Stihl FSA 56

Stihl FSA 56

MPN: FSA56
See the Best Battery Whipper Snippers in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Stihl? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

2.9
  • Product is used
  • Safety
  • Battery Life

Good but terrible string system

Light weight and easy to use. Battery life is good with the appropriate battery. Worst string feeding system on the market. Replacement spool is $20 and you might get 3 taps.

Purchased in August 2020.

An absolute piece of trash and waste of money

This think wastes a lot of line and three spools is 21 dollars at ace hardware. Owner of copperfield ace hardware screwed me by selling me this garbage. The line again gets stuck inside and takes long time to pull the crap out. I should have known better when the owner pulled a fast one and when I had issues and complained gave me a free pack, I think he knew it was a messed up piece of equipment, he was just after the sale. I bought the batteries also. What good is all of that if the piece of crap does not perform and is so unreliable. Made stihl look like hell. Now I need to find a light-weight trimmer that hopefully is somewhat affordable and not heavy as heck. Stay away from this crap.

Purchased in January 2019 for $200.00.

Don’t buy it

In my opinion

This tool has a bad manufacturer defect, whereby grass gets above the cutting head, which impossible to clean as it requires the removal of the the head and on this model it’s a workshop job. This grass builds up and causes resistance on the spindle which in turn causes the aluminium drive cog on the motor to strip the teeth from the plastic/nylon drive cog on the spindle. The only fix is to purchase a complete motor assembly and yes that is not cheap. Almost half the price of a new tool (without battery or charger) Poor show Stihl, poor show. This tool is a waste of money.

Purchased in April 2019 at Hear For Less.

Battery Whipper Snippers

Find out how Stihl FSA 56 compares to other Battery Whipper Snippers

Ben B.
Ben B.Northeast, VIC

Poor Design Unreplaceable Nylon Drive Gear

Basically low hour unit, as still on original spool. Used on AK20 battery for 30 minutes. Stopped working. Disassembled. Motor works fine, but metal drive gear has chewed out large nylon drive gear. Can I replace cheap Nylon drive gear. NOOOOO. Need to replace entire motor bearing module at $140. Why mesh nylon with metal, if not to protect motor?? If you can only replace entire module, make it metal to metal. At least it might last past first length of nylon cord.

Purchased in December 2017 at Stihl Dealer.

Unhappy
UnhappyNew South Wales

Disappointed by Stihl

I have an FSA 85 but my complaint would be the same in the entire range . While it worked I thought it wonderful . The head must have got wet , long grass or cleaning , the motor bearing rusted and seized which caused the electronics to seize . I was quoted way over two thirds the cost of a new machine to fix . After two years this was very disappointing and unaffordable. I rang Stihl and they promised to get back to me, they never did .
I advise to not let your head get wet and keep it well lubricated.

Jason R
Jason RHunter Region, NSW

I absolutely love the Stihl FSA 56

So easy and convenient to use on our block. Where we live often doesn't require the lawnmower to be pulled out so a quick tidy up with the FSA 56 is ideal.
No ear protection, no filling up with fuel, no mixing of fuel required when using it, just pick up and use. It's great.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Horrible product

Date PurchasedJuly 2018
shazartist
shazartistWide Bay-Burnett, QLD

I have a FSA 45 not 56.

I wanted a light easy to use grass trimmer for around my Greenhouse, garden and pergola. My husband has a heavy duty ride on and brush cutter and he never achieves the look I want plus the mess! Now I have my own perfect one. I have used it a couple of times and it is light, easy to use and has those wonderful little blades NO cord. Love it ! I use it for about 30 minutes then recharge. It had one dot of power left. It doesn’t take long to recharge. I just wanted to trim grass nothing heavier than that it does that job perfectly.

Date PurchasedJan 2018
David H
David HByron Bay

Just right

I bought a Ryobi RTL 1238 with a 1200W motor and regretted it on day 1 - far too powerful, badly designed and destroyed the trimmer line in minutes. In comparison the FSA 56 is very light, balanced and has just the right amount of power. The cord lasts very well. I have the small capacity battery and it shows 2 bars after 20 minutes, but recharging is quick. This is a very well made product that is very suitable for light to moderate gardening tasks.

Date PurchasedOct 2017
Battery Whipper Snippers

Find out how Stihl FSA 56 compares to other Battery Whipper Snippers

Paradise
ParadiseMelbourne

Light and easy to use line trimmer

Date PurchasedJune 2017

Bobbyasked

Hi Guys, can anyone tell me how to replace the mowing head on an FSA 56. Can’t find any guidance videos anywhere. Motor runs but head does not spin. Have ordered a new head but need some guidance on procedure to change out.

Bobby

Found the answer, sadly it’s the motor assembly and in my opinion a bad manufacturer defect whereby grass gets above the cutting head, (impossible to clean) causes resistance on the spindle and the aluminium drive cog on the motor strips the plastic/nylon drive cog on the spindle. Poor show Stihl, poor show. This tool is a waste of money.

P A W
P A Wasked

Anyone know how to replace the rotating head "cup unit" -the bit that holds the spool of strimmer line, please? One of the brass washers in the line feed hole has 'sharpened' and cuts the trimmer line within a few seconds leaving me with just one working piece of line and an out of balance head unit. Also the spool retaining cap is wearing out -as mentioned above (it is part of the replacement head cup unit).

Bobby

Hi, pop off the cap, remove the cartridge and look down the middle of the spring where you will see a cer clip. Small c shaped clip with a small hole at each end. This must be pulled apart and removed. Then you can with some considerable effort pull the mowing head off. Not designed to be done by owners and why there are no instructions in the manual. Very poor design and cause of a manufacturing defect.

Eric
Ericasked

We are having problems with the trimmer line. It constantly breaks after using it for a few minutes. We have taken it back to the Sthil store which we brought it and didn’t get very good customer service. Do anyone have any suggestions?

Joh
Joh

Hi Eric, I had similar problems, the advise given to me was to tap it more often, not to allow the line to get too shorts as it can "melt off" once it is too short. I started doing that, was an improvement, but now the bottom cover for the line catridge is falling apart from frequent tapping and from being under-engineered (thin plastic). (As per the writer below). Looking for another brand, as it not uncommon for me to stop 3-4 times per trimming to attend to the line even with frequent tapping...

Simon O.
Simon O.

Store the line or spool in a bucket of water, or at least overnight, before wanting to use it. No, I’m not pulling your leg!
Old line can become brittle and soaking in water makes it more supple and less prone to breaking.

CategoryBattery Whipper Snippers