Toyota Prado

No power , huge fuel consumption!

Was a good car at first but after some time and what I’m told is a failure in the diesel particulate filter system the fuel consumption sky rocketed and it felt like I was driving around with the hand break on !

Purchased for $60,000.00.

Bad
Bad
Noise Level
Normal
Boot Size
Features
Comfort
OK

The worst in car system in the world?

I have just installed my old TomTom and bluetooth hands free kit (blueant) into my 2018 Toyota Prado. The in-car system is just so bad that anything else is better. I drove a Hyundai i30 hire car today with the appleplay system which was brilliant. Why Toyota did not run with this I don't know. The phone system is unusable while driving and when using the voice control system you may drive 2km before the system responds to your command. I honestly don't think Toyota ever tested their system outside of the showroom. I have 1000+ contacts in my phone and it takes 5 mins for the phone to synch each trip.

Purchased for $65,000.00.

Good
Good
Noise Level
Normal
BoughtNew
Performance
Acceleration / Power
Bad
Handling
Bad
Braking
Suspension
Gear Shifting
Fuel Efficiency
Design
Interior Design
Boot Size
Bad
Features
Comfort
Good

Worst transmission of all time.

Would not lock into top gear until well over 100km/hr, and then would change down when it saw a hill in the distance. Fitted a scanguage to watch the transmission temperature, and was horrified to see the temperatures while towing, and that was using the gear recommended. The only way to stop it changing and the torque converter from slipping was to tow in 4th gear at about 90km/hr.
Would not tow my small Tvan without great input from right foot, (old 120 series Prado was much better)

Date PurchasedFeb 2016
Drive4WD

1GR 4.0 V6 is one of the best Toyota motors ever made

The prado is quite a surprising little package, after having owned several full sized cruisers from 60 series to 105 series I decided to downsize to a 120 prado and the power you get for the fuel usage is fantastic. Some people may find 13.7l/100km average bad but compared to my 1fzfe cruisers at 25-26l/100km I am amazed! Cheap to run, chain driven V6 (no timing belt) smooth and quiet, I can see these becoming the new 80 series in the next 5-10 years in terms of a reliable, decent tourer that honestly I can see easily covering 500,000kms without fail. The 5 speed auto grearbox is the pick of the bunch having a low 1st gear and lower reverse than the old 4 speed. Amazingly these 120’s can be had for under 10k with less than 250,000kms on them and that’s a great cheap entry 4x4 for a tourer or mild 4x4 wagon. These are no patrol or 105 series cruiser on the real tough tracks but seeing as there is usually a good on road drive to get to the tough tracks the Prados do the road and 90% of the 4x4 tracks in much more comfort and economy than the live axle 4x4s.

Highly recommend for a family 4x4, try and get one with traction control (Vx, grande and late gxl with safety pack) as this makes them much more capable off road. If getting one without factor in a rear locker $2k if you want to push it past it’s maximum flex.

BadgeGrande
Date PurchasedJan 2017

Sublime first drive experience - very happy with the July 2018 Manual GXL Prado

I had a Prado 150 in 2015 but as soon as I drove it from the showroom I knew it was a lemon...back and forth about 20 times and they diagnosed a drive train fault that they repaired by installing a dampening device to the chassis....it thankfully got rid of 80% of the vibration through the steering wheel...the other 20% when I changed tyres.

I was a little apprehensive picking this new 2018 July compliant car! The sales process was done by phone aside from the paperwork side of things, everything happened smoothly enough. The sales staff were helpful and went through everything. The revised model has some nice touches of silver plastic that seemed to freshen the dash up and gave it a lovely, solid feel. I broke up what was before quite a dark, cheap feel.

As I left the dealership today I drove along the 80km/h zone couldn't feel anything....no vibrations, no steering wheel shudder...nothing! I literally held my breath as I got to the freeway and approached 100km when in my old Prado the vibrations started. Thankfully, nothing close to a vibration and I can't tell you how happy I was to cruise along at a 110km and feel what my 2015 should of felt from day one. The standard tyres create some road noise so I'd recommend a test drive in a 110km stretch of road to see if you find it annoying. I was fine with it and where I felt it could be improved, I'll work on that in the future.

This upgraded model is wonderful and while I miss out on the techno pack of an auto, I read enough to feel put off an auto with all the overheating commentary.

I also noticed that the DPF had kicked in and I think its been altered now to burn more regularly, I clocked up 300km driving from the dealership and when I got near home I noticed the DPF doing a burn by the increased rpm (upto about 1100km). I could smell the burn off with my window down and stationary but it wasn't offensive or intruding into the cabin with the window shut.

The one thing I noticed that was different from my old Prado was that I felt a solid object at the top of the drivers seat that took some time to get used to. I'm a hulking great unit so I noticed almost immediately that it lacked padding or support at the top of the seat. However, as I drove along, I got used to the change in feel and the electric lumber support helped to adjust to a really nice driving position.

I sat comfortably in the cabin, instrument dials ahead of me, laid out well and subtle changes to make them look almost european in design. Subtle changes to instrumentation as well made the car overall look really refreshed and of good quality.

Overall, really impressed with the latest model and (touch wood) blissful, stress free driving (although I will have to cope with Sydney drivers LOL!)

Date PurchasedDec 2018

2018 PRADO Very disappointing with my purchase

A BRAND NEW LANDCRUISER PRADO 2018 - paid almost 70k - not happy with the new Vehicle I purchased on September 2018.

Just done 2500 KM
Irregularities in gear shifting.
I was hearing unusual sound while starting the engine.
Took it to the dealer and they said the “ENGINE MOUNT” needs to be replaced (Unbelievable).
Very furious and disappointed with Toyota.
For the price and reputation I did not expect this from Toyota.

Date PurchasedSep 2018

2018 GXL Prado (Love this Car BUT!!)

I purchased this vehicle for daily commuting & as a tow vehicle. As a daily driver I love this car it's comfortable has all the options you need good fuel eco Great Car, BUT as tow vehicle i'm very disappointed!. I tow a Jayco Journey 19.5ft Caravan weight fully loaded 2.7t, when towing this van my Prado uses 22L to 26L per 100Ks traveling at 90khp on my last trip talking to landcruiser 200 owners towing bigger vans then mine, they were doing better at around 22L to 24L per 100Ks doing 110 to 125kph. The Prado tow Capacity is 3,000Kgs now but to to tow anything close to that the car 2.8L engine is working very very hard and sucks the fuel. it's a pity because I truly love this car, but I might have to look at maybe upgrading.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Great car for touring

We purchased the Prado new as a replacement for a LandRover Discovery3. We have now had the car almost 6 years and travelled 100,000kms. We have had it serviced by the Toyota dealer since new whilst the 6 yr warranty ran. There have been a couple of warranty claims...nothing major , just niggles. Now, post warranty we will get the car serviced by a more local specialist.
We have modified the car to make it better for touring /off-road (suspension, snorkel, under body armour, dual battery, ARB bull bar, secondary fuel filter, diff breathers, throttle adjuster, Cooper tyres etc).
Car performs well under load and around town. The handling much improved with the OME suspension.
I honestly can't see us needing to or wanting to replace the car anytime soon...

Date PurchasedJan 2013

This is I made a big mistake in my life

I am using daily to go to work. Mileage is very bad and after every 2 to 3 days the DPF starting to burn the chemicals during that time the mileage is very bad and the rpm going up to 900.Aand the engine sound and vibration also going up that time. It will going around 25minits. When its happening very uncomfortable to drive.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

TOYOTA ARE No 1 FOR A GOOD REASON..........THEY BUILD QUALITY AT AN AFFORDABLE PRICE

We purchased a demo 2001 Toyota Prado VZJ95R V6 3.4L Auto when it was 3 months old.........in 17 years it hasn't so much as blown a fuse or had any other fault due to any stupid faults that are common in so many present day AWD. Yes it has 4 wheel Disc ABS, Traction Control, Stability Control, Air Bags, Side Impact protection, all the bells and whistles, and still drives like new. We expect 7 kms per litre for such a solid vehicle built with a CHASSIS. It sees and loves the snow at Hotham around 28 days per year and tows 3 tons of firewood effortlessly. I coulnt get over how it refused to lose control in the snow even when I forced the wheel sharply ! Amazing ! The engiine oil & filter is changed without fail every 7500kms, Transmission Oil every 60,000 kms, all 4 Filters exactly as per Severe Service Schedule, both diff oils every 60,000kms, Fuel Injector Cleaner added to both tanks every 10,000kms , Coolant change every 80,000kms. Paint still looks brand new ! ................... not a single minute of a "let down" or failure ........ so what are people thinking when they trade in a car like this ?????? ........... is it ego, or keeping up with the Jones's, too much money, or what ??????

Date PurchasedSep 2001

Best vehicle I've owned

After a string of Diesel Hilux's, Landrover Discoveries I bought my first Prado on a whim at auction-online, sight unseen. It had 300,000km on the clock so my expectations were realistic. To my surprise it looked immaculate and drove the same, full service history and one owner from new. A few sensible upgrades, suspension, tyres, bull bar later it is becoming a favorite for the fun we have in it and the reliability. Dual tanks standard, great air-cond, relatively good fuel economy, (1KZ pre-common rail diesel-manual). Very capable off road and comfortable, roomy for family trips. Only regret is we didn't buy one sooner.

BadgeGX
Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Not what I expected

Hi everyone , I’ve had 90 series prados, 120 series prados and now I have a new 150 series prado . The 90 & 120 series gave me faultless driving for many years and were very capable off road as well so it was a no brainer for me to carry on with the tradition . After putting 30,000km on it in 4 months Here’s my basic take on it . It’s a big comfortable wagon great for long distance driving and is extremely economical . I’m getting 1600km’s highway use constantly and around 1400km’s urban/ highway . Dash layout simple and easy to use with everything within easy reach . Headlights work a treat . The drive is very smooth as is the auto transmission and the cabin nice and quiet .The seat fabric is so soft that a box on the back seat wore holes and marks in the fabric after a 200km trip. Seat covers are a necessity. Off road was where it lets itself down . Compared to my previous 120 series I actually find this thing completely and utterly useless . I think the combination of a 2.8 litre engine and a whole heap of electronics thrown in has completely destroyed its off road ability . I could take my 120 series anywhere where as this thing struggles at the first hint of off-road. You can hear the electronics fighting itself and producing the most uncomfortable grinding noises continually which Toyota says is completely normal . It really is that bad . Towing a 1.5 tonne caravan was a complete struggle to with massive drops in speed with the slightest incline . This motor is simply to small for their claimed 3 tonne towing . I think 3 tonne towing would kill this thing or kill the occupants whilst being overtaken by hundreds of trucks that would be battling to go around you . If it wasn’t for the economy I would of traded this thing already . I’ll put another 40k on this thing and then look at other options . If you are buying this as a tow car I would seriously suggest you hook up your caravan etc and test out it’s towing ability for yourself . Hope this helps

Date PurchasedMar 2018

The best car I had

2004 1KZ, Done 230,000Km with it. running smooth, reliable.
Has been offroad with this car a lot never had a problem,
If the Auto box was 5 speed It would make a different car.
I like this engine is so simple and makes life easier with service and low maintenance cost

Date PurchasedFeb 2015

Ok but could be much better

Owned since dec 2015. The car is quiet and cruises nicely. Love the 150L tank capacity. Nice and roomy. Interior not too bad. A few things they annoy me incl.
- why can't you set the satnav destination whilst moving?
- the touchscreen is clunky
- when reversing with the radio from the night before on 1st start the next morning you can't click the radio off. You can only turn vol down
- I've had the car for 2 1/2 yrs now and still struggle how to switch off rear AC from the front
- engine is a bit weak for the weight of car
- dynamics a bit lacklustre
- ugly grill and front.

Date PurchasedDec 2015

This car is shit, DONT BUY IT

This car broke down every week and couldn’t tow my trailer which only weighs 1tonne
It’s is really uncomfortable and the radio cut out a lot
If you are buying a car buy a land cruiser instead
It is too expensive and it is not worth what I bought it for

BadgeVX
Date PurchasedJul 2018

Too many issues not built to last

Our car started off great, but once the DPF started playing up it all went down hill, huge smoke clouds fuel consumption up to 14lts per 100, Toyota made us come back to continually waste our time, 3 seperate days to be told it needs a new filter and it's a month wait, it is a known issue yet they still wasted our time over and over, They cannot guarantee us the new DPF will not end up the same after the next 30,000kms.

We also found a fair amount of dust in our air intake after looking into the issue we found Toyota are well aware and can't say if it will be fixed, we purchased the vehicle with intentions to use it as a long term tourer but it is quickly becoming a very unreliable 4wd and they are well aware of all the issues which are not isolated to a few vehicles so buyer beware Toyota reliability has gone out the window followed by there customer service.

BadgeKakadu
Date PurchasedJun 2016

Great car

Great vehicle to drive easy to park good fo towing ,good riding on or off road .
Have airbags in rear coil springs ,Bridgestone ,desert duellers , CB 40 channel, spare 12 volt deep cycle battery hard wired in rear ,recovery hooks fitted ,towbar Anderson plug 50amp ,electric brake controller (Redarc ) turbo timer , clear view mirrors,28" LED bar on sovereign bull bar . Bought Prado New have done 170,000 km ,have replaced engine mounts twice since new , water pump , plus compulsory timing belt .great leg room in the front but never sat in rear .removed third row on day bought car
Dash easy to see,ease using controls , Bluetooth .
Don't like one big door no access to fridge when caravan on door can't open due to brake on tow hitch same as boat hitch.have to jackknife the caravan & boat . Tailgate or barn doors would be much better.
Towing 13 litres per hundred Kms @ 85 kms ,boat is 1.9 tons loaded ,caravan loaded 1.4 loaded.
A very reliable vehicle . Around town 9 ltrs per hundred country 8.4 @ 100 kms

August 25th 2018 Update: One big door

Bought new GXL 2007 Prado diesel great to drive holds road well on or off bitumen great in sand plenty of grunt low down . I tow a 1.9ton boat and a single axel caravan 1.2 ton . The thing I dislike the most one big door when the boat is on cannot open rear door unless I jack - knife it , the overriding brakes restrict the door can't get into the fridge , barn doors or tail gate would be better however I personally. Would like barn doors as spare wheel could still stay on rear door and still have 150 litre fuel tank( 2007 180 ltrs tank ) the new Prado GXL is a 7 seater seats fold into the floor if I bought a new Prado I would not be able to put a fridge in the back on top my draws as it raises the floor up by another 150 mm impossible to open fridge . GX base model Prado is only available that's if I bought Toyota .also if unfortunate to be rear ended spare wheel and door cannot be repaired.. Prado has done 180kms trouble free running with the exception of engine & transmission mount .engine mount are vacuum run not transmission $800.00

Date PurchasedSep 2007

Great driving fun

The Prado is a great driving experience, both on & off road. On the road it is a smooth ride combined with surprisingly good handling & mobility. Easy to navigate through the city but the parking sensors are a must have. Off road, if you're that way inclined, it is dynamite, smoothing out bush tracks with ease & a blast to drive (my kids loved it).

Date PurchasedJun 2015

Needed the space!

We had a baby 10 months ago and realised we needed more space than our Hilux offered. Love the Toyota and didn't want to sway from it so had a look at the Prado. Love it for space. We can take everything (and I do mean everything) our bub needs on our long trips. The only down side so far is the short gears. Driving around town we are constantly changing gears (our fault for buying a manual).

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Buyer Beware!!!!

Beware of d4d engined toyota... This engine is prone to piston fractures 100-150,000km and injector failure 120-140,000km.
Do a google search "Prado d4d engine problems" before purchase...U have been warned!
My engine lasted 141,000 from new always serviced so no excuse for toyota. I took toyota to fair trading for action and extracted some compensation.

BadgeGX