Holman Automatic Digital Tap Timer CO1605

Holman Automatic Digital Tap Timer CO1605

Fester

FesterPerth, WA

Hit and miss

This is the 4th or 5th of these units I have bought. Some have lasted a few years, however, I now have one that has only lasted 6 weeks and summer has just started! The unit does not start at the set time, so back to Bunnings once again. Poor built quality, they break down pretty quickly in the sun, and expensive for what they really are. Does anyone know of a quality unit that is the same cost ($50)? Bunnings seems to be oblivious to the issues and just keeps selling them. One time I returned one to find out there was a recall. I would expect more from a local company.

Purchased in October 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $54.00.

Martin W.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Holman Digital Tap Timer rubbish

Have had 4 of these units and while working they are ok. But if you have an issue don't expect any good advice from Holman support. Went to change battery ready for summer and the digital readout went to 4 zeros and is locked in that position no matter which buttons you push. What was Holman's response "No idea what the problem is. Must be in the electronics." So I said "What am I supposed to do with it then just throw it away" to which she replied "I guess so". So if that's an example of their quality then I might as well buy a cheap one and be prepared to replace it every year. The others will be going in the bin when they pack up which will no doubt be sooner than later.

Purchased in January 2018 at Stratco.

Martin W.

You had all the information I can provide. Your response is of no help. I have bought another brand. No more Holman for me.

darren40

darren40

Always read reviews first

Very easy to setup and program but thats as far as it goes have 2, one stopped working after a couple of weeks so thought better check other timer installed a month before also not tuning on ( coincidence or quality of product, then I read other reviews) cant be bothered taking back to Bunnings as they will just give me another one or 2

Purchased in August 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $49.00.

Holman I.Holman

Hello Darren, sorry to hear you have had a disappointing experience with our timers. Trouble shooting is available on our website. thank you, your Holman Team!

Simple maintenance

Had mine for a couple of years. Just stopped working. Because Im using damn water without a filter it had finally blocked. Tested the dc motor which was fine. Used some compressed air to clean the valve. Screwed it back together, good as new now.

Holman I.Holman

Hello Jim S. Thank you for your review!

Jim

JimGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Poor quality build with casing leaks

I've purchased two of these assuming Holman to be a better brand than some of Bunnings cheaper alternatives ie Pope

Unfortunately both timers have leaks / splits in the casing within 6 months rendering them useless.

Purchased in January 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $49.00.

MBH

MBHGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Split in one unit blockage in the other

I’e had a poor experience with the quality of these . I replaced 2 which split after a few months. Another has split and the other is blocked in the unit.

Purchased in February 2018.

Not happy

Not happyMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Would help if pressure rating is clearly on the package

I think the design of this product is pretty decent. The digital clock timer and easy access to battery is really good.
The problem is that my mains pressure does go up to 850kpa and as others have experienced the solenoid activation will not open at pressures above 600kpa.
I bought this unit on special and for the price it's a pretty good deal, however, I cannot use it and would have been nice to know upfront on the package what it's rated to. Would have saved me a lot of time.

I returned it to Bunnings and swapped it for something that can run up to 1000kpa (indicated on the package!).

Purchased in March 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Holman I.Holman

Hello Not Happy, the packaging of our timers clearly display the max KPA use for each timer. This is also written on the enclosed instruction sheet for each timer. Thank you, your Holman Team!

B. Craig

B. CraigHarrison 2914, ACT

Frustrating Product

This product stopped turning on after two months. Disconnecting the battery and resting the timer worked for three days then wouldn't turn off. I wished I read these reviews earlier.

Purchased in December 2017 at Bunnings Warehouse for $79.99.

Holman I.Holman

Hello B. Craig, we are sorry to hear this! you are welcome to give us a call on 1300 716 188 for any further assistance we can provide. Thank you, your Holman Team!

Rob LGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Worked well until it didn't!

The timer was working perfectly for about a year I guess. Then a coupe of days ago I noticed my plants were very dry. It was then I realized that the timer was no longer functioning. The display now showed 4 zeros and was locked in this display. This meant therefore that the unit was now useless. (I had to remove the timer to be able use the tap again).
New batteries have not made a difference. It is now just a piece of junk!
I might just state that this unit was a replacement of the Holman C01601. That unit sprang a leak in the back seam. So two different Holman tap timers and both failed.

Date PurchasedMar 2017
Ham

HamMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Co1606 Tap timer

I’ve bought 5 of these until over 12months and all have failed with 6months. Bunnings replaces all of them at some point in time. Now 2 (both about 12months old) have started leaking from the casing! The other two units won’t turn on (like other reviews) but if you turn the tap on/off the solenoid will kick in. Rubbish product and for $52 a unit it is a disgrace... you need to have faith and trust in a brand and product to water, not fail and kill your garden.

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Holman I.Holman

Hello Ham, thank you for your review. We believe you have been in contact with our service department in regards to this issue. Your Holman Team!

KyteroadCentral, SA

Not impressed

I purchased this unit to water a small garden area while away for two weeks. It seemed to work OK on its initial operation but wont start automatically since. Strangely, if I turn the tap off and then on again...IT WORKS. So much for automatic timer! I think its an IT issue!

Date PurchasedDec 2018
Kyteroad

Thank you Holman team for the feedback. I have returned the unit to Bunnings and purchased a Pope product that works (without a pressure reducer)

Angry_Nugget

Angry_NuggetPerth

Worked great for two months

Timer was working great for two months then failed. Functionality of the timer appears to be working except for the mechanics, the solenoid/valve is not disengaging/engaging on manual or on the timer, checked water checked filter replaced battery despite it being full. It seems there is an inherent failure with this product. No receipt can be found.

Date PurchasedOct 2018

Leaky fittings

Almost impossible to connect to a tap without leaking. Do not bother. Returned next day for refund. The connections to fit to an existing water tap are very poorly designed. Not clear that battery was NOT included. Treads for screw fittings easily cross treaded. Poor fitting with standard snap on attachments. Instrctions very basic and only half complete,

Date PurchasedJan 2019

SJESydney

Inferior Product

We have now purchased 2 timers for the Holman misting system, they don’t even last one season and then fail to work. Bought a second one thinking we just had a lemon, but the second one was even worse. Don’t waste your money with this product, look for another brand.

Date PurchasedJan 2017
Holman I.Holman

Hello SJE, unfortunately, this is the incorrect product for a misting system. You will need a BTX1 or a misting timer. Thank you, your Holman Team!

SJE

I have now put my comments under the correct product as provided. Either wat still a Holman product of poor quality.

Loz

LozKewdale

Good while it lasts

Same issue here as with other reviewers.
Worked great and with no issues for 2 months but then started turning on by itself on times and days that were not scheduled. Changed the battery even though it was still 3/4 charged and then it totally went on the blink, automatically starting as soon as the battery was in and not being able to turn off or operate any functions.

Called Holman and they were really helpful agreeing it is faulty and informing me that it can be exchanged at place of purchase without receipt using the batch no.

Date PurchasedNov 2018
Holman I.Holman

Hello Loz, thank you for your review. Hopefully you had no issues having it exchanged.

Holman Auto timer 1601

Worked well when operating, 5mths..... then leaks appeared, rusted out the battery and circuit board... pulled apart as I am a bloke with a techo mind.... found a crack in the screw mount for the valve assy.. obviously hand fisted fitment of the screw... this led to the seal in the valve assy leaking... :( now the second timer just blinks twice in a row every second, tried new batteries etc... now its apart as well...
I don't keep receipts...

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
blu
blu

bought two more new items... maybe you could cover that cost of two new items... can scan the receipt… will call..

Sudden failure

Worked well on our veggies twice a day for six months. Then stopped working. Thought it was battery but replaced that twice and no different, still not working. Checked the manual for correct battery sign. We don’t have the bunnings receipt now. I’m hoping the other reviews on this page are just a small representation of the product quality.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Great when it worked

I have had same issue as another reviewer. Worked fine then won't switch off. Switched batteries and unable to program. Great product functionally except they don't last and can't rely on it. Bought a few and others lasted longer but eventually failed. Can't give details if these purchases at the moment.

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Luz
Luz

DavidGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Has been working well until the moulded casing failed!

I have installed dual timers (CO605) to irrigate different areas with drip systems and both have been working well until today when one "failed spectacularly" along the rear mould join and water gushed out along the split line. It was fortunate that it failed today as I am travelling overseas for 7 days later this week. It appears that the mould join in the timer unit may not be able to handle general water pressure after ongoing use over time.

Date PurchasedDec 2015
David

The unit is almost 3 years old, but I understand the unit should be covered against defective manufacturing under Australian consumer law.

Steve

SteveBurnie

Worked fine until the plastic casing split

Bought mine a couple of years ago. I found this timer easy to use, excellent battery life and quite reliable until one day I found the timer casing had split and water was spraying everywhere. Thankfully I was only gone for the day and not a long holiday! I guess the hydraulic shock of turning on and off eventually weakens things but I would question the build quality.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Mick

Mickasked

The water will not turn on through the timer to do the watering. Everything on the dial is set correctly, to the point where the sprinkler is showing that it is working.

Rob L

It sounds like the Timer is faulty as this is one of the problems I was having. Another issue I had was when I pressed the ON button, nothing happened either. I would press the OFF and then the ON button and still nothing changed. I even replaced the batteries and still no change. The unit was simply faulty and had to be replaced.
I contacted Holmans (actually they contacted me shortly after I posted my review on this website; they may do the same to you). They gave me advice on how to return it to Bunnings for a replacement. I suggest you tell them the problem you are having and supply your full details, including where (and when if you remember) you bought the unit. There should be a number on the bottom of the unit that I think they need as well. It can't hurt to ask for a replacement.
Their email address is: Services@holmanindustries.com.au
(By the way, I assume you do have the water tap turned on. Sometimes we are the fault and not the item).
Good luck,
Rob.

Kyteroad

Hi Nick, the Holman timer is only rated to 600kpa. If your water pressure is greater than that then it wont be any good to you. I had the same problem with my unit. I ended up returning it to Bunnings and purchased a Pope product that works with my water pressure.

Holman I.Holman

Hello Mick, it could indeed be a faulty timer, or pressure or something other! You are welcome to call us on 1300 716 188 and we can assist you with troubleshooting or warranty issues. Thank you, your Holman Team!

Tom

Tomasked

Is there any reason that when I leave the tap on, when the time comes for the water to activate that the system won’t let any more than a trickle through? If I turn the tap off and on while the sprinkler is meant to be active, it works fine?

Kyteroad

Hi Tom, I had the same problem with my unit. I came to the conclusion that it was a water pressure issue. The C01605 is only rated to 600kpa however this information was not printed on the package etc. I have high water pressure and now have a Pope timer that works fine as it is rated at 1000kpa. You will need to get a pressure reducer if you want to continue using the Holman C01605.

Shanelle F

Shanelle Fasked

Can someone help me with an error. My timer won’t turn off. It has been working fine for 3 weeks, coming on for an hour each day, but tonight it wouldn’t turn off, it was on past it’s scheduled time so I checked it, and it had the sprinkler icon displayed, the timer icon displayed, and also a time displayed that was ticket over very quickly. I couldn’t turn it off by hitting the off button and none of the other buttons were working. I just had to turn the tap off. I removed the battery and the display icons were still there ????

Holman I.Holman

Hello Shanelle, please remove the batteries from your unit for a half hour, this will allow the internal memory to dissipate. Hopefully, when you reinsert the batteries, the timer will be reset. If not, it may have developed a fault. This has a 12-month replacement warranty and can exchange it if it has failed within this period.

Get an answer from our members and Holman representatives

CategoryGarden Tools