92% · 221 · 4%

Good top speed
Affordable maintenance costs
Rear drum brakes are weak
Seat uncomfortable for long rides

Oztog
OztogSydney3 posts

Great dirtbike for fun times

Chose this for my first dirt bike. I was a moderate level street rider and never had ridden on dirt, this bike made it easy and fun I loved my CRF230. The handling as you would hope from this bike is great as is the suspension which I did aggressively and it performs very well.

Display Name
Display NameBrisbane49 posts

Stable78 posts

Hunter
HunterLockhart

Reliable bike

I'm 15 and I've had the 230 over 5 months now its an 07 it runs great I'm 5'8 120 pounds so it fits me. I haven't had any problems with it besides normal wear and tear. This is my first bike definitely has power but not too much to scare you. Especially since I like tighter single track sort of enduro type rides this bike is great. Watch the front forks on downhills though they tend to dive. Besides that really tough bike cranks every time I hit the starter.

Donna
DonnaSingleton6 posts

Great bike

Got one of these when I needed to upsize/upgrade. Mostly use it to ride around the property and muster cattle. I’m definitely not an overly experienced rider but found this bike smooth, easy to handle yet still had enough power when I needed it. Found it easy to do a basic service myself. Electric start was also a bonus. Good reliable bike even for the less experienced rider.

Raptorman85
Raptorman85

Seat was uncomfortable and the drum brake the motor was bullet proof I rode the piss outta it and i

I loved the bike I've had a yz 250 crf 450 both great bikes but the ttr i dont have to worry about my friends when they come over to ride it jerking the slobber out of there mouth im looking at purchasing another ttr 230 just to beat around on in the woods I have a raptor 700r a rzr 900s and I still find myself missing my Lil ttr

Goofy
GoofyFakeville13 posts

Getting way too big for the bike at 6' 4'' but it still runs great!

I think in my previous reviews I forget to mention that the bike is a 2007 model. Many would think that a bike of that age would be showing a little bit of wear. Apart from some small suspension issues and longer warm up time, the bike is still running great! i recently opened it up flat stick in 6th gear and it absolutely flew! Defiantly not a toy.

TTR230 Lover
TTR230 Lovercanada5 posts

love the bike and never had any problems wit it other than wear parts

i have a ttr230 2011 and i love it, never had any problems other tham wear parts and handles. i fell a lot when i just got it. it was my first bike when i was 14 and it had a lot of power for my age and still does! it is excellent to control and can do some awesome stuff!!

Brendan
Brendan

awesome bike

I got this bike new six months ago. I love it, engine has lots of torque and power. Very easy maintenance, engine runs smooth and after gearbox breaks in (4-5 hours drive time) gear changes are really smooth.i do lots of single track riding and its perfect for that. I plan to keep it for a long time.
tough,powerful, good ground clearance.
rear drum brake can be weak,seat gets uncomfortable after a day of riding
jayzonk
jayzonkTORONTO3 posts

Riding it in snow??

I've had several bikes in my time, and you cannot just take a stock bike and ride it in the snow - you need different treads, or spiked tires. As for sand, it's the same issue - you have to set the bike up for deep sand riding, no matter what type of bike you have. It's unfair to blame the TT-R230 for that. Just get it equipped right, and it will work!!

I do lots of tight singletrack here, and the bike is incredibly nimble. Just the right combination of power and handling.

luke
luke2 posts

awesome trail bike

The ttr230 I an absolutely great bike for trail riding and off-road in general. I've had to do very. Little work if any on it and overall a great starter bike

Yamahabrapperkid
Yamahabrapperkid

Awesome trail bike

I recently just purchased a 2015 ttr230 and I absolutly love it. I'm 5'8 and fit this bike perfectly. It's got good power to lift the front wheel in third and make a rut while you're cranking through the gears and a nice note for a trail bike. No complaints about this bike other then the seat's a little uncomfortable and it's cold blooded but other then that, it's a great bike.

Russ
RussSydney12 posts

Great first Bike!

After owning 2 ttr230 s the second being a rego version {[ttr230a]. Good points : low seat; bullet proff engine,easy maintance,great in the bush,looks ok ,100ks till you hit reserve, second hand around 3 gs rego cheaper for none rego Not so good points : bit heavy 116kg wet suspenshion can bootom out on big er jumps .

all in all fully recomend this bike to start out on

4x4simon
4x4simon2 posts

Brilliant first bike

I reckon a ttr230 is an excellent choice as a learner trail rider. Easy to ride and smaller frame and low power. Awesome build quality. This is one tough bike. I've bailed off mine a few times without major problems. Keep in mind this is a learner bike and the idea will be to step up to a more serious dirt bike once you learn some skills. I'd advise upgraded handlebars and bark busters.
Electric start, Japanese quality, looks reasonable, low seat height.
No factory headlight, kick start, speedometer of any kind or horn. Front shocks are a bit average.
NahanRidesMotocrossCuzIt
NahanRidesMotocrossCuzItHobart10 posts

simply the best for an all rounder

i just bought 1 the other month and i ride allmost every week

very strong and reliable and affordable

i love it cuz it can do all i still havent figured out what to do like enduro trails MX SX ect but it might just be me getting of a 110 or the front end is a bit heavy but overall i give it 10/10
very strong and reliable and cheap
nothing

Karl K.
Karl K.

How much does it cost?

dakotamrsasser
dakotamrsasser

I have a 2019 Yamaha ttr230 and after an hour of trail riding the bike cuts out and wont start after an hour or so.(it has been awhile since an oil change) does anyone know how to fix this problem or cool it off faster besides an oil change?

Connor

I have a ttr230 2014 model and when i adjust the chain it is fine but when i go for a ride one side pulls and the chain comes out of adjustment how can I fix this?

Stable

Get someone who knows about bikes to look at it.
Could be a heap of things, either simple or complicated.

Righto thanks

Features

The Yamaha TT R230 sports a single cylinder, 4 stroke, air cooled 223CC motor. This is a carbureted motor which means this is a simple and low cost fuel feeding system, helping with a low cost of maintenance.

You also have an electric starter, 29.46cm (11.6 inches) of ground clearance, front disc brakes, and rear drum brakes. Standard tires include MX-Style wheels and tires, which means the TT R230 is ready to head off-road straight from the factory.

And for additional protection, you have rubber tubing protecting the suspension forks and seal, and grippy foot pegs that are designed to keep your boots secure to the bike in slippery conditions.

Points of Praise

• Great dirt bike for farm work
  • Compared to its competitors, it has a better top speed, holds its value due to demand and is light enough to pick up if you fall off it or drop the bike in slippery conditions.
  • A reliable bike, and easy for beginners to ride.
  • Basic servicing is easily carried out by one’s self if you live in a remote area.

Pain Points

• Front light position angle hits too high off the ground, requiring a custom bracket to bring the light position further down to increase ground visibility
  • Rear drum brakes can be weak, which can increase braking distances.
  • Seat can get uncomfortable after a day of riding.