Kawasaki KLX450R

Kawasaki KLX450R

great alrounder

this bike for the price is an awesome machine highly recommend it to anyone wanting something other than an expensive European bike great power great handling fast bought it From Mick Muldoon Motor Cycles In Bathurst with great service and fast bikes go hard on the green machine. came with hand guards

Date PurchasedFeb 2009

love this bike for to many reasons to list

i have the first 08 moldel klx450r.. its been a project bike of mine over the years.. ive enjoyed working on it and turning it into something very special.. such a shame kawaski wont update it so i just did it myself.. i trimmed all the fat of it and replaced the stock parts with better quility after market trick bits..

Date PurchasedJan 2009

Feels good but the little things

Hey im a yamaha rider and i have just purchased a 2010 klx450r bike is good seat hieght is a little higher then the wrf but overall is a awsome bike to ride i wud think the klx450r would need to get the 6 speed transmission its gpt loads of power but u hit top speed so quickly on a stright the little things on the bike are its downfalls the choke behind the frame the header pipe covering the oil filter and all the room at the front of the bike they could off added another 2liters of the tank in there to hold more fuel once these things change bike will be brillant
Frame lookstops and brkes and suspension work well
The little things need to be fixed

Thanks for the comments deciding at the moment on either a DR Z400e or the KLX450R.

Perfect Trail Weapon

I had the chance to take my mates KLX450 for a ride last year and I loved it. Ergonomically, very similar to a CRF450X (which I have only really sat on).

The power delivery was sweet, to be honest, the initial throttle responce is probably about the same as my DRZ400, but the midrange is where is excels. The top signs off I felt earlier than the DRZ, but in the short ride I had I found it as smooth as the DRZ.

I admit, I felt very comfortable on the KLX (I had a 2001 KDX200R at the time), and by contrast it took me ages to get comfortable on the DRZ. The seat height of the KLX is quite managable and I felt in contact with the ground as well as the DRZ if not better as it is a slimmer bike.

What I didn't like was the front end. The bike needs suspension work to feel like the front end will go where you want it to, and the lack of a 6 speed gearbox will be the one thing that will forever annoy me about Jap bikes.

I have heard nothing bad about the KLX450 in regards to reliability, and the valves rarely need to be adjusted (unlike the CRF). It is still towards the top of my shopping list, though when I sat on a 2011 KLX and WR 450 at the same shop a few weeks ago, the WR felt allot lighter...may have to ride one of those too (though the KLX was about a grand cheaper than the WR).

Still, if you shop around you can buy a new DRZ for $8000...is the KLX a $4000 better bike?? Unfortunately no. You could spend $1500 on the DRZ and probably make it faster than a KLX ($500 for a 440 big bore kit, and $600 for a pipe from the states).

Yes, the KLX will need money spent to win enduros, but so will all the other jap bikes (other than the RMX - not registerable in most states). But it is a great tail weapon and has around 10kg less pork than the DRZ.

Confused yet?? I own a DRZ now, and probably wouldn't sell it to buy a KLX, but if I decided to upgrade the DRZ (now 10 years old) a KLX would probably replace it. They are great value on the used market, and in my opinion, look better than the DRZ, are lighter than the DRZ, put out more power than the DRZ, and need bugger all more maintenance over a DRZ.

If you want a solid trailbike, ride the DRZ, KLX and WR. If you are a handy mechanic, throw in a CRF.

If you race, buy a Euro bike, if you ride the trails, buy Jap. My advice.
Looks, ergos, features, power delivery, price
Skatey front end, 5 speed box.

Drop your forks down 12 mm to help turn inn

Gearing?

Iv owned my klx 450 for about 3 months now just really starting to get comfy and getting the pace up . I find this to be a awesome bike i love it but im really finding the gearing to be a bit short first gear especially any ratio suggestions and is there a good pipe that clears the oil filter to save pulling the header pipe off
Its go anywhere capabilities and reliability
Gearing and header pipe its in the way for oil filter access and its not the best looking pipe getting round

I just got an e-mail from pro cicuit who said the kxf450 header pipe and exhaust fit the klx450r for 2012. Don't forget to get a new jetting kit, I hear jd kits are good. Maybe ask your local dealer to be sure.There are three things you must do to this beautifull machine 1 staintune full exhaust sytem , 2 a 48 tooth rear sprocket .3 jetting the carburettor,4 open up the top of the air box under seat , you not ride a better bike !!

Take it for a test ride.. if its been fixed properly it will be fine and yes buy it.. but first get a good motorbike mechanic to check it over proberly.Take it for a test ride.. if its been fixed properly it will be fine and yes buy it.. but first get a good motorbike mechanic to check it over properly.Take it for a test ride.. if its been fixed properly it will be fine and yes buy it.. but first get a good motorbike mechanic to check it over properly.

Hello guys, I'm thinking about a klx 450r for me, I do not see my skills like a beginner more just like a novice. In fact I'm a little bit scared of the first because is a 450 bike is very power to managed, but I was told that the klx is a kind of a soft 450 !! What do think about having one? 6ft 229lbs weight
The klx 450 is such a fun bike to ride.. just respect its power and and it will reward you with big smilesI found a klx 450r with a broken piston and owner of the bike put a new one, may I buy it or is better to do not ? He also put a new battery and she looks in good shape what do think ? Give me an advice ? 2008 klx 450r.

Im in the market for a new bike.Been on road bikes for the last 20years but want the get a road trail. Will be used in the bush and on the bituman. Any suggestions?
Drz400e. Reliability big think and their power isn't night and day to a 450. Heaps of options to motard them too.

KLX450R