Pros

• Clear video quality

• Easy installation

Cons

• Susceptible to false triggers

• Unreliable connection

• Delayed live viewing

• Short battery life

• Undependable geofencing feature

• App updates sometimes worsen functionality

• Night Vision
  • Motion Detection
  • Ease of Installation
  • Connectivity / Reliability

Don’t waste your money.

Worked okay initially. Huge lag between motion and notifications though. Just out of the 12 month warranty first camera battery stopped charging. Then camera stopped. Second camera now dead too.

Purchased in February 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Glenn

GlennPerth, WA

Arlo Pro 2 - Be Wary

Purchased in March 2021.

Ian E.

Ian E.New South Wales

Bad value for money

First thing is that Arlo don't tell you about the subscription you need to sign up to for some $15 per month for software that doesn't work. The app is clunky and is a little all over the place, the connection from your device to the cameras is slow and sometimes cameras just drop offline for no apparent reason. Picture quality is OK as long as you don't need to zoom in and the night vision is useless. I wouldn't recommend Arlo, there are better camera systems out there that are much better value for money.

Purchased in February 2021 for $1,000.00.

Waste of money

When working (!) the system works well. However, I have problems at least once a month where the cameras won't record even though motion is detected. I have tried all the "repair" suggestions on the help pages to no avail. I basically leave it for a day or two and it seems to rectify itself. That suggests to me it is a problem at Arlos end. The cameras are effective (when working) but the reliability of the system lets it down. I regret buying the product

Functionality
Connectivity / Reliability
Scotland

ScotlandAdelaide

Does not work when you need it to

Purchased in December 2019 at The Good Guys for $637.00.

Often stops working

First, good points. Has fairly decent night vision. Bad points. Rain sets it off. Cars on street set it off even when sensitivity set very low. Goes off line often. Resetting has to be done over and over to reconnect system. This time it stopped and I’ve tried the Arlo sequence probably 10 times including completely uninstalling and reinstalling several times. That means getting the ladder out each time to reach the camera to sync it.
I’m shutting it off for a day or two. If I can’t reset it, I’m done with it and looking for a new unit other than Arlo. Next time I’ll look closer at reviews and be more choosy if I decide to try a camera ever again.

Purchased in January 2020.

PaulPerth, WA

Connectivity / Reliability
Mark

Mark

Overpriced toy cameras

Purchased in November 2020.

Useless

Had 5 cameras for a year. OK at first but now terrible. Software has been updated and now you have to spend money every month to get basic functionality. 2 level authentication is extremely annoying

Purchased in September 2019.

5 STAR SYSTEM - HIGHLY RECOMMEND

Had previously bought Swann wifi cameras that were useless. Arlo pro 2 far superior in pairing, setting, app and functionality. Have a 600m2 house and yard and all three cameras work most excellently.

Purchased in October 2020 for $600.00.

Kris

KrisGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Unreliable and Misinformed

Bought the Wireless Arlo security system with 4 cameras via RACV. The batteries, were informed will last for 3 months, will only last for 2-4 weeks when active. Useless if need to be recharged every few weeks.

Purchased at RACV.

Fares M.

Fares M.

Not a bad product, but a very bad customer service

It will take you forever to contact the customer service when you have any problem.
And even when you contact them, it will take months to explain your problem and get it fixed, and in the meantime, your security system might be offline.

Purchased in June 2019.

Gay W

Gay WSydney, NSW

Images made too pixelated to use by Arlo firmware update. Hopeless security system.

Purchased for $800.00.

TravelsofOz

TravelsofOzMelbourne

Regretful. Done my homework now I know what to get.

Purchased in March 2020 at Harvey Norman for $999.00.

Tim D.

Tim D.South East Queensland, QLD

Product is good but in the event you have issues support is VERY POOR and hard to deal with

Had my Arlo system 6ish months and been good, however, had issues with the redemption that was offered upon purchase and it took 6 months to get this sorted. Also, I had issues with cloud storage and support did fix it but again very slow going and very hard to deal with the support that was offered.
As a professional tech I deal with organizations all the time and this is by far the worst I have had to date.

BUYER BEWARE. STAY AWAY. WOULDNT RECOMMEND AGAIN

Purchased in November 2019 at Harvey Norman for $1,095.00.

Sue

SueSouth East Queensland, QLD

Home Security

We bought 2 Arlo video cameras for our security around our property, they are incredible picking up people delivering parcels, we can also ask questions and see everyone standing at front door

Clive

Clive

Arlo 2 Pro. The Unreliable security system. Worse than a dog.

Bought 4 camera system + 1 extra in Mid 2018. 2 solar panels. Since then 1 has died. 1 Battery has died. 2 cameras will not record movement only operate manually. 1 solar panel has died. Warranty is 12 months. Extraordinary failure rate across the board.

Purchased in April 2018 at JB Hi-Fi for $1,800.00.

Rebekah

RebekahHobart, TAS

Very expensive security system

Camera has great resolution and you can zoom in. I bought the solar panel for one of the cameras, but it barely makes a difference, as I've had to charge the battery more on the solar panel letterbox camera than the front door cam.
I would not recommend this product, you don't really get what you pay for.

Purchased in January 2020 at Device Deal for $708.00.

Sophia

SophiaChristchurch

Hmmm more cons than pros here

Purchased in July 2019 at Noel Leeming Physical store.

Mark P

Mark PSouth East Queensland, QLD

Now useless after 13 months! Do not waste your hard earnt money! Look elsewhere!

Purchased in November 2018 for $2,100.00.

fred

fredasked

Arlo Pro 2

Frankly I am utterly amazed that there is such a raft of bad press about the Netgear product and it is met with deathly silence from the company.
I am looking for some security gear and Arlo Pro 2 does fit the bill on paper but the risks of buying a lemon are to high.
Does anyone know if it is easy to return the product for a full refund if it doesn't perform as advertised?
Many thanks

Roachyasked

Arlo Pro 2

Why do you not tell customers that you need a good WI-FI plan for these cameras to work well. We have poor WI-FI reception and more than one store and NetGear representative told me it would work fine. tell me what am I missing

Chris
Chris

Seems logical to me. A wifi camera obviously relies on a workable wifi system. Hardly Arlos fault.

Roachy

Chris I had rung the company directly that manufacturers the Arlo Pro 2 and they told me that they work fine even if you have a poor WiFi reception, they have obviously mislead me. Also as I had already mentioned in my review that 2 stores had also told me that they would work well with poor WiFi. So my question is why would an Arlo representative tell me that the WI FI Cameras go well even when WI Fi reception is poor. I believe that they are not educated enough with their product or they just want my money. Are you a representative for Arlo Chris because your response is not very professional if you are a representative and I was asking the question to a representative not to a customer if you are a customer and If you are a representative for Arlos then you need more training on how to speak in a professional manner to the retailer. Maybe I needed to address my concerns to an Arlo representative as it was not to the retailer. To answer your response
“Yes in my opinion it is Arlos fault (your comment) or in my words, It is Arlos obligation to train their staff on their products and give the correct information to the retailer so that the retailer does not make such an expensive mistake in purchasing a product that does not work properly or suit their needs. The reason for my comments is to educate others before they purchase this product. I am very fortunate that research and perseverance is part of who I am and am so pleased that I did as I purchased a wired more affordable camera system and it works well. I’m so pleased that I can warn others to do the same. Sorry Chris if my concerns were not clear enough to you but you may not of read my comment before that. And if you had then you would of fully understood what I was asking. Thanks.

Roachyasked

Arlo Pro 2

Why does nobody tell you that Arlo Pro cameras do not work well if your Wi-Fi Plan is poor and will effect other appliances in your home.

ejr1959
ejr1959

I don't have that experience. I have NBN at the highest speed level.
My experience is that when you do encounter tech support is sheer hell. They do not respond. They do not deliver on promises to send out replacements.

Roachy

Thanks. I agree. I have asked them twice and no response. When I did ring the company they told me that the cameras still work well with poor WiFI. I’m so glad I did my research further and asked a professional alarm guy and he told me not to get them because of my poor reception. Arlo Netgear are one of the worst company’s I have dealt with. They sell these cameras to the supplier and the supplier tells the customer that they work well also even with poor WIFI. They all have poor knowledge about their product. In the end I got a wired camera for quarter of the price and am really happy with it. Heard that you have to change the battery all the time, what a hassle. With the wired its only 6 months to once a year job.

Netgear Arlo Pro 2

Features:

Here’s what Arlo has to say about the Pro 2.

• It records 1080p HD quality video, letting you watch your videos in detail.
  • The system sends instant notifications to your email or smartphone when it detects motion or sound, so you know instantly when something has happened.
  • A 3 second look back feature lets you know what happened right before a triggering event, helping you make sense of the situation.
  • The camera lets you focus on indoor areas where you want to receive motion and sound alerts, so you can keep track of who’s coming through your home’s entry points.
  • With the Pro 2, you have the option to upgrade to 24/7 continuous video recording, giving you flexibility in how you want to secure your home.
  • Flexible powering options mean you can use the Arlo Pro 2 wire-free with a rechargeable battery, or you can plug it into a power outlet to access premium features.
  • If you’re worried about household happenings damaging your security system (or say, you have some unruly kids running around the house), the Pro 2 has an IP65 weather certification, meaning it’s dust tight and is protected against water projected from a nozzle.
  • Two-way audio lets you listen in and talk back via the camera from your smartphone - you don’t even need to get out of bed to answer the door.
  • If you’re looking for some peace of mind before you hit the hay, the camera has a night vision feature.
  • A rechargeable battery and free cloud storage which lets you keep 7 days of motion and sound triggered recordings at a time mean two less ongoing expenses to worry about.
  • You can also connect a USB to the surveillance system for local backup storage, so you can stress less about losing valuable footage.
  • The Arlo Pro 2 has a 100+ decibel smart security siren that’s triggered by motion or sound and is controlled remotely, alerting you (loudly) to any intrusion.
  • If you want your security system to talk to you (we get it, it can get lonely around the house sometimes), the Pro 2 is compatible with smart home devices like Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Apple HomeKit, IFTTT and Stringify.
  • You have the option to buy a 2-camera kit for $598, a 3-camera kit for $798, or 4 cameras for $998.

Points of praise:

• Reviewers said that when it worked, the Arlo Pro 2 camera had clear video quality.
  • They also noted that the set-up process was easy and straightforward.

Pain points:

• Many reviewers said that the Netgear Arlo Pro 2 just wasn’t reliable and went offline often, particularly if you didn’t have a super fast internet connection.
  • They also said that the live viewing was delayed - sometimes by as much as 5-6 seconds.
  • The battery life isn’t great, according to reviewers. While Netgear says it should last 6 months with normal use, some reviewers found themselves recharging their batteries every few weeks.
  • Reviewers also took issue with the geofencing feature, which is supposed to use your location to trigger certain actions (such as opening a garage door when a car approaches it), with some saying it worked 50% of the time, while others said it didn’t work at all.
  • The camera is often set off by false triggers (like rain and cars on the street) even when the sensitivity is set on low, according to some reviewers.
  • The app software was one of the biggest gripes with reviewers, who said that updates to the app caused worsened motion detection, saved recordings to be overwritten, and in some cases, rendered cameras completely nonfunctional.
  • GTIN12: 606449128444 and 606449128529