Nissan Patrol

Y62 Patrol V8 Power

Have now owned my patrol for over a year now and love it! awesome to drive and tow with. gets better fuel economy than my old zd30. very comfy and now have convinced 3 others to buy one love it

Purchased in May 2018 for $46,000.00.

BoughtUsed

love our nissan patrol

Purchased a new Patrol 6 months ago to pull our 2.8 ton van. Our old tow vehicle, a trusty turbo diesel Landcruiser which had been great but getting a bit long in the tooth. Did extensive research re the new cruiser and the patrol. The cruiser with the same equipment was $30000 more than the patrol. Have now covered 7000ks and unable to fault the patrol. Only down side is the foot operated park brake. Fuel use is better than the cruiser diesel. (Averaging 19.6/100lt towing the van compared with 22 with the cruiser). Great to drive around town. I am a lead foot and love the get up and go at the lights from a 2.8 ton rig.

Purchased in August 2018 for $76,000.00.

I love this car!!

Honestly I wish I could buy two! Best car I’ve ever owned! Love love love it!!! Average fuel consumption is about 13 per 100 which is better than my v6 Colorado :)

Purchased in June 2018 for $54,000.00.

BoughtUsed
Comfort

Oustanding vehicle in every respect

I bought this car in preference to a Toyota Sahara which was far over priced and in my opinion inferior in every way to the Y62 Patrol. The engine is unparralled in a 4 wheel drive, is smooth as silk and awesomely powerful. The many standard features leave the Toyota’s for dead. Note that I was formally a Toyota driver but could not justify as extra $40,000 for a Sahara to a Toyota badge, which is the only difference I could see. I love this car and plan to use it to tow a caravan in the future. In my view $iesel is dead as they will not be able to meet the pollution laws in the near future.

Date PurchasedDec 2018
Drive4WD

Amazing car i'd buy it again tomorrow.

Ok I've been a Nissan person for years and owned every 4x4 Nissan has built just about., so when the family started to get bigger so did the car. We had a Qashqai and NP300 Navara, both cars i loved for different reasons but both far to narrow for 2 kids seats and a 3rd person in-between. So we went car hunting from LC200 and Infinity QX80 some larger US cars then ended up ordering a Patrol without even test driving one. We then booked a test drive after paying a deposit and at the better part of 100k the wife got nervous. So test drive day comes along and my wife does the driving she starts the car and the smile was instant, the soft but present growl when the y62 starts is an amazing sound of power, not like a club sport Commodore thats just noisy and loud, its gentle yet gives the sense there is some serious grunt there. Ok so my wife drives it out of the dealership never having driven a V8 ( as all our last cars have been TD and the reason we never had a y62 ) she puts her foot down as she was used to in the QQ and NP300 and the smile got bigger as the Y62 has some go i mean some real get up n go ( We get 5.1 seconds 0-100 on 98% about 5.8 on 95% ) so after 10 minutes of driving she is more than sold on the car its got space some leg room others can only dream of, its quiet inside real quite to appreciate the V8 sound you have to let the windows down. The Bose sound is so clear and full it makes most other cars sound cheap and pitiful.

We have owned it for 8 months now and done 30000KM and loved every meter of driving its brought back my enjoyment for driving long distances. Is it thirsty? if you plant your foot it can drink like a alcoholic at happy hour. can it be driven be fuel efficient? yes it can we get awesome milage out of it up to 900 per tank at 140L not bad for a 3T car with 400 horses to tame. We all know horses are not cheap but you don't hear XR8 or Clubsport drivers complaining about milage they buy the cars for love and passion, I suggest buying a Y62 for the same reason. Seems Aussies are tough a 4Xa needs to be Diesel and I was the same, the Patrol has taught me different.

We have taken it on the beach and off road and she handles the same like a camel. On a small windy track in soft deep sand we came around a bend to find a Mitsubishi ASX beached n belly up with nowhere to go. so with 20inch wheels installed running 42PSI we hooked up the ASX turned of traction control put it in revers and skull dragged the mistsy out like it wasn't even hooked up.

On and off road the Patrol is comfortable and quite you don't have to yell to have a conversation with fellow passengers in the car. the seats with their heating and cooling covered in a plush leather are nothing short of incredible over long distances i mean i drive until i need fuel sometimes that means 6-8 hours without getting out and I'm never sore. to instruments are well placed and very easy to use.

Has the car got cons? sure it has while i love the entertainment system with its headrest monitors the layout of the HDMI and USB to play movies off is kind of stupid as both plugs are where the middle person in the rear puts their feet. We have broken numerous USB sticks and HDMI leads as they get kicked and trodden on so we actually bought DVD's for the kids again as they are loaded in the front.

The Ti-L has a few features I've fallen in love with the smart Cruise control its fantastic and works perfect. The automatic boot lid opening and closing. The extra safety feature do make the car 50 - 60 KG heavier then a Ti and you loose the 8th seat but is so worth the upgrade.

We Bought fitted carpets from aliexpress best $200 ever spent on a car they fit perfect, look classy and are so easy to keep clean. We fitted bronze 20" rims with Monsta Gripper tyres with the writing facing in to keep the classy look of the car ( OK the wood grain looks c-rap and new rich cheap wanna be high class but isn't.... but can be covered in vinyl to look good ) so with minimal aftermarket things done to the car it in my opinion makes the Y62 one if not the best looking cars not just SUV's on the market. I find the LC200 is a nice looking car on the outside but Toyota has a lot to learn on the inside they should look at there own Lexus branch for ideas.

The patrol handles like a sports car when you expect it to roll and be top heavy in the corners its anything but and corners like its on rails. Nissan has really out done itself on the suspension on the Y62 it corners and handle any pothole like they are not even there.

Towing is a dream with this Patrol, we have a toy hauler that when fully loaded is easy 3.5T and i say you could take its wheels of and drag it behind the patrol and still not know its there. Uphill still pulling 100KMH with ease, no swaying side to side, no jerking under braking its just smooth sailing. Fuel economy with 3.5T in tow is almost the same as with no van on the back. Same can not be said for any TD be it Land Rover or Land Cruiser as soon as you tow the drink way more than the Nissan. Ive you're a frequent traveler with a van, do yourself a favour and go out and try a Patrol

Fast food drive throughs can be a little narrow but thanks to Nissans awesome camera system its very easy to navigate this big car through without hitting the cutters on each side.

In short I'd buy the Patrol in a heart beat again only real draw back is what next as i don't think ill be able to top this car anything else would just be a disappointment.....

Pros
Comfort
Handeling
Sound Quality
Room even with 3rd row seats up
Towing
Parking
long drives

Cons
HDMI / USB connection placement
Original wheels ( Never seen an 18" wheel look so small and out of place )
Will be har to replace and be happy.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Avoid this vehicle

The 3 litre is known as the ticking time bomb. There might be a fix for this but the one I owned blew an intercooler, overheated on hills, and was generally a pain. The suspension was very hard even when the tyres were let down. Needs adjustable shocks or something. Not buying another Patrol.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

good car but dealer ordinary

I love the car but find all car dealers of most brands poor, Nissan were likewise poor and spoilt the experience, best I have had was Ford for a work car, The patrol is really BIG and takes some getting used to but I love the power and the car is a great touring car, Petrol is expensive but not a major concern, I am generally really happy and don't miss the Landcruiser and have lost confidence in late model Toyota diesels, The price of Landcruisers is now crazy and I saved about $28k

Date PurchasedAug 2018

Stunning car in terms of performance, capabilities and features

I was looking at Landcruisers but decided to also test drive the new Patrol. The space and layout was better and the financial decision made sense. At around $15,000 less than a Landcruiser it had everything like tri zone climate control, 8 seats, 7 speed auto, 360 degree birds eye cameras, rear diff lock, HBMC suspension, leather, tyre pressure sensors, GPS navigation and handsfree voice dialling and GPS control. The power is amazing and the fuel economy is significantly improved in the series 4.

Purchased in May 2018.

Comfort

Patrol 5.6 V8 Petrol Fabulous for all driving conditions.

Bought Patrol 2018. Just drove it to Kakadu and Litchfield from Adelaide towing 3.5 ton 25ft caravan. Wow what can I say. Just pulled the van no probs with fabulous V8 power when passing. Averaged 20 litres/100kms when towing. So quiet on petrol and just so comfortable and roomy.
When 4WD driving drove so smooth over gravel and ruts and through creeks without any difficulty.
Really love having the Patrol and recommend it to anyone thinking of changing to one. You won’t be disappointed I can guarantee that.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Awesome 4x4

I owned a 1999 4.2D (NA, manual) and now own a 2006 4.8 GRX (auto). The diesel was a real hardcore 4x4, also used to go on family holidays due to the great load capacity and the ability to take abuse inside and out. I serviced the diesel myself (very cheap and simple to maintain) and two words describe it...indestructible and reliable. Not the most comfortable ride as I had 33" tyres, 4"lift and heaps of aftermarket gear fitted, but a fearless machine which will never let you down. That said, only if you look after them, like anything in life really.

The 4.8 GRX is fantastic. Lovely to drive, very spacious and comfy inside, yet keeping it simple which in turn means greater reliability (less electrical gremlins to worry about). If you're a semi competent diy'er, basic maintenance is also a breeze and parts are plenty, so cheap to maintain. Overall the best large 4x4 in my biased opinion:) I've owned a Land Cruiser 100 which is also a really great car, so comparing the two I'd say the Landcruiser is marginally more refined on the road, whereas the Patrol beats the LC doing 4x4'ing and harsh overland trips.
Only negative with the 4.8 is the obvious fuel consumption. Do not purchase if you're concerned about fuel usage.

When purchasing a used Patrol, besides the usual checks, have a good look for rust (engine bay, roof gutters, etc). If they're not looked after, it can be an issue, specially along the roof gutters.
The 3L diesels before 2005 don't have a great reputation due to the engines blowing up. This shouldn't influence your decision to get a 4.2D, 4.5 and 4.8 petrol.

BadgeGRX
Engine Size4.8
Date PurchasedDec 2017

Best 4x4 on the market hands down!

Amazingly comfortable, can fit 7 adults easily.
Power!! Need I say more?
Fuel economy, 10L/100 highway. 20L/100 towing 3.5T
Hands down the best 7 seat true 4x4 on the market. My only regret is not buying one sooner.
Do yourself a favour and test drive one, then tell us what colour u ordered.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Nissan dealer

I got my Nissan patrol brand new at Bunbury Nissan, Australia.

I realised that the USB port was looking a bit strange and when I tried to charge my phone it didn’t fit properly.

I took back there and the guy that sold the car tried to tell me that some how it was my flat...he told me that he was going to fix and probably it would have to change all the radio.

I left there and when I pick up it was all the same.

I tried to get around and get the thing fixed but the guys didn’t help me at all.

I never went back there not even for a service

BodyCab Chassis
Date PurchasedOct 2012

Great, power, comfort and not as thirsty as many make out

A beautiful driving machine, quiet and smooth it is effortless to drive. Massive and roomy inside the petrol V8 is a pleasure to drive. Value for money is unbelievable and fuel economy i have been getting is around 12.5L/100kms highway and 14.5L/100kms dotting around town. The omly things i miss are heated seats and auto tailgate, which are TiL spec. Price was a whopping $30k lower than comparible spec 200 VX amd no diesel/injector worries.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Prerfection

After owning a Landcrusier, we thought we would try something different, and couldnt be happier with the Nissan Patrol, stylish to look at and the comfort inside is second to none, totally in love with it. Driving in style and comfort is a must, and this car so far ticks all the boxes.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Y62 patrol running costs are pleasantly surprising

I am surprised by the running costs of the V8 Y62 patrol. Previously I had the Y61 Patrol which was a diesel vehicle d my running costs worked out at 84 cents per kilometer. This was calculated by total costs and divided by the number of kilometers travelled. In short around town it got 16.5 ltrs/100km and on the open road 12.5 ltrs/ 100km.

The new Y62 patrol with the V8 engine has worked out at 65 cents per kilometer and it uses 18.5ltrs/100km around town and 10.2 ltres/100km on the open road. You notice a big difference on the open road where you are only doing 1599 rpm at 100km per hour and the vehicle has the power to hold this on hills where the old diesel vehicle dropped back to 2nd gear at 3000 rpm . The ride is much quieter and the handling on the open road is flat and stable, the brakes seem to pull up faster than the old vehicle.

The only problem I have had was the satnav device gave intermittent sdcard read error but Nissan to their credit sorted this out after the 3rd visit.

I an very happy with this vehicle

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Best 4x4 out!

Beautiful to drive, goes extremely well for a 2.7 tonne car. Also has like 500nm at 1600rpm and then 560nm at 4000rpm - very very good torque curve. Beats most diesel 4x4's in torque alone.
The inside is extremely roomy and comfortable and has absolutely no rattles or squeaks. Dash is a bit out dated as it's been the same for nearly 10 years now, but still nice with GPS and three zone climate control etc.
It's reliability is extraordinary for a modern vehicle, but that's partly due to minimal moving parts and a lower pressure fuel system than most other 4x4's.
Offroad it's surprisingly capable as well and will surely impress.
For a little over 70k it is extremely hard to fault. I think the only issue we've had is the little towball lock bolt and nut came out and that's literally it.

Date PurchasedJul 2016

"Lemon"?

Excellent towing and climbing with stop holding ability on steep loose rocky and slippery grassy slopes. Comfortable driving. Appointments good. Easy manual gear change. Reasonable economy. Easy access. BUT, Brakes failed during emergency when car cut into my safety space. Near nose to tail. foot flat to floor, rapid hand brake use. Faulty master cylinder replaced. Air con. failed. Faulty seals replaced. Now no clutch. Worn out at 19000K. What will be next? All confidence in vehicle lost. Heavy Duty Clutch installed at my expense, Major performance difference.

Purchased in May 2017 at Neil Beer Nissan, Seymour, Vic for $57,110.00.

Comfort

Sold.... Can't wait to get another!

I purchased my Y62 TI-L in 2014 back when everyone said they were crap, they said it was heavy on fuel... They said a lot about them but clearly didn't know anything about them. I sold mine with just under 100,000klm for close to what I purchased the car for. It was a trouble free vehicle that towed effortlessly the wife and kids want another one and so do I. I only sold it as I update my vehicles every 3 years but I don't think the current land cruiser is going to last me this round, it's back to nissan for us. I can't explain why it just was a great car, very comfortable on long trips for everyone and fuel use on the freeway was averaging 13/100.

Date PurchasedOct 2014

Perfect for offroading

Despite the bad rep ZD30 Nissan Patrol's have been getting since they were first released into the market, they really aren't a "lemon" as so many others say. In my personal experience, with a few preventative mods (EGR Block, Dawes Valves, Catch Can, Glow Plug Timer Mod) and good maintenance, they really are extremely capable, reliable and remarkable offroad/towing vehicles. Especially since they are among the last 4WDs with solid axles rather than IFS.

Now I'm not a hardcore professional 4WD driver and expert but with my Patrol, but I can honestly say in my personal experience I have never been bogged...yet

Date PurchasedAug 2016

One of the last proper 4wds

Coming from a Jackaroo I almost took a step back in luxury. However i am now in a new breed of reliability and well built. The My Nissan program also helps. From factory this went just as far as any other lifted and modified car went, and did it with ease. It is truly sad that due to emission reasons we can no longer get these in Australia. Unfortunatly there is a small engine in a big car (4 Cylinder, 3L Turbo Diesel)), and it doesn't have a lot of acceleration. However the transfer case and running gear is second to none. Very easy to swap out the factory stereo for something more technical as any double din will fit. Being solid front axle the drive isn't as smooth on road as other modern IFS vehicles, but it handles itself well.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017