Planet Ark Aware Eco Choice Sensitive Washing Powder

See the Best Laundry Detergents in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Good for your skin and the environment

I use this powder to wash everything; clothes, swimmers, towels, sheets. I usually just tip the powder straight into my front loader but would recommend dissolving first when washing bulky items because those are the times I have noticed a little bit of remnant powder on things after the wash cycle has finished.
It's earth friendly! I love that it comes in a cardboard box without a plastic scoop and, most importantly for my family, it is great for sensitive skin because it has no harsh chemicals or fragrances.

Smell
Causes Irritation No

The only laundry cleaner my son can use

We have tried almost every sensitive laundry powder available and this is the only product that doesn’t make my sons eczema flare up. Cleans very well in warm water (we use warm water so we can use less powder and have less build up in the clothes. We add tea tree essential oil to add a fresh non-toxic scent as this product has no scent at all. We’ve been using this for the last 5 years. It’s great!

Purchased in July 2019 at Woolworths Online store for $6.00.

Smell
Causes Irritation No

white powder left behind

Used this product 4 months ago, washed really well.
Bought it again last week, and now have a white powder on everything i have washed, and yes i did mix it before adding my clothes.
Not happy, had to re-wash everything, will not be wasting my money .

Purchased in June 2019 for $6.00.

Causes Irritation Yes

Bravo! A washing powder that is truly fragrance-free

This washing powder is the only one I can find on sale that is actually fragrance-free. If you react badly to fragrances, be sure to read label on the packaging of each brand of washing powder before you buy it. Many so-called "green" washing powders actually contain fragrances -- but thankfully I have found Planet Ark Aware Eco Choice Sensitive Washing Powder which does not contain any fragrance.

I have found that most washing powders on the market contain fragrances (and often very strong ones) that cause me to have headaches. Happily, this washing powder is the exception.

In addition, this washing powder leaves my clothing feeling fresh and clean.

Doesn't clean well

I bought this as I had one item I needed to wash with enzyme free detergent. I put a few other items of clothing in and it did a really poor job. The clothes came out smelly and dirty and I had to hand wash them after.

Very good

I love it. I can't fault it at all. Great for sensitive skin. Recommend to everyone! I just think it is easy to use. Totally in for saving the planet.

Does the job

I agree with many of the previous reviews. The product causes clumps to form in the front loader detergent drawer that can be quite solid. I just hope this does not clog the washing machine. Upon reading the instructions carefully, you are actually supposed to dissolve the powder in hot water first before adding to the washing machine.

I bought the product from one of the major supermarkets and it was priced quite reasonably compared to other brands. As for the quality of the wash itself, it was neither bad nor good. I suffer from eczema/contact dermatitis and fortunately had no reaction from the washed clothes; however, handling the powder on cracked, dry hands is not advisable.

Sensitive and environmentally friendly

I have been using this powder and also the liquid version for several years and find that it cleans well, uses less and a bonus is that it is palm oil free. I first started looking for a low allergy detergent then found out that it was palm oil free and that was the clincher. The powder can be a bit lumpy in the box but its easy to break up using a scoop. They don't put a plastic scoop in the box which is also good as its such a waste. I just kept a scoop I had from another brand and have been using that same scoop ever since.

Excellent product!!

My kids sometimes react to other washing powders but I find Planet Ark cleans well and treats their skin well too. It works well in my front loader, I just add the powder straight on to the clothes - no problems!! The other thing that I adore about it is that they don't add yet another unnecessary bit of plastic for a scoop. I rarely find that this is the case and it's very refreshing!!! Highly recommended!!

Great washing powder

I started using this washing powder due to my husband getting a really bad rash on his legs, the doctors said is was an allergy so I started changing the items i used and one of them was washing powder, I found this one really good, brings my washing up really nice, you don't have to use very much either and it really helped with his rash to, it is a bit more expensive but i really think its worth it, I work as a massage therapist from home and use it on my towels and it really brings them up nice and fluffy! I would recommend this product.

Great for the environment, not for washers!

I was a heavy liquid washer user, and I took a gamble on the Eco Choice powder because it was supposed be to 'eco-friendly'. Boy, did I lose out! It was very lumpy before it went in, and left huge stains all over my blue collared shirt. Not satisfied!

Aware sensitive washing powder

I switched to the powder from liquid and it leaves clumps in dispenser drawer, it also left stains all over my wife's pink shirt.
Maybe this powder should not be used in front loaders only top loaders.
Tied contacting aware left a message as no one answers the phone and no reply

Great Product

I switched to Aware Sensitive washing powder for my front loader about 3 months ago and have not looked back. My clothes come out clean and fresh every time. As someone who sweats a fair bit, it is refreshing that the persistent underarm odor on shirts is no longer left behind like it was with other powders. This powder is rated for both top and front loaders and I highly recommend you try it if you're after an effective washing powder which is also far better for people and the environment!

I think it's also very important to remember that just because there are no fragrances in this product does not mean that the clothes are not clean. Some people may make the connection between clothes smelling great to being clean, which is not always the case!

A great product which is great for the environment and us.

Great environmental product!

Firstly the box is recyclable & is also made from 96% recycled content.

Good value for money as you only need 1 heaped teaspoon for a front loader.

I have had great cleaning results in warm & cold water. Removes light stains but admittedly I haven't washed heavy stains.

A huge plus is there are no harmful ingredients to humans or the planet in Aware - including naturally derived & renewably sourced ingredients.

They don't put a plastic scoop in each pack to avoid waste - big tick there :)

I love that there is little to no fragrance so doesn't overwhelm your senses or cause headaches! Great for people with skin allergies too.

Purchasing this product also helps to support Planet Ark environmental initiatives so that's a bonus :)

And of course my favourite 2 endorsements: Australian made & owned & not tested on animals.

Avoid!

This product is just "okay" for a number of reasons:

It contains no Enzymes. This means certain types of stains will not be removed, no matter what temperature you use. Result? Some stains will be left behind, leaving you to rewash your clothes

It contains No Oxygen-based bleaching product. Other stains that cannot be removed by enzymes are not bleached. Result? You end up with sweat-stains building up on your clothes

People think this product is "good" for the environment. This is incorrect. Most, if not all detergents are now free from Phosphates. The enzymes and oxygen products are good for septic systems (especially the former, which aid in digesting other matter).
Unless you want to spend your time soaking white shirts in bleaches, detergent and everything to remove sweat stains, AVOID THIS PRODUCT AT ALL COSTS.

Once I reverted to traditional powder, and treated my sweat-stains with a little "Radiant Black Wash" on my white shirts, the stains were removed. So much for an eco-choice powder.
Another point - This product, whilst rinsing quite well, leaves a "chalky" feeling to your clothes. Therefore, I am concerned about the products that are used to make this a "detergent," as they are clearly not rinsing adequately.

What can I recommend as an alternative? Try Omo (or another leading) Sensitive product, or switch to 'Lux' soap flakes (and rinse in warm or hot water!)
Rinses clear
Lack of cleaning performance, Chalky clothes

Great product and not itchy anymore

I have tried other sensitive skin washing powders and found I was still itchy. Planet ark one was on sale and I thought I would give it ago. I am so happy that I did, it washes your clothes well and I have a front loader machine. The most I use is 1/2 a scoop and most times I use far less. I am washing my sons school clothes he is 7 while I am typing this and I am using 1 teaspoon full. I used it today and it washed out blood stains. No need to use a stain remover or soak at all. Works well with both cold or warm water but does take a while to dissolve with cold water and most washing powders do. I have used it to hand wash, my hands do get red but not as bad as with other washing powders. I ran out of toilet bowl cleaner the other day, so I used a teaspoon of washing powder and gave it a good scrub with the toilet brush. Worked well might not waste my money on toilet cleaner anymore lol...
Clean wash, only need a small ammount and will wash out blood with no pre treatment needed or soaking
Does take a while to dissolve in cold water

Excellent product

I have sensitive skin that is prone to itches and rashes. This product cleans very well, and it doesn't give me any rashes nor make me itchy, so I'm very happy. I don't like washing powders with strong fragrances, and this one has no fragrance, which I really like. It's Australian owned and made, palm oil free, low allergy, supports Planet Ark and more, which I also like. I've put my parents and best friend onto this washing powder, and they buy it now because they also like it a lot. I love it! Thank you!

Where can I buy this in Victoria?

I have had a good experience with this product from Plant Ark. I was initially using a more expensive environmentally friendly product, but was forced to look for a cheaper alternative as we had to cut back on grocery bills. I was glad to find Aware Sensitive. It had everything I needed it was environmentally friendly, greywater safe, good for sensitive skin, and didn't have any nasty chemicals. I also found it was Palm Oil free (which I think everyone should be looking for today with the issues with rainforests being cut down and animals slowly being killed off). This is a fragrance free product and really is great for those sensitive skins. My husband is particularly sensitive and with little children, I want a product that is safe and kind to their skin as well. I am pleased I have found it in Aware washing powder. I will continue using it and would recommend it to others.
Relatively cheap for an environmental friendly product. Good results with washing. Palm Oil free (Very important to note), great on my husbands sensitive skin, great for my children's young skin. Is safe for greywater and putting on gardens. Cardboard box container good for recycling. Fragrance free.
None I've come across so far.

Good clean wash, better for the environment and your clothes, great value for money

I had been using a 'leading brand' of powder in my front loader for years but wanted to change to a powder that would not irritate my new baby's skin, would give a satisfactory wash when laundering her cloth nappies and not leave residue behind in the fabric which can lead to them leaking.

I was recommended two or three different enviro/skin sensitive brands and decided to try Aware Eco Choice first, buying two boxes. I have just opened the second box 5 months later! I use two teaspoons of powder per wash (even for pooey nappies) and have found they come out very clean and odourless unlike when I was using the 'standard' powder which sometimes left a musty smell in the nappies.

I have found it can leave some stains behind but a second wash and temperature change has generally always resolved this.

I have been impressed by the quality of wash with regards to the powder dosage required and with one box lasting for such a long time (approx. 145 washes) it has been fantastic value for money.

The fact it is suitable for our greywater system has been an added bonus and I like that it is palm oil free as it concerns me so many products have this addition.

Overall, this is an excellent product that will give great results for a range of laundry items and offers fantastic value for money.
Inexpensive, environmentally friendly, effective cleaning solution without residues
Box doesn't close properly between uses

I was surprised that people think that it's expensive...Considering how long a box lasts it's really not! Perhaps people are using too much?
I did have slight issues with it not washing properly, and the powder clumping, but after I started measuring the dose properly (with a tablespoon measure) I discovered I'd been using far too much. Sure enough, with proper dosage it worked flawlessly.
The secret seems to be following the instructions properly :P
Also, people mentioned the box was dodgy, although my box has a liner inside it that seems to be addressing the spillage/moisture issues.
I only tried it because the manufacturer also makes Orange Power... I have not been disappointed.
Genuinely environmentally friendly (Planet Ark and GECA approval)
Washes surprising well