Subaru Forester

Subaru Forester

S3, 79V, 1997 Release, etc...

• Braking
  • Features
Reasons

ReasonsAdelaide

MY21 Subaru Forester 2.5i Sport AWD - An Excellent Small AWD SUV

Purchased in January 2021 at Jarvis Cars for $47,000.00.

Andrew

AndrewSydney, NSW

Bit Disappointed

BoughtNew
Max D.

Max D.Perth, WA

We’ve looked after it and has given us nothing but joy

Steve S.

Steve S.

Excessive oil consumption, rubbish

I have had several Subaru vehicles including 4 foresters , in the my12 and my 13 have used excessive oil , there is a class action against Subaru , they know dam well there is a problem, I’d only buy a Subaru under warranty then get rid of it , they are a joke , back to Toyota I go .

Purchased for $12,000.00.

Squiggles

SquigglesCentral Queensland, QLD

"IT'S A CHARASTERIC OF THE VEHICLE" - REALLY!!!

OldsaltMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Great Car, a few fixable issues that they will not fix?

Purchased in January 2020.

AllanSydney, NSW

Scary

Purchased in July 2019.

TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)
Allan

Thank you. Car being further examined today by Subaru dealer but if they cannot locate the issue i shall be in touch. at this stage i am afraid to drive it out of Sydney as there is obvious to me a random issue occurring with AVT.

Allan

Subaru email address provided above is not functioning. Not a good sign!

ganesha

Not as happy as with previous Forester

Bought the Forester Luxury 2006 model in 2010 and had it for 10 years. Just got wrecked in an accident. Looking back it's been an expensive car with many more things going wrong than with my previous 97 forester. Just recently the harmonic balancer failed and it nearly cost me the engine! Other failures were the thermostat, electrical fan assembly, wheel bearings and the usual, brakes and CV boots. It also had developed an oil leak which I'm told is normal too. The cost of parts is very high as are the timing belt replacements. Will buy a different brand this time after having owned four Subarus all up.

Purchased in October 2010 for $18,000.00.

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ ganesha, Thank you for your review. While we appreciate your experience, being a 2006 model, it sounds like you got quite a few years out of your Subaru and dare we say, kms as well. All the best with your next vehicle purchase. The Subaru Team.

ganesha

My previous Forester, a 97 model, got to 245,000km without any major issues. It still had the first clutch even. It was very solidly built and the quality felt superior to the later models. I sold it after 13 years ownership.

Simon C

Simon C

Went from a mk7 golf R to a 2014 xt premium: great so far

Purchased in April 2020.

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ Simon C, Thank you so much for your excellent and detailed review! We're sure many Product Review users will find it helpful. If we could ask one favour, we would love to see your review on Google as well. Stay safe. The Subaru Team.

MikeSouth East Queensland, QLD

I cannot live with this any longer

I purchased a 2.5iS in May 2020, thinking it would be my happy retirement vehicle, but have had nothing but annoyance from the CVT.
There is a jerkiness which nobody can give me a decent explanation for.
I have taken it back to the dealer 3 times, but feel that Subaru is trying to do a snow job on me.
2 branches of my dealer have done "CVT Relearns" but no change.
I have had up to 9 trained Subaru staff tell me that they have never heard of it, and then after they sent data to Subaru, I was told it was "A characteristic of the vehicle"
I have spoken to at least 50 other people who have similar age Subarus and none of them have experienced this.
I am seeking legal advice on Lemon Laws to get some form of recompense.

Purchased in May 2020 at Keystar Rothwell for $42,000.00.

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ Mike, We're sorry to hear of your experience with your Forester. You're welcome to send us a direct message at our Facebook page with your vehicle details and we'll be in touch. The Subaru Team.

Mike

I have sent an email direct to the Subaru contact email, but no response.
Is this another example of Subaru not knowing what they are doing.

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ Mike, We have requested that our Customer Relations Team get in touch with you asap. We'd appreciate if you could send us a private message on our Facebook page to ensure that we have the correct details for you. The Subaru Team.

Supergee

SupergeeGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

A lot of fun

Purchased in June 2020.

David H

David HSouth East Queensland, QLD

Does everything so well

We bought this Forester in early 2016 and have had no issues with it. We usually replace our cars every five years however we see no reason to update soon as it drives perfectly and is economical with all the power we need.

Purchased in January 2016 for $33,000.00.

Smurfette

SmurfetteSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great car, 4th year and still like new

Very happy with the car. Its been very much loved for the past 3.5 years. Maps are a bit if a lost cause. And there's no simple way to upgrade via SD card. Honest feedback, please give the system the ability to connect to mobile WiFi and read from Google Maps. Life can we so simple - you just need to listen:)
Service is on an expensive side and I refuse to keep servicing at Subaru. Some Customer service staff also need a makeover. But some are absolutely lovely.
Otherwise Mechanically and Comfort wise the car is an A+
We are happy with the car overall and that's why we rate it 5.

Purchased in December 2016 for $40,000.00.

Brendoon

BrendoonPerth, WA

The extras make it

After driving for a month in both city and higher speed have found the Forrester very comfortable. All the extras on the S model make it easy when you get going, auto seat & mirror reset are great. Warning alarms though some may think annoying are just a reminder we are human and make mistakes or misjudgments.

Fuel consumption is good and though driving in the fuel efficient mode has still fast pick up when required. Engine shutdown when stopped saves an amazing amount of fuel. Startup is less than a second so no delays

Room through out is good as have been passenger in front & back ,only thing missing is phone charger but has many USB outlets

Previous car was current model XTrail and Subaru wins hands down.

Purchased in June 2020.

wes_l

wes_lSydney, NSW

Great family car

So far so good, though we've only had this car about 6 months, it's a fantastic vehicle to drive. No problems with driving in a bit of mud or snow either.

Purchased in March 2020.

Wheel_Nut

Wheel_NutIllawarra, NSW

Great, but one annoying problem, now resolved by my own investigation

Purchased in May 2019 for $41,000.00.

Trisha Fulton

Trisha FultonWestern Australia

This car saved our lives, twice! Eyesight technology should be in all cars

We bought a new Subaru Forester Special Edition with all the extra features. My first Subaru I've owned.
I liked it very much. Drove beautifully, but what stood out for me were the safety features.
We had two situations where we were nearly in a serious accident, however the eyesight technology saved our life. First was a kangaroo and wildlife at sunset jumping in front of us at 90km hour on a remote road in WA the second was when a reckless driver nearly pushed us off the road and the eyesight warned us and stopped the collision. I love my car.

Purchased in December 2017 at Subaru Dealers for $38,000.00.

MikeVictoria

Subaru Forester 2020

Best car ever had. Bought the Forester iL in Jan 2019 which has performed very well. Over the last year 7.7L per 100kms but not in a city. Very stable on both sealed and unsealed roads. The Eyesight technology and active cruise work perfectly. As a result this May my wife chose the Forester iS for work and it has additional sound system, leather, sunroof and upgraded off road called X mode. It has the same kit as Audi's or Merc at half the price.

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ Mike, Thank you so much for your amazing review! We’re so happy to hear that both you and your wife are enjoying your Foresters. If we could ask a quick favour, we would love to see your review on Google reviews as well. The Subaru Team.

Can’t live without it

Purchased in June 2014.

TransmissionAutomatic
Sheryl K
Sheryl K

Also the RHR wheel bearing needs replacing :(

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ Sheryl K, Our service retailers are also available for vehicle repairs. Please do not hesitate to contact our service teams or Customer Relations. Thank you. The Subaru Team. http://bit.ly/2WZZ8yv

RayMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Dashboard rattle, dealer can’t fix

Dashboard is rattling crazily since new and already been to dealer 3 times. They can’t fix it.
When the weather is cold, it make one noise. When it is hot, it make another rattling noise!
Small rock got inside the driver side door panel every time I travel on gravel road!
The dealer removed the rocks but never fix it so rocks still get inside every time!
Passenger seat squeak!
Driver side mirror rattle!

The car drive smooth but all the crackling and rattling noise is driving me crazy!
Build quality on this car is equivalent to something you order from Wish website.
Happy to trade in my 8 months old car now at a lost!
Ohhh it will constantly beeping at you for no reason!

Purchased in September 2019 for $47,000.00.

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ Ray, We're sorry to hear of your experience with your Subaru. Our Customer Relations Team is available on 1800 226 643 or feedback@subaru.com.au if you would like to discuss further. The Subaru Team.

Arthur B.

Arthur B.asked

Forester

Diesel engine comparison.

Allan

Arthur, my Foester is petrol so I cannot make any comparison with diesel.

chrisasked

Forester S4 (2013-2018)

we have recently purchased a 2013 subaru forrester with 165000 klm , 1 week after purchase preformed a dpf removal and clean , 600klm later dpf light on , another forced regen , drove to and from work 600 klms checked and the system had attempted 4 burns and completed 2 , wife took the car on a 500 klm highway trip and 250 klm in dpf light came on system check showed 5 attempted burns none completed .
can anyone explain what drives the dpf burn and what would stop the burn from completing ?

Misty P.
Misty P.

My Forester (2010 diesel) has had this problem appear after 250K ..I took it to the mechanic and he did a "burn off" after which it was alright for a while. Now the light is coming on and sometimes the engine light as well but it also disappears as well? Anyway I have had 6 Subarus and yes I love them but I wouldn't buy a diesel again and I live in the country definitely wouldn't buy one for city driving as the diesel need long highway country runs to burn off the soot? I really hope Subaru doesn't let the quality of their cars slip. All cars/makes/brands have "issues" it just how much it takes to repairs these which you need to take into account.. VW (never buy one) is on another planet with spare parts which you WILL need in dire course..I have been happy with all my previous models and probably would buy another or a Toyota which are probably the most reliable cars out..

chris

after 4 months of constant issues with the dpf we removed the old dpf and sent it to western australia for an inspection prior to another clean , upon a camera inspection they discovered the insides were damaged $3500 later a new dpf aftermarket , egr and manifold clean and most important change in driving style ( drive it like you stole it and do not use 6th gear unless you are in 110klm zone ) and only drive in 3rd gear around the city. fuel consumption has only increased by .5l/100 klm but no lights or mechanic bills
since this we have the dpf light come on once then went out performed a scan and we had completed a regen burn 20klm ago which is half way to town

Paul E.
Paul E.

It would be worth checking whether the excessive oil consumption issue is contributing to the DPF build up. A class action (regarding these models 2011-14 Forester 2.5-litre, 2013 Legacy 2.5-litre, 2013 Outback 2.5-litre, 2012-13 Impreza 2-litre and 2013 XV Crosstek 2-litre) was settled in the US in 2014.

Grime

Grimeasked

Forester S5 2.5i-S (2018-2021)

I have heard that the latest release coming in last quarter2020 is increasing the tow bar load to 1800kg, has auto door locking and front corner parking assist as standard on the S version.Is this true,should I wait for this release as we like to tow a van and the 1500kg is a bit light on?

SubaruSubaru Australia

Hi @ Grime, There is the possibility that there will be changes to the Forester but we do not have any confirmed specs as of yet. Please keep an eye on our website for any new vehicle announcements. The Subaru Team.

Get an answer from our members and Subaru Australia representatives

Compare all 18 Subaru Forester
CategoryMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVs
Starting Price $39,399$41,718$47,958$44,808
TransmissionContinuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)Continuously Variable (CVT)
Drive TypeAll Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
  • Sunroof
Ground Clearance220 mm220 mm220 mm220 mm
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)1,500 kg1,500 kg1,500 kg1,500 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
Release dateSept 2018Sept 2018Sept 2018Sept 2018