Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic

See the Best Cruiser Bikes in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Nice mid level cruiser.

Had an 08 for two years. Great little run about, cheap to run, handles as well as one would expect from a cruiser, which is to say, adequately. Easily modified if you're handy with a spanner, I chopped mine up and turned it into a bobber, complete with a rusty Massey Ferguson tractor seat.

Only real issue is that the stator's are cheap and burn out around the 45k mark. Known issue, easily replaced.

Purchased in January 2009.

Noise Level
Fuel Efficiency
Gear Shifting
Handling
Suspension

Great cruiser very well weighted

I recently bought the 2018 Vulcan 900 classic. The styling of this bike is classic right down to the factory white wall tyres. Handling is fantastic easy to manoeuvre and lay around corners thanks to the great clearance these bikes have. ( I have scrapped a floorboard already ) Love everything about this bike the seat the bars the floorboards and forward controls are all a perfect for me being shorter than most. love getting out on this bike weather it’s crusing the highway flowing through bends in the hills. A fun comfortable all rounder

Date PurchasedOct 2018

the bike is a winner

the bike is built well,parts are very reasonable,also the bike handles well even with two up,is good on fuel and aftermarket parts are plenetable excellent cruiser a head turner,up grade the exhaust to give more power plenty of chrome to wash and polish.also is needed a belt drive or shaft.

Date PurchasedNov 1999

My 2nd 900 vulcan in ten years both been great bikes and no issues

I have owned 2 900 vulcan's the 1st was a 900 custom 2008 model 'i had this bike for 5 years and i swear i had no issues with it at all'i sold it after 5 years cause i got abit bored with it'3 months later i bought another 900 vulcan classic and now ive owned this bike for 3 years and once again no issues 'the only complaint i have is the seat on the classic gets quiet uncomfortable after about 2 hours of riding but otherwise im happy as 'fuel wise the bike is good im averaging about 350 kilometers to a tank unless i do over the 120 kilometers mark'i rode from brisbane to bunderberg and did not have to refuel til i got to just after Hervey bay 'in both bikes i have not once topped up the engine oil in between services'i was going to buy a honda fury but after riding one i changed my mind'the fury looks great but power wise there was not much between the vulcan and the fury so i stuck with the vulcan 'i definitely would consider buying another vulcan there reliability is 2nd to none

Date PurchasedJun 2014

EXCELLENT CRUISER

I bought my 2011/12 model privately in January 2015. I've enjoyed riding it as it is the most comfortable cruiser I've owned, a lot has to do with the aftermarket "King & Queen" seat. The low seat height, wide, comfortable bars, forward mounted foot controls with the floorboards all help to make it a very easy bike to ride. The bike is heavy compared to my 2 previous bikes (BMWR1150RT, Hyosung GT650S) but because of the low centre of gravity it feels a lot lighter & is very easy to maneuver at low speed. On the open road or freeway I find it's most comfortable around the 80-90kph mark, over that it starts to sound very busy & a buzz comes through the bars. I'm hoping to rectify that by fitting a 2-tooth larger front pulley ("sprocket"); this has been recommended on a number of sites. The bike has been totally reliable & I would recommend it to anyone looking for a mid-sized cruiser. I did own a Suzuki M50 Boulevard for several years & I find the Vulcan to be a superior bike in many areas.

OK

For a first time rider it may be just ok. Do not reccomend for a veteran rider who wants to have open road high speed crusing. Vibration over 70 mph is terrible and quite uncomfortable for long rides.
This reveiw is for the 2008 vulcan classic. The overall look of the bike is very good. I have put about 1000 miles on the bike have not had a mechanical problem. It sounds good at low rpms.
I have found that after riding for about an hour the seat becomes quite uncomfortable to say the least. I have also found that above 60 mph it feels like a cheap moped that is being over reved. Also found that it`s top comfortable speed for cruising is the same. also disapointed in its lack of horse power

Great upgrade after 250 learner cruiser

Found the vn900 classic to have more than enough torque in all situations. No issue with vibration at and beyond highway speeds. Good economy with 27km/ltr so far. Big bike feel (and weight) but low seat height makes manageable at low speeds. Looks good with the single rear shock and the rear disk brake works better than the drums on most mid range cruisers. Sounds good, quiet at tick over but grunty during acceleration. Reasonably good quality feel and build, better than Suzuki and far cheaper than Yamaha. Additions of time clock and fuel gauge a great help. Have not found the need for a 6th gear unlike on my 250. Bought a 2009 with 5000km at a good price and still feels like a new bike. A bit heavy for city commute but once heading along the undulating coastal highway nothing better.
Sound, Torque, Looks, It's not a Harley (but better)
Tracks quite badly on surface ruts in road.

I agree with you there this bike doesnt like corners any corners

I am a 60 year old guy and planning to buy my first bike. Have a church friend who is retiring for health reasons and is selling his Vulcan900 2006 with 13,000 miles. Any direction or help would be most welcome. Thank you
Only heard good things about the vn 900 I’ve owned mine from new and still enjoying itThank you.

Best tyre pressure for vn900?
36psi front and rear36psi front and rearThank you both for a very assuring answer. Will do. LEN.

Am interested to purchase a second hand 2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 900b Classic from a very reputable dealer, for 6000.-AUD here in Australia. Are there specific weakness or faults to look for in that Motorbike/Cruiser?
Go for it, it's a great bike. Of the numerous bikes I've owned my Vulcan 900 Classic is by far the best. It's only a 5-speeder so I lifted the gearing by fitting a 2-tooth bigger front pulley & that's made a world of difference at freeway speeds. The standard seat is a bit uncomfortable on longer rides so an aftermarket one is a good bet too.Thank you, very helpful answer.Just a further thought - the price is on the high side but if the bike is in great condition, with low kms & full service history it could be worth it but I'd still negotiate on price.

CategoryCruiser Bikes