Oleo-Mac GS 35 C / GS 350 C

Oleo-Mac GS 35 C / GS 350 C

GS 35 C and GS 350 C

See the Best Petrol Chainsaws in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Cheap saw, good performance.

Needing a smaller lighter saw for limb work I bought this on special for $289. Easy starting, good performance even on larger logs. You do need to keep the chain properly adjusted because the narrow bar will often throw the chain if you start to cut a branch on an angle. Would have liked to see the bar retaining housing to have been made of metal instead of plastic, but for that price I really can't complain. Has done a lot of work and still going well.

Date PurchasedApr 2015

A continuation on the bar clearance report

Well I bought a new bar and a new chain. It still had 0.010 clearance so its my own fault as I should have known better. After cutting half a dozen logs ; it gave up. Wouldn't even produce dust even though the blade is still sharp to touch. I replaced it with the bar and chain off my Ozito 14" electric chainsaw and it worked great. But this is about another problem.

The spacer in the adjustment mechanism is made of plastic and it melted. As I think the warranty is worthless, I fixed it myself by replacing it with a short piece of 5/16 copper pipe. But even that problem is not what this report is about.

This report is an answer to why the blade keeps coming loose. I set it up and can only see half a drive link when I pull on it. But after 20 seconds of use there is a loop of chain hanging down about 3/4 of an inch from the bar. I removed the paint on the clamping area of the bar in case that was causing the slippage. Put in a thicker and bigger diameter side washer on the drive sprocket to stop the chain jumping off and cleaned the clutch and sprayed it with belt grip to try and get better drive.

My guess on the looseness of the chain is that the two bolts holding the chain in place are clamping on the plastic cover. There is an aluminium cast section on the inside of the cover - but it fell out. I'll superglue it back in even though there is still 4 years 11 months and 3 weeks left of my useless 5 year warranty. But the force from the nuts has been designed to act on the plastic cover. It needs a couple of metal spacers in the cover so the nuts contact the spacers which in turn contact the aluminium casting which will then contact the bar.

I'm loosing faith in my pretty little Oleo-mac. I'm going to buy two bigger gauge new chains for my bars. An 0.058" for the bar with 0.10" clearance and a 0.063" chain for the bar with 0.017" clearance, after all why bother trying to get a properly built bar, I am better off matching a new chain to the faulty bars. Hopefully it may work.
I don't think I'll buy one of these again and if you already have then I suggest you consider making the same modifications that I had to do.