Honda CBR125R

Honda CBR125R

See the Best Super Sport Bikes in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Red T

Red TMelbourne

Efficient commuter bike

If you want a bike without all the frills that just gets you from A-B this is the one. As a LAM's approved bike this bike this is going to fall under the lower end of the spectrum in regards to power. While it doesn't have the omph of like a cbr 250r or 500r, it will adequately get you from point A to B without a problem. Reliable motor, easy to navigate controls and highly efficient on fuel. Would be cautious for lighter fairing riders as the weight of the bike is rather light which may lead to some shakiness issues if riding in the wind, or at high speeds.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

J. Carter

J. CarterDandenong

Great Introduction To Biking

The winter riding was fine and the engine never missed a beat and always started first time even at -5 with the coolant I had in it from purchase, it was a strong reliable bike that I think for the price you cannot go wrong. I would rate it 4.

Date PurchasedMay 2015
Ken

KenSydney

stay away death trap

Very slow. Should not be on the road. Unsafe. Conned into buying one from a salesman without test riding first as a learner. very very under powered and light and unstable. cant pull away or keep up with traffic. at least with a bicycle you can ride to the side but with this you have to ride in traffic.

Date PurchasedJan 2010

CBR 125 an excellent bike

Test drove a 2009 CBR 125 for my daughter and it's a very reliable and great running bike. She really likes the bike - I wasn't able to ride for long w/o the leaned over position bothering my wrists. She's 5'8" though and I'm only 5' and it seems to make all the difference. For riding around town for a smaller or younger person in particular, this bike is it. However, I also sat on a Kawasaki 125 and liked it even more. If only they could get to the 150 cc mark I'd buy nothing else and ride it on the highway. The CBR 125 just maxes out on the highway with hills, so I wouldn't recommend it for highway use.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

BrownBradyOshawa, Ontario

2011 Honda CBR125R is better than the older generation in many areas

BrownBrady

Guys, thanks for rating my review. I have upgraded to a CBR 250R. I made a comparison review in my channel at http://youtube.com/BrownBrady if you would like to watch it.

This bike is awesome I have a 2007 model with 52000 km and still runs like a dream

This bike has perfect handling u feel so in control loves corners low on fuel very compatible perfect bike I wouldn't need a bigger one only for freeways

ziromrelhourne

Bear12AU

CBR125R 2011 Model - Great 125 commuter

Bear1205
Bear1205

Now passed 9,000km on the above bike, just replaced front brake pads. All still good nothing else to add to above.

Reliable, cheap.
But not enough power to be practical or safe anywhere but in town.
Go for a 250, better life out of it, and you can go on highways act.

Bear1220
Bear1220

Good but limited

Phil5578
Phil5578

Have just bought this bike. Thanks for the review. I bought second hand. Can someone tell me how to work the gears? I mean is it 1 down, 5 up? I'm still learning. Thanks

FRitz23
FRitz23

Have bought one of these to get me to the train station, fantastic little bike with more than enough power for what I need, I weigh 95 kg and it has no problem pulling my fat gut around. Excellent value for money and a good looking unit to boot.

deejay125
deejay125

Good

I think this is a good bike to start on for people who are a bit nervous with getting their first motorcycle (or they have to compensate because of worried parents :P) I have no complaints, except the lack of power - If i could go back, that would be the only reason that i'd choose a 250cc.
This is my first motorcycle - it's cheap, reliable, easy to learn on, economical and can be maneuvered with ease.
I'd recommend starting on a 250 for most people however, as the lack of power hits you about a month after starting on this (if it's your first bike)
also gear changes can be a bit sticky occasionally.

BlakeyV
BlakeyV

Hello , im looking into buying a honda CBR 125 and i was just wondering about the sticky gear changes and how bad it actually is .

niko87

Mine used to happen on 3rd and 4th gear. I will recommend you stay away from this bike. There are other better learner's bikes out there...

LS0

LS0

Good little commuter, not so hot for freeway

Pro:
- cheap to buy, cheap to insure, cheap to run
- very reliable
- very light and flickable, awesome on a twisty backroad
- quick from zero to maybe 85 KPH

Con:
- once you get up to about 90 KPH, the little motor runs out of steam quick
- top speed is only 110-120 KPH

Great leaner bike

It is a very brilliant starting motorcycle for the leaner, very good condition made by Honda. Easy to handle and cheap. Honda cbr125 is also looks good, like a real sports motorcycle. However, it's only 125cc so maybe the power is not excellent. But the limited speed for leaners is 80Kmh so it's the best choice for you.
Good looking, easy to handle, cheap and save for the fuel.
The power is a little low and the small problrm of the gearbox whick may make rider feel a little uncomfortable.

niko87Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Bad

Bear12

Niko says "No power at all"

This bike will break every Australia speed limit and pull away from most traffic, and the power is pretty much much what you can expect from a 125 he clearly should have ridden one before purchase.

niko87

Yeah that is on a straight road, with 1 rider. add 2 riders on an uphill slope (like where I live) and then let me know!

LS650
LS650

I bought this bike for cheap transport to work as I only have about 10 km to travel and the highest speed limit is 80km it is very good. The other benefits is that it is so light and narrow that I can ride it pass my wife & daughter cars without moving them. Being a shift worked after doggy you can always rely on it starting and being easy to ride home.
Easy to ride and cheap to run good for short commute with the price of petrol these days good for a learner or cheap transport to work.
Top speed is 100km but is better at 90km so not for free ways.

tibes

tibes

Good

Having owned this bike for a while I would recommend them to any learner, or anyone who will not be riding on the freeway, or above 80kph regularly. They handle great and are very easy to navigate in traffic, very cheap to buy and run. Before you buy just understand the limitations - if you want to do long-term recreational riding, this is not the bike for you. But an attractive, cheap, safe and good quality introduction to motorcycles.
Handles well, easy to learn on. Looks nice, has tacho, speedo, fuel and temp gauges.
Limited top speed and power. Power above 80kph is pretty non-existant. Bad headwind on the freeway will not allow you reach 100kph. Steep hills require several down changes, and you will struggle to maintain speed.

DamoAdelaide

DamoAdelaide

Good

Great learner bike, but you will get sick of it quickly due to its lack of power. Best use for it is if you live somewhere without a lot of traffic lights (the constant gearchanging due to it being such a small engine is very annoying) and not too many big hills it is an awesome commuter. I wouldnt buy one new though as the depreciation is horrendous - a great second hand model with very few k's will be about 2 grand cheaper than a new one.
Great looking learner bike, cheap to run (even on premium), easy to live with
All of the discomfort of a sports bike seating position, with none of the performance. Gearbox is difficult to change in to first occasionally (not just mine, but a common feature)

niko87

"...Gears difficult to change occasionally" You have the same problem as me. There is a known problem with the gearbox on these? Why give it 4 stars??

ellenbrae

ellenbrae

I have just got my L's and my husband bought me this bike. It's sooo easy to ride, looks great and I'm having a blast. Makes learning easy. Every learner should have one.
Everything.
Absolutely nothing.

Bear12

Your the target market the book says Intro Motorcycle and its perfect for that as well as a a commuter in metro areas

Good

It is a great bike for what it is...a commuter that is cheap to run and own. Just don't expect sports bike performance, but that said it is handles heaps better than a scooter.
Looks great - from a distance it looks just like a scaled down version of its big brother (CBR 600RR. Handles well and easy to throw around at speed up to 80 km/h. It gets to become hard work an a little less enjoyable to ride at speeds above this. Great fuel miser, cheap rego, cheap insurance and cheap servicing.
Runs out of puff at 110 km/h. Gearbox a little clunky and I have had it pop out of gear a few times.

Hi,
Known issue with the gearbox having sticky gears. It will get progressively worse, so get it replaced under warranty. Honda knows of the fault but they are trying to cover it up.

jonesyboy78

jonesyboy78

Good

A great like buzz box that would be great if you don't need to take it on a motorway. The fuel using is minimal and the cost savings would be big. It's a Honda so the build quality is legendary.
This bike is light and handles really well. I took it for a test ride and i was suprised about how much power it haves at high revs for a 125cc bike. When you give it some it really goes! The handling and road grip is fantastic. Throwing it into a corner you feel like it is on rails. A very nice ride.
It is small. The Wheels are skinny and I'd think about tuning it up if I bought one. Aparently you can get an aftermarket exhaust that will boost the top speed.

niko87

Would not say build quality is legendary. Many of us have had gearbox problems on these. They made in Thailand, and there is a known gearbox issue with this model.

Tony B.

Tony B.asked

Hey I've got a 13 plate Honda cbr125r with 16990 mileage on the clock is that bad or good just wanted to now, I use it day-to-day basis for work few people say wow that much its properly a stupid question like but just wanted to know? thanks

Stacey

Staceyasked

Hey! I'm a 5ft2 55kg female and I'm looking at buying a 2016 Honda Cbr 125 for the purpose of getting to uni and work.
I want to know if these bikes have any regular problems and whether or not it would struggle getting to 100km/hr given my size and weight. I've been struggling to find a bike that would fit my height comfortably (I prefer to have both of my feet touching the ground as I've never ridden a road bike before, only dirt bikes).

Thanks, Stacey

ziro

Hi, I'm 170cm & 62kg. While I owe CBR125, I did struggle a lot to get to 100km/hr. From my experience I needed about good 10sec to get to 100km/hr. & I have get use to in 1 month. . CBR 125 tire is skinny( we call cheese cutter), so you are little wobbly on corner, but 250cc up is fatter, so more steady. I came off CBR125R twice due to skinny tire (less contact surface) not gripping on the road when I try to manouvre like we all do. Being tail gated many times, but could not get out, due to less power. I would recommend only if you are riding around suburb. I recommend CBR 250 or CB400 revo or cruiser if height is issue. I rode from Honda CBR125R to Honda CB400 Vetc III , then current Yamaha YFZ-s 600cc, since you have ridden dirt bike, may be 250-400cc would be suit you. Happy Riding!!

Pamp
Pamp

Hello
I'm also 5' and 104 lbs and hadn't ridden a sport bike and then test rode and bought a 2008 CBR 125 for my daughter. It's an amazing bike I tiptoe on but with no.probs because it is so light. You need to review the engine high to change gears on the highway, which I didn't k ow, so struggled in mega wind and hills on highway. A perfect starter bike, though, and while I want an adventure bike, I may buy a CBR 125 for myself for handling and seat height.

Leonardo Nonol

Leonardo Nonolasked

what is recomended fuel?

ziro

unleaded 91 should be fine.but BP unleaded gave me extra k's about5km.

Get an answer from our members and Honda representatives