Kia Sorento

See the Best Large / 7 Seater SUVs in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Ongoing limp mode problems

2012 model Kia Sorento, purchased as an ex demo model from a Kia yard, and have been experiencing "limp mode" problems over the last 3 years, with them getting more and more frequent. Kia, nobody can find a solution. But they will charge you $150 each time to run a diagnostic. Maybe it's this??? $200 thank you. Nope, wasn't that. Then lets replace this???? $500. Nope, not that either.... Google "Kia Sorento Limp Mode"and there are forums and forums, pages and pages, of this issue. Yet NO SOLUTIONS. I think this needs leaking to the news or something. It appears to have been a problem dating back as far as 2006 models, yet here we are 2019 and still no solution. It is dangerous. Imagine picking up your kids from school, pulling into a round-about when there is a gap, only to have your car suddenly limp across. Brown pants time I can tell you.....

Purchased in January 2013 at Kia Dealers.

Year2012
Handling

All the bells and whistles and such a delight to drive

We have the top of the line GT Line so you would expect everything in it but even the base model comes packed with features. Great to drive and even though it’s diesel you can hardly hear it or notice it. If on really coarse bitumen there can be quite a bit of tyre noise at times and if you want to tow with it I’d do my sums first ( mainly due to the tow ball weight) but they would be the only negatives I can think of. Everything else is brilliant and far outweigh these 2 things that aren’t really an issue. I’d happily buy another one

Purchased in June 2019.

Year2019

GPS Failed...

I've owned my Sorento My14 for about 5 years and it is now 'out of warranty'.

My GPS no longer works and the clearcoat off the rear spoiler has worn away.

Kia Service were not able to repair the GPS and told me it needed to be replaced at a cost of about $800!

I've asked them to lodge a replace request with Kia under Australian Consumer Law guarantees.

Let's see what happens..

Purchased in May 2014.

Year2014

Love it

We've owned our 2016 Kia Sorento for 3 years and we love it. It's very comfortable, quiet, smooth, reliable, and luxurious. It has plenty of power for family motoring (147kw, 441Nm).
We went with the SLi over the base model for the leather seats, electric tailgate, better sound system and nicer wheels. Every other feature we could have wanted (GPS, reversing camera, 7 seats, front and rear parking sensors, climate control etc) is actually standard on the base model, which is amazing. Many people don't realise the difference between Kia standard equipment (nearly everything is included) and BMW / Land rover etc etc (absolutely nothing is included and costs thousands more).
As a family with two small children we simply couldn't do without the space, dependability, and impressive comfort the Kia Sorento gives us.
If I had to pick a fault, it's really not very sporty to drive, maybe a Tiguan or something would be better, but it does hold the road like brick, it's extremely safe and secure on the road. And there's ample power and torque.
The brakes do the job but could be better.
Economy is excellent - I'm not an economical driver and we average around 7.9 to 8.2 L/100km combined.
If you're cross shopping this car with the smaller, cheaper crop of sub-$40k SUV's, you need to understand they are chalk and cheese. Holden Captiva? Jeep Patriot? Toyota Rav4? The quality of the Kia Sorento is double or triple what those budget rental-cars offer. Drive it for yourself to see.

Purchased in June 2016 for $48,500.00.

Year2016

Front diff and casing. Towing. Window wiper water motor

My Kia Sorento has been fantastic to us. We have taken it out to all parts of Victoria and use the all-wheel-drive many times on some rocky ground.

Recently a couple of noises were coming from underneath and then my wife brings it home and it is rattling like crazy.
We use the Kia roadside assistance and they took it straight to the Berwick dealership no charge.

The mechanics identified that we had sheared the spline in the casing of the front diff. We were quoted $5,500 for the fix. Our car came out of warranty last July 9 months ago. Because we were repeat customers to Berwick Kia and always kept up our servicing on time and used genuine Kia parts they put through a good honour form to Kia HQ to cover the costs and we were successful. We were not out of pocket for anything.

Problem was that it was a two week wait for the parts to come through to fix Sorrento and no courtesy cars where available. We are two car family so we struggled but we managed to make it work thanks to a few good friends.

After researching on not only this review page but also discussing it with the service team I uncovered that this has been a problem with the Kia sorrento's and this is not a one off.

If anyone has had troubles then they should fight against Kia for them to cover the full amount.

Also worth your window wiper water disperse. don't put any cleaning agents into the water as it creates a Grime that blocks the motor. The only way to get rid of this is to completely pull the peace out which will take a mechanic a couple of hours. Kia will try and say no they have to replace the part but really it just has to be washed out.

And lastly when towing be weary that the manual says to check the cars oil levels every 500 km as it can burn oil under maximum stress. Apparently 1 litre per thousand kms. In my case this hasn't been but I am weary.

Other than that our Kia has been fantastic. It tows really great and has power under foot and I would recommend Sorrento to anyone. The sound system is Kick-Butt and even sitting in the seventh seat you've got your own air conditioning and speakers.

Purchased in July 2016.

BoughtUsed
Year2014

Retirement vehicle

2008 my wife and I had returned from travelling Australia with a caravan over 5years, I had a good job driving trucks in Wangara WA. While travelling I had bought a GU Patrol DX in Darwin at an auction and while it was ok it was basic wind down windows etc, the Kia dealer offered a good trade on a LX diesel I test drove and was drawn by the 2.8 ton towing capacity, I had the initial service done then priced the following service costs so had it serviced by a registered mechanic, I replaced the front brake pads at 60,000 k's previous Patrols I had owned did 100,000ks, the mechanic used full synthetic Penrite oil, the diffs were changed perthe warranty requirements during the 5years we owned it did everything i asked of it towing our 18ft van to QLD then down the middle and across the Great Central Rd from The Alice to Leonora.i had the last service done by Kia The 5 year warranty ran out, and one mth later the computer started giving problems it went back to Kia 3 times I had to pay their argument was as I didn't have it serviced by them they wouldn't cover it. The problem was intermittent it would work well for a few days then tow truck eventually I bit the bullet and swapped it for a 02 Nissan patrol 4.5 petrol auto. I would never own another Kia or Hyundai

Purchased in July 2008 for $40,000.00.

Year2008
Comfort

Last Korean Turbo Diesel, 2.5 CRDI. Top of the range Auto. GOODBYE.

Purchased new April 2009 (2008 Build). At first loved it after four TDI Nissan Patrols, last one 430000 kms, no real problems. the vehicle used daily for work and play. (I was owner/ operator of a well respected
Mechanical Operation). Serviced as per the book. At 60,000 service at the dealership, I noted an oil leak from the Intercooler & Turbo. Dealer advised it was not a warrantable item??? After eight weeks with infighting between KIA (HO Aust.) and the dealer, it was completed. Hooray, we said. Next morning after driving about 5 km I lost brakes...luckily there was a Kia dealer close by so we called in, leaving the vehicle, a short time later I got a phone call, " SO &SO dealer has been working on your vehicle so you had better pick it up and take it there, also the computer says there is nothing wrong". I FUMED but got it over to the servicing dealer. Again, several weeks of infighting, they too said they can not find a problem as 'The Computer' says nothing wrong...wait for it, "YOU had better take it to a Brake Shop ??? My answer was it is a lack of vacuum and I am a brake Mechanic. I got the vehicle home and started to fight. Called the owner (who I knew Years ago) and got to his son who sent a truck out with a loan car and took the Kia back to the dealer. Several days later I was called to say the Vehicle was ready...The workshop had cracked the Evacuator Valve housing when repairing the intercooler. The vehicle has now done 103,000 km and in Dec last two switches, Ignition and Air conditioning regulator both went as did a few other things (turbo hoses etc, $3,000...Feb last Oil leaks again, Turbo, Intercooler plus more, $9,000. 27 Feb Vehicle stopped on a motorway, Timing chain, and Oil Pump
. Vehicle now up for sale "AS IS WHERE IS" body, interior, gearbox and everything immaculate but MOTOR US....OFFERS CONSIDERED.

Purchased in April 2009.

Year2008

The best 7-seater SUV by far

If you're in the market for one of the later model Sorentos then don't bother reading the reviews about the models prior to 2015, they're VASTLY different cars now!
After a lot of research I decided to lay down my hard earned on a 2018 Kia Sorento Sport AWD (diesel). I managed to negotiate a great deal on a demo model that had only 80km on the clock. To describe the driving experience, it feels like it glides on the road, steering is silky smooth, and it's got more power than you need. Suspension feels plush, yet rigid enough not to cause any body roll around corners. It's quiet on the inside, and the interior feels luxurious and built to last.
Apart from it's stylish European (Audi) like looks, what we love about it particularly is how roomy it is in all three rows and cargo area yet it's not an overly huge car at all.
Time will tell as to whether it is reliable like our old 2008 Toyota RAV4, but with a 7-year unlimited km warrenty and capped price servicing I'm feeling pretty confident about that. By the way, it took a lot for me not to buy another Toyota after the Rav never ever missed a beat for 10 years and it's functional design, but the new Rav4, Kluger, and Fortuner have got nothin on the Kia Sorento for style, functionality and overall value. If you buy a Sorento you will love it too I'm sure!

BadgeSport
Date PurchasedJan 2019
DriveAWD

Good vehicle let down by poor spare parts supply

Bought car new from Kia dealer, after 4.5 years major problem with brake abs unit, replace by kia, took 8 weeks straight away problem with lock out clutch switch, again replaced under warranty, 4.5 years later clutch hydrolic hose split, once again no spare parts, complained to Kia and got the usual fob off. I asked the question (are you trying to stop me from buying another Kia car) The car is well built and very strong but let down by lack of spare parts. No more Kia's for me.

BadgeEX
TransmissionManual
Date PurchasedDec 2009

Second Sorento I have had and even better than the last one (previous model)

Bought the 2016 SLi as I felt it was the best value package in the range. This is the 2.2 Diesel version.
This car has been brilliant and after 3 years still feels new. Standout features are comfort, spaciousness, handling , refinement and power. Fuel consumption excellent considering I only drive inner urban 9-9.2 litres per 100 kms. Taking it out of town sees this drop to well less than 7 l per 100 kms. Never missed a beat in the 3 years!
The car has excellent climate control, good gps and premium sound system. Leather seats ultra comfy especially on long drives. The diesel is silky smooth.
After coming from Holdens S and SS, Honda CRV, Honda Accord Euro, Mazda CX7, I've stuck with Kia for my last 2 cars and on ownership credentials, I'll be sticking with Kia. They are simply great cars and now that they are designed and engineered by the Germans....even better!

Date PurchasedJan 2016
DriveAWD

2007 3.8 sorento auto

Use this car for family transport super smooth quiet powerful very nice ride if you dont overinflate the tyres handles well for an high riding vehicle. Looks good (get lots of comments) passengers remark on comfort and qiietness. Smoothest shifting 5sp auto transmission. A bit thirsty. Just dont leadfoot it and drive it gently it has so much torque you need very little throttle input to keep it rolling lastly i do regular servicing with quality oils and parts (all oils changed ) very good value 2nd hand still looks new better than the shitbox merc ml i had before. Note if u want an economical commuter in city traff ic buy a kia rio or similar

BadgeGlobal Circuit
Date PurchasedMay 2017

Beautiful Car...until warranty period runs out.

Bought this car brand new in 2013 from my local Kia dealer.
For 4 years I couldn’t be happier with the car...it drove beautifully, comfortable, heaps of space.
Started to hear some clunking and noises when turning, returned the car to Kia 3 times to get this issue and an oil leak checked.
Each time the car was returned saying there isn’t an issue at all (without a loan car this is very inconvenient to be told nothing is wrong) 3 days after it came back from the Kia dealer saying all was good, the rear diff failed at only 92,000kms.
My local dealer were too busy to fix the car within 2 months so it was towed to another dealer (had to argue to get the tow fee reimbursed)
All was fixed until 6 months later the front diff also failed at 119,000kms

Lost all confidence in the reliability of the car and sold it.

Dealerships we’re unhelpful and issues brought up with Kia head office (re: central locking automatically locking the key fob in the car which shouldn’t happen) were left ignored.

Will never buy another KIA.

Date PurchasedJan 2013

Great car for the family

Bought this car as we now have 3 kids, fits all the babyseats in and has all the space needed. Great car for the price, has a lot of pick up for an SUV and all the features we need. Hasn't missed a beat since we got it. Highly recommend

Date PurchasedMay 2016

Best car I've driven in my life!

I use this car for surfing, carting grand children (7 seats on demand), long trips and work. So far so good, no, correction, it's excellent!
It's early days but who's stressing with a 7 year warranty to fall back on? Not one other company offers that warranty that I know of! Confidence in their own engineering was important to me.
It's cheap as chips to run, has a brilliant sound system, full leather seating, an AWD and 4WD option with a manual diff lock. Important for beach surfing)
I often go to Sydney from Qld to see my mum and it glides all the way. The twin Turbo gets you out of trouble and in fact, was a surprise.
There are some tricked up electricals too but I'm sold on everything else really. Oh, and parts are easily accessible and affordable unlike its opposition.

BadgeSorento
Date PurchasedOct 2018

Wow better than expected

Purchased a secondhand 156,000 Klm Kia Sportage Platinum Diesel for my wife. Totally surprised how good it is, no rattles or squeaks, tight as a drum. Everything works as it should, being a platinum it has it all; Panoramic Sunroof, Diesel, 6spd Auto, Keyless entry, heated front seats, Auto headlights, Auto Wipers, Satnav etc. Economical highway cruiser, plenty of power and torque. Smooth gearbox. Reasonably quiet and handles nicely. Full size spare wheel. Wife loves it and I must admit I don’t mind driving it as well.
Only criticism is it is the suspension is a little on the hard side, but that is a personal thing as you usually sacrifice ride for handling. Oh also no update software available for Satnav as they have gone to CarPlay
Great car highly recommend

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Can't live without it!

We use this as our family car and uses it for daily commuting as well as road trips. The car is very diesel efficient, good handling, safe and good looking! Love the two extra seats at the rear but storage space is quite limited once the seats are in use.

Date PurchasedDec 2015

Total lemon and bad customer service

I have a 2013 Kia Sorento sli, it was only 5 months out of warranty, always serviced and never taken off road and the diff and drive shaft completely broke on me. I have been quoted $9,500 by 2 mechanics to fix it. I called Kia and they were very short with me and basically said not their problem. I will never buy Kia again.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Love love love this car

I never want to stop driving this car. Everytime i get in i don't want to get out. Great in size but still so zippy. Heaps of power. Really comfortable. Only downside is visibility to the left of the car past the front passsenger seat through to back window. Great on fuel.

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Sorento crdi 2018

Great car for the price, this is an update from our 2012 Sorento and the extra features and performance is great. car details is just getting better and changes in the suspension was the main purchase as the 2012 model did a diff and a pinion bearing at the end of warranty

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Great family car

It’s hard to find a car that meets all of your needs. I had to travel a fair distance regularly and needed space for luggage and passengers, with occasional towing. I wanted safety, comfort and reliability. The Sorento has all of these. If people were not so hung up on badge snobbery, there would be a lot more on the road. For those of us that have one, we can just smile to ourselves knowing the good value vehicle we have. My only complaint would be a shortage of Kia Service Centres, and the sound system is not brilliant. But everything else is great. i have the Diesel and average 7.6l/100 that’s on hilly roads.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Im having issues with oil burning, no drips or evidence of leak, what is happening they have done an oil survey but now say they don't care! This is my second Sorento and it has been nothing but trouble. 2012 What can I do?

I have a an 18’6” tandem axel poptop caravan and would like to know how the vehicle will perform when towing and approx lt per 100ks
I’d be more concerned about the weights the Sorrento is rated as towing a max of 2000kg with a 100kg towball weight. Most vans would be close to or over this. We don’t tow with ours so I can’t comment on fuel usage sorry

Hi, I am seriously considering a Sorento. It was mentioned previously that it has a DPF. I understand that the Santa Fe with an identical drive train does not have a DPF. Would someone please clear this up for me please? Furthermore, does any one know if the Hyundai Tucson has a DPF?

Kia Sorento UM AO Edition 2WD, 3.5L Petrol, Automatic (2018-2019)Kia Sorento UM AO Edition AWD, 2.2L Diesel, Automatic (2018-2019)Kia Sorento UM Si AWD, 2.2L Diesel, Automatic (2015-2019)Kia Sorento UM Si 2WD, 3.5L Petrol, Automatic (2015-2019)Kia Sorento UM Sport AWD, 2.2L Diesel, Automatic (2017-2019)Kia Sorento UM Sport 2WD, 3.5L Petrol, Automatic (2017-2019)Kia Sorento UM SLi AWD, 2.2L Diesel, Automatic (2015-2019)Kia Sorento UM SLi 2WD, 3.5L Petrol, Automatic (2015-2019)Kia Sorento UM GT-Line 2WD, 3.5L Petrol, Automatic (2016-2019)Kia Sorento UM GT-Line AWD, 2.2L Diesel, Automatic (2016-2019)Kia Sorento UM Si Limited AWD, 2.2L Diesel, Automatic (2017)Kia Sorento UM Si Limited 2WD, 3.3L Diesel, Automatic (2017)Kia Sorento UM Platinum (2015-2017)Kia Sorento XM Si (2009-2014)Kia Sorento XM SLi (2009-2014)Kia Sorento XM Platinum (2009-2014)Kia Sorento Xm SLi Global Circuit (2012)Kia Sorento XM Platinum Global Circuit (2012)Kia Sorento BL (2003-2009)
CategoryLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVsLarge / 7 Seater SUVs
Starting Price $43,990$46,490$55,221$51,546$53,121$49,446$55,221$51,546$60,471$64,146
TransmissionAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomaticAutomatic
Drive TypeFront Wheel Drive (FWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)Front Wheel Drive (FWD)All Wheel Drive (AWD)
Fuel TypePetrolDieselDieselPetrolDieselPetrolPetrolDieselPetrolDieselDiesel
Wheels18" Alloy18" Alloy17" Alloy17" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy19" Alloy19" Alloy18" Alloy18" Alloy19" Alloy
ANCAP Safety Rating5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars5 Stars
Doors5555555555555555555
Seats7777777777777777775
Fuel Consumption10 L/100km7.2 L/100km7.2 L/100km10 L/100km7.2 L/100km10 L/100km7.2 L/100km10 L/100km10 L/100km7.2 L/100km7.8 L/100km9.9 L/100km7.8 L/100km
Fuel Tank Capacity 71 L71 L71 L71 L71 L71 L71 L71 L71 L71 L71 L71 L71 L80 L
Engine6 Cylinder 3.5L4 Cylinder 2.2L4 Cylinder 2.2L6 Cylinder 3.5L4 Cylinder 2.2L6 Cylinder 3.5L4 Cylinder 2.2L6 Cylinder 3.5L6 Cylinder 3.5L4 Cylinder 2.2L4 Cylinder 2.2L6 Cylinder 3.3L4 Cylinder 2.2L
Max Power206kW @ 6300rpm147kW @ 3800rpm147kW @ 3800rpm206kW @ 6300rpm147kW @ 3800rpm206kW @ 6300rpm147kW @ 3800rpm206kW @ 6300rpm206kW @ 6300rpm147kW @ 3800rpm147kW @ 3800rpm199kW @ 6400rpm147kW @ 3800rpm
Max Torque336Nm @ 5000rpm441Nm @ 1750-2750rpm441Nm @ 1750-2750rpm336Nm @ 5000rpm441Nm @ 1750-2750rpm336Nm @ 5000rpm441Nm @ 1750-2750rpm336Nm @ 5000rpm336Nm @ 5000rpm441Nm @ 1750-2750rpm441Nm @ 1750-2750rpm318Nm @ 5300rpm441Nm @ 1750-2750rpm
Country of ManufactureSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth KoreaSouth Korea
Safety Features
  • Heated Seats
  • Heated Steering Wheel
  • Sunroof
  • Voice Control
Ground Clearance185 mm185 mm185 mm185 mm185 mm185 mm185 mm185 mm185 mm185 mm185 mm185 mm185 mm
Maximum Towing Capacity (braked)2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg2,000 kg
Maximum Towing Capacity (unbraked)750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg750 kg
Manufacturer Warranty7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)7 year(s)
Release dateNov 2018Nov 2018Jun 2015Jun 2015Oct 2017Oct 2017Oct 2015Oct 2015Oct 2016Oct 2016May 2017May 2017Oct 2015Oct 2009Oct 2009Oct 2009Aug 2012Aug 2012Feb 2003
Discontinuation dateDec 2017Dec 2017Dec 2017Dec 2014Dec 2014Dec 2014Dec 2012Dec 2012Dec 2009
Replaced byKia Sorento UMKia Sorento UMKia Sorento UMKia Sorento UMKia Sorento UM