Simpson SDV Series

Simpson SDV Series

SDV401, SDV501 and SDV601

Gone the distance

I bought my Simpson 4kg Ezi loader in 2008 at Good guys for around $250. Up until the last few days where I had to replace the belt and pulley, I’m totally amazed how it’s lasted. It’s survived the drying of clothes for just my wife and I to having two kids, a move to NT for a number of years (laundry in the open weather), survived a cyclone and another move interstate. It’s simple to use even my 6yr old daughter can use. Parts are cheap and uses simple mechanisms. I can’t rate this little machine enough.

Purchased in April 2008 at The Good Guys.

Noise Level

VERY POOR CHOICE - Bye Bye Electrolux.

I have been buying Simpson washing machines and dryers for more than 25 years but my latest two Simpson machines purchased from Harvey Norman at Chadstone are nowhere near as good as the previous Simpson products.
My 9kg Simpson washing machine is very light and flimsy and needed a new spare part within a few months.
And now my one year old 5kg Simpson dryer is faulty and it will take over a week to fix even though it has a six year extended warranty.
I really thought that they would replace rather than repair within the TWO YEAR warranty period.
I feel like I have bought a second hand car.
Simpson/Electrolux have said I may even have to pay for parts and labour to fix the dryer EVEN with the TWO YEAR manufacturer's warranty still in place.
Bye bye Simpson/Electrolux. No more junk for me.
Electrolux, you should hang your head in shame. I am not part of your R&D team.
I am also not happy with Harvey Norman. They should explain the manufacturer's warranty a bit more carefully. But hey what would I know I am only a customer and I paid the full price asked....no haggling.
When I bought the machine I was told if faulty it would be replaced. But it will only be replaced after the TWO YEAR makers warranty runs out and the Product Care then takes over. Amazing.
Would I buy a Simpson product again - No way.
Would I encourage others to buy - I regret to say - No way.
I think by the time I finish arguing with the manager at Harvey Norman and Electrolux PLUS having to wait for their mechanic to look at the dryer I figured it will be far more expensive time-wise than the machine itself. Amazing. Such a waste of time and energy.
In the mean time I have to buy another dryer and guess what!!!!!!
It will not be a Simpson and it will not be from Harvey Norman - They used to be so easy to deal with.

Purchased in March 2018 at Harvey Norman for $450.00.

Perfect little machine

Bought this new Simpson Clothes Dryer 2 months ago on special at $275 from Harvey Norman It has a capacity of 4 Kg and it was mount it on the wall. It comes with an option of both front and rear venting and could be mounted upside down. Would recommend to anyone who is looking to purchase compact dryer particularly people living in units where space is always an issue in laundry room.

Purchased in March 2019 at Harvey Norman for $275.00.

Noise Level

Very reliable and simple dryer that wont let you down

We have had this dryer for two years and it has never let us down. We have it vented to the outside of the house to prevent condensation in the house and this works perfectly. I find that I can put a very large load of clothes into it and it handles them without any problems. It also spins the clothes in two directions to prevent them tangling. Because it only has dials, there are no electronics that can break. I think this dryer will last us for many more years.

Purchased in May 2017 at Home Clearance for $418.00.

Noise Level

Recommended for common laundry in strata complex

Simpson SDV401 4kg Vented Dryer. Great choice for common laundry in strata apartment block. Looks good, simple, easy to use, manual rotary dial. 4kg capacity is perfect. Great low price. Didn't need any fancy features or electronics, just needed something low cost, low maintenance and repairs. Purchased two dryers from Appliances online $593, including delivery and removal of old units. Recommend appliances online to price match, great customer service, no waiting on hold over the phone, fast delivery, installation and removal of old dryer. Great deal. Recommended.

Purchased in November 2018 at Appliances Online for $297.00.

Best dryer!!

I’ve owned this dryer for years now, used every single day and never had an issue! They’re very reasonably priced and I’ve never had a massive power bill from them either. Highly recommend!!

Purchased in May 2014 at The Good Guys for $350.00.

Great

I thought my Hoover was good for lasting 31 yrs but this one is so much better at drying and doesn't blow dust everywhere like the last one. Good on electricity too. I'm a happy customer thus far. Can recommend to anyone needing a new dryer or wanting to update their old one. Price was reasonable too.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Reliable, quiet, quick drying and good price

Bought this new Simpson Clothes Dryer six months ago on special at $295.00. It has a capacity of 4 Kg. Very easy to mount on the wall. It has been very reliable with no fault so far. It has a front lint filter which is very handy to remove for cleaning. The internal drum tumbles clockwise and counter clockwise evenly through that helps the clothes from bunching and tangling together when dried. The rotary dial control with timer is very easy to operate. It also has an auto cool down feature which reduces creases in your clothes. Would recommend to anyone buying a new clothes dryer.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

A good product for the $ you spend

Purchased the 601 a few months ago and I have been happy with it so far. Our need was for washing and drying baby/children's clothes on muggy, rainy, non-sunny days.

Pros:
+ It handles the clothes with care
+ Easy to wall mount/inverted
+ not as loud as other vented dryers I've seen (when in operation)
+ Value for money/good price

Cons:
- Needs a venting kit or lots of ventilation (as with any vented dryer). Else it will soak up the walls and even leave puddles on the floor
- Dryer sheets are ineffective. Spits out the dryer sheets to the lint collector
- Even manageable / right loads take a long time to dry (the 150 minute cycle seems less)
- Does consume a fair bit of power (as compared to not having one. not when compared to other vented dryers)

On the whole a good purchase - value for money for anyone who needs to wash loads often.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Bigger than I thought

I dry everything, from my work clothes to sheets. I originally bought the dryer as I only had a couple of uniforms and when I have a night shift I needed to sleep not spend time doing laundry. But we discovered that it gets all the dog and cat fur off everything. For any delicates I use the cooler function setting so that it doesn't get damaged. I love how the dryer stops and turns the other way, sheets no longer get balled up and dry quicker saving money.

Can try it

If you are looking for dry dryers, you can try them. It's perfect for our needs. The drying machine has the basic control device, the use is convenient. Mainly in rainy days with my dryer. It has a very small voice and dries quickly. You can set the time you want it to run so that it can be manipulated on one side.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Great dryer

I've found this dryer to be really reliable especially at it's price point. It's not ideal for really gentle requirements but for a family of 4 with loads of clothes to dry it does an excellent job. Does create a lot of moisture in the air though which is the only downfall. It's now 8 years old and going strong.

Date PurchasedJul 2010

Pretty good so far

Pretty good so far as I’ve had it for a month. It is 4kg and slightly longer to dry clothes compared to a smaller clothes dryer I’m use to. Although, these vented dryers are cheap, great for apartments and not too noisy. Very easy to get flint out which is in the machine unlike previous dryer which was on the outside. Dryer goes both ways which is fantastic so clothes will dryer well. Usually use higher temp and 90mins for a load of washing towels.

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Simple machine and thus hopefully reliable

This is a basic machine, works well and takes us 90 minutes to fully dry an average load. Being simple is advantageous, as another reviewer puts it, it's just a drum, motor and heater element. No microcomputer board to fail and leave the machine useless and face uneconomical repairs.

We only owned it for 2 months thus far, however it's seen almost daily use (usually several loads) and hasn't skipped a beat. I do not see this machine letting us down until the motor burns out which will hopefully be a long way off.

The noise it makes is acceptable and its construction appears of a decent quality. Made in Thailand.

Quiet and quick drying.

I mainly It is so much use my dryer on rainy days. I also like to finish off my towels too leave them soft and fluffy. This dryer has easy to undrstand controls. The settings give you numerous options. I have dried heavy jeans to really delicate garments and it has done a marvelous job. It is so much quieter than my previous one.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Reliable family dryer

We have had this for many years and it has never failed us! Its only the 4KG version but its all we need. I try to air dry at least a little bit, even in winter and this gets used to finish off. Always arts up and gets nice and warm and its never needed a service after four years. Good reliable unit

Date PurchasedMay 2014

Great Product

Quite, easy to use and mounting it on the wall was a breeze. Clothes dry within a reasonable time, lint filter is easy to clean. Great price, no complaints at all. This is actually the 3rd Simpson dryer I have owed over the last 12 years, all 3 dryers have never let me down

Good dryer

First dryer we’ve ever owned, but it does the job. Dries the clothes in a reasonable amount of time. Quite light so easy to mount on the wall. Lint filter is easy to clean. Reasonably quite with the door closed. Good price, no complaints. Give it a try if you are looking for a new dryer.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Does its job

Im not a fan of drying clothes with an electric dryer, its an expensive way to do it.

So I use them when absolutely needed and try to hang clothes out first to take out as much moisture from them.
The machine does its job and considering it has only been used infrequently , I guess mine does not suffer as much stress each year.

Had it since 2015 , no problems developed but it had one issue. I inverted the unit to hang it up on a wall and this put the door out of sync a bit. Gravity made the hinges lower the door a bit so it needed to to be lifted up to merge with the door lock mechanism. This is a fault with the door bushing in my opinion, In the oriignal mounting or floor standing not an issue , only when turned upside down.

It has not made an issue with operation but seems to me they could have designed or tested it out better.
This is an appliance that gets used as least as possible , so from my opinion while I rate it well for what it does , it does not suffer the loading of other appliances

In fairness to the review and using it, the machine has worked ok for the time it has been used.

Date PurchasedDec 2015

Excellent product

WE have had our Simpson clothes dryer for a couple of years. It is ideal for what we need. We had our daughter and her family staying with us and it was able to dry all the clothes and towels for 5 people. It is very economical too as it takes a shorter time than our old one. Love it. 10/10

Date PurchasedMar 2016