Honda Odyssey

Honda Odyssey

RC1, R6/RA8, RB1 and RB3

Perfect family car

Absolutely the best family car (with young kids) for many reasons. I have 2 car seats for my kids and i love that i can slightly recline the seats for when they fall asleep so their head isn't resting on their knees. The far back seat folds completely back which is so handy to change kids' nappies. The standard model comes with all the extras like sunroof, leather seats, folding side mirrors, window shades and more. The only negative is that the boot isnt automatic and its quite large so it's always a bit of an effort to close it, but even with that minor discomfort i still give it 5 stars. I bought this car brand new in 2015 and have had no issues with it

Purchased in June 2015.

BoughtNew

Great package, highly reliable.

We purchased our car 2nd hand but with a full service history. The car is. 11 years old with nearly 400,000km (yes that's a lot). Let me tell you everything that has ever gone wrong. One engine mount replaced, one oil sensor replaced the light in one of the seat heater buttons doesn't come on. The seat heater still works but.
This car is extremely well thought out apart from the top tether straps for kids seats passing over the heads of the 3rd row. Nonetheless we don't actually use the 3rd row anyway and we easily fit 3 full size kids seats in the middle row. You can also have isofix seats in the two outside middle row spots. Not sure on middle spot. We usually have a decent amount of weight in the car and our fuel economy hovers around the 9.5 Lt/100km mark using e10 fuel.
The aircon is great, especially with the seperate rear fan and multiple rear air outlets. The car is fine for long trips, quite comfy (we have leather seats). With the 3rd row seats folded there's tons of room in the back. I'd be happy to recommend this car to anyone that wants a cheap family hauler and isn't concerned about having an SUV. We basically treat the car as a station wagon. Have used the 3rd row seats maybe once. Btw they fold up or stow away electrically at the push of a button, very nifty.
Another handy feature is being able to use the remote key lock to wind down all the windows after you unlock the car, great for a hot day. It's not exactly a hot rod but has plenty of power for overtaking and getting up to speed on highway merging etc. The cruise control is super responsive so you can set it on the highway and just adjust your speed up and down at the press of a button, easy. I'm 6'3" and big (120kg) and I have no problem fitting in the front seats.
The service interval is 10,000km/6 months but as it's got so many kms I do it every 5,000km with 5W-30 full synthetic oil VTEC requires clean high quality oil.
It requires a top up of around ½ litre of oil during this time. For an engine with closer to half a million kms that's pretty damn good. Also as the auto gearbox isn't serviceable I do a drain and refill of the transmission fluid every 20,000 kms. This replaces about ⅓ of the fluid. You must use Honda genuine fluid. The Odessey is the last of the Honda's still built in Japan and you can tell, their is clearly pride taken in building a solid well made extremely reliable vehicle.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Very disappointing electronics/console

I accidentally left my key and fob in the garage, used push button start and drove to my destination 20 minutes from home with no audio or digital alert from the car. Had to taxi home to get the key! Also the Bluetooth is dysfunctional and the maps is not user friendly. Thermometer is often several degrees incorrect. All are consistent with the manufacturers specs so if you’re after a car with great console features go for a different brand! Otherwise a nice car to drive.

Engine Size3.0
Date PurchasedNov 2017

good car but a couple of problems

So we travel a lot and this car is sooooo reliable. Only two things have become a problem. Firstly the fake leather is rubbish and falls apart on the luxury model i own. Secondly the rear suspension has become so soft that each set of tyres has worn the inside tread out from bottoming out inside the wheel well. Admittedly we have put some heavy loads in the car for long distance travel ie a car fridge, luggage but only two or three people.

Date PurchasedApr 2013

Problems I have faced with my Honda odyssey - and my frustrations with the level of customer service

I am having troubles with my car and would like to find out if anyone has had a similar issue and can offer any advice.
I purchased a new Honda Odyssey VTI-L model in 2016 and was rather impressed by the electrics and features within the car.
However, 6 months into the journey, I begun having issues with my radio / display unit. The unit would reset itself intermittently, and every time it did so it would wipe out anything stored on it, reset the radio and also lose bluetooth and radio while it resets.
I reported the problem to the dealer who changed the unit, but the problem reoccured again.
This time, I raised a concern with Honda, and have been going to and fro on this matter.
On Honda's advice, the dealer also changed a few electrics behind the unit, and ran the car for a couple of days and then returned it to me stating all is fixed.
After a couple of days, the problem again reoccured. I contacted Honda australia and advise them of the situation.
Honda, now tells me that given the issue has not occurred in the presence of their technician there is nothing more that can be done and the dealer will monitor the issue until it can be reproduced.
Given the problem is intermittent, I don't believe this is going to be an easy task. Also, since both the unit and the electrics behind have been changed, and the problem still persists, I am beginning to think that there is a fault with the car.
Has anyone had a similar problem and how have you approached resolving the issue.
I am not really happy with the level of service offered by Honda australia, although the dealer has been pleasant and tried to do everything they could.
Given this car is still under warranty, I was expecting Honda to at least take the car and put it through a number of tests to stress the car out and see if the problem can be reproduced. But, this is not happening.
If you have experienced a similar issue please comment and let me know how I could approach this.
I am thinking of taking it to consumer affairs but want to know whether i should go further.

Date PurchasedMay 2016

Average

I drive a Honda Odyssey every day and have been for the past few years, inheriting the car from my parent's. I get the car service 3-4 times a year.

It drives well and is super spacious, amazing for families or people needing to move many items regularly. I play drums across Australia so this car is ideal for my situation.

However, the battery in this car is very poor, I feel as if I change it more than most people would change their battery. I do not leave the car running for long periods, barely have the air con on but I do listen to music of the stereo a lot. I am not sure if that would do anything to battery but is very odd that a flat battery occurs quite frequently.

Also, I feel as if the car is extremely fragile and poorly built in the sense of ergonomics and practicality. Be careful of practically any driveway as this car loves to scrape across almost every drive way and speed bump I go pass.

It's a good car but definitely needs heeappppsss of work to make it practical and safer to drive.

Date PurchasedSep 2007

Great car for work and family

We purchased this car to use for both family and work. With the rear seats folding flat in the back, it gives a very large space to use for transporting work materials. It also works with a mattress so our two small kids sleep there when travelling.
The automatic door is wonderful, making school drop off and pick up super easy from the kiss and ride zone.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Great family car!

I had purchased this car to accommodate my growing family and have been very pleased with the overall performance. I have the 7 seater model which is able to fit 3x 0-4yo car seats with great accessibility - this was one of my top requirements when short-listing the vehicles. It is not expensive to maintain and parking is super easy with the 360deg-view cameras. Only downside is there is no automatic door open function to the rear door otherwise great car! Highly recommend to those who want space with a touch of luxury.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Perfect car for my family (with 2 young kids)

Mine is the VTI-L model. I love this car so much as it has the sliding doors and the bird eye camera for easy parking. I do not have to worry about my kids opening the door and damaging other people's car. Very fuel efficient although it does not have much power. It is very spacey inside and you can fold down the very back seat for more boot space

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Car is ok. Had power window issues since day 1

Car is ok. However I had power window issue since day 1. Honda acknowledge the issue however it took them 2 years to apply a workaround to the issue and countless number of time I had to bring the car back to Scotts Honda. In the end I had to settle for no car tint. Would I buy again from Scotts Honda. Definitely NO!

Date PurchasedJun 2014

Interior fabric not durable!!

My Honda odyssey, 7 seater model is lovely to drive. However the interior design could have been better. All the seats covers are worn out like never before, I have tried to find a stitcher to repair them but after awhile everything came back to the earlier state. I'm trying to sell it now and can't wait to get rid off it

Date PurchasedFeb 2013

Reliable family car

I have 5 children and this car is a great car. Amazing on fuel as we drive from brisbane to mackay and it cost about $120 for a 10 hour drive one way. The seats r comfy and its smooth to drive i think the only issue i have is the boot is to small.

BadgeIdk
Engine SizeIdk
Date PurchasedMay 2014

ODYSSEY - Room for improvement

Well i have driven a current model Odyssey for 100,000km's now.
Here is what i liked about it. Comfortable in the front seats, well set out dash and nicely finished off with trim and fabric. Drives well and performance for a small engine is good. No major breakdowns - but it does have a few annoying faults.
The car developed a ticking noise in the engine especially noticeable on start up. It is quite bad now but doesnt affect its performance. Dealer in Essendon Fields has failed to fix it despite it being drawn to their attention. UNCOMFORTABLE in the back, hint - dont expect people in the back to stay silent when you drive over bumps and railway lines! This is some Honda need to sort. My other family car is a 2013 Kia Carnival ( not current model) and its way more comfortable for passengers. Squeak in right rear window is also very annoying.
Otherwise its been a good car but lets face it guys, you dont buy an Odyssey as a drivers car its a people mover and meant to have poeple in the back so step up the R&D! Hopefully mext model will be better.

Date PurchasedApr 2014

Good people mover,

we shopped around for a 7 seater, and chose the odyssey,

I'll list the pro's and cons

Pro's
1. Slide automatica doors are brilliant, by far best feature of the car
2. Centre isle only with luxury model, again the fact I don't have to fold seats down to get in the back is great
3. Only boot that fit our pram! Yes! Believe it or not no 4WD fit a pram if the third row was in use!!
4. Price, it's definitely bang for buck!

Con's
1. The engine and drive line is rubbish! Feels like a Honda mower, cannot go over any speed jump with any sort of speed
2. The touch display is actually stupid and dangourous, while diving u need to feel for buttons not look for buttons!!
3. The dash board is also a dust collector
4. Fuel economy is rubbish for that engine size

Engine Size2.3
Date PurchasedSep 2016

Perfect for families

Bought a volvo initially but sold off to exchange for a honda Odyssey due to the spacious interior. Needed a big 7 seater. Family visited over the winter and managed to fit everyone into one car comfortably. All adult size seats w full legroom. Centre row captain seats are amazingly comfortable. Chassis about low though. Have to show down qt abit when going over hump or dip.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

2013 Odyssey = Best for running around town with a load full of "smelly" kids

In 2013 we've traded in our forever problematic VW Tiguan for a Honda Odyssey....what a far cry!!!
Super easy to drive, plenty of space, comfortable, and I didn't need to pay in excesses of $800 for service..... like the Tiguan !!!
What I like the most is the dual air-cond with third row vent + second row controller - in our case that really helps, especially when I'm with 4+ kids in the car after footy.
The engine is more than adequate for city driving, but it will struggle with 7 people + cargo box in your way to Gold Coast......(and make sure U are not in a rush :).... Saying that the car is very comfortable and long trips are easy to manage.

Date PurchasedDec 2013

Best option for growing family

Easy to drive with amazing 360degree camera making it so easy to park. The two middle seats are fantastic for long journeys and have the option to fold down flat. It is a really comfortable car that I have driven for some 10+ hour journeys and it just felt like a breeze. The electric sliding doors and keyless entry make it so easy when your trying to get in with little ones. Going from a small car I was really tentative to get something so big, but this car is just so easy I would never look back!

Date PurchasedOct 2015

This is perfect for family

Drive very smooth as silk. Few things missing like just provide power park brake button instead of lag park paddle, missing car boot door auto shutdown. Running cost is not bad as considering big car. Approx 9L per 100 kms. Over all very nice car. very happy, value for money too.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

The only option for fuel economy and a large family

I'm about to have a 3rd baby and needed an occasional 7 seater. I didn't want a large van that drives like a bus and really did not want a large suv that uses heaps of petrol. This one seems to tick al the boxes. Heaps of boot space with the back seats down. I'm able to fit 3 car seats across the 2nd row (2 sns maxi riders and sns saftey capsule). When we have visitors the 2 carseats go into the back row and guests sit in the middle row. With the back seat up i can dtill fit in luggage and a pram. There is plenty of leg room in the 3rd row. It is really smooth to drive but totally gutless.

Date PurchasedDec 2015

Everything you want in style

Absolutely LOVE our odyssey. I cannot believe I did not discover minivans earlier! The selling point for me was the electric sliding rear doors and 4cyl engine. For us the car is to be used around the city, so why would I need the v6 which just costs more in petrol?? The space inside is amazing, my children are not yelling directly behind me anymore

Date PurchasedAug 2016

hi can someone please give infos on how you put roof rack/ rails on your honda odyssey? thanks

Can someone confirm there is no isofix in the 3rd row/back row? Thanks
I don't think so. Only in the two outside seats 2nd/middle row. Also be aware the top tether straps from the 2nd/middle row pass over the top of the 3rd row seats. You can easily fit 3 full harness kids seats across the middle row. Also finally, the 3rd row is the least safe in a car crash, it's listed in the handbook as being part of the crumple zone. So I'd consider it for occasional use only.Hi thanks for the reply. I guess you're referring to the 8 seater version. That's a shame but makes sense given what you mention about the 3rd row being in the crumple zone. Makes the 7 seater option slightly less attractive, as without the 3rd row there are only 4 seats! So most people would be utilizing the 3rd row ( I imagine) with this 7 seater version. That is strange about the 2nd row anchors. I always thought the anchors were located on the rear of the seat (so no obstruction/intrusion to the 3rd row seats). Here in NZ the 7 seater is model name is L (or LS from 2018) and is the more expensive version. The 8 seater is the S and has fabric seats. In Aus I think they are called VTI-L and VTI respectively.

A dealer told me yesterday that all Honda Odesseys in Australia had timing chains. However, i seem to be getting conflicting advice. Can anyone tell me for certain please. I am looking around at the 2004 to 2008 year models. Thanks heaps.
Sorry - I only know about my car.

Odyssey RC1Odyssey R6/RA8Odyssey RB1Odyssey RB3