Not reliable - don’t buy a lemon

Don’t buy these cars. My Mazda CX-5 diesel needed a new engine after only 90,000km due to a known manufacturing defect. Mazda has dragged it on for months. Not a reliable family car. Lots of maintenance issues once it has done over 80,000km.

Purchased in April 2014.

Noise Level
BoughtNew

Terrible car ! Do NOT buy it

The only good thing about Mazda CX5 is that it is a beautiful sporty car. Otherwise, the maintenance costs are way too high! Maintenance costs are comparable to that of BMW or even Mercedes Benz specially after you drive over and around 100,000 kilometers with your car ! I hate my CX5 with passion! Would buy a proper reliable German car instead of buying a rubbish Japanese car !

Purchased in December 2014 at Max Kirwin Mazda for $40,000.00.

Noise Level
Boot Size
Features
Comfort

Brilliant car

have purchased a December 2018 GT 2.5 petrol... only had for a short period... truly a superb car.. all the upgraded safety tech.. apple car play..radar cruise...head up display works a treat absolute pleasure to drive.. have had Mazda’s before and ran without any trouble.. will do another review down track...

BadgeGrand Touring
Date PurchasedDec 2018
DriveAWD

Product works greatly for me

I was looking for a second vehicle for the three drivers at home. After searching online various options I was attracted to comments on Mazda Maxx CX-5 on this web site. They are genuine feedback from vehicle owners and answered most of my queries about the car I was looking for. It became no brainer to choose this car as our second car. After convincing my missus we went to look for a good deal in the market and got one from a local dealer. Having owned the vehicle for just a week we're quite happy with its performance and fuel efficiency. The only aspect I'm not fully satisfied is that CarPlay support costs extra $495 for 2018 model while 2019 model has it included (brochure for Mazda CX-5 presented to us in dealership is for 2019, as I found out later). This web site makes my life much easier to get useful feedback about product and help make informed and wise decision for small or big purchase.

Date PurchasedDec 2018
DriveAWD

CX5 Diesel _ Great car to drive but doubts over diesel engine reliability.

Have owned a CX5 GT Diesel for 3 years and it has been a pleasure to drive until recently. I do a long highway commute to work each day, which is why I purchased the diesel (longevity and fuel economy). Everything was fine until recently when the car started to experience loss of power and high engine temperatures (light flashed up on dash). I have it booked into the dealer to be checked, but now that I have done a bit of research it seems the diesel engine has issues with heating and blowing head gaskets, not a good issue to have for a car driven long distances in the Aussie summer. The rest of the car is to the usual Mazda quality standard, but it seems the diesel engine may have a design flaw.

Date PurchasedDec 2015
DriveAWD

$500 to retrofit android auto / apple carplay on 2 month old car - Ridiculous!

After receiving my brand new Mazda CX-5 GT only 2 months ago i'm now being asked to pay an additional $500 to retrofit android auto/ apple carplay unit which now comes standard on the CX-5. You'd think for people that have recently purchased a CX-5 (ie, in the last 6 months) that they would as a courtesy offer to upgrade the entertainment unit for free or at the very least a subsided price.

Very disappointing as i was expecting more from Mazda.

Will I buy a Mazda again? Hmmm, not so sure now.

Date PurchasedOct 2018

Buyer beware

Beware! When driving in rainy conditions you can’t bloody see out the windscreen. The angle of the windscreen holds the water even when you have the highest speed working. It’s a new car with new windscreen wipers.
After owning lots of cars this is far the worst.
Absolute nightmare to drive in the wet. Death trap
Love to hear from other owners if they experienced the same problem

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Fantastic safety features

Used every day about 70-80 k a day. Truly an Suv which is hard to beat for safety features and at the same time great looks all around. Servicing is capped for 3 years and is reasonable priced. One irritation is its very occasional habit of not restarting immediately when engaging gear at traffic lights whilst in skyactiv mode. But otherwise a great car.

TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedFeb 2017

LOVE my New Car!

Parkland Mazda, W.A. were the great people who sold me my first New Car last week. I absolutely LOVE this Car, and can't believe its mine, its such a pleasure to drive - very economical, very light on the steering and whisper quiet. A/C and Sound is great, along with the stylish interior. Turbo Diesel is also very economical and highly recommended. I recommend this Car thoroughly - you won't be sorry you chose it! Thanks Parkland Mazda.

BadgeTouring
Date PurchasedOct 2018

Great car

Use this car every day. Typical Mazda no issues. Not a race car but looks great and goes well. Service is expensive at a dealer, but its worth it knowing you will have trouble free driving for years to come. Love the car and will buy Mazda again for sure.

TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedApr 2016

Best car I’ve ever owned!

We use this car for family transport mainly. Often driving several hours to the county and back. We chose to do capped servicing with Mazda. I can’t fault this car. It’s been brilliant and the service at Mazda fantastic. I think we will probably need to upgrade to the cx9 when we have a second car.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

THE BEST!

Car for everyday commuting and weekend trips with the family and dog. No issues so far. A lovely upgrade with a navman, entertainment options, dashboard screen and controls in the mid section. The controls are a great change to the normal layout as it is less distracting and closer to arms length.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Perfect-

I love my Mazda what can I say I love it I love it. One thing that I’m not happy with is the air con and heating and the boot. But I love it it is a great car and great with petrol. Thank you Mazda I’m in love. The family also love it I have 2 children so it is very spacious.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Radio headset.

The entertainment unit whe n playing music from usb memory always restarts thebsame song every time the car is resarted.
Divers you insane.
Car is fantastic for towing our van. Economy is great.Good driving position. But the door closure warning light does not indicate which door is not closed properly.

BadgeGrand Touring
Date PurchasedJul 2014

Amazing!

I purchased a second hand 2015 model this year and I’m in love! In my opinion, it’s the perfect size - heaps of room for passengers and heaps of boot space without being too big that it’s hard to park. Really comfortable to drive, really quiet and reaaaaally cheap to run. I previously had a corolla and they’re close to each other with fuel consumption. I would 100% recommend this!

Engine SizeI’m not sure
Date PurchasedMay 2018

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM

This car is perfect for my needs as a young busy working mum.
It drives quietly and safely.
my only complaint about the interior is the push button is on the left which is not convenient when you have bags to scoop up from the passenger seat but other than that it fits myself, the shopping and the kids in it very comfortably.
The kids love that they can attach their music via bluetooth too.
I have always been a Mazda owner and this car has been no exception to their reliability and comfort - as well as looking very snazy!
Fuel is quite economical also as it is E10 compatible.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Issue with navigation system in Mazda's

We found the Navigation System does not work properly with Mazda cars. We have a Mazda CS 6 Sedan as well and have the same issues. We have to use our mobile phone navigation instead. The Navigation system does not connected and can be an issue if you travel without a mobile phone.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Decent car

We bought the CX 5 Max sport model for its ungraded features. We found that the tint that the installation team added was below par so I would recommend you do that aspect yourself.

Overall a smooth drive, not jerky with the breaks. We have owned it for over 5 years and with regular services we haven’t had a problem. In fact the low tyre pressure warning system saved my life on an outback drive one year, if this had not have gone off I would have been stranded heavily pregnant in the middle of nowhere.

Date PurchasedAug 2013

Best Car I Have Ever Bought

Purchased my Mazda CX5 in August 2014 from John Newel Mazda - Alexandria. Comfortable, easy to drive, very economical on fuel. The interior is luxurious without the price tag. It is a medium size SUV, providing adequate legroom, boot storage and a feeling of being a sturdy safe car. After service at John Newel brilliant....high focus on customer experience. I will continue to purchase Mazda vehicles from this dealership in future as will my family.

BadgeAkera
Date PurchasedAug 2014

Worst Servicing Issues Non Resolved

Purchased Brand New CX-5 2016 Maxx Sport from Mount Gravatt Mazda - from day 1 vehicle generated a noise while reversing and turning left. Notified Mazda immediately by phone and told they will look at it in first service. First service, we could not fault. Second Service during road test, noise was duplicated - returned vehicle advised done all they could - drove out, went back to work reverse park and noise still present. Told Mazda and said to come back in, have done few services and still no resolve. Most recent service - I dealt with the Service Manager - they faulted the noise again - was told that they checked everything. Service Manager went on to explain that this noise was completely normal on all their models - I asked to test drive other cars to replicate noise - we drove in a Mazda 3 - could not duplicate the noise after 10 mins of trying (Service Manager driving). I asked to try other CX-5 however was told they had none? although this is a dealership? Was then told by the Service Manager that he would organise a technician from Mazda head office - this will reassure me that this noise is completely normal. I asked for this in writing to give me comfort that if this fault eventuates into something worse after warranty that this will still be covered, I was refused and told he could not do that.

The vehicle after more than 2 years, still continues to make the noise. I have provided videos, I have done numerous driving sessions with the mechanic. The most disappointing thing out of all this is the lack of care for their customers post purchase. I never received a call from anyone from head office in relation to organising a drive with any technician. Appalling service - safe to say I will never purchase a Mazda again nor will I purchase anything from Upper Mount Gravatt.

Date PurchasedMay 2016

I purchased my CX-5 second hand through a mazda dealership, buying a turbo diesel as i live in the Kimberley and it will be great for exploring. I recently was on a drive back to darwin where it looks like my turbos are not in good condition, The edges of the blades dont sit flush, with 80,000km on the clock they shouldnt be so worn. Anyone else experience the same issues??

My Mazda CX 5 is a 2015 model .it used to show around 8 litres per 100 kms . After it’s last service it is now showing 13kms per 100 kms. I have reset it a few times with no new result The mechanic says it is nothing he has done in the service that could have caused this . Any ideas ?
I would suggest checking the accuracy of the reading by filling the tank, then driving 100km on the trip meter, then filling the tank again noting how many litres it takes to fill the tank.Yes sounds like a good idea Thankyou

HI all , we currently have the latest 2018 CX5 AKERA with 7k on the clock , fuel consumption is terrible with an average of 13.8/100km. Anybody else experience this?
Hi Sal. I'd love to help you - but my new vehicle is the Diesel model. Its very fuel efficient, though I haven't done a long country run yet to see how it goes with fuel consumption in a non stop/start scenario. Do you have istop on? That helps save fuel too. This is probably a stupid statement - but have you called the manufacturer or your local Mazda Dealer to see if this is normal, as there may be an issue with the fuel workings. Always make sure too that your tyres are kept at 36psi always - that can affect your fuel consumption. Good Luck.

Similar listings