Philips Shaver Series 5000

Philips Shaver Series 5000

S5086/06, S5210/12, S5290/88, S5380/06, S5550/44 and 2 more

So far a good little shaver

I have been a Philips rotary head electric shaver user for as long as I can remember. I've had a few over the years and I don't use any other shaver at all.

My previous shaver had worn through two sets of blades and I had learnt to sharpen the blades, but also learned they can only be sharpened effectively once or twice, after that they don't stay sharp so I guess the hard metal must be gone. A new set of of genuine Philips blades were going to cast around AUD$140, I paid this kind of price a few years back but not again, I had no idea how long the battery had left in it.

I looked at the normal reviews by users including Product Review and bought the Philips Series 5000 from Costco (cheapest and a life time warranty thrown in for free). It cost $160 which was enough, it would have been easy to spend a lot more but my experience is the expensive models do not represent value for money. I have now been using it every day for a almost 2 weeks and can say it works fine.

Good points - quiet, light and easy to handle, gives a quick but good shave with no scratching or pulling, the charger cord plugs into the shaver not via any intermediate rack, dead easy to clean by rinsing it in the shower, so far the battery is still going on the original charge, has a separate beard trimmer that plugs in the same place as the shaver head and words OK, comes with a protective travel case thats no too big. Philips provide a replacement set of blades which doubles the life of the shaver at no additional cost - nice.

Not so good points - must be cleaned often, no more then every 3 shaves for me or the shaver is too clogged to cut properly, the separate trimmer has no place to store it when travelling. I could not believe the quantity of little boxes inside little boxes used for packaging.

It is a simple shaver that just shaves well, it has a flashing indicator to remind you to clean the heads and another to tell you its time to recharge the battery, I believe this comes on a few shaves short of being flat - we'll see.

If it continues to work as it does now I continue to be happy.

Purchased in August 2019 at Costco ACT, Canberra for $159.00.

Dry Shave
Hi there, Thank you for sharing your experience with our shaver on here. We're happy to hear you've put your trust in our shavers over the years, and that this model has lived up to your expectations. As for your input regarding the packaging and cleaning the shaver, we appreciate it a lot and we're going to forward it to the relevant department. After all, it is what helps us improve our products. Should you ever find yourself in need of assistance, feel free to come back to us. We're always happy to help! Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

This is crap

I have done a review on this product already, on youtube. It doesn't even cut my hairs and wont clean using that "all-in-one" cleaner. It wouldn't even cut the shorter hairs. It takes me 30minutes+ every time I shave and I always end up getting the hand held to finish it off. The instructions were pathetic. Very expensive shaver for a very poor result.

Purchased in May 2018.

Causes Irritation Yes
Wet Shave
Battery Life
Hi Nicholas, thanks for your video and the review, such dedication! We're sorry to hear you're not too fond of the device, though. We have had a look at the video, and we have found some tips that might be of use to you. :-) For example, with the shaver it's important to make rotary and not too fast movements. Also, try not to apply too much pressure, as the hair will be pushed against your skin instead of being shaven off. In case you would like some more assistance, feel free to get in touch with the product specialists via 1300 363 391 (AU) or 0800 658 224 (NZ). Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences. Kind regards, The Philips Australia Team

Excellent shaver at a good price

After many years of using cartridge blade razors with shave oil, and with an extended overseas holiday coming up, I thought I'd treat myself to a battery-operated travel shaver. I've always had quite a heavy beard, and the only real way for me to get a decent all-day shave was to use the aforementioned cartridge razor. However, whilst the result was a close shave (literally!), I'd often nick myself and end up with a sore face.
In my late teens I was given a small Philips twin head battery-operated (4 x AA's) travel shaver (model SC7970, which is probably a heritage item now), which I recently re-discovered when clearing out a drawer. To my surprise it still worked perfectly when I put some batteries in it. It did give me a shave of sorts, but it really wasn't powerful enough for my more mature beard.
Enter the Philips S5630 triple head, wet and dry, rechargeable battery travel shaver, which cost me $149 from The Shaver Shop. This model has a 20% turbo boost button for heavier growth areas, and runs for approximately 1 hour before needing a recharge. It comes with a 100-240 volt charger which you plug into the mains, and also some accessories - a travel pouch, a sideburn trimmer and a nose hair trimmer. There is an LED display to show battery charge remaining. This model is made in The Netherlands, and everything seems well-made and of good quality.
The shaver is comfortable to hold, and whilst not shaving quite as close as a blade, it gives a very acceptable result. It's best to use it for 1, 2 or 3 days' growth -- it's not designed to cut through longer beards. The main advantage of this shaver is its comfort -- I've never had a more comfortable shave. Cleaning is simplicity itself -- just pop open the shave head and rinse it under the tap, then let it air dry.
So far I'm very pleased with this product, and recommend it to anybody who wants an efficient, quiet, comfortable, use anywhere shaver.

Purchased in December 2018 at for $149.00.

Battery Life
Hi there, thank you for taking your time to share your elaborate review about the S5630 here. We really appreciate that you have considered all the specs in your feedback. It is great to hear that the newer model was able to keep your beard in a great shape as well. We are also proud to hear that your older model is still working, even if it's not that powerful anymore. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts, we wish you many more years of enjoyment with your new shaver. Feel free to reach out to us on social media (Facebook or Twitter @PhilipsCare) if you have any questions in the future. Take care and have a great day! Kind regards, The Philips Australian Team

Very good shaver at a reasonable price

I replace this shaver of $140.00 with an S9000 series of $499.00 and it is fantastic, and I can fell the difference between the 2 shavers since I have been using a philishave foe the last 50+ years

Purchased in February 2019 at Myer Retail Stores for $140.00.