So pretty...if only it worked well

This is a difficult one to review- I absolutely love the way this toaster looks. Is it the prettiest toaster on the market? Probably. But for close to $200 it should toast better! I bought this toaster and the matching kettle a couple of years back and boy do they look great in my kitchen. However, it wasn't long before I had to take them (both) back to David Jones to be replaced due to the lever not locking into place to push the bread down. I'm now on the second one and haven't had the same problem; however, it toasts pretty unevenly and varies a lot one day to the next.
I'm usually toasting frozen bread- aldi sourdough or their protein bread and the results are highly variable. I like my bread pretty well down (to remove that awful freezer burn taste, usually on setting 4 or 5), but the bread will be toasted well on one side and barely at all on the other. It actually looks like the elements don't heat evenly on the inside when I push the bread down. My husband likes his toast blonde and doesn't seem too bothered by its toasting abilities as I am. I will say that bread almost never gets jammed (unless it's a really tiny piece) and it's relatively easy to clean with a removable crumb tray.

So would I purchase this toaster again? Probably, but only because it looks great and there's really nothing else that looks as good.

TL;DR: Looks really great on your countertop, but toasting abilities are average.

Purchased at David Jones for $200.00.

WASTE OF MONEY!!

I was brought both the kettle and toaster for my birthday, the toaster is 19 months old, so, no longer under warranty and it keeps tripping the safety switch. It’s only ever been lightly used and to be honest, it’s never been that great, sometimes it burnt the toast, sometimes it would not toast enough even though it was on exactly the same number setting, I’ve owned $30 toasters that have performed much better and lasted longer. After reading the reviews, this seems to be a common fault, if only I researched beforehand, I would have steered well clear from this toaster. It certainly looks the part, but the quality is rubbish!!

Purchased in December 2017 at Myer Retail Stores for $199.00.

Even Toasting No
Hi Cheryl. Thanks for your review. have you contacted us to discuss this matter? We would love to have an opportunity to assist you further - Can you kindly email us with your full name, address and a contact telephone number along with a picture of the appliance and the base showing the serial number of the product. We will then contact you to discuss this matter further. Our email address is Service@smeg.com.au - please mark to the attention of Lesley Kind Regards, Smeg Australia.

Cheap n nasty with a high end price

It toasts unevenly thanks to several elements not working from new, and dries the bread out more than it toasts. It noisily ejects with such aggression, the toast becomes a projectile and often hits the floor - creating a mess and a waste. The browning control is temperamental; the same setting is ok one day, overdone the next. Unlike our previous (much cheaper) toaster, the Smeg is absolutely useless for cooking crumpets. It’s only redeeming feature is the long slots. We got it via a rewards program. I’m glad we didn’t pay directly for it, or we would’ve felt very ripped off by such a poor performing product. We will not have another Smeg!

Purchased in February 2019.

Even Toasting No
Dear To The Consumer, Sorry to hear about the issues with your toaster.Could you please email retailsales@smeg.com.au with your name, address and contact details along with a photo of the data plate of the toaster. Once they have this information, they will be in direct contact with you. Regards Smeg

Toasts well but enamel is rubbish.

I purchased both this toaster and matching kettle in the pink and am already on my second of each as Harvey Norman replaced them. The first toaster shorted out the power, the first kettle faded to the point that it was completely mismatched with the toaster.

Now I am on my second kettle, the same issue has happened less than 6 months after it was replaced, then this morning when I cooked my toast, it popped up and sat over the enamel slightly and has now burned it so there is an ugly brown mark at the top on the front of my toaster!

Now not only am I left with a kettle that is a different colour at the top than it is at the bottom but also a toaster with a huge singe mark from the very toast it cooked!?

For over $400 worth of appliances, and for them to have already been replaced once I am totally appalled at the quality.

Purchased in February 2019 at Harvey Norman for $200.00.

Even Toasting No
Hi Amy. Thanks for your review. Can you please contact us so that we can discuss this further? Our email address is retail ales@smeg.com.au please include your full name, address and a contact telephone number. We also kindly ask that you include picture of the appliance along with a picture of the rating plate with the serial number on it. Once we have all of this information, we will be in direct contact with you to discuss this further. Kind Regards, SMEG AUSTRALIA.

Please Do not buy

Bought my smeg toaster in December from Myer. Been working perfectly fine and makes perfect toast when it's actually working. Today, when I wanted toast real bad, the toaster would not work. It's less than a year old. I m lost for words, lasted less than 9mnths. For its price u would think it will last a life time.

Purchased in January 2019 at Myer for $179.00.

Even Toasting Yes
Hi Mandlovu - thanks for reaching out. Have you contacted us to discuss this? This appliance is still under warranty and we would like to assist you, Can you kindly email us with your full name, address and contact telephone number. We would also like to kindly request a picture of the appliance as well as the base that show the serial number on it. Once we have this information, we will be in direct contact with you. Our email is service@smeg.com.au and please mark to the attention of Lesley - Kind Regards, Smeg Australia.Thanks. Email sent.Thanks Smeg Australia, enjoying toast again.

Same issue with now two toasters.

since original post Smeg have sent replacements for both the kettle amd toaster. I am still sceptical as to whether the issues will happen again with the replacements but I am happy with the prompt service received from Smeg to try and rectify the issue. We purchased the smeg kettle and toaster set from harvey norman in 2016 and after 5 months the toaster started shorting the power and only toasting on one side. HN replaced it no issues. the replacement was working fine up until 4 months ago when it started shorting the power and only toasting one side now it refuses to stay down or toast. our kettle know has the same problems others face with the lid button only working when it feels like it. we now fill it up by the spout. very disappointed with a normally great brand. the worst part is my sister brought the same toaster just after us because we recommended it.

Purchased in June 2016 at Harvey Norman for $179.00.

Even Toasting No
Dear Bradley J, Could you please email our National Service Manager, steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your telephone contact details, address and the problems you are experiencing with your appliances. Once he has this information, he can ascertain how to best rectify the problem. Regards Smeg

Second one I’ve thrown out

This is the second Smeg toaster I’ve had in under three years . The first one lasted less than a year and the second one I’ve just thrown out after less than two years . Smeg replaced the first and I recently emailed them , no reply , to let them know the same thing, tripping the safety switch, happened to the second one . We also have a Smeg kettle which is now starting to leak under the water level window , again we’ve had it under three years. As I said to Smeg Australia, I wonder if this would be happening if they were still Made in Italy. Smeg used to have a really good name and now you get inferior quality for the same high price. Simply replacing appliances just causes toxic landfill . They should be made to last at least 5 years .

Purchased in November 2016.

Even Toasting No
Dear Never Never, I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me on steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address, telephone contact details and also if you can advise me of the model toaster. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problemsHi Steve , Ive thrown them out . Have already got a new toaster . What can be done with the kettle ? Can you also tell me why no-one replied to my letter to Smeg ?Dear Never Never, Can you please scan me a copy of the letter on the above email address, I will then be able to look into this matter,regards Steve.

Faulty design

I had a faulty toaster replaced as after 6 months it started only toasting one side. 4 months later the replacement one did exactly the same thing. Harvey Norman were happy to let me get a different brand as I wasn’t interested in another Smeg as it seems to be a manufacturing flaw. It’s a pity because I think it’s the best looking toaster out there.

Purchased in May 2018 at Harvey Norman for $169.00.

Sends toast flying

I agree my $400 toaster kettle smeg set does send toast muffins crumpets flying across the room all the time. My kettle lid sticks too. Ive had quite a few 5 second rules before school drop off. I expect more from such expensive appliances

Purchased in January 2019 at Myer for $425.00.

Even Toasting No
Dear Carlie, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address, telephone contact details and also if you can scan me a photographs of the rating plate from the base of each appliance. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve Cullen

Smeg not worth the money

This toaster sends the toast/muffins flying out onto the floor. Doesn't matter if I put in 2 or 3. Bought the kettle also and only had it 7 months and the lid is sticking when trying to open. To have spent $400 on both I would have been better to have gone to KMART and spent $60. Not happy!

Purchased in September 2018.

Even Toasting No
Hi Zars Dale - thank you for your review. Have you contacted us to discuss this matter? If not, can you kindly email us direct with your full name, address and a contact telephone number. We will also need a picture of the toaster and kettle along with a picture of the bases of both products, which shows the serial numbers.Once we have this information we will be in direct contact with you to discuss this matter. Our email address is service@smeg.com.au and please mark attention: Lesley. We await your email. Kind Regards, SMEG AUSTRALIA

The dream toaster!

Dream toaster! Beautiful colour (which lasts, unlike the kettle), and I especially love the removable tray for crumbs. Perfect for any retro kitchen - an absolute must have! 10/10, five stars!

Purchased in May 2018.

Nice looking retro toaster

Worked well for 6months now exchanged loses silicone feet too easily and started cooking toast across only half the bread replacement had 2 pads missing but pack of 4 in the ops manual

Purchased in September 2018 at Harvey Norman Appliances Physical Store for $159.00.

Even Toasting Yes

Besides the look, not worth the money

Bought in 2017 the lift does not block when pushed down. Also the element on one side doesn’t work either.
You would think that a 300$ toaster would last a little longer!

Purchased in November 2017.

Hi Marlene. Have you contacted us to discuss this? Your appliance has a full 2 year warranty - can you please email me direct - my email is lesley.ryder@smeg.com.au and can you please include your full name, address and a contact telephone number along with a picture of the toaster and then a picture of underneath the toaster that shows the full serial number. Once I have this information I will be in direct contact with you to discuss this matter. Kind Regards, Lesley.Hi Lesley, I am replying to you on this site rather via your email as I would like everyone to know that my issue with the toaster is being resolved with service provider for North America. I neglected to mention that I live in Canada and I didn’t realize that your site is in Australia. Thanks so much for your quick response and willingness to help. Much appreciated! Marlene

Toaster tripped my switchboard but Smeg replaces it

Bought this toaster just over a year ago from
DJs. I normally keep all receipts but couldn’t find one for the toaster. It worked beautifully for over a year. It then started tripping my safety switch on the house switchboard. I tried the toaster in different plug sockets and determined it was definitely the toaster. I contacted Smeg and to my total disbelief they replaced it no questions asked. I sent them the serial number and the replacement toaster arrived in about 7 days! Well done Smeg! That’s customer service! I have the kettle, mixer and the blender and the products are amazing.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Caught on fire!

This toaster was purchased less than a year ago, and from day one has always had issues. Firstly, it only toasts ONE side of the bread; meaning I have to manually flip it so it will toast evenly. That is not okay for such an expensive toaster. The final straw was today when I noticed something smelled like smoke/electrical fire in the kitchen.. I run to the kitchen to find that the toaster was smoking and it looked as though the coil inside had caught flame. I quickly unplugged it and will definitely not be turning it back on. This is a fire hazard and could have easily caused a house fire. I have attached a photo to show you the damage it has caused to the outside. CAUTION TO ALL! Emailed them but have yet to hear a response...

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Dear Tay, I am the National Service Manager for Smeg in Australia so I have pass your email onto the correct people at Smeg in the USA. Regards Steve Cullen

Waste of money

I brought this toaster along with my kettle in May 2018, just after 3 months the toaster middle element has gone.We continued turning toast over to fully cook.
I ordered online through a company and when i approached the company my purchase had fallen past the 3 month time limit for me to get any help from Paypal and company wouldn't return my emails (not SMEGs fault i know).
This toaster was nearly £150. Not happy, this morning after taking 10 mins today to make some toast i've decided to research buying a new element(again no idea why i didn't think of this before) but i can't find the spare part anywhere-surly for this price im not expected to throw away this very expensive piece of kitchen eye candy-which is all its useful for now...

Date PurchasedMay 2018
Hi there Allie. My name is Steve Cullen and I am the National Service and Spare Parts Manager for Smeg Australia. This is an Australian product review site, are you located in the UK? If so, I would suggest that you contact them direct to discuss this matter. The email address you would send your details to is: sda@smeguk.com Regards Steve.

Good Large Toaster

We got this toaster a few weeks back. We make our own sourdough bread so wanted a toaster with slots long enough to handle long bread slices. We haven’t had any problems with it. GOOD POINTS: It’s an elegant looking thing and the colour choice was very good. It toasts really well. It has the quietest and least clanky-sounding mechanism of any toaster we looked at. The knob for controlling the length of the toasting cycle clicks around in a very well-made sort of way. BAD POINTS: You can’t lift the toast up with the handle so if you’re toasting bread that’s not as tall as a standard loaf it’s sometimes hard to get your piece of toast back out of the toasting slot. The black numbers on toasting duration dial are printed on shiny chrome so they can be a little hard to read at times. It doesn’t have a button for a little extra toasting which our last toaster had and which we liked. It does have a button to toast only one side (the ‘bagel’ button) but that’s not particularly useful to us. The spring mechanism is quite powerful so if you have something lightweight in it it will flick it clean out of the toaster when it’s done, sometimes falling back into the slot, sometimes onto the bench or floor. I find this kind of funny - it’s a total loony tunes cartoon move - but I can imagine some people will not be thrilled to see their fancy new toaster fling their crumpet onto the kitchen floor.

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Almost burnt house down

At first I was very happy with my toaster. Looked beautiful & worked well. However about 6 months into using it caught fire. I had my back turned & could smell burning & turned & it was on fire. It frightened me so much. I'm very fussy with my toasters & it was always kept clean. I would dearly love another tho not sure if I could trust another SMEG

Date PurchasedSep 2017
Hi KateB thank you for your review. Sorry to hear that you have had a problem with your toaster, in order for me to assist you can you kindly email me direct - my name is Steve Cullen and I am the National Service and Spare Parts Manager for Smeg Australia. My email address is steve.cullen@smeg.com.au - I kindly ask that you email me your full name, address and a contact telephone number along with a picture of the rating plate (under neath the toaster with the serial number on it ) I will also ask that you send me a picture of the toaster- I will then be in direct contact with you to discuss this matter. Regards Steve Cullen.Thank you very much. All sorted & very happy with SMEG backup

Dissapointed

Purchased the toaster around 2 years ago and it was fine for around 7 months. Unfortunately my daughter threw away receipt and guarantee along with the box in which it came. After 7 months the middle elements stopped working and thus only toasted on one side. We put it to one side and bought another toaster after trying to find someone who could repair it but we had no success with this. I have since brought the toaster back out from storage to see if i could get it working properly again but unfortunately it was still the same. I really loved the style of the toaster and we bought a matching kettle which has been fine.

Date PurchasedMay 2016
Hi Brenda, sorry to hear you are disappointed with your Smeg Toaster. My name is Steve Cullen and I am the National Service and Spare Parts Manager for Smeg Australia. I would like you to check that the bagel function has not been pressed accidentally as this will make the toast only toast on one side, the bagel button if it has been activated will be lit up when you pull the lever down. If it is not activated, I kindly request that you please email me direct with your full name, address and a contact telephone number along with a picture of the toaster and the base that has the serial number on it . I will then be in direct contact with you to discuss this matter. Kind Regards STEVE CULLEN email: steve.cullen@smeg.com.au

Another unhappy Smeg customer

This is such a great looking toaster but sadly that is now all that is good about it. I also loved the long toasting slots. Unfortunately after only 1 year and 8 months of using it no more than twice a week, the middle panel has now died and the outer panels barely toast the bread. Smeg, after paying $160 for a toaster to only last 20 months is really disappointing.

Date PurchasedDec 2016
Dear Jill, I am the National l Service Manager for Smeg and I would like to assist with this problem, could you please email me direct at steve.cullen@smeg.com.au with your address, telephone contact details and also if you can scan me a photograph of the rating plate from the base of the appliance. Once I have this information I will be in a position to ascertain what to do to fix these problems. Regards, Steve CullenThank you Smeg customer service for resolving my problem with the toaster - a new toaster was delivered today.