Stihl MS 231 Wood Boss

Stihl MS 231 Wood Boss

MS 231 and MS 231 C-BE with Rapid Duro 3

Great saw

Bought this second hand on ebay, changed the chain. starts super easy and powers through anything, really happy with it. I had a mcculloch c400t chainsaw that I paid $300 for in bunnings previously it was ok but only lasted 2 years, better to buy a Stihl when they have service centres and parts available everywhere.

Date PurchasedJan 2019

A pleasure to use

I was originally looking for a smaller chainsaw for trimming back some olive trees and to accompany me on our 4wd trips for cutting firewood , i settled for the Stihl MS 231 the baby of the Wood Boss category , so far it has been a pleasure to use , easy to start and maintain , an excellent chainsaw

Date PurchasedMar 2017

So far, so good

I had bought a cheapie to start with, but kept on having problems with the chain tensioner with it.

I finally decided to go for Stihl. And I'm definitely not disapointed.

I've been advised to go for at least that make, though it was stretching a bit my budget.
I had a 18inch bar fitted instead of the 16inches for around NZ $60.
And so far, it has worked like a charm. It starts really easily, after 2 - 3 pulls (once I've managed to flog the engine, and it wouldn't start anymore then, but I left it alone for a day, and the next day it was back on an easy start).

It has good power, even though I suppose you'd always like some more.

The vibrations are almost non existant, that's very impressive, compared to the cheapie I had used before.

Only drawback so far. You need to buy a specific srewdriver to unscrew the cover to clean the filter. I haven't done that yet, but it's a start screwdriver you find at any hardware store it seems.

So I believe what I read on the web was true, if you want a chainsaw, go for either Stihl or Husqvarna, the other brand "are just like toys"...

Date PurchasedJan 2018