X300, X320, X350, etc...

Pros

• Cut grass evenly and effectively

• Easy to use

Cons

• Expensive to maintain

• Product is used
  • Hill / Slope Performance
  • Safety
  • Wet / Damp Grass Performance
  • Turning

Ten year review.

I own a 2009 x320 and mow 1 acre (minus house, driveway, pool, and shed footprint) of relatively flat lawn. No pulling, aerating, towing, pushing etc. I have 350 hours and still on original motor oil. Just joking, still all original belts. Only repair was the "brains" of the mower, the ECU I think they call it. It was a $75.00 replacement. It rides great and feels like a heavy duty lawn tractor as advertised. Very pleased with the mower and plan on getting a x500 one day so I can pull, aerate, tow, and push. I have pulled the "non serviceable" trans twice and replaced fluids but that kind of is irrelevant to my review. I do expect it to extend the life of the hydro though.

Purchased in May 2009 for $3,800.00.

Not for Ranch use

If you live in the city with a large yard this tractor will probably work for you, not so much on a farm or ranch
gets stuck in it's own shadow

Purchased in December 2017 for $3,200.00.

RobC

RobCGippsland, VIC

A good solid mower

Had my X300 for 5 years and have not had problem with it beyond normal wear and tear. I live on a hill and have has no problems with wheel slip. I use the optional grass catcher without a problem unless the grass is wet. Wet grass tends to block the catcher inlet chute, but I normally don't mow wet grass, so this is rarely a problem. Early in its life a lower bearing on one cutter failed. I was advised by another owner not to use the hose connection on the deck to clean the deck unless the deck was cold to prevent water being drawn into the lower bearing. This appears to be good advice as I have not had another failure. I am yet to replace any belt.
A good, solid machine, but not cheap...

Purchased in May 2015.

Rough ride

Don't buy this mower unless your lawn is flat with no bumps. The chasis is so stiff it is rattling my teeth. Bought it 5 days ago and taking it back. Mows fine and has plenty of power but it rides terrible! Compared to my (cheap) old Poulan which had a great ride (despite being cheaply made).

Purchased in May 2020 for $4,400.00.

chris

chrisDarwin, NT

pretty good machine

well all other reviews here are from amateurs I have done 750 hours with mine and apart from blades the odd belt and services every 100 hours it's still performing perfect, I still haven't put new spark plugs in it they are still sitting on the bench.
I mow about 8 acres with it all rough and rocky in the wet season the mission grass is about 6 foot high but it still cuts through it at just over idle no problems I also tow a 44 inch tow behind mower with it and cut 88 inches, no problems with the transmission.
If you want the deck to stay good don't rev it high that just smashes it in rocky conditions.
Hard to beat a john deere

Purchased in June 2012 at vanderfield for $8,000.00.

Sonya 1

Sonya 1Central Queensland, QLD

Excellent mower

I have had this mower for a few years now and have just clocked up 250 hours. It is the fourth ride-on I have owned and easily the best.
I use it for mowing a fairly rough two acre block and apart from routine servicing have not had to spend anything on it. Servicing is quite easy for the home owner and easier than other makes I have owned.
I have read some other reviews on here where people have had transmission issues. Unfortunately some people buy a ride-on mower and expect it to do the work of a bulldozer or agricultural tractor. Use it for what it is designed for and you won't have any issues.

Purchased in March 2013 for $5,000.00.

THe Bear

THe BearGlenwood

love it!!!!

bought this 2018 mower when it was 12 months old with 47 hours on the clock. Beaut to use and comfortable, one of the best seats I have ever experienced. Heaps of power with Kawasaki twin engine. Also very impressed with the strength of the deck, some decks appear flimsy. These select series are a long way ahead in build quality than other John Deere mowers. LOVE IT!! Also, the hydraulic deck is fabulous.

Purchased in January 2019 for $4,000.00.

Pete

PeteCHRISTCHURCH

Great Mower. Expensive to send to Dealer to maintain so doing it myself

Great ride, we have 2 acres and mows really well. 3.5 hours per week more often in the spring.
I would certainly buy another if I need too but this one has 400hrs and still going well. Recommend to who ever wants one. Just as said the maintenance bill is excessive, learn to do it yourself including blade sharpening or replacing

Date PurchasedAug 2009
redrobin67

redrobin67Sellicks Hill, South Australia

Very impressed with the X350

We recently upgraded from a 6 year old Greenfield to a John Deere X350. Only wish we'd done it sooner! This machine is quiet, starts instantly, cuts beautifully and the turning circle is brilliant. We were considering a Cub Cadet but after test driving one it was clear the John Deere is a better built and more comfortable mower. It is perfect for our 10 acres with lawns, paddocks and raceways.

Date PurchasedOct 2018

Find out how John Deere X300 Select Series compares to other Ride-On Mowers

Front tire will not hold air

Good product, very heavy duty, but one of the front tires will not hold air. I took the wheel of and my dealer re-mounted it and it worked for a while. They say this is not a warranty situation, but it came out of the box like that. My 20 year old LX178 lasted 18 years before it had the same problem. My made in China replacement wheels are still working fine after two years. If I have to put China's finest on my new made in America John Deere, it will be a sad day.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Good thing it is no longer available

This is a good mower but very expensive to maintain. For the price of all the maintenance I could have purchased another mower from a Lowes or Home Depot. I live on a hill. This transmission is not one for hills. That was only $1300.00. The belt for the deck is expensive. Replaced 4 times @ $130 each time. I will not buy another John deere mower.

Date PurchasedMar 2009

Works well but rattles from steering coloum and petrol cap not good enough for high end lawn mower

Cuts well but heavy on fuel consumption to my old 300x good to have fuel gauge And bigger tires and mulch deck fitted but hard to clean and gets clogs up sometimes plenty of power to old one put on seat cover but slides all over the place can't tighting

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Worst mower I have ever had!

I mow once a week. I never mow a wet yard and yet even with brand new blades my grass seems to continually clump up. My shoot cover is up. I have 200 hours and I have gone through 5 belts because every time you back up it disengages the blades.

Date PurchasedMay 2012
Clint

ClintNational City

Seat Material

After 200 hours of using it for lawn cutting the seat material is flaking off. It was never left outdoors always kept in a temperature and humidity controlled space. I cannot believe such cheap material was put on a John Deere. Also, there is no gas gauge. I have to get off the tractor and try to find the gas level in the tank? Ridiculous cost saving by salesmen and bean counters not someone who ever uses a tractor. After having John Deere equipment for most of my life, I will never buy another.

Date PurchasedMar 2016
Zowner

ZownerSouth East Queensland, QLD

Good Mower almost 5 stars.

Date PurchasedNov 2009

David M

Id say Amazon

Alan E Williams
Alan E Williams

From any John Deere dealership or you can buy cheapies on eBay

Barry T

Barry Tasked

X350

My men's shed has two problems on two X350 mowers'
1. When engaging reverse one only crawls.
2. The deck won't lock in the raised position to assist in the deck removal.

Laurie A.

Laurie A.asked

X320

I'm considering buying a used X320 with 220 hours on it for a rough bumpy 3 acres. What should the price be for that and what should I look for when test driving it? Sounds like there is a lot of starting problems with it...
I currently own a L130 (the L is for LEMON!) and have had one problem after another with it. Belts break regularly (despite picking up sticks from the yard), spindles need replaced regularly, always something. Considering going with another brand. Any thoughts out there? I'm tired of constantly repairing the L130 despite regular maintenance, oil/filter changes and lubing, etc...

See all John Deere X300 Select Series questions

Features

• 4-wheel drive steering on the X354 and X384 reduces the need to reverse when trimming around narrow areas like trees or landscaping features.
  • When you do need to reverse, a two-pedal foot control allows you to do so easily.
  • The cutting height can be adjusted in increments of a quarter of an inch, for precision in cutting.
  • One-touch mulch control lets you turn the mulch function on and off with the press of a button.
  • An easy-to-read display shows the rider the engine speed for greater control.
  • You can adjust the positioning of the cutting deck by pulling on a lever located below the seat.
  • Option to add a rear bagging attachment, although the X350R automatically comes with a rear bag on the mower.

Points of Praise

• John Deere X300 Select Series mowers are reported to be durable ride-on mowers that can be relied upon. For some reviewers, their mowers are still going strong after 250-400 hours of use.
  • Easy to drive and to use.
  • These mowers cut grass evenly, reliably and efficiently - so save time for those who are using them.
  • The mulching kit makes spreading nutritious mulch all over freshly mowed lawns a straightforward process.

Points to Consider

• Maintenance can be expensive to pay someone else to do. More than one reviewer recommended that owners of John Deere ride-ons perform DIY maintenance jobs instead. These were reported to be cheaper than paying a professional, and not too difficult. Some dealers also sell service kits, which makes the process easier.
Compare all 14 John Deere X300 Select Series

Horsepower22 hp22 hp18.5 hp18.5 hp
Max Speed9.5 km/hr10 km/hr9.3 km/hr8.9 km/hr
Reverse Speed5.6 km/hr5.6 km/hr5.6 km/hr6.4 km/hr
Dimensions 1200 x 1590 x 1829 mm1200 x 1590 x 1829 mm1200 x 1280 x 1829 mm
Manufacturer Warranty4 year(s)4 year(s)4 year(s)4 year(s)
Engine / Motor
Engine NameFS651V 726cc 22hpFS651V V-Twin OHV 726 cc 22hpFS600V V-Twin OHV 603cc 18.5hpV-twin 18.5-hp (13.8-kW)
Engine TypeOHV (Overhead Valve)OHV (Overhead Valve)OHV (Overhead Valve)OHV (Overhead Valve)
Engine Displacement726 cc726 cc603 cc603 cc