Britax Safe-n-Sound Meridian SICT

Britax Safe-n-Sound Meridian SICT

I feel safe

Easy to clean. Easy to use. I feel secure that my child is in the safest seat possible. Bought the new version for baby 2 & absolutely wrapped with that too. You can't put a price on safety. Love the promise to replace the seats if in an accident too. Fantastic customer service by Britax!

Perhaps Consumer Affairs should review the issue with the car straps being near impossible to tighte

I've had issues with mine too after it going in forward facing. It was professionally installed. I often cannot get the straps tight enough. After reading the comments from many other reviewers, it seems to me that there is a theme to the straps being very difficult/impossible to tighten. To me, this is a serious safety concern and I am already reviewing other car seats to replace it after reading all the reviews. Annoying as it was an expensive seat and I'm not planning on selling it to anyone with the concern I have over safety.

Hi Suze, thanks for your review. Can you please give us a call on 1300 303 330 as we would like to arrange for your seat to be inspected by one of our fully authorised repair specialists. Thanks in advance, kind regards, the Britax Team.Sure. It would however be good for the Company to provide a response regarding so many of the same concerns. Is there an issue with the car seat or is it an issue with all of us not knowing how to tighten straps properly.... there at too many comments here regarding this problem.

Terrible product. Seatbelt tangles every single time.

I had no problems with this car seat when rearward facing. But since using it forward facing, it has been a nightmare. Every single time I put my child in and tighten the seatbelt, it doesn't tighten because it gets tangled and stuck at the back where the car seatbelt sash is. It's a real safety concern because either the baby seatbelt won't be tight OR the baby seat gets loosened. To use it safely I need to basically install it everytime I put my child in. It's not practical, it's unsafe yet it was an expensive car seat. I can't believe it was not tested and can't believe it was even approved and certified as a safe Australian product.

Hi Ian, thanks for your review and we're sorry to hear that you're having issues with the vehicle seat belt and harness. Can you please give us a call on 1300 303 330 so we can discuss this with you. Thanks in advance, kind regards, The Britax Team.Just for everyone who is also having the same problem, there's no point calling the number provided by Britax. The customer service staff aren't trained about responding to productreview reviews and aren't aware of them. I was told to take it back to the store where I purchased it or I could take it to a repairer who will assess the seat. Not good enough considering it's not an uncommon issue. As a busy full time working parent like most others, I don't have time to go out of my way to get the seat assessed. I just expect the product to work as promised and I expect a replacement/refund if there's a known common issue with it.

Safety risk in the front facing position.

It is easy enough to install, and our child seems comfortable in it ( probably :) It is durable, and looks fine after several major cleanups. Had no issues in the rearwards facing position. The problem is in the forward facing position, as it has already been discussed by others. The metal joiner on the back of the harness tangles with the car's seat belt when you extend the shoulder straps. Then, you cannot tighten the shoulder straps enough, and the metal joiner pulls on the seatbelt, that can potentially loosen it enough. You have to inspect the back of the seat every time you put the child in, and this step is easy to miss if you are in a hurry or exhausted after a long day getting the child in and out of the seat. This seems to be more of a problem with an upright seat position and less when the it is inclined. It appears to be a serious design issue, but somehow the seat passed all the safety tests.

I assume the isofix models would not have this sort of problems, too bad ours didn't have that option.

Hi Bob, thanks for your review. Can you please give us a call on 1300 303 330 so we can discuss this with you in greater detail? Thanks in advance, The Britax Team.

Pretty good seat

I love this seat and so does my son.
Installing rear facing was a little difficult, but once it was in it was great.
Intalling front facing - so easy i could do it with my eyes closed.
I love the moveable back section so you can adjust the straps without removing the seat or child.
The ONLY problem i have with it is that in front facing mode the splitter plate gets caught on the seatbelt when tightening the harness. I always have to squeeze my hand behind the seat to make sure they havent hooked together otherwise the harness doesnt tighten and it pulls the seatbelt a bit loose. This scares me as it is a big safety flaw in my eyes, and i have to make sure everyone that uses the seat knows to check it.

Hi Kerrie, Thanks for your review, if we can assist you with anything in the future please feel free to give us a call on 1300 303 330, kind regards, The Britax Team :)

Perfect car seat

Very easy to install, heaps of room in the car still. Baby is very happy compared to a capsule. Great value for money when compared to what you get and others on the markets. Even better value when you are able to get them installed and on special. Very happy.

Hi Jemma, Thanks for your terrific review, if we can assist you with anything in the future please feel free to give us a call on 1300 303 330, kind regards, The Britax Team :)

Safe seat with rear-facing to approximately 3 years

While this seat isn't perfect, it is good where it counts. It is safe (if you install it properly).

I must admit that its not the easiest seat to install and it needs readjusting periodically (which I think is my car more than anything), but I've done it so many times that I'm pretty much an expert at it! This isn't a huge issue for me as I don't think there are many highly usable seats on the market.

Currently my toddler is 23 months and she fits in it fine with tonnes of room to grow.

Problem areas usability wise have been for a rear-facing set up:
- threading the strap under the seat
- getting the seat belt tight enough so there is no sideways movement
- sometimes the belt won't tighten sufficiently, but as long as I pull the belt from behind the seat first and then pull at the tensioner, then its fine. This might become a problem when she's forward-facing if I can't reach the belts at the back.

This seat doesn't seem to breathe, but she hasn't complained about this as we have the air-con on all the time.

Great Seat

Very easy to use car seat, safe and comfortable.
Definitely needs to be installed professionally though so you know it's safe and has been done right. Only problem is it can be hard to clean. Other then that we haven't had any issues with the seat. Would recommend to others.

Constant issues with straps, huge safety issue.

I am so annoyed with this product considering it's in the higher end for price.
Since going forward facing we've had constant issues with the straps. They get jammed and they can't be loosened or tightened. We have to pull the bottom part apart to fix it at least weekly. In the meantime my 21 month old daughter can pull her straps down at times which is incredibly dangerous. The back test always slides down also.
I will be calling Britax to complain and will advise of the outcome.
We have 2 vehicles and other other car has a cheaper seat that was given by a friend. I actually feel it safer to drive my daughter in that vehicle now due to the constant issues with the Meridian seat.

Frustrating, inconvenient and dangerous.

I have a Safe n Sound Meridian child seat which we use in rear facing mode for our 2 year old. There is a tether strap which is loosened when removing the child then tensioned when the child is back in. There is only the one tensioner, on the accessible side, the idea being that the strap slips through the anchor bracket so that the seat is equally restrained on both sides. However in our installation the tether is attached to the anchor on the back of the seat. The strap passes over itself and takes a sharp bend over the back of the seat, with the result that when you try to tension it, it binds on itself and the far side does not tighten. Also, the strap is wider than the slot in the bracket, with the result that it folds over and jams in the slot. The upshot is that when you tension the adjustable side, the far side remains slack. The effect is that the seat is pulled to one side and the other side is loose. In a collision the seat would swing sideways, defeating the purpose of rear facing. Britax tells me this is no problem. It probably works fine if anchored to the roof. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Can't tighten and head flops forward

I absolutely hate this product it's difficult to install it's difficult to tighten straps and I'm constantly having to push my daughters head back when she falls asleep, a year ago I purchased thinking that it would be safe and reliable as it was a little more expensive than the others but at this stage I wish I had researched and read reviews on this before purchasing, I'm gonna have to buy a new one because I'm so frustrated with this one, I got it installed by a professional approx. 6 months ago thinking that might be the issue but no such luck, I wouldn't recommend this seat to anyone.

Reroute harness

Hi, I had the exact same problems as you have had with my meridian. I got so fed up and frustrated with not being able to adjust the straps (this is just too much of a safety risk).
I had the seat fitted professionally and checked /adjusted 3 times but I could still not adjust the seat with my 2 yr old in it. I contacted Britax, again, and this time I was given the details of a repair/service agent in Brisbane. I took the seat over to him and he rerouted and changed the harness. He said it isnt a fault as such - more of an inconvenience.
Anyway, its working now and I can at last adjust the seat.
Persist with Britax

It has been a month since I had my meridian car seat harness changed and re-routed and despite being assured that I would have no further issues with the harnes it is still difficult to adjust. It is a little better but not easily adjustable. Its so frustrating, I wish id never bought it. Its strange but I didn't have any issues in rear facing mode. I think there are much better options available out there.

Durable, reasonably priced

I bought this one when my first kid was born. After my second was born, he moved on to another car seat so my younger one could use it. It's been 6 years now and is still going OK. The only issue is the with the straps that after a couple of years, it became very difficult to adjust. Feels like it's stuck somehow. Other than that, it's a good car seat for that price range.

5 stars for saftey, quality and comfort!

Having been using a cheaper rear facing convertible seat my 10 month had reached the weight limit for i was finally ready (and financially ok) to upgrade. The new meridian sict or the platinum Was the only choice for me (i chose the meridian as it is more narrow in regards to back seat space)as i want to keep him rear facing for as long as possible, and it is approved rearfacing untill approx 2-3 years of age. It was so easy to install. I love that i just pull a lever to adjust the head rest and harness. My only regret is not having my boy in one sooner- it is comfortable and offers so much more saftey features than the basics. Yes it costs more than others-but i am willing to pay for quality when it comes to my son as if we have an accident we only get one chance to get it right. The woman at the store i purchased from tried to tell me it won't fit rear facing in most cars up to the Max height once the head is extended, but she had no idea about alot of things -it fits in the back of my nissan xtrail (they are not roomy in the back at all) and angles quite upright so i have no issue with space. In RegardsTo other reviews and negative talk about straps i have had none of those issues -is got belt tounge holders (why an i just learning about these now haha) and button harness adjuster at the front so no dicking around in the back. Thankyou britax for recognising the need for extended rear facing seats in australia.

Difficult to install and remove

I wish I saw this blog before. I had used it for 4 yrs. yes 4 years and I hate it to date. installing it is so cumbersome and hard. cannot anchor it well to the CAR, first time around got it done by RACV, but cant book RACV every time and my Husband hated when had to take the seat off as he could not get to put it back properly. The traps are to hard to get it right. My daughter has now moved into Booster, but I wish I had complained earlier rather then putting up with this $360 car seat which was a nightmare.

Hi Jacklin, thanks for your review and we're sorry to read that your disappointed with your Meridian Car Seat, please feel free to give us a call on 1300 303 330 if you would like to discuss your seat in detail with us, kind regards, The Britax Team.

Nothing special

We were originally looking at an InfaSecure car seat but got a VERY hard sell from the staff at Baby Bunting (SA) on this model instead. Having given in to their pressure I have to say I'm not that impressed. My baby's head seems to loll forwards when asleep in rear facing, and the harness takes several tries to click in properly. Once I was driving around not knowing that only one side of the harness had clicked in properly - scary! I also find the straps are very tight over my baby's legs and leave temporary red marks where they were pressing. I have to wonder what kind of sales incentives Baby Bunting gets on these as they implied that any other brand was inferior and even tried to suggest the InfaSecure wouldn't fit in our 4WD - what a joke, we made them try and it fitted more easily than this one. Don't know if another would have been better but have to say this didn't live up to the hype.

Hi Zee, thanks for your review. Can you please give us a call on 1300 303 330 so we can discuss the harness issue you're having and get this sorted out for you. Kind regards, The Britax Team.

Failed after 12 months and next to zero support

We've had our Meridian Car seat for just over 14 months and the mechanism has already failed. Whilst this is not great, I understand that it's mechanical item and some times it just happens but the problem with this brand lies in the fix.

After wasting half a day taking the unit back to YCN Adelaide were we spent almost 5K we were told by the Britax rep that works in the store that we would need to contact Britax. Sounds strange because we are standing in the store were we purchased the faulty car seat from but we agree and call Britax on the Monday.

So we call Britax customer service and they explained that the store should have a loan seat and would be able to send ours back for repair. This makes sense and is what should have happened when we first went back to the store. So we call the store again and they advise us that they don't have any loan car seats......hmmmm so we call Britax again and advise them of the situation and they step it up to the Sales Manager who will speak with the store and work on a solution.

We then get a call from a repair agent for Britax who is based over an hour away who can fix the unit if we book in a time and bring it down to them. There goes another half a day of travelling around town!

You would think that a company as large as Britax would have a better warranty mechanism in place for people that only have one car seat in their Household but apparently this is not the case.

This household will soon have a few more car seats added to it with the new additions but they wont be from Britax and they definitely won't come from YCN.

Just poor service all round

Thanks for your feedback and we're sorry that you're disappointed with our service. We hope that your seat has been looked at and issue has been rectified, please feel free to give us a call on 1300 303 330 if you would like to discuss this with us in further details. Kind regards, The Britax Team.Update....ended up getting ahold of a helpful manager at YCN who sorted out a replacement and the return. The seat was finally fixed and has been working ok....

Loving it

I have been looking for car seat for my older son, due to second baby arrival. we have been looking around safe n sound and infasecure car seat. At the end, we chose safe n sound with bigger seat and easier adjustment.
Never disapointed with safe and sound's product.
Very recommended.

Not a safe seat

I find this seat really hard to tighten the straps in forward and rear facing, It works perfect without baby in chair but as soon as weight goes in it's so hard to pull the straps my husband even has trouble doing also my baby's head is flopping forward when he falls asleep where is the safety in that??? I have had the chair looked at by a britax rep and they found nothing wrong with the chair but I can't tighten the straps so I think that is a problem. I would never reccomend this product! Never!!!

Great Seat!

My daughter used this seat from newborn to 3 and a half years of age. She is quite tall and has grown out of it, but I really have nothing bad to say about this seat. I think any car seat is a bit of a drama to install and clean, but I managed to get the knack of doing it myself, and found that the fabric inserts and covers were very easy to clean and even went through the washing machine a few times. Our seat is still like new.

If I had to criticise the seat at all, I was a bit warm in summer for my daughter when she was an infant during the summer months. I used to run the air con for a few minutes before putting her into the car.

I have not had any trouble with the belts as others have reported, and once reviewing the manual, adjusting the seat position etc was relatively easy.

I would definitely recommend this seat to others!

What is the weight limit on this seat? Currently using for my triplets. Wondering when I would need to upgrade to booster seats.
Hi Alana, thank you for your question; could you kindly contact our friendly customer service team on 1300 303 330 with the series number of your Meridian to verify the answer. Many thanks; The Britax Team :)

Hi there, Just bought a safe n sound Meridian but haven't opened the box yet. Didn't look at the safety 1st Sentinal ii when I first went into the store. Having seen the star rating at 4.8 (out of 19 reviews) as compared to 3.6 for SNS (25 reviews), I am starting to think if I have made the right choice. You would expect that an expensive car seat is always better - in this case SNS but I am not sure if the Safety is equally good? A lot of people complain about the harness belt in SNS but I am not sure if it the improper use or something else. Please advise of any pros/cons of one over the other? Any other suggestions would be highly appreciated as I still have to time to return this and exchange it with safety 1st Sentinal II. Just a price guide - meridian costed me $450 and Sentinal II will cost me $340 Thanks in advance,
Hi there, I had very hard time using this seat, and I thought it was me only and that something I am doing is incorrect, but one of the mothers in my mothers group also hated it for the same reason, my husband would not let me take the seat off as he hated to put it back, not user friendly at all,we kept using as we too paid big bucks and thought I'd it's expensive it will be good, sadly my experience was not good. I am finally out of this seat as we have progressed to booster seat. Hope this helps.I haven't had any problems with mine in regards to the harness I find it easy to use, to adjust, etc. In regards to other car seats, I am not sure. New recommendations to keep children rear facing for as long as possible (American Pediatric Association now says until at least 2) narrowed my choice of car seat down considerably and this was the only option for me as I believe it is one of the only ones on the market at the moment that can keep the child rear facing until 2-3 years (it was in my town/shops anyway). Perhaps the lower review ratings were due to the popularity of the SNS brand meaning more people respond to the review- I'm not sure. I doubt any car seat would continue to be mass produced and not recalled if there where problems with the harness - I'm guessing it's user related issues. I have been using it rear facing with my 11-month-old now for a few months and I have no complaints. I am very happy with the side impact protection around his head makes it impossible for me to see him from the front though but I put a mirror on the back of the seat so I can see him in the mirror. He looks very secure in it.http://www.rearfacingdownunder.com/ this website explains my choice for the meridian over the others...

Hi, I know you don't have the measurements for all cars but wanting to know if is will fit rear facing in my Mazda CX-5 (2015)...? All the baby stores are ALWAYS too crazy busy to even contemplate asking to try it in my car...
Hi there Not sure about your Mazda but as a comparison it fits in our Toyota Prado rear-facing behind the passenger seat.Hi Ai, thanks for your question. As you said we don't have all the measurement of the different vehicles available however we can let you know that the maximum length of the Meridian SICT in rear facing that you will need in the back seat is 60cm from the front of the back seat, to the back of the front seat. We would suggest that it maybe worth the wait at your local baby shop to ensure that the seat fits your vehicle. Kind regards, The Britax Team.I have it rear facing in my Mazda CX5. Its a lil squishy at the front but doable. I'm 5'8" so not that short and my knees just fall short of dash when sitting in front seat.

Meridian SICT