Mitsubishi Pajero NX GLX Automatic

Mitsubishi Pajero NX GLX Automatic (2014-2019)

Mitsubishi Pajero In-Depth Review

ProductReview.com.au's selected consumer review.

Sorry customer it's up to our standards.

Further to myself adding to the existing list of complaints about poor service and rickety parts on this vehicle purchased new,I can also confirm like other customers have mentioned:-
1)The paint is in deed very poor quality and seems to scratch worryingly very easily,almost like I need to pay for a additional paint job by a third party.
2)Many parts like internal light covers seem to just fall off and this is with light driving on flat tarmac roads
3)Front seats click and move from side to side-Dangerous,very stressful.
4)Radio very fuzzy with poor reception
5)Service I have received has been by the looks of many others reviews including myself a growing trend of 'Its up to Mitsubishis standards' so we can't help you.
I'd avoid the stress of purchasing a vehicle that clearly has been allowed to drop to lemon Standards with corrupt and immoral behaviour to accompany it.

Purchased in January 2019 at Kings Cars for $50,000.00.

Year2,019
Comfort

Capable off road but a few issues

Before ever taking my 2017 Pajero GLX off road I noticed a few issues:

1. Drivers seat base moves noticeably when going around corners. Dealer says its normal.
2. Stock radio is terrible. Dealer says its normal. If you want to be able to make bluetooth phone calls and listen to music with some clarity you'll need to at least upgrade the crap stock speakers. When on the phone to someone they always complained they couldn’t understand me with all the background noise. Also I could hardly hear them because the audio quality was terrible. I replaced the head unit and speakers but I shouldn’t have had to.
3. Random vibration noises from the underbody that come and go. Dealer noticed them but couldn't pinpoint.

The above are unacceptable for a 50k vehicle built in Japan. All these issues appeared before the first service.

Other than that its been very good off road and handles OK on road given the size of the vehicle. Have not had any issues with the DPF which is nice.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

The best handling full sized 4X4 for under 60k

The style may be slightly dated, but this is still the best performing 4x4 available in this price bracket.
Unlike many soft-roaders, the occupants will not feel like they are being thrown around in rough seas if you give it some jandle. The 3.2 is a beautiful engine, tonnes of torque and plenty of power. Fuel economy is fair, I'm getting 9/100. The updated stereo now features carplay, and there's lots of power outlets.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Great off road 4wd

This is our second mitbubishi 4wd and we find this one is also reliable and user friendly. It is quiet for a 4wd and well sealed as the dust does not enter. Have travelled long distance on many outback dirt roads and it is a verh smooth ride. We fitted a non factory bull bar which as since paid off with wildlife. The reversing camera is excellent and with the turning circle the car nearly parks itself. The only issue is the gps you have to use your phone data and if you are in non phone service areas you have no gps.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Love it

This suv is easy to drive, easy to park, it has seat heat warmers, the leg room is good. There is not alot of soace down the side of the seat to adjust the seat position, i have small hands and its a tight squeeze. A baby seat is easy to install with no modifications needed.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Lovely car

Lovely car to drive, a bit loud at times, but it felt like you were driving a smaller car - in a the best way possible. Easy to park, good vision etc. Sometimes legroom wasn't the greatest, but was comfortable enough. The 3rd row seats are useless I must say. Previously had a kluger, and notice that the Paj wasn't as refined, but it didn't affect how it drove. Have recently upgraded to a Colorado,and miss how easy the Paj was to park! Must add that it was very well equipped and priced

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Real man's 4x4, love it

Very reliable with top performance
Pajero’s space and seating flexibility allow third row seats to be easily stowed under the cargo floor to create a wide, flat storage space or removed completely to give you a convenient underfloor compartment. Second row seats can also be folded down to provide space for nearly anything you want to bring along for the ride.

Date PurchasedDec 2014

Great valued all rounder

The NX PAJERO is a 4x4 with proven reliability and a good reputation. I have been impressed by its driveability and feel it is definitely value for money. It is a bit old school in its technology and noise levels but feels solid and performs well. The interior is a bit bland but then again most 4x4s are but I love the traditional exterior with a touch of bling with the chrome highlights . I have been averaging around 8.5 l/100kms fuel economy and 15.5l/100kms when towing our 2500kg caravan.

February 16th Update: Great 4x4

The NX PAJERO is a comfortable, go anywhere 4x4 and is equally at home on the bitumen or off road. It is a bit dated in design but everything works as it is intended and it does most things thrown at it without any fuss. A great allrounder and well worth considering if in the market for a family wagon that can go anywhere.

Purchased in January 2017 for $49,500.00.

Year2,016

Great family wagon

Intented to get an outlander for it mid size, 7 seats and its price. But tested the pajero instead, out of interest. Love it at first drive. Moving from a Lancer it gives me the road presence and the confidence. Ride is is marginally better than my CJ Lancer and it sound better than my Lan-blender.

Selected this instead of a Kia sorento or Hyundai Santa Fe due to it ground clearance and proven 4wd ability. MUX is in my list but my Miss is turned off by its ute like interior and overall size. Prado and Everest is too expensive nothing below 50ķ and the Sport, well it's yet proven.

So far over 9000km on the clock and not a mech problem. Been to several places Mt Mee after the rain, Condamine river twice and couple of the beaches, no problem. All the time on 4wd only and yet tested other modes or the locker. It drives well on highway averaging 7.5 with 5 persons on board and high 10 to 12 in town.

Coming from a Lancer all controls are simple and the dash is well layout. Some might say its design is old but i am going for simplicity, less to fail. Cabin noise is better than previous models, but not as good as the koerans or the premium brands. Thanks to it monocoque body and full independent suspension, don't feed like a boat, that's how my in-laws compare this to a R51 pathfinder.

The 5 speed is smooth and intelligent (6 would be better), matching well to the engine output. Both are old tech, but it works well. Tested and proven for the past 16 years with most issues sort out in the earlier models, so a big tick in my reliability criteria.

Now the cons and i agree with most reviewers it an old design, insufficient cups holders and storage space. The door pockets are tiny and where is the holder for my sunnys. Next the centre console and media unit rattles, and i mean the high pitch rub of two plastics, thats irritates me big time on long trips. Maybe after 16 years the plastic mold might have worned out. Hope the dealers can sort it out on my next service.

All in all it's still a great buy and great drive.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Love this car

Beautiful to drive only picked it up yesterday but seems excellent build quality very comfortable. Great ride, represents excellent value compared to the prado, and in my opinion slightly more comfortable, although prado does have a more modern dash layout, the Pajero has a better infotainment unit with Apple car play or google car play, great feature. Well worth a look and a lot better ride than a ute based suv and the deals Mitsubishi are doing at the moment are amazing!

Purchased in June 2016 for $55,000.00.

Year2,016
Comfort

Just bought a 2015 Pajero NX GLX another one, No3. So I am a happy Pajero owner.

We had a NP Pajero, did 80K in that and just sold our 2012 NW, 116K and replaced it with a 2015 Pajero NX. We found the Pajero a very useful vehicle, economical, have seen 7.8 lt/100k on the highway probably going with the wind, average 10-11 lt/100k mixed driving. Towing a 1700 kilo Pop Top caravan between 11.5 - 16 lt/100k again depending on wind direction. Found the Pajero did well on the limited 4WDriving we did and had no mechanical problems. We did look at the opposition, the Ford Everest, Toyota Futura and Isuzu MU X and decided that for the price the Pajero came out well on top. A well designed, proven, roomy, versatile 4WD. Ran the tyres between 35-40 psi.

TransmissionAutomatic
PS. Our first Pajero we obtained second hand with 70K on the clock and sold it at 150KFor those Pajero owners who buy a heavier caravan but want to upgrade the Tow Bar weight from 180 to 300k if the caravan weighs over 2500k I believe this firm can do it legally. http://www.climaxsuspension.com.au/docs/pajerotowcapacity.pdf. (we have no relationship with them and have not purchased their product). We have changed to the Ford Everest for the 3rd row seat upgrade as the grandchildren were getting too big for the Pajero. Will do a post re the Everest when we get a few K's on it, seems good so far!

Love that car!

First 3 weeks of driving and impression is wow!!!!! Everything we judge is the way we compare things, right? So here is the list of the Utes and 4x4 wagons that I've personally tested before making the final decision: 2016 Ford Ranger 3.2, 4x4, auto, space cab-$59000, 2016 Holden Colorado LT, 4x4, auto, space cab-$45000, 2016 Toyota Hilux (new one) SR-5 4x4, auto -$55000, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Loredo Diesel 4x4, auto (my wife drives one) and I did not tested Toyota Prado only because the new model has the same motor as Hilux and I did not like it at all.
Holden Colorado: very noisy, agricultural, sluggish, feels like a truck, interior is very dull.
Ford Ranger: loved it, almost everything except the price tag, I would have to add up a canopy, so it's extra $5K to 8K ... The total came to $65000+
for work vehicle? It did not make sense to me.
Jeep Grand Cherokee: I love to drive it, amazing car for money-$54000, comfortable, handling and performance are amazing, same is fuel economy-9L in city driving and my wife is quite heavy on a pedal, looks great too. My issue with it that there is so much electronics in it that I'm not sure of the reliability on a long run. And Yes it is a little bit smaller then I need.
So here I came to the point: Pajero ticks all the boxes for me, very good handling, good performance,very comfortable (for me), simple and reliable (as most Pajero owners say), boxy body which I need to fit my tools in, very quiet, YES it is quiet and it is economical. In City driving it's between 10 and 11L per 100k and It's only 1100 km on a clock. One negative though, terrible design of instruments, the Tacho and Speedo are not facing the driver, so it is very hard to see. They kind of seat on a about 5 degrees to the sides. But stereo is good, digital radio and so on. Thats all negative I've got.
Any way, I really enjoy driving Pajero every day and I think this is one of the best compromises between road car and hard core 4x4.

TransmissionAutomatic

Driving my fourth Pajero.

Phenomenal fuel economy for a vehicle that weighs around two tonnes. I have had low 8's which is better than 30 miles per gallon in real language. I tow a lot and like everyone have trouble with the tailgate. A pretty poor design flaw is that, especially when you consider a vehicle like this is going to be used for towing
Fantastic ability on gravel roads, there isn't a vehicle that will keep up, these are just great.
Over the past couple of weeks, my backside has ached after a long drive. Has anyone suffered a driver seat failure as this is what I think it is?
One problem is collection of dust around the rear door which flies in to the vehicle when the door is open. Many of my colleagues have gone away from Pajero's due to this.
No vehicle is perfect but I reckon there are way more good points than bad. I would buy another.