Medela Calma

Medela Calma

Tara Barbarouses

Tara BarbarousesSydney, NSW

TERRIBLE - leaky, fast flow, no temp test

Purchased in October 2019 at Amazon for $55.00.

Breastfed Child Yes
Bottle LeakageYes

Stacy T.

Stacy T.Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Great product

I am surprised to see such a mixed review on this product. I introduced my newborn to this teat at 2 weeks old as I had been having trouble BF. She worked it out relatively quickly. She paused when she realised she had to work for the milk but then got on with it. She is less gassy and can take a break whilst feeding rather than chugging to keep up with the std teat flow. Only cons are: it comes in 3 parts Instead of 2 ( not a deal breaker) and is more expensive (especially when exclusive expressing for feeds).

Purchased in September 2019 at Baby Bunting for $23.00.

Bottle LeakageNo
Emily H.

Emily H.Sydney, NSW

A waste of $25

Wish I’d opened packet before purchasing - just looking at this contraption baffles me as to how this would work. Teat is un-nipple like with a huge whole at the end. Very long neat which barely fit into baby’s mouth. Did not work for us at all.

Medela A.Medela

Good product but after sales support lacking and no spare parts

Product is great when in use but a tad fiddly to clean(remove all pieces to clean)
Replacement teats cannot be purchased (child chewing on teat) and they expect you to spend another $30 per bottle instead of offering replacement teats. Not the sort of thing you want after spending $600 on bottles

Purchased in March 2018 for $30.00.

Breastfed Child No
Bottle LeakageNo

Renee C

Renee CGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

We love it and have been using for 12 months now.

When bubs was a newborn I had to supplement and thought this teat would be great to use. To get him used to the teat, I put my little finger in his mouth and started him sucking and then slipped the teat in. He very quickly got the idea that he had to suck to get milk.
Easy to clean and no issue putting together (one handed at times).

Purchased in January 2018 for $30.00.

Breastfed Child Yes
Bottle LeakageYes

Sam

SamGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Baby loves it and easy to sterilise

This bottle was recommended to use by our private hospital as it mimicks breast feeding. Once our baby got used to it she wouldn’t take any other brand bottle! The advantages are that the flow is slower so it stops her from drinking too fast, parts are easy to assemble and sterilise. Some of the reviews here say nothing comes out but you need to ensure you don’t screw the test parts on too tight.

Medela A.Medela

excellent love it so much

calma teats is the best my newborn bub love it so much even he is on formula he suck it pretty good and doesn't have any problem. from day 1 I introduce it to him … ddnt have any problem. I highly recommend this and some of my friends they use it too

Andrea17

Andrea17SYDNEY

Somewhat complicated, but effective

Our 2 week old baby took a few days to get used to the calma teat to drink expressed breast milk, but once he got the hang of it, it was great. A bit complicated to take apart for cleaning/sterilising and then put back together. Overall happy with the product.

Medela A.Medela

Good experience with three babies

I used the breastfeeding bottles and teats with my twins and found it easier to go from boob to bottle in their feds. Currently my newborn I’d 6 weeks old and it helped him a lot to transition to breastfeeding, when going through a period of breast refusal in the first week. Now he’s fully breastfeeding again and occasionally a bottle. I love the electric pump, and would recommend Medela in the future. No problems with leaks, just make sure the tears are on properly before starting the feed.

Baby loves it. No issues. READ CALMA INFO BEFORE GIVING BAD REVIEWS

CALMA SYSTEM IS FOR BREAST MILK ONLY (ITS NOT DESIGNED FOR FORMULA, READ CALMA INFO SHEET).
My baby loves it... It works fine and we had no issues so far. We started Calma from he was one week old using expressed milk only. I can't understand how some people find this product difficult to assemble, seriously are you people born with two left hands?!?
We are using Avent Natural bottles and teats if we sometimes need to top up with formula on the go and Madela Calma for expressed milk only. Baby loves them both and we have no issues switching from Avent Natural to Calma to Breast. Good luck.

Perfect for the spewy wind baby

My 6 week old drank her first bottle without throwing up because of this bottle! God send! Also, if you squeeze the bottle milk comes out so you can check the temp, and my little one didn’t take to it right away either. I had to squeeze it and when a bit of milk flowed out and hit her lips that was all she needed to latch right on! Only thing I don’t like is the lack of cover for when I want to take it out with us or keep it sterile for longer after cleaning, unless I haven’t done my research properly and there are covers for them.

Works great for our newborn

The bottle came with the freestyle breast pump and it’s the only one we use. We have been using it from 2 weeks old to cover one night feed.
Our son eats like someone will steal his meal so it’s great that it makes him work for it and the Calma reduces the air he swallows leading to less gas. Which is a big win, especially for night feeds.

Less gas and vomiting

Putting it together is a sick joke

Try testing this temp with a separate teat then having to attempt to assemble it for a feed for a very hungry newborn. It’s like a sick joke where I’m left breast feeding on my low supply staring in desperate longing at this bottle filler with milk ready to go and no capacity to assemble it with one hand while trying to attend to a very upset Bub. Love it when you have time to check temp and assemble it but in desperate need it’s crap.

Deserves 0 stars, useless product

This came with my medela swing pump. My baby could not get any milk out of it and was very frustrates/ unsettled as a result. It is also annoying to clean and assemble the different parts. This product should not be on the market, or offered with the pump at all.

SuzyQ

SuzyQSydney

Worked for one baby, not for the other

I can understand the range of reviews on this. These came with my swing pump and I could not use the for my first baby, he was hopeless. couldn't latch to anything except a tommee tippee. He found sucking very hard. My second baby just loves them. I find I have to burp him much less than with other bottles and he eats just the right amount without becoming over full and throwing up. So hit and miss. Buy one and try it. If it works, it will work great, if it doens't work, it will be hopeless. totally depends on the child.

Granny L.

Granny L.San Juan

Not a need to struggle so very much!!!

I am a grandmother who breastfed both daughters, and at three months old alternated and gave them breast milk using anatomically designed bottles with just minor issues. Later in life, while babysitting and trying to bottlefeed my granddaughter, I noticed these bottles’ design did not have anything logical that I could associate to a mother’s breast. It was pretty difficult-not to say impossible- to feed the baby. I am sorry, but there is no sense to have a baby struggling so much to be fed. It is like underestimating a baby’s intelligence to be capable of alternating to a different “nipple” while trying to introduce some sort of an engineering physical roadblock to get their food. It really sucked...it didn’t suck.

Bob

BobBrisbane

Glad I tried it before reading the reviews. Works great!

Eza redMaitland

Not long lasting

I purchased the medela electric pump (great product) and the calma bottles came in the pack. The bottles are slim line and easy to store. The teats however are a big disappointment. While the top three pieces act similar to a breast and make baby work for the milk, the teats themselves are poor quality and tear. The medela range has all sorts of replacement bits you can buy except the calma teats. You have to buy the whole complete bottle (4 pieces) so you end up with numerous bottles and one by one the teats go in the bin. For the price this product is not long lasting.

Failure for newborns

Calma teat/bottle came with Medela swing pump I purchased. Pump itself is wonderful, bottle not so much. I was excited as per marketing thought this would allow easy transition between breastfeeding and bottle, allowing my husband to partake in feeding and have some bonding with our first born, now 4weeks old. Firstly can't temperature check like typical bottles/tests. Teat is long and hard, with strawlike hollow opening and despite numerous attempts my newborn flat out would not take to it, and became extremely distressed in the process, with Baby and therefore myself ending up in tears. I may hold on to it and try when Bub is older but opinion is it's useless and impractical for newborns despite the claims.

Julie Yanan Z.

Julie Yanan Z.asked

My baby releases Calma before drinking the portion of milk that he has just drawn from the bottle. Is there any way I can solve this problem?

Hi Julie
Thank you for your email. The Calma is designed in a way that the baby is actually controlling the suction. You may need to speak with your maternal health nurse if this is a problem.
Kind regards
Pauline

CubanGenes

CubanGenesasked

My calma nipple leak at the junction between the yellow part and the bottle. How can I fix it?

Hi CubanGenes
There are a few situations in which the Calma may drip slightly.
If you “overtighten" the teat on the bottle, this may cause leakage, it should be firm but not too tight.
If you are holding the bottle upside down it is also possible that a few drops of milk may drip, this happens because the membrane inside the milk flow control system is flexible, not stiff.
Whether (minor) dripping occurs depends on the temperature and weight of the milk that presses against the membrane.
Dripping may also occur if your baby releases Calma before drinking the portion of milk that they have just drawn from the bottle.
I hope this helps,
Kind regards
Pauline

Trishia S

Trishia Sasked

My nipple is leaking when I turn it upside down and when my baby feeds from the nipple he gets an incredibly fast flow and sometimes chokes on it. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I'm wondering if I'm not putting it together correctly.

Eza red

Hi Trishia, I also find if baby drops the bottle or the bottle ends up upside down a small amount does leak out. It seems to get caught in the teat and not able to get back into the bottle. As for baby receiving fast flow, these nipples definitely helped us but in the end it just depends on how fast baby sucks.

Get an answer from our members and Medela representatives

CategoryBaby Bottles