Sennheiser PXC 550

Sennheiser PXC 550

Liked them, if only...

Very happy with the sound, quality and build. Used these with laptop. Recommend trying these on instore. I made the mistake to buy online without trying them on. I have a wider head, the earpads clamped and gave me a headache. My brother is very happy with these though!

Purchased .

The quality is incredible

The sound quality on these headphones are incredible. Much better than the Momentum 2.0. Also very comfortable, but it can get a bit sweaty sometimes so they aren't great for the gym. Bluetooth capabilities are also amazing, I've gone downstairs without my phone with the music still playing.

Purchased .

Sound Quality
Bass
Comfort
Battery Life
Bluetooth

Great set of headphones...

They are clear with good range and the Bluetooth connection is handled well. I use them during flights for my devices or plugged in for onboard entertainment and the noise cancelling is fantastic. Possibly not as good as my old Bose headphones but close enough. Music sounds great and is reasonably balanced. I would prefer if they were a little louder but this may be a requirement these days for safety reasons.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Love the sound, just cant go the distance

Hi
This is a long term review. I purchased in May 2017 and sadly in Jan 19 I have taken them back for a refund. I use them every day in my office environment, conference calls and fly at least once per week.

1. Great sound
2. Great noise cancelling
3. Awesome sound and clarity for phone calls - I am on at least 4 conference calls per day

The sad parts
1. The battery was always dicky from the start. Not sure if it was fully charged, didnt ever feel to last the distance quoted. It never lined up with app or the indicitor on iphone. I reckon at the moment it was lucky to be giving me 3 hours, but hey its a battery and I use these things every day in my work life. So it is a consumable that I expect to die.
2. In December it just started dropping off my iPhone 8 a fair bit, mid song, mid call, mid Netflix. I thought maybe IOS but then this month it is now doing it on my HP laptop. I originally thought it was maybe IOS 12 upgrade, until laptop started playing up. Sadly I couldn't find a way to update the firmware on the cans.
3. At the same time the noise cancelling started dropping out all the time
4. Now the worst part the left ear, something to do with noise cancelling, it would drop and do some sort of piercing effect into my left ear and hurt my ear drum.

I tried to persevere but the noise cancellation was dropping off at least once per hour. My flight on Monday night must have dropped 8 times during an episode on Netflix.

So I took them back to JB and got a refund. (just before 18 months). 2 year warranty.

Next move......I WILL PROBABLY BUY ANOTHER SET!

I loved these things. I got 18 months for $500 is a dud root. But I cant live without them. I have looked at the reviews for the Sony XM3s and the sound is atrocious for phone calls. Maybe I will test the BOSE. Maybe I will spec up to the Momentum Wireless.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Excellent long haul travel headphones. Awesome sound.

4 return trips to Europe with these headphones.
Comfortable, long lasting battery, has the 2 pin adapter to connect to aircraft headphone output.
Excellent noise suppression. Worth the cost.
Dropped them, sat on them, knocked them off tables with no issues.
Touch pad controls are great after some practice.
Takes a while to charge but lasts for 12-14 hours.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Amazing. Better than the previous product I owned

These are amazing and I have used them on many long haul flights for many continuous hours without getting any headaches or ear pressure problems. Absolutely love them. The best investment for any frequent flyers. Had the Bose Quiet Comfort QC35 II before these and they gave me headaches whenever I used them. Also the Bose always defaulted to noise cancelling mode on and you had to connect to your smartphone app to switch off or switch to halfway. Bose said it was by design but it was just plain poor user experience. Sennheiser have a traditional toggle switch for noise cancelling on-half-off meaning switching between is easy.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Fantastic in almost every way, not great for exercise

I have autism, so I use these headphones almost everyday whether working, at home or out and about. For most indoor purposes they're fantastic. Sound quality is excellent, and even with no music they do a great job of tuning out most background noise. They even do well at reducing supermarket noise. They are comfortable even for very long periods of time (12+ hours), the battery life is good and bluetooth is very convenient.

My only concern is that they pick up any jolts (e.g. if you're wearing them in the car, and there are any variations in road surface as there inevitably are, or if you try to jog then every time your feet hit the ground) and they create a jarring sound. They also interact badly with any wind (creates the same sound you hear if you're talking to someone who is in a windy place, which makes sense given how they work).

These are minor issues, but I think it's worth knowing. If you auditory sensory processing issues, these headphones are a fantastic choice.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Uncomfortable and fiddly controls

I bought these headphones for a long-distance fight. They had great sound quality and certainly cancelled the flight noise. However, I found them extremely uncomfortable. After a couple of hours, the top of my head was very sore and had an indentation, despite adjusting them to the largest head size possible. The volume controls and on/off switching were also quite fiddly. It was also difficult to tell when they were fully charged.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Perfect fit

The headphones are really worth it. I use this whenever I travel and it gives me such a huge comfort and convenience. Online Meetings become manageable as well because I was able to multi-task between discussions and writing some notes or making my brekky. I will definitely get another one for my family

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Great Product

These are very comfortable, and very easy to use. I love the touch controls for volume, play, next tune, last tune.The sound isolation and noise cancellation is really good, sometimes I'll just put the set on for some quiet in my noisy work environment. I'm very pleased with my purchase and would buy them again.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Nice Sennheiser quality

These are very good noise cancelling headphones. Judged solely on that scale, they get 5 stars for their ability to hear content during a flight. They are also comfortable though people with very large ears may notice the pads more than I did. They can make your ears sweat a little too in humid conditions.
Notably useful is the PXC 550s ability to pair to two different devices and receive notifications on the first device while listening to music on the second device, allowing calls to come through and mute the music so you can talk.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Headfones

I have been looking for a new pair of good headphones for such a long time and finally i have found a pair that have the best sound. Way better than my previous headphones. Sound quality is fantastic. They are nice and light to wear and definitely very durable in all conditions

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Amazing quality, underrated

When compared to other headphones these are the most unique and underrated. Especially due to the fact that they allow you to use touch controls in order to control your music. By Simply tapping the right ear cup you are able to pause or play your music. They also have some of the best noise cancellation and have surprisingly long Bluetooth range and a long battery life.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Best headphones I've ever bought

Comfortable, light weight, sturdy and great sound. Was after an upgrade and these headphones did not disappoint. Use them everyday, great for flights and public transport when you want to zone out from all the noise. Whether it's music or podcasts the noise cancellation is the best i've had. I recommend them to everyone

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Great Buy - GoodValue

Comfortable, great quality and so far has performed really well. You get pretty decent noise cancelling as well. I was deciding between this or just sticking with a Bose like have traditionally done for years. Glad I tried something new

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Great for airplanes

After years of travelling monthly via air, grew tired of crying children and aircraft noise, it was time to upgrade from ear buds to something better. After talking in length with staff at Joyce Mayne Townsville, we settled upon these headphones. Should have bought them years ago. They have improved the flights by 100%. No more or very little noise. Can actually sleep on plane now, with or without music. Must have for frequent traveller.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

great sound quality with acceptable noise cancelling

Purchased these in JB Hi-Fi in April. The sound quality is very Sennheiser-style, clear with wide soundstage. Versatile performance with the Captune app. The noise cancellation is a bit worse than Bose. However, taking sound quality into consideration, it's easy to say that this is a very good product, probably among the top-3 NC headphones.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Exactly what I was looking for

After losing my pair of Audio Techinca ATH-M50x and never really being happy with them, I decided to go into the deep end and purchase these for a couple of hundred dollars more. All I can say is that the difference is palpable. These are fun, punchy headphones that are nonetheless detailed and clear. Comparing them to the Sony WH-1000X M2s, I found the Senns to be a little bit more punchy and detailed in the lower end. Not that the Sony's were bad, it's just the bottom end lacked some definition. Additionally, with the Captune there's some really nifty little features; being able to change presets and effects and the option to have music paused when you take the headphones out of your ears. All of the features here feel thoughtful and non-gimmicky and I really don't see myself using any other headphones, both for ease of use and sound quality.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Outstanding Headphones

I really love these headphones. They were a treat to myself and I really appreciate them. The over the ears style are very comfortable for long periods and they do a good job of cutting out the outside noise. You can really get lost in the music with these. The reproduction is just that good! I would recommend them to anyone - they are the best headphones I have ever owned.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Undoubtedly the best I have ever owned

This is by far the best headphones I have ever owned. Even if I wanted to , can't find a fault with these. Awesome Noise cancellation, balanced sound quality , handy gestures, sturdy build quality and comfortable. Almost at par with qc35 on noise cancellation too, waiting for them to release wireless earbuds as well.

Date PurchasedApr 2017