Isuzu MU-X

Isuzu MU-X (2013-2019)

Also referred to as: Isuzu MU-X 2018 and Isuzu MU-X 2020. Series II (2017-2019) and Series I (2013-2016)

See the Best Large / 7 Seater SUVs in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Love the purr of this tough diesl family 4WD

I'd give a 6 if I could. I love this car. We haven't had any issues with it. It is strong and powerful for towing the trailer when needed. It fits 7 people comfortably. The sound system is excellent for listening to music or podcasts through bluetooth. The leather seats make it that little bit luxurious. We are impressed with the 3 tonne towing capacity and yet it is efficient on fuel consumption. It has the same engine as our Isuzu Dmax ute, that was sadly written off. Just a great all rounder family car that can also be used for towing and farm work. The dvd player is an added bonus which the kids love. Everyone in the back can see the screen and great audio quality. The cost to get it serviced is not exorbitant like other brands and only required every 10000 kms. We purchased this car for half the price of what a Toyota equivalent would have cost so we couldn't be happier. Thanks!

Purchased in January 2018 for $39,000.00.

BoughtUsed
Year2017
Comfort

I've grown to love this noisy beastie that can tow houses up mountains!

Besides for being a little noisy, the engine in this vehicle is phenomenal. I tow a Majestic Knight SLE (20'6") packed up to almost 3.0 ton with very little effort. Fuel consumption towing (about 13 l/100) is equivalent to many vehicles unladen effort! With the updated interiors, the feeling of being in a much more expensive vehicle cannot be passed by. Our MU-X has just turned one years old, and every indication is that it'll still be with our family for many, many years to come. Zero problems or issues to date.

Purchased in September 2018 for $44,000.00.

Year2018

Love my MUX

I purchased my MUX 2wd in August 2016, and it is a 2016.5 2wd LST,with the 5 speed auto transmission. It was primarily for towing our 18ft van which weighs roughly 1750kg loaded. We have travelled 63ks since then, and the only fault I have found is the fuel tank is a little small for the long distance traveller. We had a 116l tank fitted so it is no longer a problem.
Fuel economy varies from low 8's on a trip to mid 9's per 100k in the city. Towing the van we got between 12 and 14.5 travelling between Brisbane and Darwin. I am no leadfoot and always slowly accelerate but I am impressed with the economy.
It doesn't use oil or blow smoke and I really like the car and would recommend it as a tow vehicle. It does not have all the bells and whistles of other cars of that type but it is a solid car which does all that I want.
One thing I really like is the radio. I listen to am and it has the best reception of any car I have owned, particularly out west.

Purchased in August 2016.

Year2016

Supremely reliable and trouble free currently at 190000km

This vehicle was purchased primarily as a long distance/ tow vehicle in late December 2013. It has just clocked up 190000 trouble free kilometers, still on original suspension and brake pads, and its third set of tyres are relatively new. Apart from a bust turbo when relatively new AFTER a service, replaced under warranty, there have been no breakdowns or any repair work required - servicing only.
The vehicle has travelled all over Queensland NSW and Victoria towing horse floats on often very bumpy roads eg Taroom to Moree. It has survived the heat of N Qld and the snow and ice of the Central West NSW. The ride is a bit bumpy when unladen, and the GPS is not the best but as a reliable tow vehicle it cannot be beaten.
I think it is important to realise it is not a mummy van. It is a tough ute like vehicle.
Ideal farm or acreage utiliy vehicle, tow vehicle and occasional seven seater wagon.

Purchased in December 2013 for $49,000.00.

Year2013

Great practical car

We bought an MUX 2 years ago. Very good car for the price. We use it to tow a 2.7t caravan and it does it with ease. 2 things that I would change if I could would be for the keyless entry to work on all doors, not just the driver door and the boot. Also it would be great if the headlights were auto, as currently the driving lights are auto.

Purchased in December 2017.

Fuel Efficiency

Had it a month starting to love it.

I bought my MU-X about a month ago.
The first morning I was immediately alarmed at the engine rattles.
Never had a diesel before, so the rattles at cold start up gave me a fright.
But after speaking to others with diesels and a month of driving it, I now understand its just "A DIESEL" its a nice car to drive and the noises are all normal.
Towing my 1500 kg boat is a dream, the car shrugged off the weight like no other car I have ever had.
Hills are no barrier and it cruises comfortably with no apparent effort.
The car sees predominantly freeway driving, about 1000klm a week.
On the freeway its in its element, the engine noise disappears, unless you give it lots of throttle.
The engine just moseys along at around 1600 rpm at 110 klm/hr.
There is little road noise, some wind noise, but it does get a little bumpy on the goat tracks we laughingly refer to as roads on the Central Coast.
Fuel consumption is great, I get between 7.4 and 7.8 L/100 klm in the last 6000 klm, but expect slightly less frugal mileage once I start using the air conditioner every day.

Complaints; One or two
I have an annoying rattle in the left hand side pillar or dash that I cannot find.
The rear camera seems to be set up a little out of position because if I use it to align myself I'm out of square.
The steering wheel would be better if it had reach as well as height adjustment.
We shall see how it goes off road over the next few months, but so far....great

Purchased in May 2018.

Year2018
Comfort

Lots of small issues. Car feels unfinished.

Bought this car in 2017 to use for commuting to work and the occasional towing.

Within the first few weeks I noticed things going wrong. Started with using oil, had an oil consumption test but it only used about 300ml per thousand kms. Turns out that Isuzu is ok with that so they won't cover it under warranty and its my problem to deal with. I bought a new car so I wouldn't have to top up the oil regularly. Lately I found out that when I tow about 2 ton the oil consumption goes through the roof, it used about a 1L for a 40km trip. Isuzu have offered to do another oil consumption test, but unless I'm towing during that time, it won't be any different and they won't fix it.

Other issues are related to the bluetooth being really had to connect to. Often the phone connection button is just greyed out so you can't click on it. Hands free is unusable as it sounds like you have a gas mask on and no one can understand you. Can't change the time on the clock as the button is also greyed out.

If anyone opens a back window even at slow speeds around town all the windows have to be opened to deal with the wind noise. Keys are so sensitive that if you lock your car you have to carry them till you are out of range otherwise it will unlock your car just by putting them in your pocket.

Bought a manual as I prefer them. Pretty sure the synchro is rubbish as it often grinds between 2nd and 3rd gear and you have to be stationary to go from 2nd to 1st gear. Which is annoying if the lights change colour as you are slowing down for them.

Purchased in August 2017 at Jackson Motor Company for $41,000.00.

TransmissionManual
Year2017

Bad back up of product

Innate the LST 2014 Isuzu mux I have had my GPS upgrade 1 year after I bought it in 2014 I was told by the salesman that I would get upgrades for the GPS but when I went on to download the map it was the same one I had on mine I even went back and got it from sevice centre but still the same so if I had known at the time I would of bought the model down from the LST

Date PurchasedApr 2014

Great car at a reasonable price.

After much research on medium sized SUVs capable of towing a medium sized Caravan we settled on the Isuzu Mu-x. We were set on the Toyota Prado but found that we couldn't justify the extra $20k when the Mu-x had everything we wanted. We've only had it for 2 weeks and are yet to tow anything but we are happy with the car. Yes it sounds like a ute to drive but we don't mind this as it's only noticable driving around town and we do most our driving on a highway.
Our must haves were 3lt turbo diesel engine, 3t towing capacity and seats that folded down flat so you can sleep comfortably in the rear of the car. We got them all and more.

Date PurchasedJan 2019

Navigation upgrade costs

The car is very good my complaint is with the cost of the navigation up grade. Tried doing it today but stopped when I found out the costs were $200. Will just have to put up with errors that are in it. Example is on the south eastern freeway into Adelaide the speed is 90K this is on the screen but just before the two fixed cameras the voice tells you its 100K. This type of error is all the way through.

Date PurchasedOct 2015

Great family car

We love our car, it is very roomy for the whole family and quite fuel efficient given the size of the car. We purchased this car to tow a caravan and whilst we are yet to use it for towing, we are confident that it will do the job and we will easily be able to pack everything we need into the car for a family trip away. We are a family for 4 with two young children, the car has two car seats in the middle row.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

2018 MU-X LST - Extensive research led me to this purchase. Very happy!!

Before purchasing a new 4WD I checked out and drove the Toyota Prado, Toyota Fortuner, Holden Trailblazer, Mitsubushi Pajero Sport and the Isuzu MU-X. In the end the Isuzu offered the best value for money and promised greatest durability. Toyota currently has too many issues with their 2.8 Diesel, the Trailblazer's are chewing through oil and the Pajero Sport was too narrow for knees because of the wide transmission tunnel.
The MU-X tows our all-terrain camper trailer with plenty of grunt and stability. It's very capable off-road and my wife and I love the I-Venture program geared towards teaching 4WD newbies the capabilities of their D-Max and MU-X vehicles. The top of the range LS-T gave us all the features we wanted, except for heated seats. However our dealer - Luke at Pakenham Isuzu - was very helpful in arranging seat warmers to be expertly installed as well as a bullbar, winch, 2 inch lift, after-market alloys with LT All Terrain tyres, snorkel, towbar, long-range fuel tank and brake controller. The range of after-market accessories for the MU-X is very impressive.
We're very happy with our MU-X and look forward to many more off-road adventures towing our camper trailer.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Did not last 150000 unsatisfactory vehicle

I brought brand new isuzu mux with rusty rotor disc and the only answer i got is that is how it is with the cars kept outside the showroom.
Its good on diesel with factory faults the brand new mux i had was sold to me with mis aligned wheels that gave me lots of worries and disappointments
Finally after the 125000 km engine warranty it ended up. Leaking coolant from between cylinder head and engine block.

BadgeLS-M
Date PurchasedNov 2014

Lives up to my expectations

Can't fault the economy averaged 7.6 ltr per 100klm room and comfort is good. The rear floor entry is a bit high, easy controls to use. Reliability is excellent though was expected from this proven engine. Performance it can get up and go if you want it too, I have the 2wd wish i could have afforded the 4wd thinking long term reliability that's why i got a mu-x.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Great, with a few caveats.

Love the MUX. Overall a great car. Good view out, especially looking out the rear passenger side as a driver trying to see oncoming traffic.
The negatives...
We have a terrible wind whistle which we can’t find. Painful. Anyone have an answer??
Road noise is high.
Turbo lags a bit.
The rear storage unit is so tiny, almost worthless.
The ride seems to float along, bouncy is how I would describe it.
Would we buy again? Yes. If only we could stop the wind whistle!!

BadgeLS-M
Date PurchasedDec 2017

Love our latest addition Isuzu MUX

Love our MUX, can not fault anything. Our grandchildren absolutely love Grandpa's car, especially the dvd player. They think they are so cool when grandpa picks them up from school in the Isuzu. We have fun watching the grass grow and have one tree starting (an app that tells you how you are travelling ecomonically). Dealership was fantastic Harrison Isuzu, Shane sales manager and Johnathan salesman.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

After some disappointing cars the MU-X is by far the BEST car I have owned

After owning several below average vehicles from new over the years, I have finally found one I am very happy with.
The MU-X 4WD ticked all my boxes in the car I wanted, and after 18 months, I wouldn't swap it.
I was after a 4WD I could take off-road, that was reliable, economical, and without the big price tag that usually comes with the Toyota's or Nissan's. Although I can service a car, I am no mechanic so reliability was my main criteria, as I intend to go outback touring. The Isuzu is renowned for it's reliability, and there are very few issues reported online compared to other makes and models.
The car was new from the dealer and I added a Bull Bar, Warn 9,500lb winch, snorkel, 2 inch lift, and my best addition, a replacement 125 litre long range tank, all for around $60,000. When compared with other Mid sized 4WDs, I couldn't even come close to the $60,000 price after adding all the extra's. Personally I find the car comfortable to drive, and much quieter than my previous 2014 Challenger.
The thing I notice the most was that even though the Challenger on Paper was more powerful, the MU-X seemed to cruise with less effort and noise. The Challenger with it's smaller engine seemed to rev much harder to get the same amount of power. This was also very noticeable when towing. The MU-X towed my caravan much more effortlessly whereas the Challenger really struggled.
After driving around with the extra couple hundred kilo's of accessories I am averaging 9.1 litres per 100km, and while towing a 1500kg caravan I averaged 12.5 litres per 100km. (I do however drive conservatively)
I am not one for all the fancy interiors which some of the higher priced cars have, but the MU-X is more than adequate for my purposes. I just needed something that was practical for 4WDing. Leg room is excellent, and you are not forced to sit too close to the steering wheel.
The car has not missed a beat and I average 30,000km a year in my cars.
For those who are interested, off-road the car performs more than adequate. If you are looking for a serious hard core machine, then look elsewhere , but if you want a 4WD tourer that is capable to do the odd river crossing or the occasional rough 4WD trail, then this maybe the vehicle for you.

The only negatives I have, is that there is nowhere to add a CB Radio, so I had to buy one where the controls are on the mouthpiece and mount it high under the dash out of sight. The other is I don't need a 7 seater and when folded down, they still sit higher than the cars tail gate.

In Summary, this is the best car I have owned, and I have owned 4 New cars in the last 10 years and 5 second hand cars.

Date PurchasedDec 2015

Great car, terrible customer service.

I bought the ISUZU MU-X over a Prado because of the 5 year warranty. I've had two warranty claims with terrible service/communication from the dealer at Chullora. They have repeatedly lied to me, don't seem to know the vehicle (didn't know where the fuel pump was). They tell me it will be ready, don't answer their phones and then I find out it's not ready when I try to pick it up (this happened 6 times for the one warranty claim).

Now my GPS/stereo is broken. I took it in for a service they said new one was order and they would call me when it is ready. After 4 weeks I call them, they forgot to record the serial number needed to order a new one (they had previously told me it was already ordered) and I need to take the car back in for a day so they can remove the unit, then I will need to take it back in a third time when the new unit arrives. They should have called me when they realised that they had stuffed up the first time. They are so hopeless that the guy at the service desk admitted that customers need to chase them as they don't call people back.

The 5 year warranty would be great, if you can actually get the vehicle fixed. I've had poor service at a few other ISUZU dealers as well but Heartland at Chullora takes the cake. ISUZU Australia, great vehicle I should be on my second by now, but you need to teach your dealers about customer service. The dealer at Geraldton was fantastic, send him around Australia to your other dealers.

Date PurchasedNov 2014

love the car - few things to fix at service time

* km left until i have to fuel up
changes dramatically
e.g 1 minute i might have 500km left
it changes to 600 then 300km
*usb mp3 music going blank and screeching after half hr
* car pulling to right
* cruise control -car is changing back gears and revving dangerous.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Radio problem took 6 months to resolve

Driving experience is good. Like the suspension, like the steering quality , fuel economy has been great. Havent towed yet but am confident it will do a great job. However, a problem with the radio fading in and out reception wise, quality of sound and tuning problems because of the poor reception, the fact that it took 6 months to fix the problem, my doubts about whether some of the work supposedly done to fix the problem was actually carried out , all these things were extremely frustrating and stressfull cost me a lot of time and money in trips to and from 2 dealers. 2 dealers were involved because the dealer i bought from had staff problems and couldnt look at the vehicle for a month. I bought from hampstead gardens , took the mux back several times, the radio was changed once the aerial once, checked for loose connections and everything else supposedly then i took vehicle to port wakefield rd waterloo corner road where radio was changed , aerial was changed , connections etc checked again , since told though that only one of these aerial changes was logged on the computer. The service assistant tried to get the matter resolved without success, got the area service nnanager(based in perth involved) via email and requested he contact me via email (didnt happen) dissapointing all he did was suggest changing the aerial. An aerial was ordered and in meantime i went back to gampstead vardens (smaller dealership and i think better service). New aerial obtained from port wakefield rd dealer. I requested that nanager from hampstead gardens become involved which he did and agreed to take vehicle and drive it for several days to experience all the problems. Aerial obtained from port wakefield rd dealer and fitted at hampstead gardens have now driven car for a week and problem appears to have been fixed. Why didnt previous aerial changes not fix the problem, surely 2 or 3 other aerials cant be faulty. Until the nanager got involved i was getting nowhere except very annoyed. Still like the vehicle overall though.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

We are looking for a new car and I am pretty much sold in a Toyota Prado due to the 150L tank however my husband wants to consider an MUX. We live on a farm in a rural area where I am travelling a minimum of an hour (one way) to get to town. How do people find the fuel consumption of the MUX, I’ve been told stories of it being amazing but then also heard that it’s just the same as any other SUV. How many kilometres do people generally get out of their tanks for general usage?
In comparison to the Prado, the fuel tank on the my MU-X (2018 LS-U) is quite small at 65 litres. I spend a fair amount of time in stop/start traffic and I average 7.9 l/100km. Normally, I go about 770 km before I start looking for a servo! Towing the 3.0 tonne caravan pushes the consumption to just over 12 l/100 km. With the cost savings on the purchase price of the MU-X, you could fit a long range tank if you found the need!

Will the suspension of 2019 dmax fit a 2014 mux

Will the 2019 dmax suspension fit my 2014 mux

Isuzu MU-X Series II LS-U 4WD, 3.0L Diesel, Automatic (2017-2019)Isuzu MU-X Series II LS-U 2WD, 3.0L Diesel, Automatic (2017-2019)Isuzu MU-X Series II LS-U 4WD, 3.0L Diesel, Manual (2017-2019)Isuzu MU-X Series II LS-T 4WD, 3.0L Diesel, Automatic (2017-2019)Isuzu MU-X Series II LS-T 2WD, 3.0L Diesel, Automatic (2017-2019)Isuzu MU-X Series II LS-M 2WD, 3.0L Diesel, Automatic (2017-2019)Isuzu MU-X Series II LS-M 4WD, 3.0L Diesel, Automatic (2017-2019)Isuzu MU-X Series II LS-M 4WD, 3.0L Diesel, Manual (2017-2018)Isuzu MU-X Series I LS-M, RWD (2013-2016)Isuzu MU-X Series I LS-M, 4WD (2013-2016)Isuzu MU-X Series I LS-U, 4WD (2013-2016)Isuzu MU-X Series I LS-U, RWD (2013-2016)Isuzu MU-X Series I LS-T, RWD (2013-2016)Isuzu MU-X Series I LS-T, 4WD (2013-2016)
CategoryLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVs
Starting Price $52,500$45,200$50,400$56,200$48,990$42,900$50,200
TransmissionAutomaticAutomaticManualAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticManual
Drive TypeFour Wheel Drive (4WD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Rear Wheel Drive (RWD)Four Wheel Drive (4WD)
Fuel TypeDieselDieselDieselDieselDieselDieselDieselDieselDieselDieselDieselDieselDieselDiesel
Wheels18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy16" Alloy16" Alloy16" Alloy16" Alloy16" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars
Doors55555555555555
Seats55555555555555
Fuel Consumption7.9 L/100km8.1 L/100km7.9 L/100km8.1 L/100km8 L/100km8.1 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 65 L65 L65 L65 L65 L65 L65 L65 L65 L65 L65 L65 L65 L65 L
Engine4 Cylinder 3.0L4 Cylinder 3.0L4 Cylinder 3.0L4 Cylinder 3.0L4 Cylinder 3.0L4 Cylinder 3.0L4 Cylinder 3.0L4 Cylinder 3.0L4 Cylinder 3.0L4 Cylinder 3.0L4 Cylinder 3.0L4 Cylinder 3.0L4 Cylinder 3.0L4 Cylinder 3.0L
Max Power130kW @ 3600rpm130kW @ 3600rpm130kW @ 3600rpm130kW @ 3600rpm130kW @ 3600rpm130kW @ 3600rpm130kW @ 3600rpm130kW @ 3600rpm130kW @ 3600rpm130kW @ 3600rpm130kW @ 3600rpm130kW @ 3600rpm130kW @ 3600rpm130kW @ 3600rpm
Max Torque380Nm @ 1800-2800rpm380Nm @ 1800-2800rpm380Nm @ 1800-2800rpm380Nm @ 1800-2800rpm380Nm @ 1800-2800rpm380Nm @ 1800-2800rpm380Nm @ 1800-2800rpm380Nm @ 1800-2800rpm380Nm @ 1800-2800rpm380Nm @ 1800-2800rpm380Nm @ 1800-2800rpm380Nm @ 1800-2800rpm380Nm @ 1800-2800rpm380Nm @ 1800-2800rpm
Country of ManufactureThailandThailandThailandThailandThailandThailandThailandThailandThailandThailandThailandThailandThailandThailand
Safety Features
Extra Features
  • Backseat Screen
  • Backseat Screen
Ground Clearance230 mm230 mm230 mm230 mm230 mm220 mm220 mm220 mm
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)3,000 kg3,000 kg3,000 kg3,000 kg3,000 kg3,000 kg3,000 kg3,000 kg3,000 kg3,000 kg3,000 kg3,000 kg3,000 kg3,000 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)5 year(s)
Release dateFeb 2017Feb 2017Feb 2017Feb 2017Feb 2017Feb 2017Feb 2017Feb 2017Nov 2013Nov 2013Nov 2013Nov 2013Nov 2013Nov 2013
Discontinuation dateDec 2018Dec 2016Dec 2016Dec 2016Dec 2016Dec 2016Dec 2016