Sony MDR-7506

Sony MDR-7506

The most durable headphones around

I bought a pair of Sony MDR V6 headphones in 2006. The MDR V6 is basically the same as the Sony MDR-7506, with perhaps only minor cosmetic differences between the two. Needless to say, the MDR V6 pair I had are still going strong, and have been worn outdoors when walking all day, for years and years, and I still have them, and they still work fine. However, after more than 10 years, the headphone cups are falling apart, but these can be replaced.

So when I read that the Sony MDR-7506 was basically the same as the MDR V6, I decided to buy the MDR-7506. So far so good. These headphones have a reputation for being very durable, and I have to agree. As far as sound goes, they aren't really hyped in the bass, but they do give a good sound. I use them both for professional recording late at night, and for general listening, and they perform well, and sound good. If you are looking for that super hyped bass, these don't deliver. That being said, you could easily adjust EQ if you need or want more bass.

The only downside of the new MDR-7506 pair I got about a year and a half ago is that the covering on the ear cups is starting to peel away. However, it is only cosmetic. My guess is that these headphones will last a long, long time, like the MDR V6 pair did for me.

If you are looking for good quality and highly durable headphones, then I'd give these a serious look. There is a reason why they have been held in wide regard in studios around the world for many decades.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Great All-Rounders

Purchased for home production and mixing 3 years ago and they eventually became my standard studio headphone. I setup a full-time recording business a year ago and they just keep on going. They're reliable, very well balanced sonically and not fatiguing. Had to replace the original cups a year ago because they were peeling but otherwise could not be happier.

Date PurchasedJun 2015

Amazing value

These headphones have been around for over 25 years for a very good reason. For the price these have exceeded my expectation in every aspect. Build quality is all I could ask for. Even the plastic feels high quality.
The sound is very well balanced and neutral.
The design is great. They are lightweight and comfortable to wear, although the drivers do touch my ears which I don't like.
I prefer these over many headphone twice the price.
Highly recommended!

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Best headphones for the price.

Purchased the 'phones to use with my digital piano. The clarity, detail and overall sound quality is exceptional for headphones at this price point (AUD$149). There is simply nothing this side of $200 that come close. They fold up nicely, are extremely comfortable and the coiled cord has plenty of reach. They even sound good just listening to music (as opposed to making it) and don't tire the ears with tinny highs or booming bass.

Date PurchasedNov 2016