Philips Shaver Series 5000

S5050/06, S5420/06, S5070/06, etc...

• Causes Irritation Yes (6) · No (10)
  • Caused Razor BurnYes (4) · No (12)
  • Shave Closeness
  • Battery Life
  • Wet Shave
  • Dry Shave

Andy

AndyGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Waste of money.

This shaver does not shave me. Then I lost the charger and had to deal with the nightmare called Philips customer service that is based somewhere in Asia. I tried for 9 months of regularly calling then to be told it was a Japanese model and they would go through their technical support and find out which charger I needed. At the end of January I gave up and threw the useless thing away. I will never as long as my butt points to the ground buy a Philips product again. I am still waiting for a manager to call me back.

Purchased in April 2020 for $109.00.

Oli

OliSydney, NSW

Wasting time. It is not a shaver

I currently have two old Philips shavers. I was happy with the quality of Phillips products. They still work well. but I'd like to replace them with newer versions. I purchased 5000 series S4470 at Costco. See what? I couldn't have clean shave with this machine. It took longer and longer to finish shave. I had to burn my face skin with this shaver before shaving was complete. I returned it. Phillips should keep its product quality better and better as time passes but worse.

Purchased in January 2020 at Costco NSW, Auburn for $130.00.

Jade M.

Jade M.Sydney, NSW

Waste of time & money!

Purchased this unit for $150 from Harvey Norman after getting advice from a salesperson. I don’t have sensitive skin but it unfortunately took me absolutely forever to shave, now my face & neck feels like it’s burning. What was supposed to be a time saving device now takes longer than it did before & I’m lighter in the pocket, incredibly disappointed. Will be taking it back tomorrow for a refund.

Purchased in October 2020 at Harvey Norman for $150.00.

Men's Electric Shavers

Find out how Philips Shaver Series 5000 compares to other Men's Electric Shavers

AndrewCentral Queensland, QLD

Pretty Decent Electric Razor

Purchased in August 2020 at Harvey Norman for $99.00.

Philips S.Philips

Hello Andrew, thanks for taking the time to write this elaborate review. Glad to hear you like the product and we appreciate the valuable feedback! :)

kurcobrija

kurcobrijaPerth, WA

The worst shaver I have ever had!

This shaver's motor is seriously underpowered and slow, making shaving very slow and often unpleasant. Secondly, the design of its blades is horrible, they get clogged quickly, after one shave and dismantling, cleaning and reassembly is frustrating and slow. The worst shaver I have ever had!

Purchased in April 2020 for $120.00.

Disappointed

DisappointedCanberra

Designed to fail

This razor was fine to use until the battery stopped holding a charge. After partially dismantling it I discovered that it really is made as a throw away after a limited life. After being a Philips user for many years I am now exploring other brands.

Geoff

GeoffLaunceston, TAS

Slower than a wet week

This shaver works to be fair. It will shave and give a relatively close shave.
However, in the time that this device takes to give a reasonable shave, you could have lathered up and blade shaved 3-4 times and received twice as good a shave the first time around.
Very disappointed in this unit. This is my first electric razor and I'm afraid that it will be my last.
Very average. Just stick with a blade people, it gives a significantly faster and vastly superior result.

Purchased in August 2016 at Harvey Norman for $198.00.

Vic

VicGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Philips S5050 Electric Shaver - it’s ok for the price

We’ve bought the Philips S5050 Electric Shaver last June and had been using it ever since. It’s ok for the price but it’s not as good as other shaver we’ve had. The blade isn’t very sharp - doesn’t leave a clean cut after shaving. The battery seems to run out quicker compares to other model. It’s not a very high quality product.

BrendaandDamian

BrendaandDamianSouth East Queensland, QLD

Frustrating Head attachment

Generally the shaver functions as it should. I have used Philips shavers for as long as I remember- since purchasing this one at the start of the year I’m now looking at other options. When shaving the head just keeps falling off the shaver causing a fair bit of frustration.

Purchased in January 2020 at Shaver Shop for $120.00.

Trimming attachment problem

I purchased this shaver six months ago and I’ve been trying to get used to using it but just cannot. The detachable trimmer is awkward to use. You have to tug off the shaving head and push on the trimmer. It is an awkward and time wasting exercise and you run the possibility of damaging the shaver every time you use it. I’ve taken to keeping my good old shaver handy and using the trimmer on that instead of struggling with this awkward contraption. The shave it delivers is no better than my old shaver so I’m just not winning. I wish I hadn’t bought it.

Purchased in September 2019 at Costco NSW.

woozie

wooziePerth, WA

Philips 90 day money back guarantee worked well

What constitutes a good shaver is obviously very subjective. Bought the Philips S5550/44 as a gift based on a friend's recommendation, specifically because it had the Turbo function. The recipient however, still found it underpowered and said it took too long (longer than one battery charge) to get a clean shave. They were a razors user before. The Philips 90 day money back guarantee program worked well though; I rang to get a return authorization number, filled out their form and included the receipt and product, shipped it off to NSW for $12.45 with AusPost & tracking, and got the refund in my bank account 7 days after they received my package. Only wish Philips' products could be returned locally.

Purchased in October 2019 at David Jones Online Store for $145.00.

Brett

BrettGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Disappointing from a previously reliable shaver company

Purchased in March 2017 at Shaver Shop Physical store for $199.00.

TV ad skeptic

TV ad skepticSouth East Queensland, QLD

Not effective at shaving in my experience

I bought this product using travel insurance after my bag was stolen overseas. I have used Phillips electric shavers since the early 1980s and this model was available in the store at the time I needed one. Unfortunately it manages to cut my skin but not shave effectively (I have to get a mirror and scissors to get the bits it misses).

Purchased in September 2017 at David Jones Retail Stores for $99.95.

BobR

BobRPerth, WA

Closest shave

I recently purchased my third phillips shaver and this is the best one yet. It gave a nice quick clean shave. Battery life was a little less than usual with around 15 shaves per charge. I use shaver every morning and expect it will go well while travelling as have the others. It is easily cleaned in seconds and it dries quicker than previous shavers which had a tendency to retain water internally.
Thoroughly recommend it. It may have been of greater benefit to me as I have been using the same type of razor for over ten years which has allowed my skin to adapt.

Purchased in July 2019 at Harvey Norman Retail Stores - Appliances for $109.00.

stuff

stuffCanberra 2600, ACT

So far a good little shaver

Purchased in August 2019 at Costco ACT, Canberra for $159.00.

Nicholas R.

Nicholas R.Perth, WA

This is crap

I have done a review on this product already, on youtube. It doesn't even cut my hairs and wont clean using that "all-in-one" cleaner. It wouldn't even cut the shorter hairs. It takes me 30minutes+ every time I shave and I always end up getting the hand held to finish it off. The instructions were pathetic. Very expensive shaver for a very poor result.

Purchased in May 2018.

John

JohnGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Very disappointing model

Purchased in February 2019 at The Good Guys Physical store for $80.00.

SirLes

SirLesMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Excellent shaver at a good price

Purchased in December 2018 at for $149.00.

Dodzee

DodzeeSydney Surrounds, NSW

Very good shaver at a reasonable price

I replace this shaver of $140.00 with an S9000 series of $499.00 and it is fantastic, and I can fell the difference between the 2 shavers since I have been using a philishave foe the last 50+ years

Purchased in February 2019 at Myer Retail Stores for $140.00.

Anna09

Anna09SYDNEY

After struggling to make my teenager to shave with a manual shaver I bought him Philips AquaTouch S5050. Now we have one less argument at home and one very clean shaven teenager. Very easy to use, doesn't irritate the skin, produces really clean shave and very easy to clean (even for a teenager!).

BrianC

BrianC asked

Shaver Series 5000

How do I get off the travel lock so that I can now use the he shaver

Philips S.Philips

Hello Brian, thanks for asking.

When you are going to travel, you can lock the
shaver to prevent it from accidentally switching on
(see 'Activating the travel lock').

Activating the travel lock
3 sec.
Press the on/off button for 3 seconds to use
the travel lock mode.

While you activate the travel lock, the travel lock
symbol lights up continuously. When the travel
lock is activated, the travel lock symbol flashes.
If you try to switch on the shaver while the
travel lock is active, the travel lock symbol
flashes.

Deactivating the travel lock
Press the on/off button for 3 seconds.
While you deactivate the travel lock, the travel
lock symbol lights up briefly and the shaver
produces a short sound. The shaver switches on
and is now ready for use again.

Hope this helps!

daniel atash

daniel atashasked

Shaver Series 5000

why this is showing me a lock flashing?

Andrew

Mine did a similar thing after I charged it for the first time. I never got to the bottom of it - I returned it and they gave me a replacement shaver, have not seen the same problem on the new one

Hi there Daniel,

Thanks for reaching out. The lock flashing means that your shaver is on the travel lock. This prevents it from turning on accidentally. To deactivate the travel lock, please press and hold the power button for 3 seconds. After this the symbol should flash for a few seconds and afterwards stay there.

We hope that might help you out. If not, please feel free to get in touch with our product team directly on 1300 363 391 (Australia), or 0800 658 224 (New Zealand) from Mondays to Fridays: 7:00 am - 7:00 pm EST. They'll be happy to help.

Kind Regards

Greg D.

Greg D.asked

S5420/06

Is rinsing under the tap all that is necessary to clean the heads? On one occasion, I decided to take the heads apart to clean them with a little brush, but then had great difficulty reassembling. Perhaps, I don't need to do this.

Philips S.Philips

Thanks for your question, Greg. We do recommend you to clean all the parts used after each use. We'd kindly refer you to the chapter on 'Cleaning and maintenance' in the manual. Feel free to reach out to our product team for further assistance. You can reach them on 1300 363 391 from Monday - Friday: 09:00 am - 05:00 pm EST. We hope this helps!

See all Philips Shaver Series 5000 questions

Get an answer from our members and Philips representatives

Compare all 13 Philips Shaver Series 5000
CategoryMen's Electric ShaversMen's Electric ShaversMen's Electric ShaversMen's Electric Shavers
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)
ManualDownload manual