Primus Mammoth DualZone

Primus Mammoth DualZone

65L, 72L, 92L and 118L

See the Best Portable Fridges / Freezers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Well built great design

I've been using my mammoth 118 litre dualzone for about three weeks now and I think it's brilliant! It keeeps everything cold on fridge side and everything frozen on freezer side, even on the hot days (38+). I filled it with all our meats (vacuum sealed), vegetables, salads, yoghurt, milk, icecream, eggs. Enough for my whole family of 6 for a few weeks, it was full!. The temperature stayed constant at my set temperature of 2 degrees, varying 1-2C above and below the set temperature (freezer side stayed pretty much constant) It has exceeded by expectations considering the few reviews I read! It is heavy when it's all loaded up but you have to expect that considering its size. From empty, it dropped the temperature from 30C to 2 degrees in about 15-30 min, so very good insulation. I powered it via my arkpak with a 100ah lithium battery installed which was recharged via my 300 watt folding solar panels. The solar panels would fully recharge the battery in around 6-7 hours with good sunlight. I didn't have to once use my generator in the 3 weeks of use. Only thing I've done is removed the cigarette lighter connection and fitted a 50 amp Anderson plug, as the 12 volt plug felt to get a little warm sometimes but no issues with the Anderson plug! And I've purchased the protective cover for it need to protect the investment if nothing else.

Purchased in June 2019 at https://www.bbqspitrotisseries.com.au/?gclid=CjwKCAjwvJvpBRAtEiwAjLuRPaJt1Nfn_kpDUR5n_eL9-ma_OB7MO3VFjRjCrFRp2QRAWWz72e-mYRoCb-EQAvD_BwE for $995.00.

Did Not Live Up To Expectation

Paid around $1000 and The idea is perfect - a fridge compartment for the drinks and a freezer compartment for the meat. Unfortunately the Dual Zone 72ltr did not actually work on it's maiden voyage on 12v. Had tested prior on 240v mains and it got below zero - so trusting a brand new product assumed it was a good thing. 3 issues I had were: did not work at all on 12v - Freezer would not get below 8 deg Celsius on 240v - the temp display was unable to be read after about 3 days continuous use. I may have been unlucky with that particular one so try your luck if you will. New plan of attack - looking at 2 x 38 ltr competitors fridge - will cost about $600 extra but will have a backup if one decides to play up. NOTE: Companion came good with a full refund - Freddy's Fishing (Mackay) were terrible with their customer service and follow up. Happy to discuss further with Freddy's upper management if not happy with this review as could not find a complaints number on their website.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Great fridge

Had this since August 2015 we use it at home as well as away camping . Only problem we had was the fan carked in april 2018 .. was fixed in a week under warranty (3yrs) . We have the 118L no regrets buying it . Works off the dual batteries no problem .

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Resolved

Had a problem with the unit and after negotiation with the retailer and manufacturer was able to reach an agreed outcome and the matter has been successfully resolved.
Next time will look more carefully at the range of fridges available and their suitability for offroad use
mnatter is now closed

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Great Fridge for the Tough Teardrop Camper

We have had this 65lt dual zone Primus fridge for the last 2 years. It is fitted to the front box of our #toughteardrop offroad camper and has been reliable and efficient since. The fridge is powered by a 130 AGM battery in the camper which is charged by a Rolasolar flexible solar panel kit.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Absolute rubbish

This fridge did 6 trips away. On our 7th trip it would not get cold. Took it to the recommended repairer paid $110 deposit only to be told it was out of gas so it had a leak. All the tubes are encased in the insulation so could not locate the leak. UNREPAIRABLE. This fridge is absolute rubbish. Only the Engel and Evacool are able to be repaired because their cooling tubes are accessible.
Do not buy this fridge.

Date PurchasedFeb 2014

Didn't work properly Day 1

It arrived on Friday plugged it into the car (duel battery system) and set both sides to 4c the left hand side went down to -14 freezing all the bottles of water (lucky not beer!!) and the right hand side doesn't get below 14 what a joke
Going to try and get my money back on Monday.
I will let you know what happens.
bite the bullet pay the money and buy an ENGEL
cheers
Darren

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Well done

We are full time travellers and have used our primus mammoth 65litre dual zone full time for 2 1/2 Years in that time we have had 2 problems But can not fault the after sales service. We are Very happy and Would definitely recommend this product thank you very much.

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Trouble with it all the time had 2 under warranty and now I'm with out as the new one not working

Not happy with the way as keep on braking down had 2 under warranty and now I'm with out as the new one not working send back to Queensland 4 repairs and maintenance of the new one and only just waiting for the results I am thinking about demanding my money back so see what happens when the fridge freezer comes back

Date PurchasedSep 2015

I bought the 65litre fridge from BBC, $1350 and had it 18 months and now it doesn’t work.

Transportable yes but mine stopped working after only 18 months. I had it hard wired and ran it all the time as I have plenty of solar and twin batteries. I actually only used it a few times. Very dissatisfied and wish I’d kept my waco. It was 9 years old & going great. I downsized from the 110 litre to the primus 65 litre.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Pick it up next week 65lt

I pick up a 65lt pimus next week for a 20 day kimberley moon trip from perth
Hope it is $1299.00 well spent will add to reviews when back
It is very well priced compared to other fridges in its class
I run 2x 100A/h batteries they are charged from car,solar,gen set or 240 should last the distance

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Waiting for a reply from Primus

My primus 65L dual zone fridge worked perfectly and continuously for three and a half years, Unfortunatly two weeks ago it stopped working on the right compartment. After a $75.00 service fee at the primus recommended repairer I received a call to say it is unrepairable, they did however say they would ring Companion and see what they would do, I am waiting for their reply. this might be the best add primus will ever get, OR it could be the worst.

May 12th 2017 Update: I received a brand new fridge

Well folks today I received a brand new fridge to replace the previous one that I did a review on here a month ago.
The only trouble is IT DOESN'T WORK AT ALL. One side worked until it got to -5c then it climbed back to ambient temp.
At first I was very grateful for the replacement but now I am plain disappointed, How long is this stuff around going to go on for, it is a half hour each way to the repairers but I am not going to give up on this, being retired I have all the time in the world to stay on this until it gets resolved.
Stay tuned for the next episode.

Date PurchasedOct 2013
Further to the Primus saga Gday Folks I received the THIRD replacement Primus 65L dual Zone Fridge on the 29th May, I was reluctant to give an update on this one until I have had it running for a while> Well I am happy to inform everyone that this THIRD fridge has worked well so far, with a trip to Winton via Quilpi, Windora and some back roads on to Winton. I must give the Primus warranty policy a big plug here though the whole thing was a PIA, it seems to have been resolved, thanks to Barry the man in Melbourne that I dealt with.Hopefully this will be the last post on this issue. Signed one finally satisfied customer GUSThe final reply, Hopefully. Well folks last Wednesday (26/7/17) I received a new fridge cover from Primus in Melbourne, this cover was on back order as there were none in stock when they replaced my fridge back in May. So far the 3rd replacement fridge is working fine, but with a 4deg temp variation, not 1 + or - as originally stated in the specs. I can live with this small temp variation and my faith in humanity has been somewhat restored. Thanks to Barry at primus for the replacement of my fridge, though not with out a few hicups. THE END i hope GUS

Waste of money

We never got to use our unit as the first time we went to use it, the fridge temperature would not get the set temperature. Instead of the unit getting replaced by Primus, a replacement part was reinstalled into a brand new unit. We really are not happy with both customer services and the fridge itself.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

So Far So Good

Purchased the 65ltr dual zone January 2016 is now a year old. So far has worked like a dream, even when we had no access to power of any kind it kept food frozen and cold for 3 days on houseboat as it is so well insulated. (kept opening lids to a minimum) Have had no problems running on 240 or 12 volt as use both. Very handy being able select either side for fridge or freezer and having a lid for each side. We have been running our unit constantly as we also use it as spare beer fridge/freezer. Is heavy but extremely well built and solid. Hopefully it keeps running as well as it has and at this stage cant recommend enough.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Hopefully can get my money back

Bought october 2015 returned 16th feb 2016 as not getting below room temperature. Told I have to take it to the repair shop nearly 2 hours away. Argued and finally got the shop to take up to the repairer. Repair people told me they were fixing it but waiting on parts. Waited a couple weeks then called them. Part had arrived that day so will have it back within a week. Rang them after a week and told it can't be fixed and I have to drive up to the repair place to pick up the new one. Told them no you need to get it back to the shop. Rang the shop and they were real good about it and went and picked it up themselves. Got the new one home today 22nd march and now after 6 hours running on 240volt won't get below 10 degrees. Hoping I can return it to the helpful shop and swap it for an engel and just pay the difference.

Reliable

We purchased Dual zone 118ltr last October 2014. We get 66hrs running off a 85ah battery in our vehicle. We used it constantly for 2 mths in a tent in temperatures over 30 degrees Celsius and hasn't faultered. Overall in 4 mths it has been on all but a couple weeks hasn't let us down.

Primus series 111, not good quality

Purchased primus series 111 4 years ago 12v/240v failed within 12 months, fixed under warranty. A further 2 years on 12v board failed, rang and was told no parts available and unit just out of warranty. Unit is now usless even though it looks new, parts should be available as these are not cheap.

Good idea not reliable

Just died :( I've had mine for around 18 months swear by it it's a great idea having dual zone and runs fairly efficient even when running one side at -2. keeps ice ice and only takes 20 mons to cool down beers. but unfortunately has just let me down. fan works display works just doesn't get cold.

Just heard from primus warranty guy. They replacing fridge :) had an internal gas leak

Primus Mammoth DualZone 65litre

The Primus has been great had 12mths no problems, could not go away without this unit as you can fit alot of food and drink, the daul zone settings are great. I set this up on 225kilo drawer runner this makes light work sliding out to access compartments this also reduces lifting around when full as the unit can be quite heavy when full
Fridge and freezer work great as you can set seprately to desired temp also energy efficent

chill out

I recently purchased a primus mammoth dual zone 65l fridge/freezer after two friends completed a trouble free simpson desert crossing with two of them trouble free. I have had it in the back of my truck in a closed canopy parked in the open running off a 75ah gel battery during days when the temperatures as i left work at 3pm were in the low 30's. The freezer and fridge (with bag) were within a degree of the settings I had left them at. The battery had run them for about 11 hours on eco mode. A great test with them being near empty so more readily affected by the temperature. Big trip due soon so it will get a test when full and on the road. It is a heavy beast so you will need to have mechanical means to lift it out of the truck when full.
strong capable and efficient