Mazda CX-5

See the Best Midsize / Medium SUVs in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

10 K review

This is 10K review, bought our car in December 2018 after long search. We tested several cars like Lexus, Volvo and Subaru, but none of them passed our requirements list.
Our last car Subaru Forester XT lasted almost 13 years and covered more than 300K.
Finally, version of CX-5 with turbo engine!
After driving this car for more than 8 months we can review it.

PROS:
1. Value for money – car is packed with many features, leather seats, electronic gadgets, etc
2. Driving position is adjustable and stored for two drivers
3. Very good acceleration
4. The best is HUD – together with GPS system is fantastic. You do not have to look at navigation screen.
5. Control knob to move between applications – very easy, much better than Lexus touchpad.
6. Large boot covered with privacy screen
CONS:
1. Bit thirsty – 10l average so far, but my wife is driving a lot of short trips during week.
2. Thick A pillar is bit obstructing driver view – I am only 180cm
3. On delivery ask dealer for detail explanation of various features – user manual is hopeless, due to the poor index – I found several missing references so far
4. Maps update – must be performed by user and after 3 years is quite expensive
5. Front door storage compartments are very low – why no elastic mesh to cover
6. Small control panel on right side of driver is positioned in very awkward position and has no extra light, which is sometimes problem in dark garage. The same apply for driver position selection buttons – they should be with light!
7. Cruise control is bit hard to set by driver

Reliable comfortable car

A great family car drove up from Victoria to Queensland effortlessly. Servicing very reasonably priced compared to the Q5 it replaced. Great handling, plenty of room for a family of 4.

Year2016

Be warned

Stay far far away!!! Our Mazda CX-5 was the diesel max sport purchased in 2013. What a piece of crap. Don’t get me wrong, whilst it was drivable we loved it, but be warned: DON’T skip or be late on a single service or Mazda will eat you alive. Our engine stopped working. We were 10000 late for its service. Life gets busy with little ones. The engine stopped working due to the oil being a clag filled mess. They blamed it on us using the wrong oil or the fact that it was “heavily neglected”. I wouldn’t think that 10000 over would class as “heavily neglected”. Long story short we are left with a 24k bill for a new engine. Stay away from diesel. I was way too nervous to buy the diesel to begin with in 2013 due to this concern. Unless you will never run late on a service and will take in on large hour long drives each day- stay clear away. Screw yoh Mazda.

Purchased in July 2013 at Mazda Dealers for $38,000.00.

Year2013

Stylish, Safe and the Best Red Car on the Market

We are just your average couple, we drive our Mazda nearly very day in and around our town and a couple of times a month longer drives to Melbourne and Geelong. We had a Mazda3 sports hatch and clocked up 117,000 and not a blip or problem so when it was time to move on and up grade it was a simple choice of another Mazda, though we did try out other makes we kept coming back to the Mazda. We had and issue with one of the headlights which was replaced by the service centre at no cost to us and the car had finished its warranty period. I love my Mazda, it's red, its stylish and has heated seats. What more could you want! Ahhh safety.... yep it has everything to help keep you as safe on the roads as possible. I encourage anyone who is in the market for a car to take a Mazda out and give it a go. You won't be disappointed. I wasn't.

Purchased in April 2016.

TransmissionSemi-Automatic
Year2015

Mazda scaming people

In January 2017 i bough a mazda cx5 (as a brand new car) paid thousand of dollars. The car took nearly 50 day to received (which is a long time). Since i picked the new car from (GARRY AND WARREN SMITH MAZDA IN MULGRAVE) the car was nothing but trouble. I had to go back 4 days later with:
1. brake system problem (red light),
2. reverse brake clunk
3. Air bag red light
4. continues low battery, red light indicates (the charging system fail).
5. Shuttering windows.
6. Camera box clicking.
7. Steering wheel twists when start, stop, turn right or left.
8. Continually loud click in the left back side, and the engine.
9. Display screen goes on and off with a strange messages.
and lots more "all i get from mazda is negatives answer".

I contacted mazda Australia they send me to Berwick mazda they said that:
1. The channel under the windows are broken. "Unusual for a brand new car, whereas the quality control inspection".
2. The code and updates are not available.
3. Camera box clicking because there is no foam between the camera.
But everything else was ignored, i had to ask them to check all other problems, they said that they have to keep the car overnight for the mechanic to check, (the mechanic took the car to visit his mother) next day i went to pickup the car, i was told that the mechanic did some damage to the car and show a big BURN and lots of scraches all around the car.
I took the car to panel beating to get a quote for the damage, he checked the car then said, this car has been repainted and this is not the original colour because of the poor repainted there's a spots indicate the original color.
I decided to sell the car back to mazda, i went to a different mazda dealer he checked the car and said this car has been repainted and this is not the original colour. The car wasn't even a year old.
I knew that the car has a back ground, i took the car to 2 private mechanic they gave me 3 reports. Then i took the to a car ENGINEER, HERE IS THE SURPRISE.
1. He checked the contract, there was NO DETAILS about the car.
2. He checked the new car warranty (that i received 3 months after i picked the car), NO details except the suspension VIN number.
3. He checked all the document i received when i bought the was NO information except THE NEW CAR TAX INVOICE it says that the car is:
a. KE1
b. BUILT 2017
c. DEEP CRYST
The engineer said that is NOT RIGHT KE1 NOT BUILT IN 2017 IT IS WAY OLDER. He checked:
- The product reviews.
- Australian reviews.
- Mazda parts .......
All shows that KE1 (2012-2014) it has been discontinued. "My question, where the car has been since till 2017".
He said the 2017 CX5 model is (KF) NOT (KE1 OR KE11 discontinued).

3. The engineer also checked the VIN number and decoded the vin, he said,
a. ZEROS (0) are not allowed in the VIN, and there's lots of zeros in the vin number.
b. The vin has 17 letters and numbers, (example)
J M O K E 1 - - - 0 - - - - - - -
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10.....
The engineer said position number (10) identifying the production year of the car (which year the car was made) in this "VIN IT'S A ZERO (0)" because it's a (0) it means no one can tell which year the car was made including MAZDA.
He said this is a big SCAME. BECAUSE IT'S A (0) THE CAR CAR REBIRTH AGAIN AND AGAIN anywhere in the world.
(I CALL THIS A ZERO TAMPERING BY MAZDA).

4. The engineer checked the car history from a very trusted website (united states government created this web to control VIN TAMPERING, CAR THIEFT AND GRAY OVERSEAS MARKET. The car history according to the Vin are:
1. The car was made in 2005
2. Used in JAPAN
3. Did hundreds of KM.

I took the case to Vcat with all evidence 'mechanic reports, engineering report, panel beating report, photos of red lights showing on the dashboard.......' But the VCAT member dismiss the case for all wrong reasons. He was in the Fraud scammers's side and didn't understands that mazda scammed lots and lots of people without knowing that they have been scammed.

Mazda get the left over cars from japan, rebirth it in australia and sell to australian people for thousands of dollars while the cars is not worthed $2,000.
I contacted Vicroad to see if they have any history of the car, they said, all they know since the car dealers registered the new car. They said even if the car was used they won't be able to check because it is a different systems.

I'm asking all mazda owner to check the VIN and check all details they might been SCAMMED WITHOUT KNOWING.
If they notice anything is not right to raise their concerns to VCAT or write to VCAT complaint registerer.

Purchased in January 2017 for $37,000.00.

In love with my car!

I have had my Mazda CX-5 for just over 12 months and have never looked back! It is so comfortable to be in and drive. The technology is user friendly and has so many features to assist you such as the navigation and even the average fuel consumption. It is driven each day for commuting to work, the gym and around town. I have had my CX-5 serviced once and the customer service I received was wonderful, very friendly and informative throughout the entire experience.

Purchased in July 2018.

Great Reliable Car

I have just completed four years of ownership of my Mazda CX-5 (and still going) and completed nearly 60,000 km. It is the 2.5 l petrol engine GT. In that time, I have had no mechanical issues with the car - starts first time, every time. It is great in the city and on the highway. Paint and interior still look as new. Servicing costs have always been reasonable through the Mazda dealer.
The only issues in that time were:
1. The battery was just replaced after 4 years - the first indication was that the i-stop function stopped working. This is good life for a battery. Mazda dealer replaced it for $270 with a non-Mazda battery, so still a reasonable cost.
2. I had an initial minor problem with the entertainment system not connecting fully to the phone, but the dealer did a software update that fixed the problem. Sat Nav is OK, but free updates were only given for the first 3 years- it is expensive to buy the updates after this.
3. Suspension is a bit firmer than I would like with poor roads around the city, but it is good for secure handling.
Tyre wear has been excellent - still on the original tyres (Toyo) and expected to get to 65,000 km before replacement. Only issue has been these tyres seem prone to puncture (3 in 4 years - perhaps I am just unlucky!). I will pick a different brand next time.
Overall, its been a great car and I recommend it to others.

Purchased at Mazda Dealers.

Year2015
Comfort

Great car no issues and the power is fantastic....love love love it

Great car no issues and the power is fantastic....love love love it. Service is cheap on this vehicle which I was not expecting. Salesman was super friendly and did not come across pushy

CX5 Akira 2018-I love this car

I have had my Cx5 2.5l petrol Akira for 16 months and it has been awesome.
It is my daily drive around Sydney and for trips to the Snowy and Blue mountains.
Smooth to drive, safe, comfortable, functional, stylish, good for towing my trailer.
The servicing dept of Mazda has been terrific.
I have friends with more expensive makes of cars who have driven my CX5 and have admitted it is better than their cars costing $30,000 more.
I just got back from a country trip and was getting 7.5l per 100km.
Great Job Mazda.

Purchased in May 2018 at Brookvale Mazda, Sydney, Australia for $47,500.00.

Brilliant Car

I bought my CX5 in November 2012, it is a beauty. I'm retired so don't travel many kilometres per year, after nearly 7 years I've done just 125,000. My car has been serviced every 10,000 by my Mazda Dealer and apart from new tyres at 40,000, it hasn't put a foot wrong. I've never had the slightest problem, I mainly do town travel now but have done day trips of 300-400 ks, I did drive to Queensland and back 5 years ago. I feel sorry for those who have had problems, I thoroughly recommend my Mazda (Petrol version) to anyone. My wife and I recently purchased another Mazda for her, a CX3, and it too is equally brilliant. We did a 600 k trip in it only last week. My CX5 regularly gives economy figures of 7.5 lts per 100 Ks.

Purchased in November 2012 at Bendigo Mazda for $35.75.

Year2012

Diesel engine issues

Engine oil level too high problem still exists in 2019 build.

The fix for this problem and advised during purchase for the above no longer existing has appeared at 3000 km mark and 5mths Vehicle mainly city driving with a couple of highway 3 hour journeys.

Beware

Purchased in March 2019.

Year2019

zoom boom cx5 diesel

mazda should change its name to zoom boom as my diesel engine failed thanks to oil dilution serviced as per book but at 150 thousand bye bye mazda did replace the donk but with existing issue so it was only time before zoom boom the suv drives great it was a car i could see me keeping for at least 10+ years but after this problem it magically turned into a subaru forester drives just as good if not better

Purchased in January 2017 for $35,000.00.

Year2012

Great reliable car

This is our second Mazda. I find the car functional, reliable and looks good. I gave 4 Stars because the back doesn’t quite fit 3 baby seats comfortably so we now have to consider another suv which would.

Purchased in May 2014.

Great Car

I purchased the Mazda CX5 and I love it. It's a wonderful car, it has a lot of safety tech and they all work perfectly well. This is the first time I own a Mazda and have had no problems with it at all. My next car will certainly be a Mazda.

Purchased in October 2018 at Mazda Dealers for $35,000.00.

Comfort

One of the best car I've ever had

I love my mazda cx5. It's fun and soo comfortable to drive since I got the diesel one. Very good on the freeway and hilly areas, drives effortlessly. Looks very sleek and elegant. Can't fault a thing. Hopefully it will keep going like now for numbers of years.

Purchased in April 2019.

Year2019

Fun to drive car

I have a Mazda CX 5 and i usually do 70 Km per day. Very happy with the overall performance of the car. Mileage is 9.2 per 100kms with 91 octane fuel. Could have been a bit better. Otherwise I enjoy driving this car. Interior is very posh and I love the BOSE music system. No wonder CX5 is the trending SUV in the Australian car market for years.

Purchased in November 2018 at Brighton Mazda for $43,000.00.

Multiple Safety System Malfunction Messages on Hot Sunny Days

Good car but having ongoing problems with multiple safety system malfunction messages.
Cloth seats are comfortable & ride is compliant.
Petrol 2.5L motor is powerful but lacks a bit in low down torque.

Purchased in February 2019 at Penrith Mazda Centre.

Comfort

Not reliable - don’t buy a lemon

Don’t buy these cars. My Mazda CX-5 diesel needed a new engine after only 90,000km due to a known manufacturing defect. Mazda has dragged it on for months. Not a reliable family car. Lots of maintenance issues once it has done over 80,000km.

Purchased in April 2014.

Terrible car ! Do NOT buy it

The only good thing about Mazda CX5 is that it is a beautiful sporty car. Otherwise, the maintenance costs are way too high! Maintenance costs are comparable to that of BMW or even Mercedes Benz specially after you drive over and around 100,000 kilometers with your car ! I hate my CX5 with passion! Would buy a proper reliable German car instead of buying a rubbish Japanese car !

Purchased in December 2014 at Max Kirwin Mazda for $40,000.00.

Brilliant car

have purchased a December 2018 GT 2.5 petrol... only had for a short period... truly a superb car.. all the upgraded safety tech.. apple car play..radar cruise...head up display works a treat absolute pleasure to drive.. have had Mazda’s before and ran without any trouble.. will do another review down track...

BadgeGrand Touring
Engine Size2.5L Petrol
Date PurchasedDec 2018
DriveAWD

Just got my 2019 Akera. I have terrible reflections from the dash (where the HUD is) to the windscreen. It changes in different light conditions, so sometimes “flickers”. Incredibly distracting. It is resolved by wearing polarised sunnies, but this really dulls the heads up active display. It also occurs with at night with overhead street and With tunnel lighting. In these intances glasses can’t be worn. I didn’t notice it when I test drove the car (May have had my sunglasses on) and now it’s so bad I regret buying it. Apart from the reversing camera, I otherwise love the car.
I think you can adjust level of HUD intensity, with my super duper polarized glassed display is almost invisibleThanks. Yeah it’s not so much the HUD, more the trim around it that creates a box like efferct

Who else’s Diesel engine has ceased to never work again?

I have a 2019 CX5 Akera diesel. Sometimes the reversing camera monitor stays on for up to 30 seconds after moving the gear shift into Drive. It's only nuisance value, but can the reversing camera be adjusted to make it turn off as soon as Drive is selected?
Sorry Paul, my CX5 is a 2012 petrol model and I have no problem with the reversing camera.Mine does this. But it switches to forward camera. Guess it assumes you want guidance out of the parking space??

Mazda CX-5 KF Maxx FWD, 2.0L Petrol, Manual (2017-2019)Mazda CX-5 KF Maxx FWD, 2.0L Petrol, Automatic (2017-2019)Mazda, CX-5 KF Maxx AWD, 2.5L Petrol, Automatic (2017-2019)Mazda CX-5 KF Maxx Sport FWD, 2.0L Petrol (2015-2019)Mazda CX-5 KF Maxx Sport AWD, 2.5L Petrol (2017-2019)Mazda CX-5 KF Maxx Sport AWD, 2.2L Diesel (2017-2019)Mazda CX-5 KF Akera AWD, 2.5L Petrol (2017-2019)Mazda CX-5 KF Akera AWD, 2.5L Turbo Petrol (2018-2019)Mazda CX-5 KF Akera AWD, 2.2L Diesel (2017-2019)Mazda CX-5 KF GT AWD, 2.2L Diesel (2017-2019)Mazda CX-5 KF GT AWD, 2.5L Petrol (2017-2019)Mazda CX-5 KF GT AWD, 2.5L Turbo Petrol (2018-2019)Mazda CX-5 KF Touring AWD, 2.2L Diesel (2017-2019)Mazda CX-5 KF Touring AWD, 2.5L Petrol (2017-2019)Mazda CX-5 KE.I (2012-2014)Mazda CX-5 KE.II (2015-2016)
CategoryMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVsMidsize / Medium SUVs
Starting Price $32,990$34,990$37,990$37,240$40,240$43,240$49,290$51,790$52,290$49,540$46,540$49,040$45,240$42,240
TransmissionManualAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomatic
Drive TypeFront Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)
Fuel TypePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolDieselPetrolPetrolDieselDieselPetrolPetrolDieselPetrol
Wheels17" Steel17" Steel17" Steel17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy19" Alloy19" Alloy19" Alloy19" Alloy19" Alloy19" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars
Doors5555555555555555
Seats5555555555555555
Fuel Consumption6.9 L/100km6.9 L/100km7.4 L/100km6.9 L/100km7.4 L/100km5.7 L/100km7.4 L/100km8.2 L/100km5.7 L/100km5.7 L/100km7.4 L/100km8.2 L/100km5.7 L/100km7.4 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 56 L56 L58 L56 L58 L58 L58 L58 L58 L58 L58 L58 L58 L58 L
Engine4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.5 L4 Cylinder 2.0L4 Cylinder 2.5 L4 Cylinder 2.2 L4 Cylinder 2.5 L4 Cylinder 2.5 L4 Cylinder 2.2 L4 Cylinder 2.2 L4 Cylinder 2.5 L4 Cylinder 2.5 L4 Cylinder 2.2 L4 Cylinder 2.5 L
Max Power115kW @ 6000rpm115kW @ 6000rpm140kW @ 6000rpm115kW @ 6000rpm140kW @ 6000rpm140kW @ 4500rpm140kW @ 6000rpm170kW @ 5000rpm140kW @ 4500rpm140kW @ 4500rpm140kW @ 6000rpm170kW @ 5000rpm140kW @ 4500rpm140kW @ 6000rpm
Max Torque200Nm @ 4000rpm200Nm @ 4000rpm252Nm @ 4000rpm200Nm @ 4000rpm252Nm @ 4000rpm450Nm @ 2000rpm252Nm @ 4000rpm420Nm @ 2000rpm450Nm @ 2000rpm450Nm @ 2000rpm252Nm @ 4000rpm420Nm @ 2000rpm450Nm @ 2500rpm252Nm @ 4000rpm
Country of ManufactureJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapan
Safety Features
Extra Features
  • Voice Control
Ground Clearance193 mm193 mm193 mm193 mm193 mm193 mm200 mm200 mm200 mm200 mm200 mm200 mm193 mm193 mm
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)1,800 kg1,800 kg1,800 kg1,800 kg1,800 kg2,000 kg1,800 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg1,800 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg1,800 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)3 year(s)3 year(s)
Release dateJan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2015Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2018Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2018Jan 2017Jan 2017Jan 2012Jan 2015
Discontinuation dateDec 2014Dec 2016