3Macpac Microlight

Darryl W.
Darryl W.

MalG
MalG2 posts

Great trekking tent - especially for lighter person

i have used this over past 3 years on the West Highland way, Lake district, Australia & Tasmania. pole and 4 pegs secures it and takes about 2-3 minutes to erect, in rain and wind dries quickly and you can carry it wet - just keep the carry bag dry in a pocket. Ideal for the smaller person up to 5ft 7in (170cm). I don't carry more than 12kg including mat, sleeping bag,pillow and 3 changes of clothes (ultralight) so its 1.5kg wt is perfect for hiking or biking. I used to own a Saunders Jetpacker but its pole system always slowed down putting it up - bought this on a special reduced to 180 Pounds UK - good to keep an eye out for deals ...buy in off season.

iandekamCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC3 posts

Excellent user friendly and secure tent

I have used an old microlight for 10 years for solo walking and bike and car touring. It is quick to erect,simple to use and been secure in high winds and rain. I will use it in snow this year but would prefer more room to cook and change clothes. I am 177cm tall and 75 kg so it does suit my size. The fly collects condensation and will need to be carried wet if you don't have wind or time to dry it.

MIchael12 posts

bear74
bear746 posts

Good

I have used this tent on numerous hunting and backpacking trips and have been overall impressed with the quality of this tent. its a bit small but I'm 6' and 120kg so I usally need a 2 person min. I have found the tent does not ventilate enough in the more tropical parts of OZ but then there isnt much that does on those hot sticky nights! great tent!
lightweight, quality materials, excellent workmanship, excellent backup service and very comfortable in temperate regions.
doesn't allow enough ventilation on hot nights, small sleeping area
Denis_Evans
Denis_EvansAU3 posts

More a divvy bag with a gear annex

I'm 1.88m tall and weigh 81 Kgs. I find this tent is well constructed and pretty strong. I bought it for its light weight design. In field use its weight is 1.56Kgs. It also packs down to a small size. However it's more of a divvy bag with gear annex for me. It's near impossible for me to change gear inside the tent. The gear annex is quite good. I use the tent in the Australian Alps. I think this tent would be too warm for summer use in other areas of Australia. Visibility is also restricted. However if you want a gear-bivvy for alpine 3-4 season use this is good.
Light weight, small packing size, quality construction
Small area, ventilation in warm conditions, visibility

Canberragal

Hi there. I'm seriously considering the Macpac Microlight to use as a solo backpacker female. I want to use it in the snow in the Australian Alps (Snowy Mountains, NSW) overnight. My concern though is that I keep reading reviews that mention the inner sags and that this is a design problem people wish Macpac would address. I'm not sure if the more recent versions of this tent suffer from this problem. Can someone please give me some thoughts? It's a lot of $ if I get it wrong!

CategoryTents