Sends toast flying

I agree my $400 toaster kettle smeg set does send toast muffins crumpets flying across the room all the time. My kettle lid sticks too. Ive had quite a few 5 second rules before school drop off. I expect more from such expensive appliances

Purchased in January 2019 at Myer for $425.00.

Even Toasting No
Dear Carlie, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address, telephone contact details and also if you can scan me a photographs of the rating plate from the base of each appliance. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Smeg not worth the money

This toaster sends the toast/muffins flying out onto the floor. Doesn't matter if I put in 2 or 3. Bought the kettle also and only had it 7 months and the lid is sticking when trying to open. To have spent $400 on both I would have been better to have gone to KMART and spent $60. Not happy!

Purchased in September 2018.

Even Toasting No
Hi Zars Dale - thank you for your review. Have you contacted us to discuss this matter? If not, can you kindly email us direct with your full name, address and a contact telephone number. We will also need a picture of the toaster and kettle along with a picture of the bases of both products, which shows the serial numbers.Once we have this information we will be in direct contact with you to discuss this matter. Our email address is service@smeg.com.au and please mark attention: Lesley. We await your email. Kind Regards, SMEG AUSTRALIA

The dream toaster!

Dream toaster! Beautiful colour (which lasts, unlike the kettle), and I especially love the removable tray for crumbs. Perfect for any retro kitchen - an absolute must have! 10/10, five stars!

Purchased in May 2018.

Even Toasting Yes

Nice looking retro toaster

Worked well for 6months now exchanged loses silicone feet too easily and started cooking toast across only half the bread replacement had 2 pads missing but pack of 4 in the ops manual

Purchased in September 2018 at Harvey Norman Appliances Physical Store for $159.00.

Even Toasting Yes

Besides the look, not worth the money

Bought in 2017 the lift does not block when pushed down. Also the element on one side doesn’t work either.
You would think that a 300$ toaster would last a little longer!

Purchased in November 2017.

Hi Marlene. Have you contacted us to discuss this? Your appliance has a full 2 year warranty - can you please email me direct - my email is lesley.ryder@smeg.com.au and can you please include your full name, address and a contact telephone number along with a picture of the toaster and then a picture of underneath the toaster that shows the full serial number. Once I have this information I will be in direct contact with you to discuss this matter. Kind Regards, Lesley.Hi Lesley, I am replying to you on this site rather via your email as I would like everyone to know that my issue with the toaster is being resolved with service provider for North America. I neglected to mention that I live in Canada and I didn’t realize that your site is in Australia. Thanks so much for your quick response and willingness to help. Much appreciated! Marlene

Toaster tripped my switchboard but Smeg replaces it

Bought this toaster just over a year ago from
DJs. I normally keep all receipts but couldn’t find one for the toaster. It worked beautifully for over a year. It then started tripping my safety switch on the house switchboard. I tried the toaster in different plug sockets and determined it was definitely the toaster. I contacted Smeg and to my total disbelief they replaced it no questions asked. I sent them the serial number and the replacement toaster arrived in about 7 days! Well done Smeg! That’s customer service! I have the kettle, mixer and the blender and the products are amazing.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Caught on fire!

This toaster was purchased less than a year ago, and from day one has always had issues. Firstly, it only toasts ONE side of the bread; meaning I have to manually flip it so it will toast evenly. That is not okay for such an expensive toaster. The final straw was today when I noticed something smelled like smoke/electrical fire in the kitchen.. I run to the kitchen to find that the toaster was smoking and it looked as though the coil inside had caught flame. I quickly unplugged it and will definitely not be turning it back on. This is a fire hazard and could have easily caused a house fire. I have attached a photo to show you the damage it has caused to the outside. CAUTION TO ALL! Emailed them but have yet to hear a response...

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Dear Tay, I am the National Service Manager for Smeg in Australia so I have pass your email onto the correct people at Smeg in the USA. Regards Steve Cullen

Waste of money

I brought this toaster along with my kettle in May 2018, just after 3 months the toaster middle element has gone.We continued turning toast over to fully cook.
I ordered online through a company and when i approached the company my purchase had fallen past the 3 month time limit for me to get any help from Paypal and company wouldn't return my emails (not SMEGs fault i know).
This toaster was nearly £150. Not happy, this morning after taking 10 mins today to make some toast i've decided to research buying a new element(again no idea why i didn't think of this before) but i can't find the spare part anywhere-surly for this price im not expected to throw away this very expensive piece of kitchen eye candy-which is all its useful for now...

Date PurchasedMay 2018
Hi there Allie. My name is Steve Cullen and I am the National Service and Spare Parts Manager for Smeg Australia. This is an Australian product review site, are you located in the UK? If so, I would suggest that you contact them direct to discuss this matter. The email address you would send your details to is: sda@smeguk.com Regards Steve.

Good Large Toaster

We got this toaster a few weeks back. We make our own sourdough bread so wanted a toaster with slots long enough to handle long bread slices. We haven’t had any problems with it. GOOD POINTS: It’s an elegant looking thing and the colour choice was very good. It toasts really well. It has the quietest and least clanky-sounding mechanism of any toaster we looked at. The knob for controlling the length of the toasting cycle clicks around in a very well-made sort of way. BAD POINTS: You can’t lift the toast up with the handle so if you’re toasting bread that’s not as tall as a standard loaf it’s sometimes hard to get your piece of toast back out of the toasting slot. The black numbers on toasting duration dial are printed on shiny chrome so they can be a little hard to read at times. It doesn’t have a button for a little extra toasting which our last toaster had and which we liked. It does have a button to toast only one side (the ‘bagel’ button) but that’s not particularly useful to us. The spring mechanism is quite powerful so if you have something lightweight in it it will flick it clean out of the toaster when it’s done, sometimes falling back into the slot, sometimes onto the bench or floor. I find this kind of funny - it’s a total loony tunes cartoon move - but I can imagine some people will not be thrilled to see their fancy new toaster fling their crumpet onto the kitchen floor.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Almost burnt house down

At first I was very happy with my toaster. Looked beautiful & worked well. However about 6 months into using it caught fire. I had my back turned & could smell burning & turned & it was on fire. It frightened me so much. I'm very fussy with my toasters & it was always kept clean. I would dearly love another tho not sure if I could trust another SMEG

Date PurchasedSep 2017
Hi KateB thank you for your review. Sorry to hear that you have had a problem with your toaster, in order for me to assist you can you kindly email me direct - my name is Steve Cullen and I am the National Service and Spare Parts Manager for Smeg Australia. My email address is steve.cullen@smeg.com.au - I kindly ask that you email me your full name, address and a contact telephone number along with a picture of the rating plate (under neath the toaster with the serial number on it ) I will also ask that you send me a picture of the toaster- I will then be in direct contact with you to discuss this matter. Regards Steve Cullen.Thank you very much. All sorted & very happy with SMEG backup

Dissapointed

Purchased the toaster around 2 years ago and it was fine for around 7 months. Unfortunately my daughter threw away receipt and guarantee along with the box in which it came. After 7 months the middle elements stopped working and thus only toasted on one side. We put it to one side and bought another toaster after trying to find someone who could repair it but we had no success with this. I have since brought the toaster back out from storage to see if i could get it working properly again but unfortunately it was still the same. I really loved the style of the toaster and we bought a matching kettle which has been fine.

Date PurchasedMay 2016
Hi Brenda, sorry to hear you are disappointed with your Smeg Toaster. My name is Steve Cullen and I am the National Service and Spare Parts Manager for Smeg Australia. I would like you to check that the bagel function has not been pressed accidentally as this will make the toast only toast on one side, the bagel button if it has been activated will be lit up when you pull the lever down. If it is not activated, I kindly request that you please email me direct with your full name, address and a contact telephone number along with a picture of the toaster and the base that has the serial number on it . I will then be in direct contact with you to discuss this matter. Kind Regards STEVE CULLEN email: steve.cullen@smeg.com.au

Another unhappy Smeg customer

This is such a great looking toaster but sadly that is now all that is good about it. I also loved the long toasting slots. Unfortunately after only 1 year and 8 months of using it no more than twice a week, the middle panel has now died and the outer panels barely toast the bread. Smeg, after paying $160 for a toaster to only last 20 months is really disappointing.

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Dear Jill, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address, telephone contact details and also if you can scan me a photograph of the rating plate from the base of the appliance. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve CullenThank you Smeg customer service for resolving my problem with the toaster - a new toaster was delivered today.

Great!

This is a great toaster, looks great, toasts great. You do have to play around a bit to learn what setting to have it on for how you like toast, but it toasts evenly, not noticeably long, toast doesn’t jam or pop up excessively. I’ve used normal bread and bagels and muffins, but when I’ve used fruit bread you do have to turn the browning down. It’s a great toaster!

Date PurchasedJul 2018

The very best

I had many Coles reward point and chose to get a smeg toaster and a smeg kettle
The toaster is the best toaster I have ever used around the world
Toast come out crunchy and perfect in every way.
would never buy any other toaster ever
Not only do they look great they cook well too

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Good toaster does job

I have had none of the problems mentioned in other reviews here. Seems to toast evenly with good colour. Like that it is simple to use and does job - really what I want in a toaster. The instructions also recommend that you clean out the crumb tray after every use. The tray does look like it would fill up fairly quickly with crumbs and cause a short if you do not clean it. As my last toaster a Breville packed up with an unexplained ‘electrical fault’ I have been doing this religiously and it appears after 6 months that I have had no problems with reliability. I wonder whether this might be the cause of the problem for others here too? Maybe my Smeg will fail too but it hasn’t yet. Will keep you updated if it does.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

I got my Smeg 4 slice toaster through flybuys last year and I can’t find the paper work for it but it would be lucky to be 12 months old.I love the look of it and how it cooks my toast but now it just stopped working and you can’t push the bread down in it without it cutting my power off all the time.For an expensive toaster I thought it would of lasted longer.I have been in touch with smeg and they have sent me a replacement toaster without any hassle.I can’t thank them enough

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Looks great....fails at toasting

Love the look, fits in nicely when left on bench top.

Sadly it fails at doing its core function....toasting (“You had one job!”). Toast comes out uneven, burnt on one side/barely toasted on the other, edges equally as uneven. This is regardless of how you position the slice in the toaster.

Date PurchasedJul 2018
Dear AviOnX91, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address, telephone contact details and also if you can scan me a photograph of the rating plate from the base of the appliance. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

What a pity

I absolutely adore my SMEG oven so I was keen to get my hands on the kettle and toaster. After only purchasing the toaster in May, one side of the toast comes up perfect while the other is barely touched. I now toast in my SMEG oven rather than the actual toaster. Disappointing after such a positive experience with many other products from this premium range.

Date PurchasedMay 2018
Hi Mj. My name is Steve Cullen and I am the National Service and Spare Parts Manager for Smeg Australia. Can you please email me direct: steve.cullen@smeg.com.au - please include your full name, address and contact number along with a picture of your toaster and a picture of the rating plate underneath. I will then be in direct contact with you to discuss this matter. Regards STEVE CULLEN.

6 months old going good

Though the quality isn’t overly great the style is so nice and is the only toaster I actually like the look of , stainless steel doesn’t get too dirty either. And the functions are really easy to use and have a nice shade of light, toast comes out good also.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Looks good but thats it.

So cheaply made that when the toast pops , usually with burnt crusts, it pop right out of the toaster with a clank!
It certainly is retro , like going back in time , nothing modern about this toaster, no smooth rise up and down , no fruit bread setting , constantly having to look to see if the toast is burning because 3.5 is too light and 4 is burnt. Bread comes out dry and unenjoyable. Toast is my cheat food in the mornings and this toaster is ruining it for me! But I like how it makes my kitchen look so ....
P.S this toaster has nothing on our old Breville which cooked toast really well with lots of options and smooth working mechanisms and gently beeps to let you know your toast was cooked when you have nicked out of the kitchen for a sec. Very disappointed as thought I was buying a high end brand not a Kmart rip off.
The two stars is for the choice of colours and style of toaster.