Nectre Big Baker Oven

3.3
  • Product is used
  • Safety
  • Preheating Speed
  • Heating Speed1/5 - 5/5 (11)
  • Temperature Consistency

Christ Bergs
Christ BergsNortheast, VIC

NBBO: One of the best purchases ever!

Purchased in February 2019 for $3,600.00.

Sandy
SandyMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Mislead and dissatisfied. 2018 glen dimplex bought the Netre brand. Not the great product it was. We want a refund.

This gap... fire never shuts. Small wood burns to ash very quickly. Very messy. No coals. Slow oven heating. Dirty Smoke emits into living space when vents are closed bad smell. Headaches scratchy eyes. We want a refund.

Purchased in May 2021 at Horizon for $3,800.00.

matt
mattGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Small Fire box

I am super disappointed with this oven. The firebox is tiny and cannot fit a log more than 230mm in it. The instructions say to put logs in at a 90-degree angle to the door. Well, when you buy wood it comes in cut lengths of approx 300mm/ They do not fit. I have approx 10 tonne of wood that will not fit. All I can do is put a log in sideways which is a pain in the backside as it is not enough to keep the fire burning long as I can only put 1 decent log in at a time.

Purchased in May 2021 at Woodpecker Heating and Cooling Retail for $5,000.00.

Anna F.
Anna F.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Love my Nectre Bakers Oven

I’ve had my Nectre Bakers Oven for over 15 years. I absolutely love it. It heats the whole house up. I bake everything in it and on it. It bakes all the oven food evenly and with a great smokey flavour. I also dry all my washing in front of it during winter. The quality and make of this oven is supreme. It has been the best investment for my house and livelihood.

Purchased in April 2006 at Adelaide Nectre Oven.

Fails in all areas

Heater was missing parts but authorised installer says all complete. Whistles like crazy and leaks smoke through the 2 little lids that have holes in them. Rang the agent (overseas product) told them the problem says ring back no answer, emailed them no answer, spoke with installer about leaking smoke issues say he cant help! If you prepared to put up with this it heats okay.

Purchased in May 2020 at through authorised installer in Warnnambool for $3,200.00.

Hi Graham,
happy to do so as long as it is not the authorised installer for the area!

Graham A.Nectre

Hi Mike, happy to help, i will be in touch shortly

Graham

The best kitchen appliances in 2020!

Nathan S.1 Nov 2019
the-best-kitchen-appliances-in-2020

Best Fridges and Dishwashers in 2020!

Wendy Z.12 Nov 2019
best-fridges-and-dishwashers-in-2020

Avleen M.
Avleen M.23 July 2021
Barry
BarryWheatbelt, WA

Ten good years

I have had my Bakers oven for over ten years.We have it alight almost 24hrs during winter and into the spring.It cooks wonderfull and spreads a good amount of heat around the house.I installed it myself as we are out of town with no issues at all. Barry WA

Purchased at Hearth House.

Michael W.
Michael W.Greater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Great

Not sure what some of the other reviewers on about, this is a great heater for heating & cooking, roasts turn out perfect, slow cook on top, good heat output & efficient to boot, what more do u want!
I added an extra length of flue because it was close to an existing chimney, this made it breath much better so if your having problems with yours try this.
We have an existing ceiling fan in the same room which really helps distribute the heat around the house. Not saying it heats the whole house evenly, which wood heater does?
All in all we are very happy with the purchase

Purchased in June 2020 at fire&flues for $3,400.00.

Paul BSouth West, WA

Big Bakers Disapointment

I believe there is a serious design problem with this fire and it should be withdrawn from the market. We have followed all the install instructions, length of flue, height above roof, Venturi cowling fitted, dry wood burnt but still doesn’t work properly. Basically as soon as the flue damper is closed the fire stops drawing. Because of the design you cannot clean the sides where the fire circulates around the oven, so if there is a blockage your stuck with it! As far as the oven is concerned you couldn’t keep a pie warm let alone cook one. This fire is not a cheap purchase and value for money is definitely zero.

Purchased in September 2019 for $2,900.00.

Nicolas G.Nectre

6 Years using the Nectre Bakers Oven

Purchased in June 2014.

Preheating Speed

Richard D.South Australia

Excellent heater and cooker, but had a learning curve if you are not familiar with wood stoves.

Purchased in February 2020 at Mitre 10 for $3,799.00.

After one winter leaks smoke BAD at top seams.

I used this stove for one winter. The second winter it started leaking a lot of smoke at the top seam of the sidewalls - big cracks there, I spent the second winter trying to putty the cracks but no success so pretty much unusable after one year of use. Very disappointed! I thought this was a decent quality brand,and paid a lot for the installation, too. The stove is in my kitchen.

Purchased in November 2017 for $3,149.00.

Nicolas G.Nectre

Morning Pat,
Apologize for the issue you are having with the unit. Please call us on 1300 554 155 and we will be able to advise further .

Margaret E.

Nectre bakers oven must have got the lemon

Within less than year (through summer) rust had developed on the top of the fire and the top door mechanism. The damper top rear had ceased prob rust! The whole damper mechanism was replaced and the door freed and rust scrubbed out. Now the rear damper has ceased again and the door mechanism has ceased again. Not happy thinking about a combustion stove that will burn through the night - these are not combustion ! This will be more use than an oven that is hard to regulate the temp in! Burns through wood at an incredible rate and now hard to regulate. Puts out mega heat though!

Purchased in August 2017 for $3,000.00.

GLEN D.Nectre
Typicalredhed
TypicalredhedSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great little cooker and heats whole house.

Purchased in April 2019 for $2,800.00.

JessVMelbourne

No regrets on purchasing

Date PurchasedJune 2015

Other Wood Heaters

Very good, I'll be putting one in the next house that we're planning.

I put one of these in the house that is now our Daughters family home, its great, we had no problem with soot buildup, cooked on it regularly, found it economical to run and a very effective heater for the 80 sq metre house.
If we ran it for two hours in the evening the stove would still be warm enough to have the house warm in the morning.

Date PurchasedFeb 2010

Nori
Noriasked

Can you use upper fire room for cooking so it has more smoky flavor on the food? I really like the smoky flavor on food when you cook within a wood stove. So was wondering if you get the same kind of smoky flavor by using the lower cooking pit.

Richard D.

You could cook in a well burned down fire mostly being hot coals just like any large slow combustion fire will cope with, but it's just cooking in the coals - not an oven... You could slightly displace the cover on the bottom of the oven section to gain some smokiness, but the oven was not designed to allow fire gases directly into the cooking area.

Paul Basked

This is the first full winter we have used the fire and to say it’s performance is useless would be an understatement! I have sent two previous e mails asking for assistance on how to fix (if possible) this issue but have had no reply? Basically as soon as we shut the flue damper the fire stops working, the oven wouldn’t keep a pie warm let alone cook something. The flue is 5 metres tall with a Venturi cowling on top, we use dry jarrah, I have cleaned the bottom of the oven for creosote, basically run out of ideas. Have I bought a dud or are they all the same?

Richard D.

We have been really happy with ours, so your experience seems very unfortunate. Did you buy the stove directly from Nectre, or a store or agent if some kind? I'd be suggesting first to see if the flue is not too small in size, ours is 6" or whatever the equivalent in metric. We found the old cap was too restrictive, and updated to one with plenty of flow. Check that your flue is not extending too far into the cap and restricting flow that way - I have seen that in the past... 5m should be plenty to get a good draft going as long as the size is right and no restrictions up top... Has the oven setting ever worked? We have taken a surprising amount of stuff from the rear of the under oven area the first time we cleaned ours out and realised that had slowed our flow significantly. These don't roar much with the air intakes shut down on oven setting, but they do crank right up if you forget and leave things wide open in our experience...

Paul B

Hi Richard thanks for the feedback. The fire was bought from a store. The flue is 6 inches and we have changed the original Cap to a Venturi type which is supposed to improve the draught. Have cleaned out the bottom of the oven regularly, no change. Still think I have a lemon. Have contacted Nectre twice with no reply which makes me think this is not the first time they have had this reported.

GlenF
GlenF

Hi Paul. Hope you don’t mind me adding some brief ideas. We’ve had the Bakers Oven for 6 years, not the big one, but I’m guessing they’re virtually the same. We’ve found the “fire shutdown” situation you’re describing occurs when the fire is lit but not allowed to get hot enough before shutting the damper (redirect to oven). Generally all pieces of wood, especially large or damp pieces, want to be burning well for a newly started fire. Its a lot more tolerant when everything is hot. A hot chimney draws better also. We let it go for 10 minutes once hot, then pull the damper shut and it goes well then. Seasoned dry wood gets the best results. Damp or unseasoned wood will cause a lot of grief and frustration, particularly when lighting.

I just had a look at the manual for the Big Bakers Oven and it appears it has additional controls. The manual says “Fully open air controls (slide top and bottom air slides to the left, push bypass damper handle towards rear).” Just make sure they are all open as stated when starting the fire to allow enough draft to get the fire going. Closing the Bypass damper is what makes the heat go down and around the oven section.
As a quick chimney test get some scrap paper and a cardboard box. Tear the box up into pieces. Start the fire with paper and add cardboard as it gets going. Leave the damper open for whole test. The fire should come to life quickly and the cardboard gives you some time to see how the fire is drawing. If any smoke tries to come out the door just close it to encourage smoke to go up the chimney. It should draw well and you should see all the smoke go up the chimney as the fire burns very enthusiastically. If that test goes well you can probably rule out the chimney as the problem as the damper vents directly into the chimney.
If the chimney test goes well that leaves some kind of issue with the oven or wood.
Make sure wood is dry and seasoned.
Any kind of packing material left in the fire from installation?
To test the Bakers Oven I’d get the fire going, this time light it properly using wood, leaving the bypass damper open until the fire is well established (leave it open for 10 minutes after all logs are burning well - this will get the flu hot to help draft). Make sure the top and bottom air slides are fully open to allow maximum air flow for the whole test.
Once its hot and burning well close the bypass damper. At this point our fire always dims a little as it adjusts to the new path all the air has to take to exit around the oven and into the chimney. If the fire was going well prior to closing the bypass damper it should take around 15 minutes to return to its previous level of intensity. Until the bypass damper is closed most of the heat simply goes up the chimney, but once its closed you will gradually feel the heat build up on the outside of the oven. For us it takes approximately 1 hour to go from an unlit fire to a usable oven.
The oven can get screaming hot, over 300 degrees C if you let it. Don’t rely on the thermometer as it doesn’t read accurately, and usually the top of the oven is far hotter than the bottom.
Stick at it as they are great fires. It’s either a brief learning curve or some small issue that your installer can quickly fix. Hope this helps somewhat.
If interested you can see the article I wrote the other day for a general guide to our 6 year experience with the Nectre Bakers Oven.

carol
carolasked

nectre baker oven is same as nectre big baker oven???

JessV

Same but a smaller version. I have the big bakers oven and couldn't imagine using a smaller one.

GLEN D.Nectre

There are two models, the original smaller Bakers Oven and also the Big Bakers Oven

See all Nectre Big Baker Oven questions

Get an answer from our members and Nectre representatives

CategoryFreestanding Ovens and Wood Heaters