Safe, Reliable and wonderful car to drive! Highy Recommend!

I have a my18 XT Premium Forester, for the uninitiated that’s means a petrol turbo charged, symmetrical All Wheel Drive vehicle with leather interior. I owned it since new for nearly 18mths with over 32,000 km travelled.

Coming from a Highway Patrol background and presently being a National Road Safety and Compliance Manager for a global company, I have over 30 years experience in road safety and collision investigations, I cannot give a higher recommendation than I personally entrust this vehicle to convey my most precious cargo of two kids 9 and 7, .... alright and the minister for war and finance (wife) as she’s hovering around me as I write.

It is often brushed over or dismissed by reviewers that don’t understand crash dynamics the actual benefits of “Symmetrical” AWD that only Subaru offer standard from a general road handling and holding in all conditions but it seriously rises above all others in adverse conditions where the traction is second to non. Add to this all the safety technology and wizardry and you have an amazing vehicle for the money. From a safety background it’s the attention to detail to safety that makes this car a true champion of champions. The seating position and driver ergonomics are in a word “brilliant” giving excellent all round vision even to the placement of side mirrors to minimise obstruction in usual blind spot at the front in some other brands. The “eyesight” features along with all the other multifaceted safety features come together in concert to deliver a premium safety package far beyond the price paid delivering true value for money. I must mention here that impact forces in collision are massive that I’ve seen Subaru handle in real world collision situations extremely well protecting the occupants from potential serious or fatal injuries. This is due to Subaru’s clever design and impact crumple zones again often overlooked by reviewers. Let me explain, they have a boxer motor (flat) that it actually designed go under the vehicle not into front seat occupants as normal raised engines do in frontal impacts, as I’ve seen previously in serious or fatal collisions. I would not dismiss this fact, seriously clever and smart.

You only need one collision whether you are in the right or wrong the laws of physics and impact forces come into play and it is always better to put the odds in your favour as you can’t have a dress rehearsal.

I have also been towing an Adria caravan since December 2018 that’s 1.6 ton fully laden albeit to my wife that appears to be trying to impersonate a gifted prophet of carry enough food to feed as well as clothe the 5000 whilst allocating me enough space for 1 pair of underpants, singlet and socks...although I still waiting for her to turn water into wine for medicinal purposes only to no avail! So, I recently towed it for 4,200 Klm over 3 weeks up steep hills in extreme temperatures 45 degree heat and all terrains and with the turbo model these hills were not noticed. It is extremely comfortable for all passengers and my two kids under 9 love it, especially albeit perfectly their back seat driving techniques vide watching all instruments inciting entertaining back seat driving conversations genetically passed on by the mobile handbrake aka Clayton driving instructor that has had more prangs than Evil Kaneval in front passenger seat (wife)- but seriously they all love the seat and door pockets. It has the perfect carry space for our “soccer” kit.... yes dad.... alas our AFL gene was not dominant here compared to the dark side (in-laws)! That said, the Forester has never failed us for room.

Fuel consumption; is great on highway only I’ve had around 6.4kl to 100klm at 110kph.
On average I get 8 to 9 litres to 100klm combined which is excellent for 2ltr turbo. It is all relative to travel times (peak) and distance of travel.

All round the Subaru Forester has been brilliant, I have only had the battery replaced under warranty after running it flat in which Subaru immediately replaced in 40 minutes. Further the servicing from Subaru Parramatta has been wonderful and brilliant. I must say that I am meticulous about my car being former highway patrol in relation to nil dents or scratched rims that the dealer has always returned in A1 condition.

All around excellent experience with Subaru Forester and Servicing, highly recommend this vehicle.

Purchased in October 2017 at Trivett Subaru Paramatta for $47,500.00.

TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)

TERRIBLE is an Understatement: AVOID Poor Quality and Over Hyped

AVOID like the plague Poor Quality and Over Hyped: Where do I start. I seriously can not believe how many people are brainwashed and suckered into thinking Subaru are a high quality brand.

First of many negatives: Crap build quality, aesthetically UGLY and multiple faults both before and after the warranty expired. Seriously I can't believe its a Japanese company ( I recon its an Indonesian company posing as a Japanese brand). Never again will i consider this brand (unless they gave me the car for free!), and pity the suckers (like me) who get sold on all the hype.

I had multiple problems: Radiator only lasted 5 years and had to be replaced at high cost, power window motors died out after 4 years, constant electrical problems and the fuel economy is like a V8. Resale value was poor. My cousin also had a Subaru and after the warranty expired the manual transmission packed it in: $10K to repair. Everyone I know who has owned them has has complained about multiple problems. Be warned Service and spare parts are an absolute rip off, the brand is way way over rated hence my new name for the brand Junk-aru. Would only recommend to my enemies and politicians. If there was a negative 5 star rating that would be generous.

Do your self a favor buy a real Japanese brand like Mazda or Honda not this imposer.

Purchased in October 2015 for $41,000.00.

Really disappointed

We purchased a new Forester recently and within the first couple of days an error appeared which disabled all electronic features. It is taking 3 weeks to get fixed. Not reliable.

Purchased in January 2019.

Serious Design Flaws and Product Issues

I have a 2012 Forester which I have always looked after it and now having head gasket leaking issues after only 40,000km!!!
always serviced it in the dealership and let me tell you, log book service is really expensive, major ones costed me ~$900 and it is every 6m.never been off road and never towed anything with it…they reported the leak first service after warranty was finished. Now call me cynical but I have a feeling that they kindda ignored it while it was under warranty…I’m finding now it is a common problem due to design and material of the gaskets, but Subaru never recalled because it costs $2-3kplus to fix. Dealership I’ve bought it from in Perth and always serviced it doesn’t even want to give me a repair quote and just don’t wanna deal with it! I’m gonna stay away for from Subarus for the rest of my life and advise everyone I love to do the same. So much for 6m expensive service…

Purchased in May 2013.

Great, but not perfect.

We have the 2.5iL model which is one up from the entry level model.

Love the amount of gear you get for the price, interior space is outstanding for a car of it's size.

The headlights are brilliant (pun intended!), ride and handling are great. Fuel economy is good, power is adequate, front seats are comfy, (but a little short for taller people like myself).

The car is reasonably quiet inside, although the engine is a bit loud when accelerating, but quietens down when up to speed.

Really the only real disappointment is the sound system - its clean and loud enough, but it's pretty light on
bass, I would call it almost tinny. This is a real disappointment in a car costing close to $40,000

But all in all I'm very happy with the car and would recommend it. Just be prepared to shell out some extra bucks to upgrade the stereo.

Purchased in January 2019.

TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)
Comfort
Just an update as more things have become apparent... My previous vehicle was a 2014 Nissan Pathfinder, so in comparison to that the Forester is a fair bit noisier inside - for both wind and tyre noise. And whilst it does handle better than the Pathfinder, the ride is considerably firmer. One online review I read said that it had a silky, compliant ride that just glides over pot-holes and bumps. That reviewer had obviously not actually driven the car. To be honest I'm not really sure how the Forester compares in these departments to other mid-size SUV's - I haven't driven them. But for anyone (like me) that is downsizing from a large SUV, it's worth noting that it is noisier inside and harder riding. Oh, and Subaru really sucks at cabin ergonomics. Switch gear is awkwardly placed and hard to reach. The engine start button is pretty effectively obscured by the steering wheel. The buttons to the lower left of the steering wheel are hard to see and access. The tyre pressure monitoring switch is inside the (small) glovebox (!) The interior mirror does not have enough adjustment range for taller drivers. And don't even get me started on the Android Auto issues! The switch gear itself does feel good to use and seems to be of good quality, but jeez Subaru - hire a new interior designer!

Love our new car!

True, we are only 5 days into our new Forester 2.51 S but wow! Silky smooth to drive, plenty of power, amazing technology covering everything you could need. Real luxury car feel with soft leather and great finishes. Traded in an xc90 and loving our experience.
Did lots of research before buying looked at xc60, x3, discovery sport (awful reliability), Honda CRV, Mazda X5...the Subaru came out on top for us with plenty of space, awd, latest release and features, great price compared to all the others.
So far so great!

Date PurchasedJan 2019
DriveAWD

Simply easy to use - teenagers love it

Have just bought this demo car, after using it as a loan car for 2 months. Traded my old car once fixed as this Forester is too good to let go...
Love the safety features, anti-collision (both front and rear), multiple cameras whilst parking or reversing, as well as staying with lanes on motorways and busy roads. We downgraded from a 7 seater SUV to this 5 seater car, kids happy with this.

Date PurchasedFeb 2019

This is a fantastic car

A great and very safe car, ideal in traffic or on long intercity drives. Its very economical, very comfortable. I would recommend this vehicle to any person looking for a safe vehicle. Its also great value, cheep to insure and has a 10year warranty great boot, in fact I love it

Badge2.5i Luxury
Date PurchasedAug 2018

Best in its class

After owning a 2002 sf5 gt forester it was time for something bigger. Kids were starting to feel abit cramped. Luckily along comes the SH . Size wise it is as amazing with plenty of room for 5 adults. But after having a gt and being able to boost down the highway I needed an xt. With the 2.5l turbo out of a wrx (gt had a WRX motor with different heads and turbo) wow was I surprised when I put my foot down. Plant of power. A car that makes you smile everytime you get in. Was lucky to get the premium edition so full leather. Sun roof and sat navigation. For only $10000 with moderate is on the clock if this is the size car your after take one for a drive. I promise you wont be disappointed

BadgeXT Premium
Date PurchasedDec 2018

Best family car

I got this car because I was starting a family and it hasn’t disappointed me yet. It’s a smooth drive and is the perfect size for the fam.

It is super spacious - I think because there is many windows and it’s a boxy-ish car now like the slick back type Rav 4 (which I was going to get).

Engine Size2.0
Date PurchasedMay 2017

Perfect for us

This is our third Forester and have had it for almost 3 years now. It's been excellent with absolutely no issues. I find it's performance more than adequate and is so much better than competitors AWDs on indifferent quality roads (and I've driven most of the competitors for my work in rural areas) with the full-time all wheel drive being a major benefit. I see no reason to change it for many years to come (although the new model looks a bit enticing).

Date PurchasedJan 2016
DriveAWD

Doesn't live up to the hype!

Bought a Forester XS Premium new, and after 10 years of ownership (and 130,000kms) it has cost me far more in repairs than my old SAAB that I have owned for 20 years!! The Forester has been used every day since new, mostly around the city with the occasional country drive, and serviced religiously according to the service manual.

Apart from the frustrations of having to shift down to 3rd on any long steep hill, the car drives reasonably well, but replacing the bushes at 80,000kms, the timing belt at 110,000kms and now the head gasket, and recent problems with a dodgy air-conditioning unit, I'm not about to go back to Subaru for my next new car. A little on line research and talking to local mechanics has revealed that Subaru are well aware that head gasket issues are a recurring problem in the Forester, and at $3,500 to replace, a cost that is hard to swallow.

So disappointed, as one of the key reasons I bought the Forester was the supposed build quality reputation, but clearly that is all marketing hype. I need to get rid of this vehicle before the next problem rears its ugly head, and a Subaru Forester will definitely NOT be on my shopping list for a new SUV in the next couple of months!

BadgeXS Premium
Date PurchasedJul 1998

Spacious functional wagon

Bought our Forester in 2014 and nothing has ever gone wrong since. It is very spacious for transporting large teenage boys around which is the best thing plus lots of boot space.
It cruises very well on long journeys, absorbs the bumps, and seems fuel efficient.
The only two annoying things are the automatic engine switch off which I find very irritating and you whilst you can turn it off for each journey, the default is always on. The other thing is it's not that attractive looking, a bit boring in my opinion but, it does the job and I'd highly recommend it for a family car with great safety features.

Badge2.5i
Date PurchasedApr 2014

Perfect car

I brought this car in 2014 and i have been in love with it ever since. its a very fun and reliable car to drive. it is the perfect size and is very stable on the road in all road and weather conditions. I mostly use the car to commute to and from work in the city but have also been very happy using to to go on road trips up the coast in the summer months. I find this car to be very reliable and fuel efficient and would recommend a Subaru Forester to anyone :)

BadgeXS
Date PurchasedMar 2014

Perfect car for the family

I brought this car on 2015 and I love it.Its perfect car for my family and we have been in this car for few long trips and it is absolute pleasure to drive this car.The safety features are terrific.And then again,it efficiency is great and gives great mileage, its very smooth to drive around.

Date PurchasedOct 2015

Absolutely love the Forester

I bought my 2016 Subaru Forester 5 months ago after looking at several different make of cars. I had previously driven ford falcons for the last 20 yrs I love the Forester. Its fun to drive, smooth and very stable on the road in all weather conditions. It has plenty of pep and excellent vision all around. The seat is at the perfect hight for me, I just slide in and out which puts no strain on my arthritic knees as do cars that are lower or higher to get in and out of. I'm not very tech savy but have had no trouble using the interface. It did take a while to work out what all the controls do but they are all easily accessed from the drivers seat. Fuel economy is around 6.4 country/freeways and 8.4 city.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Good vehicle wife loves it!

Recently upgraded to the new Forester from our older Outback. Second Subaru and love the dependability of the car, it has taken a bit of getting used to the key less entry as previous cars all had keys. The drive of the car is faultless and comfortable and teaching our daughter on her "L"s to drive in the new car has been quite easy and she is more than comfortable with its size.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Love it

really good handling love it I totally love it not a lot of noise in the car comfortable seats, average legroom, good Dashboard not expensive at all for a car! quite hard to connect up with bluetooth, didn't like the stereo, so it is an average car i reckon. ok

Engine Size2.0
Date PurchasedApr 2013

Fantastic all rounder car

This is my 3rd subaru forester. I originally purchased an old SF5 as a rounaround car and fell in love with it. Since then I've upgraded to a SG9 and now a SH9 because I can't fault them.
They can handle soft off-road and quite comfortable on the highways too. Lots of legroom in front and back even with child seat.

BadgeXT
Date PurchasedNov 2017

Very Good All - Rounder 2006 Subaru Forester XT MY07

What a fun car to own and drive. :) It was always great around town and on long trips. Used to do 13hr/1,200kms+ trips from Qld to Nsw, plenty of power on tap when needed. This car could go anywhere,shops,offroad beach driving, drag strip, it did it all. :)

Ok all this positive stuff is getting boring... what issues did i have? :)

Bought the car with 100,000kms on the clock, around 160,000kms it started burning oil, when i sold it, it was burning 500ml of oil every 2,000kms. According to Subaru this is perfectly fine. I have spoken with Lots of 2.5T subaru owners, and it seems that most burn oil. But i also own a 2003 wrx sti with a EJ207 2ltr turbo motor and it burns No oil. If you do your own servicing like myself and regularly check it you will be fine. :)

Another thing is Secondary Air Pump Failure, can be expensive to fix, but there is cheap ways to fix it. please click the link for a write up i did on the Forester fourms.

Fuel wise: 60L tank, only ever used BP 98. Best i did was 9.3ltr/100kms,500-550kms per tank on the highway driving like a grandma. Otherwise around town except 400/450kms a tank before fuel light comes, depends on the right foot.

All up I Loved this car, but it does require extra maintenance and it can be costly unless you do stuff yourself.

Yes, i would own another. :)

BadgeXT
TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedMar 2013

how many keys can i reprogram for remote

how many keys to reprogram to remote subaru forester

Can anyone tell me an insurance company for Subaru wrx 04 . I got aftermarket exhaust, airfilter and BOV. My previous insurer have cancelled my policy because they can’t cover my modifications. What can I do ?
Shannon’s

Forester S5 2.5iForester S5 2.5i-LForester S5 2.5i-SForester S5 2.5i PremiumForester S3Forester S4 2.0iForester S4 2.0i-LForester S4 2.5iForester S4 2.5i-LForester S4 2.5i-SForester S4 2.0DForester S4 2.0D-LForester S4 2.0D-SForester S4 XTForester S4 XT PremiumForester S4 2.5i LuxuryForester 1997 ReleaseForester 79V
Starting Price $38,514$40,624$46,857$43,714$28,990$30,240$31,990$33,240$39,740$34,490$33,740$39,740$41,240$48,240$34,740
TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)ManualManualContinuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)ManualContinuously Variable (CVT) and ManualContinuously Variable (CVT) and ManualContinuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)
Drive TypeFour Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolDieselDieselDiesel
Wheels17" Alloy17" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy18" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy17" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars
Doors555555555555555
Seats555555555555555
Fuel Consumption7.4L/100km7.4L/100km7.4L/100km7.4L/100km7.2L/100km7.2L/100km8.1L/100km8.1L/100km8.1L/100km5.9L/100km6.3L/100km6.4L/100km8.5L/100km8.5L/100km8.1L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 63 L63 L63 L63 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L60 L
Engine4 Cylinder, 2.5L4 Cylinder, 2.5L4 Cylinder, 2.5L4 Cylinder, 2.5L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.5L4 Cylinder 2.5L4 Cylinder 2.5L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.5L
Max Power136kW @ 5800rpm136kW @ 5800rpm136kW @ 5800rpm136kW @ 5800rpm155kW @ 5600rpm108kW @ 3600rpm155kW @ 5600rpm177kW @ 5600rpm126kW @ 5800rpm92kW @ 5600rpm108kW @ 3600rpm110kW @ 6200rpm177kW @ 5600rpm136kW @ 5800rpm155kW @ 5600rpm
Max Torque239Nm @ 4400rpm239Nm @ 4400rpm239Nm @ 4400rpm239Nm @ 4400rpm320Nm @ 3600rpm350Nm @ 1600-2400rpm320Nm @ 3600rpm350Nm @ 2400-3600rpm235Nm @ 4100rpm184Nm @ 3600rpm350Nm @ 1600-2400rpm198Nm @ 4200rpm350Nm @ 2400-3600rpm239Nm @ 4400rpm320Nm @ 3600rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapan
Safety Features ABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISA (Intelligent Speed Assist), ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISA (Intelligent Speed Assist), ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISA (Intelligent Speed Assist), ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure MonitorABS (Antilock Braking System), Active Cruise Control, AEB (Auto Emergency Braking), Blindspot Warning System, Driver Attention Detection, ESC (Electronic Stability Control), Forward Collision Warning, ISA (Intelligent Speed Assist), ISO-fix Compatible, Lane Assist, Reversing Camera, Seat Belt Reminders, Traction Control and Tyre Pressure Monitor
Extra Features Android Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Boot, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Start/Stop Engine, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Power Steering, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice ControlAndroid Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Boot, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Start/Stop Engine, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Power Steering, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice ControlAndroid Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Boot, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Start/Stop Engine, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Built-In Navigation System, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Power Steering, Sunroof, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice ControlAndroid Auto / Apple Carplay, Automatic Boot, Automatic Headlights, Automatic Start/Stop Engine, Automatic Wipers, Bluetooth Connectivity, Dual Zone Air Conditioning, Immobilizer, Keyless Entry, Power Steering, Telescoping Steering Wheel, USB Port and Voice Control
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)1,500 kg1,500 kg1,500 kg1,500 kg1,500 kg1,500 kg1,500 kg1,500 kg1,500 kg1,800 kg1,800 kg1,800 kg1,800 kg1,800 kg1,500 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateSep 2018Sep 2018Sep 2018Sep 2018Mar 2008Feb 2013Feb 2013Feb 2013Feb 2013Feb 2013Feb 2013Feb 2013Feb 2013Feb 2013Feb 2013May 2014Aug 1997Jul 2002
Discontinuation dateDec 2012Aug 2018Aug 2018Aug 2018Aug 2018Aug 2018Aug 2018Aug 2018Aug 2018Aug 2018Aug 2018Dec 2014Jun 2002Feb 2008

Similar listings