Olimpia Splendid Piu

Olimpia Splendid Piu

Piu 14, Piu Cube 16, Piu Eco 12 and Piu

See the Best Portable Air Conditioners in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Awesome friend in summers

This aircon makes the room cool in minutes. The size best fits the place and is suitable. It is very nicely designed and fulfils the needs. However, the back pipe needs the place to keep the warm air out.

Purchased in April 2017.

Awful

We’ve kept it on all day, sealed off a small area of room to survive the heat and it’s still sweltering in here. If you stand right in front of it, you feel a cool breeze (albeit weak at best on the highest fan setting) , if you move 1m away from it, you can easily sweat (32 outside 29 inside). Very disappointing to purchase the worst performing portable aircon I have ever owned. Please save yourself the disappointment, do not buy.

Purchased in February 2019 at The Good Guys for $799.00.

Noise Level
Heating / Cooling Speed
Portability
Home Insulation Level Good
Room Type Living/Dining Area

Saved us in the heatwave - highly recommend this portable air con

We bought this from The GoodGuys in Ispwich. It is a compact, quiet, easy to assemble portable air conditioner that can be used in portable mode or permanently placedby have holes created in wlals and the hose fixed in a permanent position.
It has been 35 - 39 degrees inside, however this portable air conditioner calls our loungerrom within 20 minutes making it a pleasant 22 degrees.
It has different modes which are easy to use and a remote control.
The model is quiet even in turbo mode.
Highly recommended

Date PurchasedJan 2019

Perfect for small bedroom

My Evaporative cooler wasn't enough when the temperatures started reaching 44, 45 so my Son turned up this air conditioner. I am pleasantly suprised at how cool it gets my bedroom and how quiet it is.....compared to the evaporative cooler. It is light and easy to manouver and has more than enough exchaust pipe to reach my window. I live in a very dry area so perhaps that is why I havent had to drain any water like other users. I do however agree that fixed vents which point up toward the ceiling are rather annoying, also no swing function, which is why I gave it four stars.

Date PurchasedJan 2019

Good for defined rooms only.

We got ours secondhand after minimal use by first owner.
Seems to work great. We just would have it in a smaller room if we could. We bought a kogan also to combine cool our openended rental house. In our big freaking hot room area we put a plastic lid visor thing over top to try and direct airflow onto us a little before it immediately wafts into ceiling.
Its a bit bulky and oddly shaped so doesnt fit cosily anywhere. (Found out that portables need approx 1metre of space because of hose).
But as stand alone would be aesthetically fine.
We have emptied it once. Was a warning msg on screen. (It kept running though). Husband i lifted onto bench. Apparently it says could be 500ml come out we barely got 100ml. Its pretty light for its size but i did ponder if i was frail person how realistic the process of draining tray would be.
The vent size on ours isnt fully open on the inside we can see that one side in particular has the foam covering approx 2inches which means air coming out is not as we would predict.
Is great for a smaller or contained room.

Date PurchasedOct 2018

Barely adequate

Struggles to lower the temp of a 4m x 4.5m room more than a few degrees. (Makes no impression on a larger room.)
Works only as a source of direct refrigerated air on the body - but even this requires modification as the air vent is un-adjustable and directed towards the ceiling (a piece of cardboard can be placed on top of the unit to direct the air flow horizontally).

The 'window air conveyor outlet' connection to exhaust pipe is flimsy and liable to fall off when attempting to move the unit even slightly.

If you are offered one of these for nothing, it can help you to get to sleep by blowing cold air directly on to you (with assistance of a flattened cereal box). Noting that if it is set on the timer it will make a loud 'clunk' as it switches off which may wake you.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Olimpia Splendid Piu16

Keeps the caravan cool and saves taking out a window to fit a box A/C. This is a refrigerated A/C (not evaporative) and it produces real cooling power with reasonable electricity use. The narrow air flow creates a good cycle of air around the room, as it's designed to do. It has wheels so it's easy to roll out of the way. The expandable hot air exhaust tube is long enough when it's set up near a sliding sash or casement type window. Does not interfere with insect screening. To keep it running efficiently, use dish washing detergent to wash the air filter and then spray it with Glen20 (to stop bacterial growth). Get one and sleep well this summer. 3 Year warranty. Just brilliant.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Worth getting if you have no other options

This certainly does what it's supposed to which is cool a room. Bear in mind it isn't designed to cool large areas. I've only ever used it in a bedroom and it may take half an hour to an hour to get the room to cold but once it does it gets icy cold and stays that way. It can get a little loud on certain settings but if the choice is to sleep in a 40+ degree room that is quiet or a 20 degree room that is a little noisy, I'll take the latter.
Yes, it is heavy and awkward to move around, messing around with the window kit and filling gaps is annoying and it costs a lot to run, but if you have no other options to cool your place then this is still an excellent option to get through an Australian summer.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

It's not perfect and the first one packed up on me

Got one of these for our small shead out the back. The first one lasted a week and had to be returned because it stopped blowing cold air. The second one has faired itself in the heat but at 40 degrees or fails big but when cooling lower temperatures it dose well.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Just got my old friend out of storage!

This is my summer months friend! I love it because it keeps my bedroom icy cold during the hot months and that means sleep! Its not too noisy when its running. Actually, I quite like the white noise it makes. Kind of like being a kid asleep in the back of your parents station wagon (1970s) It works really well and even expels its own water outside - good machine!

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Great results with the PUI 16

I did a LOT of research online and instore before getting this after very ordinary results with an Aldi machine previously. This really is one of the best ones available in Australia. Its not cheap but you get what you pay for. Really did a great job of making the hottest summer days bearable in out lounge - highly recommended!

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Good for a portable aircon

My son needed one of these in his bed room because there was no room for a split wall unit and we didn't have the amount of money at the time to get one. Even tho this is expensive it did the job last summer very well but the power is hogged a little by this aircon

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Best Choice Of The Portables

This little baby is small and compact but provide HUGE amounts of cool air and really saved the day over summer. for us. There are lots of cheaper models but mostly they are not all that effective - I have had lesser ones including the supposedly "good" Aldi model and I can tell you none of them come close to this one in terms of effective cooling. It really can keep a hot lounge room cool on even 40c days and not many can come close to that. Folks, this is the one to get (make sure its the 16 models) if you are after a portable. Really works well.

Great Air con for renting

My wife and I only rent so we needed to look into a mobile Air conditioner and we purchased this one it is an amazing little air con and especially being able to move it from room to room, the controls are really easy to use and understand, and even on the hotest days it went great.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Saved my sanity over summer!

This is one excellent little portable air conditioner! It is reasonably portable (its heavy but on wheels) and comes with a window tube kit which you need to vent outside. Thats means you have to set it up near a window to use it. The hot air goes outside and the cool air comes out the front. It really is cool too! Not lukewarm like those evaporative coolers. It was easily able to bring my hot bedroom down to bearable levels and saved my sanity over summer. I could sleep as I found the noise relaxing but it bothered my wife a bit. Good machine!

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Top level portable cooling

We knew exactly which model to but due to extensive research - the Piu 16. This is one of a few portables that can actually cool a normal sized room on a hot day - most of them claim to but fall short. The Piu met our expectations head on and did excellent service. It comes with a little remote but we didn't bother with that. Just used the switch on the machine. Powerful solid cooling - really really good and relatively quiet too. They are all noisy but this one isnt too bad. Overall I recommend this if you must have a portable.. its very good.

Portable Air-Con In Our Bedroom

We used this most of the time in our bedroom and it did an admiral job. You just hook the window pipes up and away you go! It even come with a simple remote control so I can turn it off and on without getting out of bed. It put out more cold air than I expected from such a neat little machine and was not too noisy - I could sleep with it on just fine. Good unit!

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Does A Great Job In Larger Sapces

We got this after careful research as we have a lounge room that just heats up. It handles a larger space no problem at all and was a pleasure to sit in front of during the summer. It has innovative technology that means instead of having to empty the tank it mists the water into the window hot air pipe. It comes with a not bad remote and a window kit. Overall its expensive but is does a good job

Survived the summer

Knocked a star off because of the noise/dry vacuum feeling, but it can become white noise after a while (to block out neighbours' parties/flight path). I am not good at assembling, but had no problems with my (sash) window and I didn't remove or have to cut the flyscreen either. I used electrical tape and cardboard for the gaps. I move the unit from room to room and shut the door to keep a cool temp. Sometimes I can't be bothered moving it and am still able to cool my entire bedroom/kitchen/living (small 1 bedder) to a reasonable temp, and this is with the PIU 12. Door snakes help and overhead ceiling fans improve performance. It really does cool on a hot day- especially a single room. It means I can stay home or do work in the evenings without escaping to a library or my car or a shopping centre for heat relief.
It doesn't take too long to cool a room either. I have a shower (door closed), go back in my bedroom and it is already very cool - even when the walls are still warm to the touch from those 40 degree days. I had been warned off portable a/cs because of their inefficiency and failure to work, and I now regret not buying one years ago. Yes, I would rather a split system or window unit, but these options are not possible for most renters. The Olimpia got me to sleep and survive through this extremely hot Sydney summer. Electricity bills weren't too bad, and I occasionally kept it on all night. Warning: may not work easily on those wind out/push out windows. The other kinds of windows should be fine.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Great for bedroom

As we have no internal cooling system at home I bought one of these units to cool the bedroom to make sleeping easier during the very hot Perth summer nights, and what a great unit it is. I put it on an hour or so before going to bed and come into a nice cool room prime for sleeping. Highly recommended :)