Subaru Forester

S3, 79V, 1997 Release, etc... (See All)
See the Best Midsize / Medium SUVs in 2022 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by Subaru Australia

Needs repair every 6,000km

Kerri Robertson
Kerri RobertsonGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

An Exceptional Vehicle!

Roomy enough to carry our precious, extra large dog yet small enough to be manageable in an underground carpark, it is hard to fault the Forester! With inclusions such as heated seats, a stop start system to conserve fuel and rear wipers for those foggy mornings, it has the feel of a luxury vehicle without the hefty price tag!

SubaruSubaru AustraliaSend a private message

Kerri, thank you for taking the time to write an awesome review. We are so happy you're happy! We look forward to creating many memories with your Subaru Forester. Safe travels

Kind Regards, The Subaru Team

Graeme S
Graeme SWestern Australia

Intermittently Stalls in Drive Mode and Park Mode

My forester 2014, 2.5L has started to intermittently stall when I come to a stop in both the Park Mode and Drive Mode. My ignition lights go on and the alarm is going off. I have the auto start/ stop button ,turned off when I drive. The car is warm not cold. There are no codes coming on to warm me of the problem.

Michael F.
Michael F.Sydney, NSW

Has potential, but…

MattGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Fine until the warranty ends

I was charged $480 for 75 minutes of labour by the service division at Subaru. I was charged $850+ to replace a part that I was told wasn’t under warranty even though the car had done 99,000km. Then, after paying, I was told the replacement part has a 100,000km warranty. I questioned why I was charged such a high labour rate and why a part wasn’t covered under warranty and Subaru now refuses to respond.

Matt

LOL. Did you even read my review? I’ve already contacted you via email and phone - everyone says they’ll get back to me and no one does.

Shabbir A.
Shabbir A.Sydney, NSW

No beep sound while lock and unlocking door

Recent bought 2022 forester 2.5i-s and waiting for the delivery. Really disappointed while locking unlocking doors but no beeping sound. It just flashing a light at top of range model. I asked the dealership but they said already have factory fitted alarm on it and other dealer said $700 for alarm option. Who is right? Really confused.

• Incentivised Review No
  • TransmissionAutomatic
  • BoughtNew

Sudden Acceleration and Jerking

Today is the fifth day that I got my new Forester 2.5i-S. Today when I was decelerating and near to stop, the car sudden accelerates itself, it makes me almost crash the car in front of me. Besides that, it also lurch and jerks very often during deceleration or slightly acceleration. I think it’s an engine or transmission programming issue, I’m not dare to drive it now, I have called the dealer’s service department and they replied that they have never heard this issue with my model before. I used to own other brands of cars but never experienced this before, it’s weird, especially for a new car. Totally disappointed and want to sell it immediately.

• Incentivised Review No
  • BoughtNew
  • Year2022

Clara V.
Make staying at home more enjoyable with these products and tips

make-staying-at-home-more-enjoyable-with-these-products-and-tips
How to be more eco-friendly when you're gifting this Christmas

how-to-be-more-eco-friendly-when-youre-gifting-this-christmas
Philip M.
Philip M.

Capable and comfortable SUV for active families

Purchased for $33,000.

Very disappointed
Very disappointedNSW, 2540

Defective Eyesight Cruise Control

Mazharul I.
Mazharul I.Sydney, NSW

Leather sit cover (driver side) damaged after 7 years

I purchased my Subaru Forester 2.5i-S S4 Auto AWD MY14 2014 in Dec 2014. Was happy with the car except few minor issue and interior quality. Me and my wife use this and taken max care of it, always serviced from Subaru, the car looks like new but unfortunately the driver side sit cover has been damaged unexpectedly (other sit covers looks new!). Yes it is 7 years old but it looks like a poor quality sit cover. Emailed to Subaru Australia but not happy with their reply. Now I need to spend $1600 to fix it from Subaru! That is too much!

Purchased in for $43,000.

Pepe L.Sydney, NSW

Cvt making noise at 65k kms

Pepe L.

I haven’t even had the car looked at yet
How has it been investigated if we don’t even know what the problem is?
It’s book in for accessment in 2 weeks

Max WoolcockGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Very good vehicle but a few short comings

Purchased in for $32,000.

Max Woolcock

Contact Subaru as requested but no reply at this stage - certainly no case manager has responded - approximately 3 months has gone by.

SubaruSubaru AustraliaSend a private message

Hi Max, we're so sorry to hear this, could you please contact our Customer Relations Team on 1800 22 66 43 (Monday to Friday 8.30am5.00pm AEST). We look forward to speaking to you.
Kind Regards, The Subaru Team

Best family mobility machine

Subaru is kind of if you know you know car. Those who don’t know will likely opt for Mazda CX or Toyota RAV4.

Long in short, unmatchable handling, safety, visibility and characteristics stands out among all other Japanese SUV.

The only thing concerns me is the popularity is good for Subaru but makes it less individual. But you will have new turbo Forester or WRX wagon in near future to ease your mind.

Chloe G
Chloe GPerth, WA

Defective Seatbelts!

The rear passenger seatbelt has never retracted properly from when we purchased the new vehicle 15 months ago. As a result the belt is often left in the door reveal and much damage has occurred when passengers have unknowingly shut the door on the seatbelt. Subaru continues to blame us for the damage. Moreover we have been driving around with what are essentially defective seatbelts! Finally they have agreed to replace the seatbelts but will not repair the damage done to the door reveal (they say this would be too costly to the environment!) I look forward to having some safe seatbelts in my car Subaru. The vehicle itself is great, but we are very disappointed in Subaru who pride themselves as selling safe vehicles.

Purchased in for $50,000.

Hoang Le
Hoang LePerth, WA

Functions are working but driving experience is bad

Purchased in at Subaru Dealers for $40,000.

Mike W.
Mike W.asked
Forester

Anybody know how to turn on the heater

SubaruSubaru AustraliaSend a private message

Hi Mike, we'd love to help you out please call our Customer Relations Team on 1800 22 66 43 (Monday to Friday 8.30am5.00pm AEST). We look forward in hearing from you.
Kind Regards The Subaru Team

Andyasked
Forester

HI
Have had a 2021 Forester since March. Generally going well, although far too many things to learn about the car and not always easy to find the info I'm after in the huge owners manual. My question relates to poor fuel economy in the city. I noticed it from new and mentioned it at the 3 month courtesy service, but got a silly explanation from the Subaru dealer, who suggested perhaps having roof racks (drag) and a tow bar fitted (weight) were the cause. Have done around 9000km after 9 months and still averaging 11l/100km, so I am wondering if this is normal. On a country drive of 600km , with roof racks + surf ski, and the towbar, the fuel economy dropped down to around 7-7.5l/100km. This is in line with the vehicle specification for country driving, but I have never gotten under 10.5l/100km in the city and the long term average remains at 11l/100km, yet the specification for urban driving is 9.4. I had hoped the Subaru would do better than my previous vehicle, which was a much more powerful turbocharged Ford Escape AWD, which I thought was thirsty at 10.5l/100km. Unfortunately the Forester is slightly worse, at least in the city. Any suggestions?

Jeff
Jeffasked
Forester S3 (2008-2012)

Thinking of buying a 2008 Subaru Forester XS S3 Manual AWD MY09. Took it for a test drive and after it warmed up there was a definite rev surge when I put the clutch in. Is this a problem? If so, can it be fixed easily?

Deedub55
Deedub55
SubaruSubaru AustraliaSend a private message

Hi Jeff, we are sorry to hear this. You may contact your local Subaru Service team to assist in diagnosing the vehicle. If we are able to assist please reach out at feedback@subaru.com.au .
Regards
The Subaru Team

Get an answer from our members and Subaru Australia representatives

Compare all 18 Subaru Forester
CategoryMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVs
Starting Price $39,399.00$41,718.00$47,958.00$44,808.00
TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)
Drive TypeAll Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Max Torque239Nm @ 4400rpm239Nm @ 4400rpm239Nm @ 4400rpm239Nm @ 4400rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapan
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)1,500 kg1,500 kg1,500 kg1,500 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
Dimensions