Smeg C6GMXA8

• Product is used
  • Safety
  • Preheating Speed

Burns everything!

I bought this oven in October 2013 so it is now 6 1/2 years old. I paid $1700 for it. For the first year it was ok but then the digital clock display broke so that i could only partially read it. I the temperature accuracy was never good and as time went on the oven burnt everything. I have tried everything and always cook on a lower temperature recommendation but it still burns. Cakes and bread don't rise. Now fed up and am going to buy another oven.
I find the cook top ok but the trivets a bit unstable.

Purchased in October 2013 for A$1,700.00.

Product is used Daily
Liz

Liz

It is confusing to use

Product is used Several times a week

FJCSydney, NSW

Extremely disappointed with the quality and basic functionality of this product!

Purchased in August 2017 at Bing Lee Physical store.

Product is used Daily
Lesley R.Smeg
FJC

Thanks - email has been sent.

FJC

Smeg have arranged for one of their technicians to inspect and attempt to rectify many of the issues highlighted. I will provide a further update once has attended on 12/12/19.

Milan D.

Milan D.Sydney, NSW

Quality doesn't match the price

The oven came as a part of a renovated kitchen and unit we purchased (not the original purchaser). The unit is probably around 3-4 years old. The timer stopped working, some segments on the display are dimmed and some glow more than normal. Anyway, I called Smeg and was stunned when I heard the quote for replacing the timer - the figure quoted for the replacement part only was just under $500! I shared this with my neighbour and then he told me that his cooker, identical model to mine and roughly the same age (both units were renovated at the same time) has the same problem. You wouldn't expect a $500 timer to be so unreliable.

Purchased in January 2014.

Product is used Several times a week
Adam Cross

Adam Cross

Poor build quality

Digital display stopped working just out of warranty period, very frustrating, very expensive replacement part, couldn’t justify $400, oven door seal has 4 fiddley hooks which attach at each corner you f the oven opening. 2 hooks fell out of the seal shortly after warranty expiry (appears the adhesive product failed or inappropriate adhesive was used by manufacturer), the seal itself showed no signs of wear but oven unuseable I’m current state.
Hard to clean inside and easy to mark outside. I could see light marks and damage to external finish from first use & cleaning, even when following recommendations in product manual.
Very disappointed in build quality.

Date PurchasedJul 2014

JEMDGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Brand and price do not match expectations

Date PurchasedMar 2017
JEMD

Great appreciated immediate response from Steve Cullen. He replaced all 4 hobs which is brilliant and the cooktop looks brand new again.

Can't clean.

Iam sorry to say but this oven is the hardest to clean ,it is cleaned after every time but just won't come off .I use bicarbonate, vinegar and elbow grease but only parshly comes off. I'm so disappointed in this oven but the top of the freestanding is great to use.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Bitterly disappointed with this product!

Date PurchasedAug 2013

StevePerth

Oven keeps going out!

Oven has never worked well and goes out at least 10 times per half hour ! It's shocking the engineer has been out 4 times and appears to fix it then two days later same thing just over it and it's 8 months old.
Engineer out last week and same old story need it writing off as it's not fit for purpose!

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Thanks email sent.

Steve

Thank you Steve Cullen at SMEG for the swift response and resolution. Service from Metropolitan Appliance Service Perth was excellent as well.

LeeCoffs Harbour

Has its problems

Purchased this freestanding smeg 4 years ago and have no complaints about using it for cooking in the oven or using the gas cook stop. What I did not like has been the rust which is slowly appearing on the cook stop. I have always been careful with cleaning and not using anything abrasive. I am not happy about the noise the oven makes when it is switched off which sometimes goes on for an hour. The time display started to disappear as well. I could not recommend this oven to anybody because of these problems

Date PurchasedJan 2015
Rodney M.Smeg

ErikaLindfield

A nightmare to clean and oven drips water onto floor via oven door.

Date PurchasedJul 2014
Rodney M.Smeg
Erika

Thankyou Smeg. I have emailed Steve and will wait for his reply.
Much appreciated .

Jasmine PMoorabbin

Frustrated

I have a full gas Smeg and totally regret the decision. The flame continually goes out in the fan assisted oven and I have had so many late dinners, cakes, etc. It's been over 18 months now and I was hoping that it would have sorted itself out by now. Most of the time I remember to check the flame if I've turned it down, but on the odd occasion I've forgotten, I've seriously regretted it.

Date PurchasedNov 2015
Jfheard

JfheardMelbourne

Annoying niggles, but cooks fine.

Date PurchasedApr 2016
KEH

KEHMelbourne

Electric oven stopped functioning, expect better durability from top of range product

The electric oven of my freestanding Smeg stove, purchased in 2005, cooked beautifully for the first 6 years and I had no complaints and recommded Smeg to many friends. However I am now disappointed in its durability as just over 2 years ago the oven element and fan stopped functioning. These were replaced 2 years ago by a qualified Smeg repairer, but have now gone again completely and I am unable to use it. I expect more from a top of the range product.

Sam

Sam

Very Happy

We have had this freestanding oven for 3 months now and are very happy with its performance, my wife loves it to bake in & the many oven baking options are great, the only niggle is with gas top we would prefer that the large back RS element was in the front of the gas top instead of the back. We had a full gas Electrolux Chef oven b4 & it pales into signifigence compared to the smeg !

Pippa1987

Pippa1987

Good Cooking, Pain to Clean :)

Very Happy

This is such a huge improvement on my electrolux Chef which I had problems with the glo plug which lights the gas in the oven and was very slow to heat up and then needed to be set at a higher temp to be correct. The Smeg has an electric oven and almost instantly hot, even baking and choice of 3 shelves in 5 positions. Gas top is great it was adjusted by the fitter to a very low flame on minimum and good flame on high. Look online to get a better price then take that price to your local supplier I paid at least $300 less this way.
Quick to preheat, looks great

A pleasure to use.

We purchased this stove (electric oven with gas cooktop elements) 6 months ago and we're still very happy with it. This stove is many times better in every regard than our previous Chef stove and I also prefer it to the numerous stoves I've used on holidays and at friend's places. The stove was made in Italy, built sturdily and is well insulated. I can now bake with confidence and am also particularly happy with the range from low to high flame on each of the elements (but this could be in part due to the good job done by the installer). I have a friend whom conducts cooking classes in SE Queensland and hence has used many stoves - she is happy with her Smeg too.
Reliability and quality for the price,

JWSydney

Trying to work out what to do with this oven!

Jane Gardner
Jane Gardner

I am having the exact same problem! My oven keeps going out and I need to purchase an oven thermometer so I can watch when this happens. I am very unhappy. Did things improve since JW wrote the last article? Is there a solution for this?