Cantwait

CantwaitSydney, NSW

Toast hits the ceiling.

Looks absolutely beautiful but it shoots the toast out that fast and high that it practically touches the ceiling, apart from that no other problems. We have the matching kettle no problems with that

Purchased in June 2019 at Joyce Mayne for $150.00.

unhappy

unhappyLaunceston, TAS

Not really one-star rating

The second (replacement) from harvey norman in 18 months just died...I had hoped that the high price and reputation of SMEG would ensure some kind of longevity, but no, sadly, this is a very poor product and i won't be coming back...ever!

Purchased in July 1983 for $139.00.

Amanda99

Amanda99South East Queensland, QLD

update: set my toast on fire..twice.

Purchased at David Jones for $200.00.

Cheryl

CherylQueensland

WASTE OF MONEY!!

I was brought both the kettle and toaster for my birthday, the toaster is 19 months old, so, no longer under warranty and it keeps tripping the safety switch. It’s only ever been lightly used and to be honest, it’s never been that great, sometimes it burnt the toast, sometimes it would not toast enough even though it was on exactly the same number setting, I’ve owned $30 toasters that have performed much better and lasted longer. After reading the reviews, this seems to be a common fault, if only I researched beforehand, I would have steered well clear from this toaster. It certainly looks the part, but the quality is rubbish!!

Purchased in December 2017 at Myer Retail Stores for $199.00.

To The ConsumerSouth Australia

Cheap n nasty with a high end price

It toasts unevenly thanks to several elements not working from new, and dries the bread out more than it toasts. It noisily ejects with such aggression, the toast becomes a projectile and often hits the floor - creating a mess and a waste. The browning control is temperamental; the same setting is ok one day, overdone the next. Unlike our previous (much cheaper) toaster, the Smeg is absolutely useless for cooking crumpets. It’s only redeeming feature is the long slots. We got it via a rewards program. I’m glad we didn’t pay directly for it, or we would’ve felt very ripped off by such a poor performing product. We will not have another Smeg!

Purchased in February 2019.

Rodney M.Smeg

Amy P.

Amy P.Tasmania

Toasts well but enamel is rubbish.

Purchased in February 2019 at Harvey Norman for $200.00.

Please Do not buy

Bought my smeg toaster in December from Myer. Been working perfectly fine and makes perfect toast when it's actually working. Today, when I wanted toast real bad, the toaster would not work. It's less than a year old. I m lost for words, lasted less than 9mnths. For its price u would think it will last a life time.

Purchased in January 2019 at Myer for $179.00.

Thanks. Email sent.

Thanks Smeg Australia, enjoying toast again.

Bradley J.

Bradley J.Metropolitan Adelaide, SA

Same issue with now two toasters.

Purchased in June 2016 at Harvey Norman for $179.00.

Rodney M.Smeg

Second one I’ve thrown out

This is the second Smeg toaster I’ve had in under three years . The first one lasted less than a year and the second one I’ve just thrown out after less than two years . Smeg replaced the first and I recently emailed them , no reply , to let them know the same thing, tripping the safety switch, happened to the second one . We also have a Smeg kettle which is now starting to leak under the water level window , again we’ve had it under three years. As I said to Smeg Australia, I wonder if this would be happening if they were still Made in Italy. Smeg used to have a really good name and now you get inferior quality for the same high price. Simply replacing appliances just causes toxic landfill . They should be made to last at least 5 years .

Purchased in November 2016.

never again

Hi Steve , Ive thrown them out . Have already got a new toaster . What can be done with the kettle ? Can you also tell me why no-one replied to my letter to Smeg ?

Steve C.Smeg

Dear Never Never, Can you please scan me a copy of the letter on the above email address, I will then be able to look into this matter,regards Steve.

Lisa

LisaPenrith

Faulty design

I had a faulty toaster replaced as after 6 months it started only toasting one side. 4 months later the replacement one did exactly the same thing. Harvey Norman were happy to let me get a different brand as I wasn’t interested in another Smeg as it seems to be a manufacturing flaw. It’s a pity because I think it’s the best looking toaster out there.

Purchased in May 2018 at Harvey Norman for $169.00.

carlie f.

carlie f.Perth, WA

Sends toast flying

I agree my $400 toaster kettle smeg set does send toast muffins crumpets flying across the room all the time. My kettle lid sticks too. Ive had quite a few 5 second rules before school drop off. I expect more from such expensive appliances

Purchased in January 2019 at Myer for $425.00.

Zars Dale

Zars DaleMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Smeg not worth the money

This toaster sends the toast/muffins flying out onto the floor. Doesn't matter if I put in 2 or 3. Bought the kettle also and only had it 7 months and the lid is sticking when trying to open. To have spent $400 on both I would have been better to have gone to KMART and spent $60. Not happy!

Purchased in September 2018.

KylieR

KylieR

The dream toaster!

Dream toaster! Beautiful colour (which lasts, unlike the kettle), and I especially love the removable tray for crumbs. Perfect for any retro kitchen - an absolute must have! 10/10, five stars!

Purchased in May 2018.

Gardid48

Gardid48Mid North Coast, NSW

Nice looking retro toaster

Worked well for 6months now exchanged loses silicone feet too easily and started cooking toast across only half the bread replacement had 2 pads missing but pack of 4 in the ops manual

Purchased in September 2018 at Harvey Norman Appliances Physical Store for $159.00.

Even Toasting Yes

Besides the look, not worth the money

Bought in 2017 the lift does not block when pushed down. Also the element on one side doesn’t work either.
You would think that a 300$ toaster would last a little longer!

Purchased in November 2017.

Marlene L.
Marlene L.

DamoAUGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Toaster tripped my switchboard but Smeg replaces it

Bought this toaster just over a year ago from
DJs. I normally keep all receipts but couldn’t find one for the toaster. It worked beautifully for over a year. It then started tripping my safety switch on the house switchboard. I tried the toaster in different plug sockets and determined it was definitely the toaster. I contacted Smeg and to my total disbelief they replaced it no questions asked. I sent them the serial number and the replacement toaster arrived in about 7 days! Well done Smeg! That’s customer service! I have the kettle, mixer and the blender and the products are amazing.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Caught on fire!

This toaster was purchased less than a year ago, and from day one has always had issues. Firstly, it only toasts ONE side of the bread; meaning I have to manually flip it so it will toast evenly. That is not okay for such an expensive toaster. The final straw was today when I noticed something smelled like smoke/electrical fire in the kitchen.. I run to the kitchen to find that the toaster was smoking and it looked as though the coil inside had caught flame. I quickly unplugged it and will definitely not be turning it back on. This is a fire hazard and could have easily caused a house fire. I have attached a photo to show you the damage it has caused to the outside. CAUTION TO ALL! Emailed them but have yet to hear a response...

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Steve C.Smeg

Dear Tay, I am the National Service Manager for Smeg in Australia so I have pass your email onto the correct people at Smeg in the USA. Regards Steve Cullen

Allie

AllieOxford

Waste of money

I brought this toaster along with my kettle in May 2018, just after 3 months the toaster middle element has gone.We continued turning toast over to fully cook.
I ordered online through a company and when i approached the company my purchase had fallen past the 3 month time limit for me to get any help from Paypal and company wouldn't return my emails (not SMEGs fault i know).
This toaster was nearly £150. Not happy, this morning after taking 10 mins today to make some toast i've decided to research buying a new element(again no idea why i didn't think of this before) but i can't find the spare part anywhere-surly for this price im not expected to throw away this very expensive piece of kitchen eye candy-which is all its useful for now...

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Neil

NeilChristchurch

Good Large Toaster

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Almost burnt house down

At first I was very happy with my toaster. Looked beautiful & worked well. However about 6 months into using it caught fire. I had my back turned & could smell burning & turned & it was on fire. It frightened me so much. I'm very fussy with my toasters & it was always kept clean. I would dearly love another tho not sure if I could trust another SMEG

Date PurchasedSep 2017