3Macpac Apollo

steveGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC2 posts

Monika B.
Monika B.3 posts

Great for car camping!

I bought this tent for my sons over 15 years ago primarily for car camping on the coast. It's too heavy for hiking. It's been a wonderful tent - lots of good ventilation and internal pockets, easy to set up, and very good in showery rain on the coast (which is where we tended to use it). It's now coming to the end of its life, with the seam seal wearing away, but would recommend it for use in a similar situations.
Patrick R.
Patrick R.South-Eastern Region, NSW2 posts

Leaky floor on the Polaris ( bigger version of the Apollo)

I do not own the Apollo however I own the Polaris which is simply the larger version of the Apollo, all made out of the same materials. I bought a new Macpac Polaris tent in December 2019. Used it for a couple of weeks in fair weather and found it to be a fine tent. But then there were 3 days of rain. During which the floor became progressively more saturated until there were pools of water and all my stuff was soaked. As far as I can tell most of the water was getting in through the seams but also the floor material itself was waterlogged. By the way I posted a review to this affect on the Macpac website they didn’t put it up which makes me think that the rest of their reviews are also selective or possibly fraudulent. Show details
lgw
lgw

Love this tent

We sold our enormous 3 room tent after finding the putting up/down too annoying. We have had Macpac Apollos for many years and love them, so settled on the Wanaka as a family tent (for 2 adults, 2 older kids). It is easy to put up/down, has a decent amount of room for 4 people and their bags. We use this as our car camping tent (including overseas/plane travel for car camping). It is about 11.5kg and is therefore too heavy for hiking (we use 2 Apollos for this), but fine for car camping and doesn't take up too much space at home.

precisiontool
precisiontoolMELBOURNE

ultraman69
ultraman69
BegsSydney3 posts

Gerardw86
Gerardw86Metropolitan Adelaide, SA2 posts

One of the best tents made by Macpac, easy to setup and good value for money.

Have used many tents and this is free standing model is one of the best around.
Value for money, easy of setup, double entry.
Floor of tent doesnt seem as tough as some other models.

joonie99
joonie99

Good

This is a great tent for a couple moving about the place. Not great if want to carry it due to the weight but in saying that - Serves its purpose very well!
Loads of room for 2 - large vestibules for cooking/storage. Inside mesh packets - double layer for insects/ventilation. Great tent!!
Bit heavy for cycle touring but not so bad if sharing the load and allows penty of space for the "rained in" days
Anonym
Anonym

I used my first Apollo for five trips around Australia, using it in all conditions except Alpine. It was terrific - Nullarbor limestone, Pilbara rock, mud, sand etc. I have now replaced it with another Apollo, which is just as good, but maybe with a few improvements. I do replace the original equipment pegs with triangle flange pegs for better performance in stony ground.
Easy and very fast to pitch, even for one person. In high wind, you can peg corners and then insert poles. Good ventilation in muggy tropical weather with the fly off. Cosy in cold windy weather.
Door zips became worn after thousands of uses and needed to be closed slowly and often repeatedly to get sealed. Even so, I replaced tent with another Apollo after 5 years.
krispin
krispinSouth East Queensland, QLD2 posts

benbphoto
benbphotoSouth East Queensland, QLD2 posts

Good

Was given to me as a present, was later stolen/lost and then I replaced it with same model which had some more improvements made. Great value tent and easy to use.
Roomy and is free standing. You could use two pegs only if wanted (to stop it blowing away). Tent floor is nice and strong. Good storage area in vestibules.
Gets a bit of condensation build up at times (two people in tent). Do not like how far I have to reach from the inside of the tent to the zip on the fly.
firey03
firey03

this is an excellent lightweight tent. I have used it regularly for 12 years in all conditions hot, cold, wet and windy.
easy to erect and waterproof
the pole sleeves are starting to tear
jen181171
jen181171

I've had my tent for 8 years and it's still going strong. 3 of those years it was used almost everyday for adventure programmes with school kids. It's been in wet downpours, rocky conditions, spikey bushes etc.
Easy to put up, lightweight, has fly out both doors for backpacks, excellent in wet conditions