Stihl MS 201 T

Stihl MS 201 T

MS 201 TC-M and MS 201 T

See the Best Petrol Chainsaws in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Generally a good saw, with some minor issues

I purchased an MS201t, the new model to the MS200. It worked ok for 2 years then the oil channel corroded out and required the block to be changed. Then the bar alignment screw broke off, it was of insufficient strength requiring another block change. The handle of the saw had a weak fragile spot that fractured easily. Replaced top handle housing assembly from dropping the saw a meter or two. There were also problems with the switch, it wouldn't turn off. Then I started to experience problems with the saw, it wasn't cutting properly, after contacting Stihl in Osbourne Park WA, they offered an upgrade kit for $250. I asked if I could purchase this upgrade kit and said she wasn't able to do that. Months later I went to the Stihl shop O'Connor, they were really good, and explained that the upgrade is basically a solution to what is otherwise a mass product recall. The women at the other shop had deceived me, Stihl were meant to sell this kit at a give a way price of $35 to fix a defective product line. It consists of a carby, flywheel and ignition module, it made the saw run properly. So no more problems now.

Problems with new MS 201 T

Purchased new saw to replace 019T. Saw gradually lost performance and returned to dealer after perhaps 5 hours work. Dealer said replaced spark plug (advised a common issue). Saw working again but after around 10 hours performance dropped to being unusable. Fiddled with settings - no difference. Back to Dealer. Very disappointing after many years using Stihl equipment.

Nothing on a 200t

I've blown 2 up so far,they keep getting slop in the crank as the stihl shop tell me, won't hold normal revs. They work hard for about 1 hr but after that you need to take it back to get it re tuned. I have 2 of them 1 is at the shop while the other is working and vise versa. I wouldn't buy one for a few years so they can get rid of all these problems.
Try and stick with a rebuild on a 200t they were a great saw.
Good power once up to full rev but takes a bit to get there. Very frustrating
To much for a still product, I have had at least 20 saws in the 15 years of my tree business, no other still product have had problems

Have to agree the 201 is garbage, WHY Sthil? Why you change something so perfect for something so bad? A 200t with a thousand hours on it will run all over a fresh 201!