Shindaiwa 488 / 488P

Shindaiwa 488 / 488P

488p and 488

See the Best Petrol Chainsaws in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Excellent saw

I own 2 shindaiwa 488s. I love them. Been cutting for 20 years with them. Keep fresh gas in them and they will run forever. Best overall chain saw that was ever made in my humble opinion. I live in Northern NY and heat primary with wood. They are light, powerful and will last.

Date PurchasedJan 1997

Best midrange saw on the market

Own 2 of these both over 20 years cutting Australian hard woods, what else is there to say?? I run Echo 6702, Shindaiwa 757, and a couple of huskies. I have been lucky to use Dolmar, Stihl, Jonsared and McCulloch's similar size saws and frankly see little point in buying anything else.

Date PurchasedApr 1996

Five star product at a mid range price

The Shin 488P was my first chainsaw & still is my favourite one. I have never had a problem with it, always starts second pull & the air filter + chains have been the only things I have bought for it in over six years. Have always cut hard wood with it & it has never let me down. I would recommend this model to all.

Quality saw

Starts like my 20 yr old Shindaiwa 35cc whipper snipper, consistently easy. Well made machine, rim sprocket, metal casing, better build quality then many in it's class. Don't think it's the highest revving machine and would probably benefit from having an 18" bar instead of the 20 that's on it but it has plenty of torque, easy to handle and easy to start. Represents very good value for money and I expect years of problem free cutting. Considering it sits in the middle of my 4 chainsaws ranging from 35 to 92cc Stihl 660 I have no problem in using the Shindaiwa as my go to saw that travels with me or is the first to come out for small to med cutting.

plastic handle has broke twice in two weeks

Been a Stihl user for 20 years in business, dealer talked me into buying 488 Shindaiwa at a discount. Cheap plastic handle can't hold up to the vibrations the saw makes when using it in the cold. Handle broke twice in two weeks and cost $364 to replace each time.

used many different saws these have 2 be the most reliable easy 2 use highly recomend them you wont be dissapointed
easy start full choke 2 pulls and away it goes good weight
14 years and only replaced air filters no problems

An excellent value for money machine, dont know about parts because it has not needed any but I am told they are reasonably priced and easy to get.
I have owned the 488P for some years now and done a lot of work with it. I was told it was the best in its class and it does not dissapoint.
as yet I have not found any but its only been three years

Purchased my 488 in 1992 no problems, has cut many cords of oak, love this saw, reliable reliable reliable. would buy this model again if still available.

Looking for a first chainsaw now that we are landholders, seeking recommendations I think for Shindaiwas - what model would be best suited for private use, cutting primarily olive and eucalyptus to keep the home fires burning. 488 or something bigger or smaller? Thanks
Keeping in mind some eucalyptus can grow to 200 ft tall. A 488 would be a great choice for small to medium work. Anything up to about 200mm should not be a problem.

Where can we buy the piston and ring for 488 shindaiwa chainsaw?
Simple internet search, try E Replacemt parts, Jacks small engines, etc. Very easy to identify part numbers and order that have shipped parts to Australia for me, cheaper then buying from local reseller.

488p488
Bar Length46 cm
Weight5.2 kg
Engine Displacement48 cc
Fuel Tank Capacity600 mL
Manufacturer Warranty5 year(s)5 year(s)