Works so well - until the lid breaks

This was a great little appliance - I did not use it often as I don't do much cooking, maybe only 8 times over the year since i bought it. Tonight I was putting my soft plastic recycle bags in the cupboard, and knocked the lid on the chopper with my hand, to find it has fallen to pieces. The plastic has sheared off the little screws - all 3 screws have had the plastic break away so there's now nothing to secure the lid. I'm so disappointed. Of course it's 2 months out of warranty. :(

I looked up the price to buy a new lid - $70, plus postage - the whole appliance cost me $119, and I can see them now for sale at $114!

I have several other Kitchenaid appliances (food processor, mixer, coffee grinder), that are all MUCH better quality than this thing. They actually feel like they are built to last. This was a bad buy, and there is no way I'm going to fork out $70 for a lid that is probably going to break again at some point.

Purchased in January 2018 at David Jones Online Store for $119.00.

Noise Level
Product is used: Rarely
Used for: Ground Nuts / Nut Butters
An update - it turns out the product has a 2 YEAR warranty, not 1 YEAR. So I contacted KitchenAid and they responded with an hour, telling me a new lid is in the post - excellent customer service - I'm really relieved, and pleasantly surprised at the length of the warranty.Hi there, We are happy to hear our Customer Team were able to assist you. Thanks, The KitchenAid Team

Great customer service after issues with broken chopper.

Received this as a flybuys reward. Never had kitchen aid product before, so looked forward to what I thought would be a high end product given the reputation of the brand. Very difficult to separate lid from base as there is nothing to get a grip on, no handle. Had to hold it against myself and twist carefully to ensure food does not fly out as it opens. Very awkward design. Used it only a few times, happy with it in general but then lid came apart with normal use, screws and fastenings came loose, unable to use as lid in pieces and even trying to put it back together the pulse button would no longer depress to work the motor and screws kept falling out. Contacted KitchenAid on advice from Flybuys.
Sent details as requested and as this model no longer available ,I assume, I was sent a new chopper with a handle and a speed lever instead of 1,2 pulse button, must be new model. All washed and ready to go. Have high hopes for it lasting longer than the first!
All this happened within a week, great service KitchenAid , very impressed with the swift resolution. And to think I was just going to throw it out as I wasn't sure I would get anywhere with it being a Flybuys reward and not specifically a purchase.

Purchased in May 2018 at Flybuys reward .

Product is used: Weekly
Used for: Dips & Condiments

Disappointed

I bought this to use in our caravan (doesn’t take up space) However I dropped the lid on the vinyl floor of the van and all the screws sheared off from the lid. When my husband tried to fix it he said there was bits off everywhere.. I would have used it 4 times so very disappointing given the cost of the product

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Hi Kym, Sorry to hear about your recent incident. To order a replacement lid, please email our customer service team on enquiries@kitchenaid.com.au or alternatively call 1800 990 990 and our team will be able to assist. Thanks, The KitchenAid Team

This is the best company I have ever dealt with. They replaced my unit after 2 years without questi

I bought this product 2 years ago on line and a small spring broke l tried the local shop in Colac and they told me to ring the company in Sydney and they are great to deal with. I thought rubbish, but I randomly them and could not have been more surprised. They replaced the food processor ever though it was just out of warranty. Thanks Kitchen Aid.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Lid failure

After regular (twice weekly) use for about 15 months, the top section of the lid came away entirely from the rest of the lid. This is critical as it is this part which controls the motor. I tried taping it back on top but this only worked for a week. Now the switches at the top are completely dysfunctional. It was a great little processor until this happened. Being a Kitchenaid, the processor promised to be an appliance which lasted for years, with good care. That is now useless is extremely disappointing and frustrating. Fast fwd to June 2018: Good Guys replaced this one with new only about 6 months ago. It too has failed, in exactly the same way. Lid has come apart and cannot be refixed. I am giving up on this product as it has an inherent design fault!

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Poor quality

I was given the food processor as a gift in December 2016. In that time the lid has broken and been replaced as it was underneath warranty. Since then the lid has completely fallen apart again. I have emailed kitchen aid asking if I could purchase a new one. They said that as it is no longer under warranty they cannot send out a new lid and I am unable to purchase the lid separately. I was offered a 10% discount to buy a whole new machine, which is beyond ridiculous. I’m fairly certain Myer or David jones would have a better sale on them. Not to mention the fact that the lid has broken twice in the space of 18 months, so I wouldn’t want to buy another as it is clearly poor quality. I am very disappointed with this outcome and would recommend researching other food processors before investing in a kitchen aid.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Can't separate bowl from base to clean

It's a very nifty little gadget which worked well on the two occasions I have used it; but several people have tried and can't separate the bowl from the base. This means that we are unable to clean it properly. We bought it last year in Mornington, Victoria and it is the only Kitchenmaid product - and I have been using them for a long time - that will have been a complete waste of money unless we are able to clean it.

Date PurchasedJun 2017
Hi Monty, please send your Food Chopper's serial number to enquiries@kitchenaid.com.au, alternatively you can call them on 1800 990 990. They will be able to help with warranty and replacements. Kind Regards, The KitchenAid Team

Can’t remove bowl from base

As per another review, I cannot remove the bowl from the base after following instructions. My husband has also tried and it does not budge. Don’t want to use too much force as product is plastic. Can’t speak about performance as have not used, was trying to wash bowl as per recommended.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
Hi Cheryl, Please send your Food Chopper's serial number to enquiries@kitchenaid.com.au, alternatively you can call 1800 990 990 (landline) or 0249026500 (mobile). Our Customer Service Team will be able to help you with warranty and repairs. Kind Regards, The KitchenAid Team

This is handy

Processing performance good for nuts and blitzing things up really quickly - i mostly use it for herbs and nuts but not much else which does its job - quite stylish on the kitchen bench and easy to assemble and clean every time. Attachments are standard and this is good handy little tool

Date PurchasedApr 2017
Hi Susannah, Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we always appreciate hearing feedback from customers. Make sure you are signed up to our e-newsletter to receive recipes, tips and offers, you can register here; www.kitchenaid.com.au/sign-up. Kind Regards, The KitchenAid Team

Second lid fail

I have owned two of these. The lid fell on the floor and broke - my fault. So I organised another one. My wife was drying the lid this morning and it fell apart in her hands. The attachment pegs are very poor quality.
When it was working it was excellent and I used it several times a week.
I will have to look for another brand now I think.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Fantastic little chopper

I just purchased this little Gem. First thing I made was Bruschetta and it was so easy to do. The motor works fabulous there is only 2 levels to use so very easy to use. It is very easy to clean (same as a NutriBullet) I love it that much I just ordered my Mum one!

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Looking at getting one. One star at the moment

I saw it was being used on a cooking show. It was used for salsas. If I were only able to do salsa I would be a bit miffed. As it only holds 31/2 cups it would be good size for doing the small jobs. I watched the video just to see what it could do. As for raw vegetables, I noted that the carrots were diced, or chopped into smaller sizes. I do that for all my blade machines. It seemed common sense to me that one it is quicker and 2 and more important to me, less strain on the motor. I think for baby food it is a good size. Food done in small batches more healthy for baby.
Bit worried about effort of pulling machine apart for cleaning. For a Kitchen Aid that sprooks it is solid and has grunt for years of use in its machines. I think it would be fair enough to replace a small item. All swaps of Kitchen Aid should before sending the replacement takes the machine apart and then put it together and run and see if it is working OK. Take it apart again for ease of dismantling. Lid fitting etc. I think that is only fair.
I have a Kitchen Aid mixer with a few attachments that would be useful for me. I find it a great machine and easy to use the attachments are great at what they do. So I can see that the Kitchen Aid at 3 1/2cups would be fine.
So I better see if I can get it at good price. I do not work or know anyone at Kitchen Aid and I speak as I find.
Martha May

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Works for baby food, but fairly small.

This little machine works for small tasks, such as pureeing baby food, but its bowl is too small for anything else. It is very powerful & has two modes (chop and puree). As others commented, the lid is loose and must be held during the entire process. This is not a big deal, since the power button is literally located on top of the lid.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016
Hello, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. If you are having problems with your lid, please email your Food Chopper's serial number to enquiries@kitchenaid.com.au and they will be able to help you. Kind Regards, The KitchenAid Team

How do you seperate the bowl from the machine base?

We purchased our 5KFC3511AER, S/N WH71076653 today from Myer Chadstone. We cannot get the bowl to seperate from the base. The manual says to hold the bowl at the "handle" in one hand and the "Base" in your other hand, and twist the bowl clockwise. It won't budge even a millimetre. There appears to be locking tabs between each pair of blocks on the bowl skirt that could be preventing the bowl from twisting. I don't want to force the situation and break something. Am I missing something?
Billie Stephan.

Date PurchasedSep 2017
Hi Billie, the bowl should twist out easily, please contact our Customer Service Team for some help on this one. You can reach them on 1800 990 990 or enquiries@kitchenaid.com.au, please have your Food Chopper's serial number handy, this is the code beginning W on the sticker on the base. Kind Regards, The KitchenAid Team

Great little food processor

I basically wanted something that made pesto but without the bulk of a food processor. I came across the food chopper and thought I'd try it and for $139, it was cheaper than a lot of the bigger food processors.

Anyway, it does a great job with pesto, but apart from that, I now use it for everything, and my husband laughs at how often I use it! It is great for chopping carrots, onions and zucchini. I use it for small cakes, and for making pastry in. It is also great for making curry pastes in. It also makes short work of crushing nuts.

It is also really easy to wash - not too many nooks and crannies. And it is small enough to just keep on the bench.

Date PurchasedAug 2016
Hi Jenny, Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we always appreciate customer;s taking the time to write a review and giving feedback on their experience with a product. Make sure you are signed up to our e-newsletter to receive great recipes, tips and offers; https://kitchenaid.com.au/culinary-inspiration/join-kitchenaid-newsletter. Kind Regards, The KitchenAid Team

Snaped lid

Looks like it is very common that the lid snaps while using. All I was doing when my lid broke was chopping COOKED veggies for my grandson, so it's not real robust. But then I received this and the KitchenAid mixer as a Christmas gift from my family, and I have had to replace the beater in the mixer 2.
So their quality assurance is crap or they are making them cheap and nasty but still charging a lot of money for their products.
So at this time I would not recommend KitchenAid to anyone.

Date PurchasedDec 2015
Hi Robyn, Please contact our Customer Service Team on enquiries@kitchenaid.com.au alternatively you can call on 1800 990 990 (if calling from a landline) or 0249026500 (if calling from a mobile). They will be able to help you with warranty and replacements. Kind Regards, The KitchenAid Team

Nice easy to use chopper, poor quality appliance

I agree with the previous comment. It was great when it worked. I would have used mine only a dozen times and on reasonably light duty chopping and it did a great job until I smelt a horrible burning smell and noticed smoke coming from the machine. So I'm guessing there is no safety cut off built in. It still worked a few more times after that although I was very hesitant using it. It finally got binned after it could not be taken apart to wash. I would have expected a lot more from a kitchen aid appliance. I would not buy again or recommend this product.

Date PurchasedDec 2014
Hi Julie, If it is not too late, please find the serial number of the Food Chopper, this is the code beginning with W on the sticker on the base. Please send this along with your phone number and preferred contact hours to enquiries@kitchenaid.com.au who will help you with warranty. Kind Regards, The KitchenAid Team.I did contact kitchen aid prior to throwing it out but as it had just past the two years warranty they were unable to help any further. I no longer have it to check the serial number but probably still have the receipt somewhere. Cheers Julie

Great chopper - while it works

The processing performance was excellent, it looked great and fit easily on the bench. I have to agree with other reviewers - it is not robust. The parts on the lid snapped one day as I was processing - the parts that hold the lid and button you push for processing together. It just failed one day, and that was that. Pity, as when it works it's great.

Date PurchasedJan 2015
Hello, this is disappointing to hear, we would appreciate it if you contacted our Customer Service Team to help you with this. You can reach them at enquiries@kitchenaid.com.au alternatively you can call at 1800 990 990 or 02 4902 6500. Kind Regards, The KitchenAid Team

Disappointing.

I was quite pleased with this initially, but have very much fallen out of love with it:
Pros:
It's very compact.
Looks very smart (I have the red version).

Cons:
If you are chopping anything that's a bit firm - e.g. galangal, carrots - it doesn't have the speed or strength to do more than chop halfway through a 1cm cube before getting it stuck on the blade (and if I have to chop smaller than that before I give it to the blender it's hardly worth bothering to get the thing out.). You then have to take it apart and forage around in the bowl to prise the offending vegetable off the (sharp) blade.

Tends to plaster small amounts around the bowl, requiring regular scraping; even with larger amounts you often find that the blades are just whirring around and missing the food completely.

If you are chopping anything that has a liquid component, it will spray it from the lid quite dramatically.

The plastic bit on the lid which you press to operate broke and fell off. It's been glued back into place but this is only a temporary solution.

It's fiddly to clean - food can get under the aforementioned plastic bit, where it cannot be easily removed.

As I say... disappointing. Considering Kitchenaid charge quite a premium, I was expecting something better.

Date PurchasedOct 2015

Love everything kitchenaid

Very happy with this item, it's nice and lightweight, compact and easy to use and store.

Also very easy to dismantle components for washing purposes and can be washed in the dishwasher which is a bonus! Great for making individual frozen fruit yoghurt, chopping herbs, salad dressings, mayo or baby food.

Love that it comes in several colour choices.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

I have just bought The Breville Kitchen Aid 5KFC3511 and have not even used it yet. I cant separate the bowl from the base and now I cant get the lid back on. It is very awkward. I will take it back to Harvey Norman where I bought it to get a demonstration but if I am not happy I will ask them to take it back and get a refund. Any help?
Hello Armida, I also found that the base and lid are tightly fitted together at first. It does get easier the more you times you separate them. Pick up the whole machine, hold it very firmly against your chest, so that the brand name is against your chest, grasp the handhold on the bowl with your free hand and then twist the bowl to the right. It should unlock. Do this a few times and it should loosen. As for the lid, put the machine on a flat surface, again with the front of the machine facing you, place the lid loosely on the bowl. You should feel the edges slot together, then twist slightly to the left and you should hear and feel it lock into place. I know - it should not be this difficult!

I bought my mini processor about 18 months ago it has sat in my cupboard for 7 months the lid fell apart I’m reluctant to get a replacement as there seems to be a problem with this model it didn’t last long! Are these lids still available? I have 2 other kitchen aid appliances which I love

Hi, my wife is interested in buying this machine can you tell me if all the issues have been resolved please. Daryl
Not really, it's still flimsy in Kitchenaid standards, but it's not a top-end product (and doesn't cost like one too). I got it when it was on a very good sale, so it was just under $100 if I remember correctly. I probably wouldn't pay more. If you want this because you have other Kitchenaid products, then think again and perhaps go for something more expensive.I decided not to buy one. The following reasons Pros. small 31/2 cups. Bonza. Good for baby food. Pesto, chopping up carrots and such likes. little things. Cons. I noticed that the veggies were put in already cut/diced finer. I decided what is the use, So cook the carrots etc and then put into the blender. Not able to do ice. Machine power is not great. So beating frozen fruit like banana to make a little icecream for baby is pointless. would strain the motor. It has only the chopping blade. Nothing to grate a small amount of cheese, or raw potato or even carrots. Summary. Now that is all fine but to pay prices ranging from over $156 down to 109. Just to mush food is not on my site want or need list. I don't care about the colour. it was just a nice size to do little jobs instead of getting the big number out. I have a blender stick that also has little blending abilities. So I will stay with that. The cheese amount I would need I can use the hand grater. I wouldn't give it 1 star as it doesn't fit my requirements. MTI have really enjoyed having it - the capacity is slightly too small for for blending soup, but it also does a great job for fine chopping for things like curry pastes, pesto and mixing butter and flour to the breadcrumb state for pastry. It struggles a bit with with large lumps of cheese, but makes quick work of garlic and onions and grating carrot. I haven't experienced any issues with the design, and I use it most days.

5KFC3511AAC (Almond Cream)5KFC3511AER (Empire Red)5KFC3511AOB (Onyx Black)5KFC3511ACU (Contour Silver)
Price (RRP) $149$149$149$149