John Deere X300 Select Series

John Deere X300 Select Series

X370, X380, X384, X390, X394 and 8 more

See the Best Ride-On Mowers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

pretty good machine

well all other reviews here are from amateurs I have done 750 hours with mine and apart from blades the odd belt and services every 100 hours it's still performing perfect, I still haven't put new spark plugs in it they are still sitting on the bench.
I mow about 8 acres with it all rough and rocky in the wet season the mission grass is about 6 foot high but it still cuts through it at just over idle no problems I also tow a 44 inch tow behind mower with it and cut 88 inches, no problems with the transmission.
If you want the deck to stay good don't rev it high that just smashes it in rocky conditions.
Hard to beat a john deere

Purchased in June 2012 at vanderfield for $8,000.00.

Excellent mower

I have had this mower for a few years now and have just clocked up 250 hours. It is the fourth ride-on I have owned and easily the best.
I use it for mowing a fairly rough two acre block and apart from routine servicing have not had to spend anything on it. Servicing is quite easy for the home owner and easier than other makes I have owned.
I have read some other reviews on here where people have had transmission issues. Unfortunately some people buy a ride-on mower and expect it to do the work of a bulldozer or agricultural tractor. Use it for what it is designed for and you won't have any issues.

Purchased in March 2013 for $5,000.00.

love it!!!!

bought this 2018 mower when it was 12 months old with 47 hours on the clock. Beaut to use and comfortable, one of the best seats I have ever experienced. Heaps of power with Kawasaki twin engine. Also very impressed with the strength of the deck, some decks appear flimsy. These select series are a long way ahead in build quality than other John Deere mowers. LOVE IT!! Also, the hydraulic deck is fabulous.

Purchased in January 2019 for $4,000.00.

Great Mower. Expensive to send to Dealer to maintain so doing it myself

Great ride, we have 2 acres and mows really well. 3.5 hours per week more often in the spring.
I would certainly buy another if I need too but this one has 400hrs and still going well. Recommend to who ever wants one. Just as said the maintenance bill is excessive, learn to do it yourself including blade sharpening or replacing

Date PurchasedAug 2009

Very impressed with the X350

We recently upgraded from a 6 year old Greenfield to a John Deere X350. Only wish we'd done it sooner! This machine is quiet, starts instantly, cuts beautifully and the turning circle is brilliant. We were considering a Cub Cadet but after test driving one it was clear the John Deere is a better built and more comfortable mower. It is perfect for our 10 acres with lawns, paddocks and raceways.

Date PurchasedOct 2018

Front tire will not hold air

Good product, very heavy duty, but one of the front tires will not hold air. I took the wheel of and my dealer re-mounted it and it worked for a while. They say this is not a warranty situation, but it came out of the box like that. My 20 year old LX178 lasted 18 years before it had the same problem. My made in China replacement wheels are still working fine after two years. If I have to put China's finest on my new made in America John Deere, it will be a sad day.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Good thing it is no longer available

This is a good mower but very expensive to maintain. For the price of all the maintenance I could have purchased another mower from a Lowes or Home Depot. I live on a hill. This transmission is not one for hills. That was only $1300.00. The belt for the deck is expensive. Replaced 4 times @ $130 each time. I will not buy another John deere mower.

Date PurchasedMar 2009

Works well but rattles from steering coloum and petrol cap not good enough for high end lawn mower

Cuts well but heavy on fuel consumption to my old 300x good to have fuel gauge And bigger tires and mulch deck fitted but hard to clean and gets clogs up sometimes plenty of power to old one put on seat cover but slides all over the place can't tighting

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Worst mower I have ever had!

I mow once a week. I never mow a wet yard and yet even with brand new blades my grass seems to continually clump up. My shoot cover is up. I have 200 hours and I have gone through 5 belts because every time you back up it disengages the blades.

Date PurchasedMay 2012

Seat Material

After 200 hours of using it for lawn cutting the seat material is flaking off. It was never left outdoors always kept in a temperature and humidity controlled space. I cannot believe such cheap material was put on a John Deere. Also, there is no gas gauge. I have to get off the tractor and try to find the gas level in the tank? Ridiculous cost saving by salesmen and bean counters not someone who ever uses a tractor. After having John Deere equipment for most of my life, I will never buy another.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Good Mower almost 5 stars.

We did have a cox countryman 28", so we have had the x300 John Deere 42" for 8 years and the mowing takes an hour and a half, instead of 4 hours with the Cox.
No trouble with the transmission as yet like others, but I do not use it for anything except mowing and only flat ground. has done approx.160 hours
Best thing since sliced bread, cuts even, just need to fine tune the mower-deck level, which is easy if you have any mechanical know-how.
We buy the service kits available at the dealer, and it has all parts required, except for tools and grease gun. You only need basic tools and you will find the owner's manual that comes with the machine is really easy to follow, and there are a number of excellent you-tube videos available online.
The v-twin Kawasaki motor is s a gem and has heaps of torque and about 18-19 HP.
Both the wife and I find it great to use and it always starts easily.
original battery lasted about 30 months, and the next non genuine one is now nearly 6 years old, the seat of course is the usual 2 to 21/2 years before it split, even when stored under cover always, but I guess that John Deere have to have a use for the seat covers that they sell in their dealerships, yep there are dozens and dozens there for sale. Shame really

Date PurchasedNov 2009

Good unit

I had a John Deere STX38 for 21 years and it was brilliant so I couldn't go past another JD, it's still going just getting a bit tired. Not sure what the LA series units are like but I decided to go with the JD X350 as it is a commercial grade unit with a Kawasaki engine, 4 year, 300 hour warranty. So far very happy, going off the old STX38 on to the new unit is like getting out of a Mimi Minnor into a Roller. Cut my mowing time down too.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Good, sturdy ride!

I inherited my 2012 X300 after my father-in-law passed away. He was an engineer and did his homework. I previously had a Snapper riding mower that was still going strong when I sold it after 20 years or so. The x300 is much bigger and heavier than any other mower I have used. It was relatively complex for me, but overall has been been solid and reasonably easy to maintain. My son uses it for his neighborhood lawn jobs. It's really too big for my lawn but it maneuvers well enough. I have read about x300 transmission problems, but haven't had any. I suspect that the transmission problems others have reported could be due to accidentally running the machine in "hand-move mode" instead of running mode. There is a lever on the back that must be pulled or pushed to the correct mode or it would cause serious transmission problems. It would be easy to make a mistake.

Date PurchasedMay 2012

Good but...!

I've one about 75 hours on the mower since new. It has started first up every time and motor runs well. My only issue is with the unevenness of the cut. Perhaps the deck is out of alignment and I'll have it checked out. Also it seems the mower is not that great at cutting behind the wheel marks leaving that grass longer than elsewhere in the cut.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

it's the lowest cost ride on worth having

We bought new.
Don't be fooled by the hype it's the lowest cost ride on worth having and as such is just a good mower. We have 5 mowers. 2 finishing, 1 steep 4WD/paddock and 1 generalist - the JD is the 'generalist'.

Read for the BUT. This is the best low cost JD mower if it has a Kawasaki engine. Assuming it does - now the BUT bit.

1) from receipt on site ensure deck is levelled as per book and belts are correctly tensioned (I made the delivery guy do tis in front of me per the handbook - I read it out as he did it) wasn't happy but proved all was correct on delivery.
2) ensure all grease points are greased and they show where they are and you grease them with your gun in front of the delivery 'guy'
3) your not stupid mechanically - if you aren't semi mechanical don't buy this mower
4) the area you intend to mow is relatively level and has lawn/grass less than 100mm long and not soaking wet at time of mowing. Anything more length or type of grass and you won't get a good cut and the mower gives a 'crap job' speed and cut wise
5) if towing loads (and I have towed in 'bit size chunks' in excess of 100 tons of soil, wood, steel) do it reasonable 'bite size chunks' guessing max 100kg/load assuming level to reasonable gradient up hill. Down hill I just load until I think the trailer arm will bend guessing 180kg.
6) good fuel and clean the air cleaner 2X what the service book says - our property is very dusty in summer.
7) at 100 hrs get the whole sha bang checked over i.e. belts, deck level, sharpen blades and what the manufacture recommends.

It's not a quick mower/mover but we have found it to be utterly reliable and fit for purpose IF your 'block' is circa 1 -2 hours mowing time, relatively level and your cutting lawn/grass less than 100mm vs grass/paddock.. Useless in the paddock whatever the cover.

After 100hrs + no parts except for oil filters.

Date PurchasedAug 2015

2 burned up transmissions!! junk!

I bought an x300 thinking I was buying a quality product. I was wrong! Junk! With 60 hrs my tranny started to go. I could only mow for 20 minutes and the tranny wouldnt move the mower. So I bought a new tranny from JD dealer. That one went too. Ill never buy a JD again. Their customer service said they admitted their engineers put to small of a tranny in this tractor. Of course nothing they could do for me. JUNK JD JUNK!

Date PurchasedApr 2005

Awful Awful

Purchased this mower for 2,200.00 I have only put 30 hours on it and it had 32 when I bought it. The transmisson went out already. Can you believe it I called dealer and told them the guys name was [name removed] he offered no help at all.ripoff.sickening you would think they would offer me some type of help.

Date PurchasedJul 2012

X 350 mower

i just bought a john deere x350 and had a john deere la105 oh my goodness its like apples and oranges. used to take me 1 1/2 hours first time on the x350 35 minutes and that included a rinse! what a machine outstanding! it has the mulching kit and it is well worth the money with out question can't believe it is all mine! thank you for a great product!
NOTHING RUNS LIKE A DEERE

Date PurchasedApr 2017

dont buy a John Deere,very unreliable

Bought my x300 new,it has already been back to dealer twice with the same problem. The mower belt has been failing around every 50hrs. Dealer says caused from a stick getting caught,but not the case. Bit of a joke really.This time was at my cost. Nearly $800 later because of other damage when last belt broke.For $6000 not the best cut either won't buy another JD. As for JD warranty and back up/customer service, almost no existence after they have your money and it leaves the shop. Will be trading in asap

lossey mower belts

our mower keeps taking out the mower belts on our X300, would not recommend this machine to anyone
it is a poor machine , what else is going to go wrong with it, our LA 135 is a lot better machine than the X300
it out preforms better than the X300

Is the x300r old stock?
Hi, I own an X350. The 300 series are still available but have no idea on an X300. X350 brilliant, better that the Toro, Husky,Rover we have owned before. Might give a dealer like Vanderfields a call, brilliant dealers and also great for information. Regards Peter aka THe Bear

Should I consider buying a x300r with 1209 hours on the clock?
Gidday, I cannot answer this question, thats a lot of hours but if it has been regularly serviced and in good condition, price is right then go ahead. Have to find out the age of the machine, this model has great reviews. Regards Peter aka THe Bear

What is the cost to replace a ground drive belt on x300 jd mower?
Gidday Doris and Ray. Sorry unable to help with this one, our mower is an X350 and is just about new, so no parts etc yet. Suggest you ring a dealer, our dealer is Vanderfields at Gympie and they are superb with their service and knowledge. Hope this helps. Peter aka THe Bear

John Deere X394John Deere X390John Deere X384John Deere X380John Deere X370John Deere X350John Deere X300R (Rear-Discharge Hopper)John Deere X310John Deere X300John Deere X304John Deere X320John Deere X324John Deere X360
CategoryRide-On MowersRide-On MowersRide-On MowersRide-On MowersRide-On MowersRide-On MowersRide-On MowersRide-On MowersRide-On MowersRide-On MowersRide-On MowersRide-On MowersRide-On Mowers
Price (RRP) $11,999$10,549$9,999$9,399$7,499$5,999$7,886$7,511$5,632$7,135$8,074$9,013$9,479
Zero Turn NoNoNoNoNo
Power SourcePetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrolPetrol
FeaturesMulching Capability and Side DischargeSide DischargeSide DischargeSide DischargeSide DischargeSide DischargeSide Discharge
Catcher Type NoneNoneNoneNoneNoneNone
Cutting Deck MaterialSteelSteelSteelSteelSteelSteel
Cutting Width1,220 mm1,220 mm1,220 mm1,220 mm1,280 mm
Height of Cut250 mm to 1,000 mm250 mm to 1,000 mm250 mm to 1,000 mm250 mm to 1,000 mm250 mm to 1,000 mm
Number of Blades22221
Weight342 kg308 kg318 kg295 kg259 kg
Transmission TypeHydrostaticHydrostaticManualManualAutomatic
Horsepower22 hp22 hp22 hp22 hp18.5 hp
Max Speed10 km/hr10 km/hr9.5 km/hr10 km/hr9.3 km/hr8.9 km/hr
Reverse Speed5.6 km/hr5.6 km/hr5.6 km/hr5.6 km/hr5.6 km/hr6.4 km/hr
Dimensions 1200 x 1590 x 1880 mm1200 x 1590 x 1829 mm1200 x 1590 x 1829 mm1200 x 1590 x 1829 mm1200 x 1280 x 1829 mm
Manufacturer Warranty4 year(s)4 year(s)4 year(s)4 year(s)4 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)
Engine / Motor
Engine Displacement726 cc726 cc726 cc726 cc603 cc603 cc
Engine TypeOHV (Overhead Valve)OHV (Overhead Valve)OHV (Overhead Valve)OHV (Overhead Valve)OHV (Overhead Valve)
Engine NameFS651V OHV 726cc 22hpFS651V OHV 726cc 22hpFS651V 726cc 22hpFS651V V-Twin OHV 726 cc 22hpFS600V V-Twin OHV 603cc 18.5hpFS600V iTorque Power System 603cc 18.5hp
Release dateFeb 2009Feb 2009Feb 2009Feb 2009Feb 2009