space, biggest I have seen in comparative suv cars. Fuel economy is not as good as I would like but It's ok for suv. Off road is good as well.

Date PurchasedJul 2013

Great for a growing family

We have had this car for 8 years now and had no issues. Reliable and cheap to run. We have the LS 7 seat model but it really only fits 5 due to 3 kids still in car seats. The only reason I would get this again is we need a minibus as we intend to have more kids. Easy drive and the cruise control is great

Date PurchasedSep 2011

Great value

Great car for a young family of four. We've had this car for three years and it hasn't missed a beat. It has a large boot space and roomy interior. It is a bit on the plastic side inside but the price point makes up for that. Fuel economy is great with over 800km highway driving and over 600km city driving. We have the front whell drive model. I would definitely recommend this model Outlander.

TransmissionManual