Sony Xperia XA

Sony Xperia XA

MPNs: 36420447, KHSONYXXAD16BLK, KHSONYXXAD16GLD and KHSONYXXAD16WHT

Owned 7. Not Recommened

Cheap Phone. Covers most needs. In 2016-2017 I bought 6 of these phones when they where on special for use in my Business. Screen is good and fine for internet use. The camera failed on 3. (Fuzzy poor quality pictures), One did not pickup mobile signal new out of the box. The GPS has just failed on one Im using now. I have broken the screen on two of them from minor drops. They are slow to boot up. The camera lens location right on the corner of the phone means you will have a finger in the picture, or have trouble trying to hold the phone while trying not to block the lens when taking photos. They do not take good quality pictures. Sometimes screen locks up requiring screen to be turned off and back on to continue using

Purchased in March 2017 at Vodafone for $149.00.

Performance
Battery Life
Camera Quality
Hardware
Software

Lovely phone with weak battery

Was really happy with this phone when I first got it. It seemed like great value - really thin and attractive design. Smoothe Android experience - plenty of power to chomp through everything. Very nice screen and acceptable camera. Battery was the big let down. That thin-ness is paid for with a low capacity battery and its just not enough for a whole day. I have since sold the phone. Loved it, but need more battery than that.

Repaired 4 times in 2 years

The phones is fine when it works. Mine has twice now stopped connecting to my in house wifi.
Bluetooth connectivity stopped working and it required a factory reset.
It had a problem with calling out whereby it would immediately disconnect the call when the call was answered.
Sony keep fixing it, but its very inconvenient.
Im glad I have an extra two years product warranty on this phone because I cant see it lasting another two years.
I cant recommend this phone at any level

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Great second phone

I still use my XA as a backup phone to take on nights out and days when the iPhone might otherwise suffer. Its a beautiful phone and meets all my needs save for the battery issue which others have addressed. Its areal shame as this phone is one of the cheapest phones that does NFC and I even set up Android pay specially. Oh well - good phone!

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Solid phone with weak battery

I really like this phone but it has been relegated to the desk drawer due to poor battery performance- only getting half a day of normal use. I tried carrying a USB recharge bank with me because i really wanted to keep it but that got old very quickly. Unfortunately the battery isn't removable either. The phone itself is beautiful and slim. Great screen and reception. Oh well...

Iphone who?

I got this wonderful mobile phone and I'm amazed of all the features, the easy use, the battery life, scren resolution and specially the wonderful sound, better price than the Apple phones and nothing to envy. The headphones that come with the device aren't the best, but once I bought another ones I like.... the result was and is just amazing. 100% recommendable.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Bought it on special

Got this because I stumbled across it on sale and I knew it was a great model. I didn't realise it was locked to Vodafone but I was able to get it unlocked. It really is a lovely phone - beautiful screen, slim, Ok-ish camera. Its does have a fatal flaw however. Because its so slim it has a very weak battery and I either have to carry a recharge pack or plug it in because it just cant make it through the afternoon on a full charge. beautiful phone, weak battery

Cheap phone with NFC

My main reason for upgrading my "backup" phone was NFC - my bank now does Android pay and there was a good bonus for signing up so the timing was good. The actual phone is quite beautiful! Its really slim and scrolls very nicely - no lag or stutter. Fast 4G internet, good screen although resolution could be higher but as others have noted "the battery" - its the weakness of this model. I cant get a whole day out of it and even my old S5 can easily do that. Shame because it's great ion most other ways.

Edge-less Design Weak Battery

I bought the Sony Xperia XA for three reasons - 1/ I love the edge to edge style display 2/ It has NFC 3/ It was on special for $99. I just noticed it on special again at Big W BTW but it has a very limiting flaw - poor battery durability. Even at my most frugal I just cant get through a whole day with this and its a problem! The phone is stunning beautiful in design but no battery means no use. I suppose that why it is so thin.

Lovely Sony Xperia

Really love this phone. I bought it for my daughter but I had a big play with it setting it up. Its so thin but with a lovely colorful screen. I found browsing to be very pleasant and the screen transitions were as smooth as butter. Audio is good and call quality is good too. This is a very well polished all round package. She's happy with it!

Really Nice Phone Smooth To Use

Was very chuffed to score this at Woolworths on big discount even though it meant using Vodafone. It is a beautiful phone, lovely screen, slim body and good browsing experience. The camera is just OK coming from a Samsung but its not a deal stopper. It has NFC which is awesome and feels very good in the hand. Battery life is so/so but overall it is an amazing phone for a supermarket discount find. Very happy with it.

Beautiful Design & Screen

I bought this on impulse because it was on super special at Woolworths for $99. I hadn't had an upgrade for a while and I was blown away by the Android 7.0 (after upgrade) so I guess part of my positive impression is that. The screen is lovely and it has NFC which is great if for so many things. Its a slim design too. Now the battery.. well that was the big let down. I could only get half a day out of it and that is just too annoying for me. I have given it on to my younger brother who doesn't seem to mind but that is the issue with this model. Great phone - weak battery life.

Lovely Phone Weak Battery

This phone was so much better than I was expecting. I literally could not believe how smooth the scrolling and how nice the screen is. It is a pleasure to use and its got something I had been really wanting - NFC for Android Pay. Set that up and it's been excellent too. The only let down is the battery. I just can't get a full day out of it which is a shame because apart from that this phone is a winner and specially for the price.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Great phone for the price

This phone is excellent for what you pay - the battery life is really the only downside. It takes good pictures and is close to stock Android. Has a sleek design, although some may find it kind of long. The display is sharp and memory can be expanded with an option micro sd card.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Budget phone at a budget price

Phone is good that it gets good firmware updates.
However, battery life is poor.
Not sure why but possibly memory is small the phone is slow and sometimes freezes.
Camera is quite good for the price though.
Screen is not flat and difficult to get a glass screen protector.
I wish it has less pre-loaded apps which I could not uninstall easily.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Perfect at cheaper prices

The original XA, and we love it. It has NFC, and most of its parts are good quality. The camera can be blurry esp in low light. Its antenna has 4G reception problems. Finally, we're overjoyed with its durability. 5 drops hasn't destroyed it yet. Music app and other apps preinstalled are very annoying - bad quality and also uninstalls are not possible.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

The features are Very user friendly.

This is definitely worth the price I paid. The features are user friendly and got most of the apps and fantastic operating system. Can recommend to any one, who is looking for a medium range of mobile phone without getting your pocket empty. The camera is really sharp and excellent, really good.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Very Fluid Experience But Screen Just Average

I really wanted to like this phone!
I got it from Woolworths for only $100 on special and it seemed like a bargain. I certainly like Android 6 and the phone had enough RAM and processor power to provide a fluid user experience however! The screen resolution is not that fabulous, nor is it's brightness in sunlight.
It has one good benefit though and thats NFC for Android pay - thats a good feature at this price point.
would I buy it again? Probably not based on the screen.

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Not happy with phone or sony

It looks great (good size, weight) however my phone soon stared having issues. I'd be talking with someone on the phone and the pages would go crazy, the torch would switch on and not turn off, I'd lose the person on the phone, and I couldn't turn the phone off. This happened increasingly often, and seemed to be relating to the phone heating up. Before I took it back to get fixed, I took the protective cover off so it would be cooler. Then it fell out of my pocket and the screen cracked. After this Sony wouldn't honour the warranty as the cracked screen voided it. This is despite explanation of the fault and why, thanks to the fault, I had no protection on it. I'm very unhappy with Sony as I now need to buy a new phone because their's was faulty. I won't be buying Sony again.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Great budget phone

Bought as a secondary phone on sale for $150. Performance is very good (it runs on android 7.0 Noguat) for the price and the screen is very good. Only downside is the battery which won't last a day. The build quality is excellent and it also has an expandable SD card slot

Date PurchasedNov 2017

I bought my Sony xa online from a trusted buyer. He had phone locked to Vodafone but sent me steps to unlock it he sent me everything to do with the phone, including its box, except his own purchase reciept. Ever since I've had the phone I've have had no dramas with it, except, that I can only use the internet if I have WiFi! . Even though I may have credit (it's a telstra prepaid) my data will not be used when no WiFi. So frustrating. And yes I've checked all settings. When I asked telstra about this they said I needed the proof of purchase for the warranty so they can unlock the phone to telstra. Well this doesn't make sense as I have a telstra sim and it works wen calling ppl and sending text messages. Telstra then said it's probably hardware. So I took to local phone repairer and said to rest to factory settings which I don't want to do.. So I took to local phone repairer and they basically said I have to reset to factory settings (which I don't want to do) but even then it's still needing telstra permission to reset. So, as u can imagine I'm confused telstra customer with a previous Vodafone phone? BTW I used the same sim for my last xa which got a bad cracked screen which is why I got this new phone. The old phone worked fine with the sim and the internet. Any suggestions and ideas?

Xperia XA
Display TechnologyIPS LCD
Pixel Density294 ppi
Screen Size 5"
Camera
Max Video Resolution 720p (HD)
Front Camera(s)8MP Wide Angle Lens