Honda CBR250R

Honda CBR250R

Can't be killed

My Bikes Story (LONG): my example is a 2013 "Cherry Red", I'm the third owner. First owner was in Perth and put 1000km on it. Second owner rode it to Brisbane in three days, going up to 7000km on it in one trip, surely spent a lot of that time sucking in dust at 9000rpm. Then I got it. It came with a 350mm delko can, which I found too loud. Dropped it immediately, mirror stalk bent out of the way and then bent straight back. Crashed it later on at 40kph, bent the shifter and hammered it back out flat. Indicator and mirror hit too but still worked. When I started to get comfortable with it on the commute I had a goal of redlining every gear from 1-5 every day, and usually did so several times for good measure, for quite a long time. Stopped that when a nice man on an FJR1300 told me I should give it up. After this it sits at 7000rpm on the highway. Crashed it some more, learning about which brake to use when it's raining. Hammered foot brake out straight again. Exhaust got louder still, had a big leak so got a 450mm delko can instead which I'd recommend. Dropped it a few times with no real damage, on grass or mud. Had it in floodwater and slightly drowned it, ran the starter motor for a few minutes and it sparked up again. Had it in muddy water up to my ankles (feet were up) about 20000km ago, didn't seem to mind it at all. About 1000km of rough, rough dirt road. I think the extra "R" at the end means "Rally". Went out for a ride at dusk, went on a bit of dirt and that was fine but after getting into bitumen a Bandicoot ran out in front of me, I should have cut the crap in half but instead did a great stoppy which landed on its side. Straightened shifter again, but mirror was smashed this time. Ok to get home. Wreckers had one, $30 (fitted!) and back on the road. Got a new left rearset on eBay, great! May as well fit it, I think I'm done crashing. Bike gets knocked over in a carkpark. Shifter breaks. Handlebar bent. Indicator breaks. $130 for light & bar, I went back to my old rearset, it's ugly but it works. That's the bike now, really. 50000km of lessons learnt, traffic light GP, ringing it's tits off at every opportunity and there isn't any sign of mechanical failure.

So for all that I'd say they're pretty reliable. The nice man on the FJR1300 thinks they go fast enough. The scraped toes and warmed up tyre edges say they corner alright. The beaut stoppy says the brakes work well and don't skid you up.

Some things I will say.

Not much aftermarket support for different ergonomics.
Pulls on an EcoTec commo from a stop, but the car will catch up from about 70. Gutless of the highway but gets there as quick as you need.
I'd rate it as funner than the Honda 500s. The light weight and plucky character of the little single just pulls at my heart. The 500s I feel you have to push through a corner, where the 250 just seems to handle a tight turn more gracefully.
I'm running bt45 tyres. Great through turns but the rear will slip under engine braking. Mostly bought cos dual compound means they're cheap to run and have heaps of tread, so they're good in rain and give just a tiny bit of grip on packed dirt.
Had to manually adjust timing chain tensioner. It had started making a crap rattling noise around 42000km. Internet forum helped fix it, apparently a problem for most Hondas.
Due for a new chain&sprocket set at 50000km, buggers me how it's lasted this long.
Clutch starting to loosen up a bit, but a fair bit of life yet I guess. It gets dumped hard, a lot.
Some screw ports have been stripped. I'd recommend a torque wrench, but without it just tighten a little less than you usually would as the important bits are a little softer than what I expected.

Anyway, cheers for reading, ride safe (ish) and enjoy whatever bike you end up getting.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Perfect little bike for busy city ride

I used this bike to go to 2 different jobs in a day and both of my jobs were is busy areas sydney cbd and kings cross where paking car is not possible for long hours (have to rent parking space for cars).. this bike was perfect to ride in busy streets as nothing can beat this... it is easy to handle and around town it is a beast. But this is not very good for riding in freeways with speed limit like 110km/hr or more as it cannot handle wind and can be dangerous as it will be very hard to come to a sudden stop at that speed. But I have rode it for long hours in 110km/hr zone and I loved it ... I have dropped it couple of times when it was raining had to replace the clutch lever,brake peddle and the front left foot rest.. have some scratches on the back body of the bike and on the edge of the handle bar. But still runs perfect. Moved to a different state and I still have it.

Date PurchasedDec 2012

A Modern CBX 250

This CBR's got everything and more. It's only fault is some of its aesthetic build quality. It won't leak in your garage, it'll start first time every time, there's low down traction and torque, it's idiot friendly, great economy and if you miss a gear you can wind it past it's peak power without it losing its composure. ''It's a Honda''

For shorter riders definitely. Good ergonomics and comfort. I rode a carby model and the power delivery was as smooth as a twin. Minimal vibes even at high revs for a single quarter pot. Front end feels soft but toughens in turns, rear feels almost trail like but tracks easy as.

Impressive acceleration for its size. Sprints fast up to 70 then you remember it's a 250. Launch is easier than a twin. Power and engine braking much more practical around town. Front brake makes you confident, rear doesn't abruptly twitch when applied hard.

Fun factor is overwhelming even if you ride bigger displacement. ''More fun riding a small bike fast than a big bike slow'' adage. Overtake on the outside lane of a corner - be a complete fool - easy as. Great track bike or cafe racer.

Didn't buy a CBR - live in the foothills - prefer trail and let's face it - SA roads are a bumpy gas hole trash ride. Got a DRZ. 250. May even swap for a CBR down the line cause the CBR's just a gem on road. You could tour with this midget.

Huge improvement on the CBR 250 RR inline 4. Riding that grenade down the street at 40 - sounding like you're doing 80 - is just plain embarrassing. All that noise - going nowhere - real slow. Sure it'll hit 160 or even 180 - one minute later at 17,000 rpm.

Today's 4 stroke NSR 250 single makes 4.2 kg/nm - that's double the torque with an 11K red line. Multiply that out and it's around 45 horses - from one cylinder. Manufacturers release technology one step at a time for profit and marketing agendas. Inline 250 fours were inbuilt obsolescent service centre fodder with boom box exhausts

Date PurchasedJun 2014

Love this bike.

This was my first bike and is a great bike for learning. I bought mine second hand for a steal with only 8000 km on it. Enough power for zipping around town and as well as on the highway. Exhaust isn't the gruntiest and could do with some replacing to increase awareness but other than that, top bike.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Freat first bike, perfect city bike

This was my first Bike when i was a learner, I bought it new. it was shiny, quiet and great on fuel. I then sold it to move overseas. i gave it to some early-twenties as his first bike. i felt good to be able to pass on a piece of exceptional quality transportation. when i arrived back from overseas. i looks around, but ended up buying a second hand CBR250R from bikesales. It was just as powerful, just as good on fuel and just as fun to ride in the city. I really recommend it to anyone who loves to ride.

Date PurchasedApr 2011

Excellent tourer/fun Bike

I have had my 2013 CBR tri- colour abs for nearly two years having had a cbf 125 before . it's a great Bike as I have clocked up over 25,000 in that time. The exhaust was always in my mind to replace as the stock sounds like a sewing machine and the finish is not good .so found Delkevic 350 mm can on e bay half price.now looks great and sounds like Moto 3 . I had previously fitted k/n filter . but did get oversized baffle as thought it was a bit too loud. Seat a bit hard so have tourtecs cushion which helps . Have fitted double bubble screen from China which was on around £20 and fitted it myself . Have pirelli City tyres on at moment . Would move up to Honda cb500x but happy at moment as such fun to ride but just lacks top end speed.

Date PurchasedMar 2015

Honda = quality I LOVE IT

I still currently own a 2013 Honda CBR250r Repsol Edition. I have owned it since brand new! What a great bike here is my Positive and Negatives:

Positive:
-Bone stock power 19kW 23Nm torque 161kg, 7.5 seconds to 100km/h after that slow but expected for a 249cc. (gives the ninja 250r a run for their money but the ninja 300r is a little bit faster :( )
-LOW MAINTENANCE only have to get her serviced once a year or every 12,000km and since I don't do 12,000km a year I get her serviced once a year, but even then to look after my bike I change the oil and oil filter halfway through the year and take it to the dealer for the annual service. Valve clearance checked every 2 years as well as brake pad fluid replacement every 2 years. Coolant replaced every 3 years and that's all you need to worry about except if the batter dies :( :).
-Smooth ride and rubber foot pegs before 100km/h
-LCD digital odometer, speedo, fuel gauge and temp gauge but analogue tacho but all works PERFECT I LOVE IT sporty look!
-great down low power for a LAM gives a lot of V8 Ford/Holdens, Turboed WRX/Skyline and ford XR6 turbo a run for their money (once you put a aftermarket exhaust and high flow air filter on it 6.5 seconds to 100km/h probably can go faster if you install and tune the Yoshimura chip-set with your Yoshi exhaust)
-6 speed gear box is great maybe a 7th gear for the high revving on the highway but isn't that necessary.
-EFI great tuning and low emissions
-best of all 13L fuel tank I have put 98 octane in it since day one of purchasing haven't sold my baby yet I get 320-360km a tank I did the math about roughly 2.2-2.9L per 100km WOW lol.
-Touring/super sports riding position, sort of in between overall great for a LAM.
-Rev limiter I love how this bike engine cannot be revved in the redline as Honda have installed a rev limiter shows how long this bike will last for.

Negative:
-Uncomfy seat on long trips but acceptable on short trips (can fix at an upholster), Honda needs to re engineer this as going on group motorcycle rides this really turns me off and makes it less fun :(.
-High revving at 110km/h 6500rpm (roughly).
-Vibrates a bit at 100-110km/h but being a single cylinder you expect this or could be the aftermarket Yoshimura R77 full exhaust system I have installed on it.
-After putting an aftermarket K&N High flow air filter in my bike cuts out randomly when changing down gears but this could be to do with this
-standard RJC tyres only last 11,000km once you get aftermarket tyres on it they will last way longer!
-Parts are expensive but last!
-Sometimes on cold mornings starts after 3-5 cranks but then is fine I rev it to take off it cuts out then I start it again and starts way better.

Overall a great bike no problems yet except for the cutting out but this may be to do with the K&N high flow air filter I installed in it. To summarize this if you are doing a lot of around town riding the CBR250r is for you but if you are on the highway or doing longer trips then the Ninja 250r/300r is for you as they rev lower being a 2 cylinder and have a more comfy seat (I know this by sitting on 2 different ones that 2 different mates owned).

Date PurchasedDec 2013

Fun bike!

I purchased this bike back in 2014 and so far this has been a really fun bike. It always starts right up and is ready to go wherever I need it to. The only issue I’ve had was the ignition key switch getting dirt or water inside and not allowing me to fully insert the key. After finagling with it for a half hour, it seems to work fine again.

One thing you have to realize is this is a 250cc bike with 24hp, it lacks acceleration and top end speed but you should be able to keep up with just about any ‘typical’ car on the road. The stock tires on this bike are pretty good and seem to stick to the road well. Fast turns are a blast with this lightweight bike and you feel well connected to the road. I opted for the ABS brakes and so far they haven’t let me down, I think I have yet to lock up any of the wheels.

Overall, you have to understand this is a 250cc bike, not a supersport bike and accept its limitations.

Great for the price around the tonw/city

My cbr125r got stolen so i replaced it with a 2013 cbr250r with about 13000 kms on it. Love the extra power over the cbr125r. That was a painful slow bike but it served its purpose. This new 250 has way more power. I am 6 foot 90 kg. gets to 100 km per hour fine. Does around town excellent. Its been pretty reliable. Starts easy. Takes not much fuel about the same as the 125 if not just a bit better. Its still a single cyclinder and it makes me wonder about the cbr500r. I think having 2 x cylinders would be the ideal bike to d give you that extra bit of power when overtaking.
Being a single caliper front brake system i think the brakes let it down. It stops fine but i think that would be its weakest part of the bike. Having riden biks for over 20 years. Think it this one got stolen i would go back up to a 500 to get that bit extra power and then i would feel more comfortable about taking it for longer rides outside the city.

Great bikes

Great bike to learn on, would recommend for any leaner driver to practice on. Excellent handling ability, braking was great, rides really smooth and reaches speed quickly. They are sexy bikes. Really good on fuel, depending on petrol prices i use to pay $10 and it will last me 1-2 weeks.

Great Bike for Beginners and Experienced Riders

I'm a YouTuber (http://YouTube.com/BrownBrady) and I ride a tri-color CBR 250RA and a Honda Nighthawk 450. It has a been a great motorcycle to learn on after my CBR 125R. The seating position is a little more upright than the 125 so it is more comfortable on longer rides. The low end torque is similar to the 125 except that you can take this on the highway for more than an hour and keep up with traffic.

The ABS was the main feature which drew me to this bike because I fishtailed on my non-ABS 125 during my first season when I locked up the rear. I have activated the ABS on the 250 once already when I had to come to a sudden stop at an intersection. It worked as expected, but do not try this during a turn.

It is friendly to your wallet. Despite having an engine twice the size as the 125, the fuel economy is still excellent. With the gain in horsepower, wind drag, uphills, and a heavy backpack are not as much of a problem. The handsome styling not only gives it a sleek look but also works its aerodynamic function. It's easy and cheap to maintain and the insurance is very affordable.

The only drawback for me are: 1) The trip reset buttons are hard to activate; 2) The side stand is too long making it too easy to tip over; 3) At certain speeds, there is some vibration around the dash.

Other than that, it is a just as easy to hop in and go for a ride like the 125, and just as light and nimble especially around the city. Once you get used to riding the CBR 250, riding a heavier bike starts to become a chore... even the Nighthawk 450 which is only a hundred pounds heavier.

This bike has been discontinued in Canada and used ones are going for as low as $2,500 with ABS. I bought mine for $3,500 last year. At that price, it offers excellent value. This bike is a keeper. If you want to see my maintenance and mods on this bike, check out my YouTube channel (BrownBrady). Thanks for reading my review.

Very easy to learn

I bought one of these bikes when I wanted to learn to ride because my wife insisted on me buying something with ABS for my safety. So I had the choice between this bike and more expensive scooters. I am happy I chose this bike because it is very easy to learn. I was quite nervous about using the gears at first, but after stalling the engines a few times, I got used to changing gears properly. So far, the ABS kicked in twice, once when I grabbed the brake on the free way and the bike just slowed down instead of sliding on its side, saving me from becoming a statistics. The other time happened on a rainy day when I tried to stop when the light changed red. I think that's enough to justify the extra cost of ABS. I don't plan to upgrade because the bike works fine for my commuting needs.
ABS works well. Easy to handle. Plenty of power to run on free way.

Good

Brought a CBR250r ABS on sale for $5499 great value for a brand new bike from a dealer. Overall its an ok bike. Not a standout in any segment but it does what it is needed to do . It doesn't look good, sound good or go fast or even handle that well. But for a safe bike that will keep you out of trouble it is worth considering. The only two design and electronic faults that I have encountered is the helmet lock is very poorly designed with only a primitive wire cable to attach your helmet too, it leaves your helmet hanging down not tightly secured to the bike. also I have had some discrepancies with the fuel gauge not being too accurate. I would prefer a reserve switch and no gauge.
Price, Reliability, Fuel injection
poor finished instrument cluster

Great first bike

Have put about 1,000kms into my new Moriwaki edition CBR250R. Absolutely love it. It is the first bike I have purchased, however I have ridden a 1991 Kawasaki Zephyr for a while, and while the Kwaka has more torque and an engine twice the size, the Honda is still such a joy to ride (maybe more fun than the Kwaka despite the smaller engine!). When riding this bike, you need to remember it is only a 250, so power is not in huge supply. However with the Honda's extremely light weight body, and super responsive (and light) clutch, getting from 0 - 60km is not a worry. Neither is 60 - 100, or 100 - 130 for that matter. Its light body also makes it easy to throw around twisties as well as parking and navagating traffic. Has a digital speedo which I wasn't a fan of until I actually used one, makes it much easier/quicker to check your speed so your eyes aren't off the road for as long. In terms of the boring stuff, being Honda it has a very high quality finish (better than the Ninja in my opinion) which means its resale is one of the best (again better than the Ninja IMO). Which is why you can't find many cheap second hand bikes, and dealers will be more than happy to take this off your hands when you decide to upgrade. I am 180cm and 78kg and the ride position is very comfy, when stopped, both my feet are easily planted on the ground. Has the usual reserve tanks for radiator, front and back brakes, but I do not think it has a reserve fuel tank. Gets its advertised 300km/tank with 98 octane.
reliable, inexpensive, energy efficient

Great First Bike!

For a 250cc bike you cant go wrong with, great handling with good stability, when going around tight corners i dont feel like im going to fall off the bike, it comes upright with very little acceleration.

Fuel economy will come down to how you ride the bike, i currently pay around $13-17AUD for a full tank of petrol, i generally wont let the tank go empty to the point of the last bar blinking at me i will fill up on 2 bars left, so sometimes its even cheaper. the bike gets me 220-250kms on a full tank, i had a friend who could squeeze almost 300km from it, but he took it easy, i like to accelerate quickly on my travels it all depends on how you ride.

my max speed on a windy day has only been 158kmph, the engine in 6th gear did sound like it wasnt going to get much more torque out so i wouldnt expect to much more in terms of max speed but for a 250cc bike it is more than enough for beginners seeing as the max speed on freeways is generally 100kmph in australia anyway.

going from 0-60 can be achieved quite quick, i can accelerate quickly and get around 45-50 in first gear before changing and once im in second i can keep the throttle on until i change into 3rd and before i know it im basicly pushing 80-90kmph in no time at all.

i do feel safe going onto a main highway that has a speed of 70 or even 100 knowing i can get up to speed fairly quickly without having to wait for the traffic to all pass.

if your upgrading or thinking to upgrade from a scooter to the cbr250r then youll feel happy with the responsiveness of the throttle and zippy acceleration

im 5"10 86kg's the bike is a comfortable ride height for my size

a great learning bike, i have the abs model just to make riding in the wet a tiny bit safer

overall the cbr250r can be mistaken for a bigger bike from how it looks with its sporty style, and if you get a custom exhaust system you will sound like a bigger bike aswel :)

great first bike!
Great Handling, Good on Petrol, Abs Model Is Worth The Extra Money, Sporty Look, Great First Bike,

New "R" vs old "RR"

I did my time on my L-P plates on a cbr250rr.
The little pocket rocket had more then enough power for a new rider, and performed surprisingly well as i pushed it as far as comfortably could. The excelent handling and sufficient acceleration had me right up the de-restricted gt650s that three of my friends had bought. In the tight stuff anyway.
You could imagine my excitement when I heard Honda were bringing out a new babyblade!
After reading up on the bike I was, bitterly disappointed. A single cylinder engine dribbling out half the power of The 250rr is in no way worthy of the CBR lable.
When a friend bought one earlier this year, I was slightly curious as to how the bike would perform in reality. So, with his permission, I took it for a spin.
Although the bike did have a little punch in the street, my suspicions were confirmed. The bike lacked mid-top end power and felt closer to a zzr250 then a CBR, in terms of riding position.
The engine sound added to the thought that I was riding a glorified postie bike.
While the new cbr250r makes an entirely acceptable commute bike, it should never, even for a second, be mistaken for a sport bike.
Fuel injected
Engine, chassis, single disk, farings

New 250's all sound a like a postie, for instance I tried out a chinese made migelli , they say it european design watever that suppose to mean, I tested the bike at the dealer and the minute I heard it start up I said forget it, it wil wake up the neighbours on a quite sunday morning. Another bike was the Hoysoung (sounds like a ketchap sauce) As a Honda Fan, The older bikes have better smooth handling power, more rpm's per minute, quick slip/catch gear reflex, much quiter, not speed restricted and 4-cyclinder based carb with better cooling and I would call it a sports bike. cheap parts also. I have a bike built in the 80's and dare would I say not trade it for a new one. The new R's not worth getting unless your just commuting from A to B. If any bike is built in Japan it is built to last, if it is built elsewhere with a japanese lable make sure you have good insurance to cover yourself and others.I wouldnt reccomend riding a chinese,taiwan or korean made bike even if they offered me a free one with a bag of million dolars attached to my back, the chances are I would probably not survive to spend it all. My experience with bikes spans over many years, the best bikes were built in the late seventies to the late eighties with better robust parts and concept engineering. These days your ride can be fragile.

Good Learner Bike

I bought the red 250 with ABS. I had never ridden before so it was a pretty easy choice. It is a pretty forgiving bike, will even change gears up and down without clutch if you are a real newbie. The gears are a little clunky you need to give it a kicking as sometimes it doesn't quite find a gear correctly. No big problem though. You can ride for a good hour before you need to stop for a bit of a stretch, the seat can be a little harder if you are riding all day. I am about 170cm and 72 kg's and it will cruise nicely up the highway at 120 no prob's but get's knocked around in wind. I would say anyone who has never ridden before will certainly be able to learn on this bike as I had never ridden before but I am already looking at upgrading after my restrictions as I am always looking for an extra gear. I would only recommend this bike to new riders.
Easy to learn on
Underpowered, gears are a bit clunky no real big problem, get's knocked around in the afterall it is a light bike, seat can get a little hard on a long run.

A learner bike for junior .......and a hoot for dad as well.

I hunted around for a bike that would teach my son all the basics of road riding ,and yet still allow him to ride with me and my mates , all of whom ride 1000cc plus machines.this little bike is no rocket but can cruise on the highway with no problems , steers faultlessly in any situation, and the integrated ABS brake option ,light and balanced feel, and a seat height that seems to fit my 180cms and his 170cms just make it the perfect bike for a new rider , and the looks.... what a cooool ,sporty little machine. The clutch is light , the torque from this little thumper is great around town ,and the Honda fit and finish is excellent.This is a great little bike ,and I find myself looking for a reason to duck down the shops , just to give it a squirt.
Great handling, Great brakes, Great fuel economy , Great learner bike, Great build quality ,Great ride.

My First Bike - and it's all good!

I had a look at this bike alongside other learner legal (<250cc in WA) bikes in all 3 dealers in town as well as on the web. After doing some research on what other people's experiences were I decided that the best value for money ride was the CBR250R. It seems that Honda has been able to take advantage of the economies that Thailand-based production can offer without compromising their reputation for performance and reliability. The only things that give away the cheap price of the bike are the lack of electronic features and some of the finishing. My custom Harley-riding crowd were having a laugh at the lines around the sticker and the orange peel paint and I have to admit I don't like the matte silver paint and rough finish on the alloy, but it's made to a price and these things can all be fixed if the urge to customize kicks in before me and the bike are ready to part ways. The panels are beautifully designed and fit perfectly and that is what really makes it look the goods.
Far more important to me is the performance. My mates were quite surprised at the amount of torque the bike can unleash for such a little engine, but it becomes a little weak at higher speeds, where the top speed is 174km/h, which is not bad! but some knowledge of the bike's performance is essential if overtaking is required.
I've had no problems with the bike so far and I've given it some learner-style punishment that it has accepted without fuss.
At 5'8" (170cm) I'm just about the perfect height for this bike. My 6'5" boyfriend looked a little ridiculous and had a bit of trouble using the foot controls but enjoyed taking it for a little spin anyhow.
I got the tri-colour so I can't comment on ABS, the ABS option is not offered with that colour scheme.
Inexpensive, efficient, reliable, easy to use, looks great, lots of fun!
If you're over 180cm tall you'll be cramped on this, it's better for smaller riders.