Subaru Forester

S3, 79V, 1997 Release, etc...
Listing monitored by Subaru Australia

• Comfort
  • Features

Snoop
SnoopGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Subaru Australia do not honour their warranty’s

5 cracked drive shafts universal joints never had been off road ignition barrel 2 belt arm tensioner’s air conditioner condensers head unit sat nav reverse camera and lots lots more replaced
Then there is the Diesel Particulate filter reset 3 times then stuffed $6000 part conveniently not covered under their warranty all of this and lots lots more all within the warranty period Literally the worst car and the worst company
DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY

TransmissionAutomatic
Lindsay W.
Lindsay W.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Love the car

Bought 1 year ago. Use it regularly as a lease car through salary packaging. Much more comfortable with heated seats as well. Good for 3 passengers but a bit small in the back for 3 across. Plenty of tech and enough power once run in. Only issue is tyre wear so keep an eye on the tread. Looking at buying another soon for my wife.

Purchased in June 2020.

Find out how Subaru Forester compares to other Midsize / Medium SUVs

It good car but CVT is a know issue and Service department is useless.

Purchased in December 2016.

Noise Level
SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi Andy, we are sorry to hear of your experience. We encourage you to contact our Customer Relations Team for further investigation. Please contact them using feedback@subaru.com.au or on 1800 226 643.
Regards

Josh
JoshHobart, TAS

Less than 10 years old, fully serviced and requires engine rebuild

We've had our 2011 Forester since new, always serviced on time and has less than 150,000kms on the clock. We've had to replace the clutch recently and we have now been told the car requires a full engine rebuild as it is burning too much oil. We were advised this is an issue that Subaru are well aware of and won't fix. My family and I have been Subaru owners for a long time but we won't be any more, this is disgraceful!

Purchased in January 2012 for $30,000.00.

Our Latest Expert Car Reviews

Cameron S.
Cameron S.12 Jan 2021
our-latest-expert-car-reviews
testdriver
testdriverMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Very impressive

Bought a 21 MY after having previously had a new Outback. I would say it is noisier than the Outback but very similar in other respects. Very happy with the car, its features, its comfort, value, performance etc. No concerns at all. Many, many safety features.

Purchased in December 2020 at Eblen Subaru.

Reasons
ReasonsAdelaide

MY21 Subaru Forester 2.5i Sport AWD - An Excellent Small AWD SUV

Purchased in January 2021 at Jarvis Cars for $47,000.00.

Andrew
AndrewSydney, NSW

Bit Disappointed

BoughtNew
Max D.
Max D.Perth, WA

We’ve looked after it and has given us nothing but joy

Steve S.
Steve S.

Excessive oil consumption, rubbish

I have had several Subaru vehicles including 4 foresters , in the my12 and my 13 have used excessive oil , there is a class action against Subaru , they know dam well there is a problem, I’d only buy a Subaru under warranty then get rid of it , they are a joke , back to Toyota I go .

Purchased for $12,000.00.

Squiggles
SquigglesCentral Queensland, QLD

"IT'S A CHARASTERIC OF THE VEHICLE" - REALLY!!!

OldsaltMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Great Car, a few fixable issues that they will not fix?

Purchased in January 2020.

AllanSydney, NSW

Scary

Purchased in July 2019.

TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)
Allan

Thank you. Car being further examined today by Subaru dealer but if they cannot locate the issue i shall be in touch. at this stage i am afraid to drive it out of Sydney as there is obvious to me a random issue occurring with AVT.

Allan

Subaru email address provided above is not functioning. Not a good sign!

ganesha

Not as happy as with previous Forester

Bought the Forester Luxury 2006 model in 2010 and had it for 10 years. Just got wrecked in an accident. Looking back it's been an expensive car with many more things going wrong than with my previous 97 forester. Just recently the harmonic balancer failed and it nearly cost me the engine! Other failures were the thermostat, electrical fan assembly, wheel bearings and the usual, brakes and CV boots. It also had developed an oil leak which I'm told is normal too. The cost of parts is very high as are the timing belt replacements. Will buy a different brand this time after having owned four Subarus all up.

Purchased in October 2010 for $18,000.00.

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ ganesha, Thank you for your review. While we appreciate your experience, being a 2006 model, it sounds like you got quite a few years out of your Subaru and dare we say, kms as well. All the best with your next vehicle purchase. The Subaru Team.

ganesha

My previous Forester, a 97 model, got to 245,000km without any major issues. It still had the first clutch even. It was very solidly built and the quality felt superior to the later models. I sold it after 13 years ownership.

Simon C
Simon C

Went from a mk7 golf R to a 2014 xt premium: great so far

Purchased in April 2020.

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ Simon C, Thank you so much for your excellent and detailed review! We're sure many Product Review users will find it helpful. If we could ask one favour, we would love to see your review on Google as well. Stay safe. The Subaru Team.

Read more reviews - page 2

Jeff
Jeffasked
Forester S3 (2008-2012)

Thinking of buying a 2008 Subaru Forester XS S3 Manual AWD MY09. Took it for a test drive and after it warmed up there was a definite rev surge when I put the clutch in. Is this a problem? If so, can it be fixed easily?

Deedub55

Hi Jeff. TBH the last 2 cars I purchased were brand new. But, if I did buy a used car I would ensure that it was checked by someone who had a good understanding of engines. If unable to do this I would ensure that this “surge” was part of the warranty if/when you purchase. A new clutch isn’t cheap to replace as I replaced one on my CRV and cost $3000+ (genuine parts of course). Good luck.

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi Jeff, we are sorry to hear this. You may contact your local Subaru Service team to assist in diagnosing the vehicle. If we are able to assist please reach out at feedback@subaru.com.au .
Regards

Terrance C.
Terrance C.asked
Forester 1997 Release (1997-2002)

I have a 3000 model Forrester
When driving the rear of car moves from side to side and has a scaping noise

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi Terrance, thank you for reaching out. We encourage you to visit your local Subaru service team for a diagnostic service to determine the issue with your vehicle. I have attached the below link to locate your nearest Subaru Service team https://bit.ly/3etXoIK .If there is anything further that we can assist you with please do not hesitate to get into touch 1800 22 66 43 (Monday to Friday 8.30am – 5.00pm AEST).

Bob Simmons
Bob Simmonsasked
Forester S4 (2013-2018)

I have a Subaru Forester only done 107596 kms and is repeatedly failing to start for now reason.
Ignition lights all Ok but just dies on key operation.
No response from starter motor at all.
Can happen anywhere stuck at home some 45 Kms from home and have had it towed to workshop twice after being stuck in city.
Can anyone offer a solution

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi Bob, We are so sorry to hear this and would like to hear more. Could you please contact us at feedback@subaru.com.au or you may call our Customer Relations Team on 1800 22 66 43 (Monday to Friday 8.30am – 5.00pm AEST). We look forward in hearing from you.

Get an answer from our members and Subaru Australia representatives

Compare all 18 Subaru Forester
CategoryMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVs
Starting Price $39,399$41,718$47,958$44,808
TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)
Drive TypeAll Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
Max Torque239Nm @ 4400rpm239Nm @ 4400rpm239Nm @ 4400rpm239Nm @ 4400rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapan
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)1,500 kg1,500 kg1,500 kg1,500 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
Dimensions