See the Best Midsize / Medium SUVs in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Love it! Perfect car!

I have this car for over a year. I bought it as a new car in 2018(the last generation of Rav4 before the new model was coming). Easy driving, great rare camera and smart mirrors. Everything in this car is perfect and it’s Toyota, it always keeps the value.

Purchased in July 2018 at Toyota Illawara for $33,500.00.

Comfort

Bumpy worst than small cars

My gxl Rav4 2018 is very bumpy worst than small cars. It is sad to have such quality when you buy an SUV. Except that it's all good, gps is great, possibility to lock/unlock the car without using the remote control buttons, the cruise control ability to brake automatically and resume etc. Many great features. 6 months service is another issue, that's too much..

Purchased in June 2019.

Comfort

Reliable car from always reliable Toyota

Big fan of Toyota. We had to update the family car with a baby on the way so Toyota was a pretty easy choice. It’s not the most powerful car but that’s not much of an issue. Clean layout inside, knobs, buttons etc don’t feel cheap. Boot space is great (we have a big pram so it was a big consideration). Very happy with purchase

Purchased in October 2018 at Toyota Dealers for $23,000.00.

Year2017

Quality!

This is our 3rd RAV4. We just keep coming back because of the quality, reliability, practicality and space that the RAV4 offers compared to its mid size 4x4 competitors. We've never had one mechanical problem with our RAV4s. Invest in some good rubber like BFG for off-road or a wider profile tire for superior grip. Also impressed with the fuel economy. Heated seats in winter are amazing!

Purchased in March 2015 for $31,000.00.

Year2015
Comfort

Great Vehicle with so many extras included

I had a RAV4 Cabrio back in 1997...?? when they first came on the market. I loved this vehicle. We needed to upgrade and required a larger vehicle so decided, due to our previous positive experience, to go with the RAV4 again. A great all round vehicle with so many extras included. Love the lane indicators on the side mirrors, great for when vehicles are in your blind spot. It also has a lane alarm that tells you if you are straying out of your lane, another great safety aspect. The anti dazzle rear view mirror is also great and something i cannot do without at night. The seats are comfortable and its a great drive. My only disappointment is with the suspension. It is harder than I would have liked and not something that was really noticeable on a short test drive nor pointed out by the salesman when making our purchase. GREAT value vehicle and you cannot surpass the Toyota brand for reliability.

Purchased in December 2018 at Toyota Dealers for $28,000.00.

Comfort

Suits my lifestyle really well

Can't believe how much I save on petrol compared with my last car. Very comfy to drive and still plenty room for the grandchildren. Lots of clever features which one day I will master, I hope!!

Purchased in November 2018.

Comfort

Best investment I could have made

Use for work & recreation. Great on fuel economy, has all the bells and Whistles. Always do log book service. This car will now see us out past retirement. Lovely car to drive. Wasn't cheap but well worth the money spent. The service & support we have had from Toyota surpasses all expectations. We paid the extra to get paint protection, rust proofing and interior protection.

Purchased in June 2018 for $36,000.00.

Great SUV, exceeds expectations

Spent over 6 months reviewing online and test driving a range of mid-sized SUV's. Ended up buying the RAV4 due to this model being the new, 5th generation with stiffer sub-frame, lots of tech safety, Toyota's renowned (I have had several Toyota's over the last 4 decades) durability, low service costs. My concerns were:
1. Size of vehicle - the RAV4 has been getting larger over the last decade with each new model
2. Running costs and fuel efficiency.
We've had it 3 months now and couldn't be happier. Yes, it is a little larger than I would have liked but I did need to ensure I could fit my MTB in the back without removing wheels (just quicker and easier, particularly at END of rides) - this was a limiting factor in many of the rival mid size SUV's I checked. The fuel efficiency has really amazed me, I didn't expect to be able to match or beat the manufacturers figures as we all expect them to be in ideal, non real world environment. Admittedly I drive around town in ECO mode (I don't really need to drag anyone off from traffic lights?), but have consistently gotten 6.5l per 100km around town! and very close to 6 or less on weekend drives! Its very comfortable, the safety tech is impressive, we really look forward to 'going for a drive' in it. One downside from my point of view is the Satnav. I find it difficult to change settings, turn off the voice instructions, search for a destination, something my passenger can't do when the car is in motion presumably as a safety feature to ensure lone drivers aren't distracted? Also its detection of school safety zones is not time-of-day specific so it warns me at midnight on weekends when i approach, enter and leave a school safety zone! I finally managed to turn of the voice warnings for this "feature". Also the Satnav maps aren't really accurate, beforementioned school safety zones are detected even when i am in a side street NEAR the zones, also as with most Satnav, the maps are not fully up to date.
Capped price servicing was another feature that sold me on the RAV4, they supposedly include consumables and are amongst the lowest of all 2019 model mid-size SUV's
If efficient, reliable, roomy mid size SUV is what you're after, consider test driving a RAV4, AWD is available in all models - as is hybrid engines - I chose not to select either to keep my car as simple as possible for a 2019 model ...

Purchased in June 2019 at Charlestown Toyota for $40,000.00.

New Rav4

I have a 2010 Rav4 Cruiser which went in for a service. I was given a 2019 Rav4 as a loan car. Drive was nice and smooth but car felt bigger than mine. Technology was awesome like lane assist and blind spot monitor and LED lights. Only downfall is the run flat spare tyre and non adjustable back row seats. I was expecting a compact car feel but it felt bigger than what it looked like. Overall it was great but I still prefer my 2010 Rav4.

Excellent car

Bought this car in 2012 with 140k on it. Drove it from WOLLONGONG to Bega for 6 years for work. Serviced every 10k replaced brakes pads, rear wheel bearings and finally clutch at 270k.

This has to be the best car I’ve ever owned and I’ve owned a few in 40 years of driving, expect 500k with no problem.

Just bought another RAV4 2004, if it half as good as this one I’ll be very happy.

Purchased in February 2012 for $11,000.00.

TransmissionManual
Year2003

Satisfied

This car is only Recommended for couple or family who loves to travel. it has huge boot capacity. The engine is fuel efficient even though it has huge body and carry much weight.

Purchased in September 2018 at Toyota Dealers.

Year2016

the perfect family car

Bought as ex demo in 2013... 20k on the speedo. now has 220k on the speedo..an even mix of city and country driving. never missed a beat. roomy, safe and good on petrol.

Purchased in June 2013 for $25,000.00.

Year2011

totally regretted after buying my Rav4 2017

this rav4 i use it for family use and i drive it everyday and always sent my car for service when the date is due.

the suspension is horrible even a small pot hole on the road u get a bumpy ride! and the road noise as if u are on the plane so noisy!

when i sent is for service with toyota dealer they told me there nothing wrong!
well now after 3 years i had enough i going to install shock absorbers this coming monday!
going to cost me $800

as for the noise i have to save money maybe next 2 year i can install noise deadening!
totally regret i paid almost $40K for this Rav4

no more toyota car for me if i were to change car in future :)
even if i were given a new toyota car i wont accept it.

Purchased in May 2017 for $40.00.

Comfort
went to sent my Rav4 to the mechanic to installed the shock absorbers. before he install it he check my car shock absorbers and find it there nothing wrong with it. he advice me since there nothing wrong then there no need to install a new shock absorbers. that mean the car design is like that! and i have to live with it! totally not worth it :(

Excellent vehicle

Top of the range cruiser, lots of useful features, good performance for a 2.5 litre,quiet and comfortable to drive ,great on fuel (8.5 9.0 lper 100k). A bit pricey up front but should last us 10 years or more.

Purchased in March 2019 at Toyota Dealers for $44,990.00.

Really disappointing

I receive this 2017 Auto Rav4 AWD GXL as a company car. I've driven it for 35000 km around Victoria and SA.
Pros: the lock differential is good for off road. Light weight. Huge boot. Seating position adequate either for driver and rear occupants. Racks supports are handy.
Cons:
Noisy car: tyres, wind, engine, all filtered to the cabin, even at 80 km/hr
Ground clearance could be very good , but it has the exhaust underneath the oil sump.. very poor design.
Lights: worst light I've use in a car. High or low beam are terrible. Really dangerous for Australia as you can't see the wildlife or anything else. Do not drive this car at night during raining as you will feel blind. Don't know the problem with led lights, but the reflection coming from the signs on the road will blind you. I've complained 2 times, but it is all normal apparently.
Paintwork: The paintwork is really thin. The lacquer (or clear coat) is a joke. Any scratch will reach the prime coat.
Transmission: jerk, slow, too prone to go down on gears, even when you want it to hold. It is really annoying when driving uphill: up and down over and over. Doesn't hold downhill even in manual when you want to use engine brake.
Engine: doesn't like to rev. The match with the transmission is really poor. Really old school and thirsty. Not refine at all!!
Suspension: too hard and bumpy. Lots of body roll, understeer and torque steer.
Assembly quality: you would expect high quality at least in this area (coming from Japan), but it is also terrible, I'm using cardboard to reduce the noise from the stereo. All the doors have assembly noises as well. Closing the doors or the bonnet feels like tinplate garbage lids..
Technology and software: What? The navigation system is from a decade ago, same as the stereo. Sound quality is terrible. The cruise control is terrible, either to operate or functionality: seems like it can't never find a set point and stay stable, always accelerating and slowing down, terrible for fuel consumption.
Windshield: same as the paintwork, very thin and susceptible to little stones.
Steering: heavy and uninspiring. No feedback at all. Hard to use when parking.
Air-con: same as the cruise control, it struggles to find the set point. 24 degrees can be too cold or too warm depending on the season you are travelling. No rear vents.
Dynamics: with that steering and suspension, what can you expect? The AWD system doesn't engage and the whole car feels like FWD.
Service: every 6 months or 10.000 km. It is cheap though.
Interior: there is not much space on the doors, very shallow and not suitable even for 1 Lt bottles. Cup holders ok.
Seats: not suitable for more than 4 hours.
Design: well... it is subject to personal taste, but I think is really ugly from exterior and interior.
Horn: more suitable for and old Fiat 600 or Mini...

Purchased in July 2017.

Year2017

Dinky little 4x4

I was pleasantly surprised by this little Dinky Toy(ota). It is extremely pleasant to drive although it has a lot of road noise. It handles well, goes off road well and even has central diff lock. I use it daily as my work hack and it is economic for a full time 4wd. I bought this with a problem knowing its fix. It pops out of 5th gear but being a known problem with many Toyota manual gearboxes all I have to do is replace the 5th gear and the synchro hub sleeve which should take me about half an hour to an hour's labour(it can be done with the box in place). Once I have that done I will insulate under the carpetting to sort out the road noise and then it will be 100% pleasant.

Purchased in March 2019 for $1,650.00.

TransmissionManual
Year1995
Comfort

nice to drive very comfortable

all the safety features you could want I like it its good price up front its capped price services 3 years are excellent great field of vision all round safe economical good drive

Purchased in January 2019 at lander toyota for $33,490.00.

Toyota, could be better.

I go to an from work an shopping, but long trips, undered powered, I got three kids an it is a bit small for them, I got the two wheel drive because the All Wheel Drive use too much petrol which makes the engine work harder. I am use to a two wheel drive any way. Plus the all Wheel Drive cost more to service/own/ etc, I can,t see the point of an A.W.D car. Diesel is only good for medium to long trips, not made for short trips.

BadgeGXL
Date PurchasedOct 2006
DriveFWD

Top of the line!!

We picked up a Toyota Rav4, AWD cruiser, fully loaded.
That comes with heated leather seats, sunroof and all safety bells and whistles of newer models.
It is a safe car and gives 12 km /l, which is impressive for a 2.4 l engine.
Very smooth and a pleasure on any kind of surface.
Disadvantage:
No AC vents to the back seats. Not sure why no one thought of these.

BadgeCruiser
Date PurchasedNov 2017

Wow Toyota make cars that last

My Toyota Rav 4 and myself have been everywhere from driving on an open road to driving in the city absolutely perfect

BadgeCruiser
Date PurchasedAug 2016

Hi I’m thinking to buy a rav4 gxl diesel 12/2013 at 22k. Is this price ok? Toyota stop making the diesel-powered rav4. I’m a bit concerned that what if I need parts for diesel-powered engine. Should I buy this then?
Too much money for an old car! 2013?!. Don’t buy discontinued one with exy price!It only did 55k Kms though

Is it a good idea to purchase a well looked after regularly serviced one owner 2010 rav4 cv manual with 290,000 kms or better to buy one with lower? Does it really matter?
290000 kms! Too much kms! Think twice!

I have just bought a 2010 Rav4 altitude and I can't seem to figure out the steering lock... does it have one?
Hi Isabella, Go to YouTube and type “How to lock or unlock steering wheel Toyota” Hope it help. Cheers!

Toyota RAV4 Edge (2019)Toyota RAV4 GX 2.0L Petrol Manual (2019)Toyota RAV4 GX 2.0L Petrol CVT (2019)Toyota RAV4 GX 2.5L Hybrid 2WD (2019)Toyota RAV4 GX 2.5L Hybrid AWD (2019)Toyota RAV4 GXL 2.0L Petrol (2019)Toyota RAV4 GXL 2.5L Hybrid 2WD (2019)Toyota RAV4 GXL 2.5L Hybrid AWD (2019)Toyota RAV4 Cruiser 2.0L Petrol (2019)Toyota RAV4 Cruiser 2.5L Hybrid 2WD (2019)Toyota RAV4 Cruiser 2.5L Hybrid AWD (2019)Toyota RAV4 XA20 (2001-2005)Toyota RAV4 XA30 (2006-2012)Toyota RAV4 XA40 GX 2WD 2L Petrol Manual (2013-2019)Toyota RAV4 XA40 GX 2WD 2L Petrol Auto CVT (2013-2019)Toyota RAV4 XA40 GX AWD 2.2L Diesel Auto (2013-2019)Toyota RAV4 XA40 GX AWD 2.5L Petrol Auto (2013-2019)Toyota RAV4 XA40 GXL 2WD 2L Petrol Auto CVT (2013-2019)Toyota RAV4 XA40 GXL AWD 2.2L Diesel Auto (2013-2019)Toyota RAV4 XA40 GXL AWD 2.5L Petrol Auto (2013-2019)Toyota RAV4 XA40 Cruiser AWD 2.5L Petrol Auto (2013-2019)Toyota RAV4 XA40 Cruiser AWD 2.2L Diesel Auto (2013-2019)
CategoryMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVs
Starting Price $51,687$34,449$36,670$39,245$42,335$40,378$42,953$46,043$43,365$45,940$49,062$33,217$35,317$45,373$38,565$39,595$49,563$42,685$48,893$55,203
TransmissionAutomaticManualContinuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)ManualContinuously Variable (CVT)AutomaticAutomaticContinuously Variable (CVT)AutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomatic
Drive TypeAll Wheel Drive (AWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD) and Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD) and Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD) and Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolHybridHybridPetrolHybridHybridPetrolHybridHybridPetrolPetrolDieselPetrolPetrolDieselPetrolPetrolDiesel
Wheels19" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy19" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars
Doors55555555555555555555
Seats55555555555555555555
Fuel Consumption7.3 L/100km6.8 L/100km6.5 L/100km4.7 L/100km4.8 L/100km6.5 L/100km4.7 L/100km4.8 L/100km6.5 L/100km4.7 L/100km4.8 L/100km7.7 L/100km7 L/100km8.5 L/100km8.5 L/100km7 L/100km8.5 L/100km8.5 L/100km8.5 L/100km8.5 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 55 L55 L55 L55 L55 L55 L55 L55 L55 L55 L55 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L
Engine4 Cylinder 2.5L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.5L4 Cylinder 2.5L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.5L4 Cylinder 2.5L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.5L4 Cylinder 2.5L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.2L4 Cylinder 2.5L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.2L4 Cylinder 2.5L4 Cylinder 2.5L4 Cylinder 2.2L
Max Power152kW @ 6600rpm127kW @ 6600rpm127kW @ 6600rpm160kW163kW127kW @ 6600rpm160kW163kW127kW @ 6600rpm160kW163kW107kW @ 6200rpm107kW @ 6200rpm132kW @ 6000rpm132kW @ 6000rpm107kW @ 6200rpm107kW @ 6200rpm132kW @ 6000rpm132kW @ 6000rpm132kW @ 6000rpm
Max Torque243Nm @ 4000-5000rpm203Nm @ 4400-4900rpm203Nm @ 4400-4900rpm221Nm @ 3600rpm221Nm @ 3600rpm203Nm @ 4400-4900rpm221Nm @ 3600rpm221Nm @ 3600rpm203Nm @ 4400-4900rpm221Nm @ 3600rpm221Nm @ 3600rpm187Nm @ 3600rpm187Nm @ 3600rpm233Nm @ 4100rpm233Nm @ 4100rpm187Nm @ 3600rpm187Nm @ 3600rpm233Nm @ 4100rpm233Nm @ 4100rpm233Nm @ 4100rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapan
Safety Features
Extra Features
  • 360° Camera
  • USB Port
Ground Clearance195 mm195 mm195 mm190 mm190 mm190 mm190 mm190 mm195 mm190 mm190 mm
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)1,500 kg800 kg800 kg480 kg1,500 kg800 kg480 kg1,500 kg800 kg480 kg1,500 kg800 kg800 kg1,500 kg1,500 kg800 kg800 kg1,500 kg1,500 kg1,500 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg480 kg750 kg750 kg480 kg750 kg750 kg480 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateMay 2019May 2019May 2019May 2019May 2019May 2019May 2019May 2019May 2019May 2019May 2019Jan 2001Jan 2006Feb 2013Feb 2013Feb 2013Feb 2013Feb 2013Feb 2013Feb 2013Feb 2013Feb 2013
Discontinuation dateDec 2005Dec 2012Apr 2019Apr 2019Apr 2019Apr 2019Apr 2019Apr 2019Apr 2019Apr 2019Apr 2019