4Sennheiser HD 598

4.4

100% · 120%

hetzjagd
hetzjagd5 posts

Good looking and great sounding headphones

I bought these and found from day one that they were more than satisfying in terms of the build quality and sound quality. The sound quality shines across different genres of music and does not appear to favour one or underdeliver for others - universally great sound.

Despite being taken travelling and used almost daily they did not easily take on scratches or other marks (although I kept them in a generic headphone case between uses). I found these to be more comfortable than the Bose QC35's however they still made my ears feel a bit warm with extended uses in certain temperatures.

Bored C.S.
Bored C.S.Sydney6 posts
Curious Dog
Curious DogKingsford6 posts
Charlie W
Charlie WAdelaide4 posts

Best headphones I've purchased

These are great. Large soundstage, typical of the best sennheiser open backs, but much lower price. They've got a great frequency response, so I can hear things in my music that no other headphones have shown me. But when I feel like partying with myself they're more than capable of turning up the bass on those bangers and showing me what's up.

tjs001
tjs001Greater Melbourne (Outer), VIC11 posts

Good padding for comfort, until

The seam split, exposing the foam. I got two to three years' use before it split so far that I had to repair it. It now has a material cover sewn around the foam (courtesy of my wife), so I don't expect any more issues.

I bought these to replace a pair of HD 590s from many years ago, which also had disintegrating components, but at least I got many years of use with those before they needed work.

Based on the relatively short lifespan of this recent model, I'll be looking elsewhere in future.

Aether L
Aether LMelbourne5 posts
  Verified 598

Great comfortable over-ear headphones

These Sennheisers are great for those looking for the best quality sound on a budget. Definitely a neutral sound but still has a distinct Sennheiser print. Will not suit those looking for a bass heavy headphone, even with an amp. The headphones do not need external power to run, but certainly can benefit from it. These openback headphones are comfortable even in long listening periods and do not clench the skull too tightly. This model contains the overly long cable which generally becomes a tripping hazard if not managed properly. Shorter, more manageable cables now come standard with the newest version of this headphone.

William S
William SCanberra9 posts

Great, neutral sounded headphones

The Sennheiser is very balanced and neutral in sound. The highs and lows are well balanced, and there isn't an overtly amount of bass. The build quality is good apart from the cable which has split since I have bought it.

A disadvantage is the open-back design of the headphone, meaning you can hear everything outside and other people can hear your headphones. Nevertheless, it's great to use in closed environments

Curva
CurvaTownsville5 posts
  Verified 598

Comfortable headphones with a balanced sound

The comfort of these headphones are top-notch and the sound is smooth and neutral. They fit well to the majority of headsizes with an adjustable headband and the build quality is good despite being almost all plastic.

My only gripes with them are

* Velour earpads absorb sweat and general grime and are hard to clean. Replacement genuine earpads are expensive

* Can be a bit lacking in bass punch

* Cable likes to twist up and get messed up

Joel R
Joel R4 posts
  598 CS

Great sound! Be wary if you use an attachable mic!

Very happy with these headphones as they sound wonderful and have just the right amount of noise cancellation for me.

However if you wish to use a mic such as modmic or vmoda (as I do) you have to open the headphones and slightly modify them (which is pretty straightforward and there are many tutorials on youtube)

babe
babeSydney, NSW5 posts

Beautiful sound

I used this mainly when I'm practising piano. I have done lots of research on this one. It's quality is excellent and very comfort to wear. It's an open sound headphone so it's sound very real to live! But it's not that loud to disturb the one sitting next to you though.

M. Ali
M. AliPerth4 posts
  Verified 598 CS

One of The Best

As someone who works in a studio very frequently, the Sennheiser HD 598 are a very good pair of headphones. The 598 are cheap and are better than 95% of the other headphones on the market. Their quality is far greater in terms of sound quality and they are quite sturdy too. The only reason these may be less attractive to buyer is because of their looks.

Great product.

Scasta55
Scasta55Wagga Wagga2 posts

Excellent product

I have been using these headphones for over 2 years now and they are as perfect as the day I got them. They are extremely comfortable, have a wonderful, perfectly balanced sound (bass isn't overbearing) and can be worn all day without discomfort.

The open design makes them great for being able to hear what's going on around you when you need to, but also blocks enough noise for it not be annoying or disruptive. It also allows your ears to breathe.