Stihl FSA 56

• Battery Life
Ben B.

Ben B.Northeast, VIC

Poor Design Unreplaceable Nylon Drive Gear

Basically low hour unit, as still on original spool. Used on AK20 battery for 30 minutes. Stopped working. Disassembled. Motor works fine, but metal drive gear has chewed out large nylon drive gear. Can I replace cheap Nylon drive gear. NOOOOO. Need to replace entire motor bearing module at $140. Why mesh nylon with metal, if not to protect motor?? If you can only replace entire module, make it metal to metal. At least it might last past first length of nylon cord.

Purchased in December 2017 at Stihl Dealer.

Noise Level
Safety
Battery Life
Product is usedOccasionally
Grass TypeTall grass

UnhappyNew South Wales

Disappointed by Stihl

I have an FSA 85 but my complaint would be the same in the entire range . While it worked I thought it wonderful . The head must have got wet , long grass or cleaning , the motor bearing rusted and seized which caused the electronics to seize . I was quoted way over two thirds the cost of a new machine to fix . After two years this was very disappointing and unaffordable. I rang Stihl and they promised to get back to me, they never did .
I advise to not let your head get wet and keep it well lubricated.

Noise Level
Safety
Product is usedWeekly
Jason R

Jason RHunter Region, NSW

I absolutely love the Stihl FSA 56

So easy and convenient to use on our block. Where we live often doesn't require the lawnmower to be pulled out so a quick tidy up with the FSA 56 is ideal.
No ear protection, no filling up with fuel, no mixing of fuel required when using it, just pick up and use. It's great.

Date PurchasedDec 2018
Battery Whipper Snippers

Find out how Stihl FSA 56 compares to other Battery Whipper Snippers

Horrible product

Date PurchasedJuly 2018
shazartist

shazartistWide Bay-Burnett, QLD

I have a FSA 45 not 56.

I wanted a light easy to use grass trimmer for around my Greenhouse, garden and pergola. My husband has a heavy duty ride on and brush cutter and he never achieves the look I want plus the mess! Now I have my own perfect one. I have used it a couple of times and it is light, easy to use and has those wonderful little blades NO cord. Love it ! I use it for about 30 minutes then recharge. It had one dot of power left. It doesn’t take long to recharge. I just wanted to trim grass nothing heavier than that it does that job perfectly.

Date PurchasedJan 2018
David H

David HByron Bay

Just right

I bought a Ryobi RTL 1238 with a 1200W motor and regretted it on day 1 - far too powerful, badly designed and destroyed the trimmer line in minutes. In comparison the FSA 56 is very light, balanced and has just the right amount of power. The cord lasts very well. I have the small capacity battery and it shows 2 bars after 20 minutes, but recharging is quick. This is a very well made product that is very suitable for light to moderate gardening tasks.

Date PurchasedOct 2017
Paradise

ParadiseMelbourne

Light and easy to use line trimmer

Date PurchasedJune 2017

P A W

P A Wasked

Anyone know how to replace the rotating head "cup unit" -the bit that holds the spool of strimmer line, please? One of the brass washers in the line feed hole has 'sharpened' and cuts the trimmer line within a few seconds leaving me with just one working piece of line and an out of balance head unit. Also the spool retaining cap is wearing out -as mentioned above (it is part of the replacement head cup unit).

Eric

Ericasked

We are having problems with the trimmer line. It constantly breaks after using it for a few minutes. We have taken it back to the Sthil store which we brought it and didn’t get very good customer service. Do anyone have any suggestions?

Joh

Hi Eric, I had similar problems, the advise given to me was to tap it more often, not to allow the line to get too shorts as it can "melt off" once it is too short. I started doing that, was an improvement, but now the bottom cover for the line catridge is falling apart from frequent tapping and from being under-engineered (thin plastic). (As per the writer below). Looking for another brand, as it not uncommon for me to stop 3-4 times per trimming to attend to the line even with frequent tapping...

jvbvetasked

The mower head on my FSA 56 is going to need replacing for the second time in 12 months - the plastic base cover for the line cartridge falls to pieces - the answer I got was don't let the base of the head touch the ground!!! :(

Unhappy

I have no easy answer except that Stihl are developing Brand suicide . I need new kit because of the failure of my whipper snipper and am looking at other brands . Great Shame as I have been a forty year fan .
Try another store to see if they give better service , my locals are lousy.

Thanks :(

Joh

Used mine only for about a couple of years, perhaps 20 times, having similar problems, the plastic base is simply not designed to endure the tapping, which is ironically part of the trimming process/line feeding. Considering different brands... (tough choice as invested in 2 extra AK30 batteries....)

CategoryBattery Whipper Snippers