MPN: 35902542

Quality doesn't match the price

The oven came as a part of a renovated kitchen and unit we purchased (not the original purchaser). The unit is probably around 3-4 years old. The timer stopped working, some segments on the display are dimmed and some glow more than normal. Anyway, I called Smeg and was stunned when I heard the quote for replacing the timer - the figure quoted for the replacement part only was just under $500! I shared this with my neighbour and then he told me that his cooker, identical model to mine and roughly the same age (both units were renovated at the same time) has the same problem. You wouldn't expect a $500 timer to be so unreliable.

Purchased in January 2014.

Product is used: Several times a week
Dear Milan, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address and contact details and also what are all of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Poor build quality

Digital display stopped working just out of warranty period, very frustrating, very expensive replacement part, couldn’t justify $400, oven door seal has 4 fiddley hooks which attach at each corner you f the oven opening. 2 hooks fell out of the seal shortly after warranty expiry (appears the adhesive product failed or inappropriate adhesive was used by manufacturer), the seal itself showed no signs of wear but oven unuseable I’m current state.
Hard to clean inside and easy to mark outside. I could see light marks and damage to external finish from first use & cleaning, even when following recommendations in product manual.
Very disappointed in build quality.

Date PurchasedJul 2014
Dear Adam, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address and contact details and also what are all of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Brand and price do not match expectations

I purchased this cooker because I wanted to get a great quality product for my kitchen renovation. It has a gas cooktop and electric fan forced oven. It does cook beautifully however cleaning the cooktop is an absolute nightmare. After just a few uses (and I didn't burn anything) there was black stains around and underneath the hobs which no amount of scrubbing or product will remove. I also had to pay extra to get it installed as the plug does not match Australian outlets and it had to be wired in. I am very disappointed as I thought I was getting a top quality product. I would not buy this brand again.
I was contacted very promptly by Smeg and they suggested I try a product called Barkeepers Friend. I purchased and tried this product a number of times but have still not been able to remove the stains so I stand by my review.

Date PurchasedMar 2017
Dear JEMD, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address and contact details and also scan me a photograph of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve CullenGreat appreciated immediate response from Steve Cullen. He replaced all 4 hobs which is brilliant and the cooktop looks brand new again.

Can't clean.

Iam sorry to say but this oven is the hardest to clean ,it is cleaned after every time but just won't come off .I use bicarbonate, vinegar and elbow grease but only parshly comes off. I'm so disappointed in this oven but the top of the freestanding is great to use.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Bitterly disappointed with this product!

We are totally over this oven it is nothing but a disappointment. We purchased both an oven and a dishwasher [this is also poor quality] when installing our new kitchen.
The oven clock timer has been replaced x1 within 12 mths of ownership, and we have had the oven element replaced x3 under warranty. Today I received a phone call from my distressed son saying the oven was on fire with sparks, fire and smoke coming from the fan inside, fortunately he was quick and smart enough to run to the fuse box and turn it off before the situation got really serious!
I am reluctant to replace the element yet again for fear of something worse happening next time...and I believe there will be a next time. I am grateful it wasn't a worse scenario! Pity I cant not upload a photo
We are now looking at a replacement as unfortunately the oven is out of warranty - would never recommend or purchase another SMEG product EVER
Dishwasher DWAU149X is also a disappointment, have lost count how many times the handle mechanism has had to be replaced

Date PurchasedAug 2013
Dear Jo H, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address and contact details and also what are all of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Oven keeps going out!

Oven has never worked well and goes out at least 10 times per half hour ! It's shocking the engineer has been out 4 times and appears to fix it then two days later same thing just over it and it's 8 months old.
Engineer out last week and same old story need it writing off as it's not fit for purpose!

Date PurchasedSep 2017
Hi Steve. My name is Steve Cullen and I am the National Service and Spare Parts Manager for Smeg Australia. Can you please email me direct - Steve.cullen@smeg.com.au and include your full name, address and a contact telephone number. I will also require the name of the Agent who has been attending your house. Once I have this information I will be in direct contact with you to discuss. Kind Regards, Steve Cullen.Thanks email sent.Thank you Steve Cullen at SMEG for the swift response and resolution. Service from Metropolitan Appliance Service Perth was excellent as well.

Has its problems

Purchased this freestanding smeg 4 years ago and have no complaints about using it for cooking in the oven or using the gas cook stop. What I did not like has been the rust which is slowly appearing on the cook stop. I have always been careful with cleaning and not using anything abrasive. I am not happy about the noise the oven makes when it is switched off which sometimes goes on for an hour. The time display started to disappear as well. I could not recommend this oven to anybody because of these problems

Date PurchasedJan 2015
Dear Lee, Sorry to hear about the problems your cooker. Could you please email our National Service Manager, steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your telephone contact details, address and the problems you are experiencing with your appliance. Once he has this information, he can ascertain how to best rectify the problem. Regards SmegDear Smeg thank you for the contact and the help provided. A new clock display is being fitted next week. I was told the noise was quite common so I will live with that. The only thing the electrician could not help with was the rust appearing on the stove top which is a pity because the oven performs so well.

A nightmare to clean and oven drips water onto floor via oven door.

I love cooking and was terribly excited when my Smeg was installed. The best test for a good oven? A simple roast chicken, and out came the perfectly browned super moist chicken in 40mins. Later I noticed puddles forming on the floor under the door, wiped it up only to find more drips a little while later. That's when I discovered that the whole oven inside was wet. I figured I'd done something wrong, gave the walls a wipe down with paper towels and set about planning a roast in the next couple of days. The same thing happened, over and over again regardless which setting I used but especially using the turbo. The next job was then cleaning the oven which now had baked grease all over it and that's when I discovered that pools of liquid had also collected and 1/2 baked onto the bottom of the oven. I had been assured that the self cleaning process would meet all my requirements for an easy maintenance oven. Nothing doing. It was a major job and definitely not very good results, and this in a new oven. Every time I used the oven resulted in a major clean afterwards, very very high maintenance and the metal runners and the extenders I bought are now permanently caked in baked on grease. So sadly I seldom use the oven now and when I do use it for roasts I make sure I use a roasting bag. On installation the clock was not working and Smeg sent out a technician immediately to install a new clock which works perfectly, excepting that only part of the first 2 digits show....sure you can make out the time but part of the digits are missing. My Smeg is now 3 yrs old and the oven light has stopped working, but because I seldom use the oven I haven't followed up on this. There is also a slight gap between the oven glass and the metal frame and any drips into that area are impossible to clean up. I love the way my Smeg cooks, I really do...perfect every time....but because of the high maintenance it's just too hard. I'm now at home full time due to a medical diagnosis, would love to continue my passion for cooking but no longer have the strength to clean my oven after every single use and mop the floor. I was also sent a complimentary set of scales and a SSDPLUS large baking dish from Smeg, a lovely gesture, but when I received the large metal baking dish I could barely lift it as it's super heavy let alone with food in it. I called Smeg and asked what this huge heavy metal dish is actually used for, but no one could tell me. it's never been used. Sorry about this grim review, but I really was excited when I bought my Smeg and it does cook beautifully, but the oven is a wet mess.

Date PurchasedJul 2014
Dear Erika, could you please email our National Service Manager, steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your details and the problems you are experiencing with your appliance. Once he has this information, he can ascertain how to best rectify the problem. Regards SmegThankyou Smeg. I have emailed Steve and will wait for his reply. Much appreciated .Today Smeg came out to look at the problems with my oven. Unfortuneately that wetness and dripping is quite normal , however the technician added more vents for me to release some of the steam when using the oven. He also fixed the digital click display and my light. Regards cleaning, my suggestion of using a professional oven cleaning company when the oven is due for a clean was met with approval. A huge shout out to Daniel the technician....courteous, polite, a sunny disposition, very professional, answered my questions, worked deftly quickly and cleanly. He really is a credit to the Smeg company. Once I've tried the oven I will post the results below. However one minor puzzle remains....how does one use the SSDPLUS large baking dish ? Smeg, Thankyou for your prompt replies and service.

Frustrated

I have a full gas Smeg and totally regret the decision. The flame continually goes out in the fan assisted oven and I have had so many late dinners, cakes, etc. It's been over 18 months now and I was hoping that it would have sorted itself out by now. Most of the time I remember to check the flame if I've turned it down, but on the odd occasion I've forgotten, I've seriously regretted it.

Date PurchasedNov 2015
Dear Jasmine, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your details and also what are all of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve CullenI wanted to report back following my review on the 13th March. Steve Cullen from Smeg responded extremely quickly to the issue and we literally just had a technician out to check the oven and fix the issues. Whilst I haven't tested the oven extensively since he left, I'm incredibly impressed with the quality and speed of Steve Cullen's assistance and the skill and knowledge of the technician. Hopefully the issue is resolved, and if it's not, I feel confident that it will be readily corrected. Thanks again Steve - you are a real asset to Smeg. Cheers, Jasmine

Annoying niggles, but cooks fine.

Have been using our Smeg cooker for three months now. We replaced a VERY old Chef, so it has obviously been a significant step up. Have really noticed the electric oven cooks beautifully - even and responsive. Nice control on the cooktop too. Hard to know what else to say positively - it cooks really nicely and we are very happy with the cooking results.

What I am less than thrilled about is that when the oven fan/fans are on (there is a fan assist fan and a cooling fan, apparently) it does create a vibration that rattles the large gas hob, making a vibratey, rattle sound. This is easily fixed by slight adjustment of the black gas hob components with my hand ( literally just shifting it a bit), however when you are cooking in both the oven and on the cooktop, you obviously can't touch the gas hobs to adjust them, and so the vibrating noise just has to be lived with. I did not have to put up with this with my old Chef, and so the cooling fan seems like more of an annoyance than anything.

Secondly, we are noticing that when we are using the gas hobs, a random tapping sound starts up. It is not the clicking of the ignition and it is not a regular pulsing sound - it sounds like something is expanding with the heat, leading to it randomly tapping. Don't really know how else to explain it.

We tried the vapour clean function not long after we had been cooking in the oven. There was a surprising amount of baked on, absolutely immovable stuff in the oven. We followed the instructions for vapour cleaning to the letter (40ml of water on the floor of the oven, sprayed correct amount of water and detergent on walls, etc). Of course after the recommended time, the oven is too hot to reach in and clean. By the time it had cooled down sufficiently, what vapour it had created had since completely evaporated, and the baked on stuff? Still as immovable as ever! I understand this function in theory, but in practice it made NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOVER.

Would be pleased to hear from a Smeg rep about these concerns.

Date PurchasedApr 2016
Dear Jfheard, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your details and also what are all of the issues. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Electric oven stopped functioning, expect better durability from top of range product

The electric oven of my freestanding Smeg stove, purchased in 2005, cooked beautifully for the first 6 years and I had no complaints and recommded Smeg to many friends. However I am now disappointed in its durability as just over 2 years ago the oven element and fan stopped functioning. These were replaced 2 years ago by a qualified Smeg repairer, but have now gone again completely and I am unable to use it. I expect more from a top of the range product.

Dear KEH. thank you for your review. Firstly, in order for me to investigate this matter for you, are you able to contact me direct at: steve.cullen@smeg.com.au - Please provide me with your full name, address, telephone number and the name of the Agent who has repaired your appliance. I will then be able to contact you direct and discuss. Regards, Steve Cullen.

Very Happy

We have had this freestanding oven for 3 months now and are very happy with its performance, my wife loves it to bake in & the many oven baking options are great, the only niggle is with gas top we would prefer that the large back RS element was in the front of the gas top instead of the back. We had a full gas Electrolux Chef oven b4 & it pales into signifigence compared to the smeg !

Good Cooking, Pain to Clean :)

I am no cook, lets just start by saying that.

This oven gets used to cook roasts, packet mix cakes, home made chips and sticky chicken wings.

Pretty basic stuff.

Having said that, my last oven was a 30+ year old gas oven with a thermostat which didn't allow you to cook anything under about 250 degrees C.

Having said that, this oven cooks everything that I need it to perfectly. I have never put anything into the oven which didn't come out as expected. It seems to cook from the inside out which my old oven certainly didn't do.

The only reason I don't give it 5 stars is because the inside of the oven is Grey. Big mistake for someone like me who is hopeless at cleaning. :) I find it difficult to clean. I haven't ever tried the vapour clean I must admit and perhaps the fact it is difficult to clean is the owners fault not the oven :)

Overall very happy with the oven.
Great oven, food cooked to perfection
For me, it is hard to clean

Very Happy

This is such a huge improvement on my electrolux Chef which I had problems with the glo plug which lights the gas in the oven and was very slow to heat up and then needed to be set at a higher temp to be correct. The Smeg has an electric oven and almost instantly hot, even baking and choice of 3 shelves in 5 positions. Gas top is great it was adjusted by the fitter to a very low flame on minimum and good flame on high. Look online to get a better price then take that price to your local supplier I paid at least $300 less this way.
Quick to preheat, looks great

A pleasure to use.

We purchased this stove (electric oven with gas cooktop elements) 6 months ago and we're still very happy with it. This stove is many times better in every regard than our previous Chef stove and I also prefer it to the numerous stoves I've used on holidays and at friend's places. The stove was made in Italy, built sturdily and is well insulated. I can now bake with confidence and am also particularly happy with the range from low to high flame on each of the elements (but this could be in part due to the good job done by the installer). I have a friend whom conducts cooking classes in SE Queensland and hence has used many stoves - she is happy with her Smeg too.
Reliability and quality for the price,

Trying to work out what to do with this oven!

Purchased this oven with the help of salesperson as it has safety gas cut-off and looked great. We have a new kitchen and cupboards built to suit this oven. The oven has been installed approximately 2 months. We didn't need anything larger as it is for 2 people only. My problem is the oven keeps GOING OUT! I have had SMEG technician to it twice now, the burners were replaced the first time and the thermostat the second time but still the oven continues to go out. I preheat the oven and I can see the flame through the door, all seems well. After adding the food I now constantly watch the thermometer which I can view through the glass door (the oven doesn't come with an outside indicator to say if oven is preheated so have had to buy a oven thermometer from a kitchen shop). Twice this morning whilst using the oven it has gone out, once when on low temperature setting to keep food warm and second time on 180 degrees setting for cake cooking, the cake dropped in the middle because I had to relight the oven after 1/2 hour cooking. I will approach Smeg once again and the retailer to see what can be done.
Look, gas top cooking.
Unreliable oven

I am having the exact same problem! My oven keeps going out and I need to purchase an oven thermometer so I can watch when this happens. I am very unhappy. Did things improve since JW wrote the last article? Is there a solution for this?Dear Jane, I am the National Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist you with this problem. If you could email me at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with all of you details I will arrange for a service call as we should be able to fix this issue. I await your further contact.I have now used this oven for nearly a year now and it has 'settled down' thank goodness! The oven flame was turned up by the technician and that stopped the oven going out after being lit. Now the temperature is almost accurate according to the thermometer which I have placed inside the oven.