Stihl MS 231 Wood Boss

Stihl MS 231 Wood Boss

MS 231 and MS 231 C-BE with Rapid Duro 3

Good product with one weak link

This chainsaw performs very well, but be careful of the chain brake lever. It's plastic and there is a lot of leverage on the section that engages and disengages the brake. It may break for you as it did for me. As an engineer I can say there's not enough plastic bulk in the design in the right places, and it cannot take the sustained force of clicking the brake on and off a lot (which you should do for safety). Once broken, the brake will be either stuck on or stuck off. One way the saw cannot be used, the other it should not be used until it is made safe again. Keep this part of the chainsaw greased to reduce the forces in the area and that could lengthen the life of this part.

Purchased in May 2013 for $650.00.

Safety

Great saw

Bought this second hand on ebay, changed the chain. starts super easy and powers through anything, really happy with it. I had a mcculloch c400t chainsaw that I paid $300 for in bunnings previously it was ok but only lasted 2 years, better to buy a Stihl when they have service centres and parts available everywhere.

Date PurchasedJan 2019

A pleasure to use

I was originally looking for a smaller chainsaw for trimming back some olive trees and to accompany me on our 4wd trips for cutting firewood , i settled for the Stihl MS 231 the baby of the Wood Boss category , so far it has been a pleasure to use , easy to start and maintain , an excellent chainsaw

Date PurchasedMar 2017

So far, so good

I had bought a cheapie to start with, but kept on having problems with the chain tensioner with it.

I finally decided to go for Stihl. And I'm definitely not disapointed.

I've been advised to go for at least that make, though it was stretching a bit my budget.
I had a 18inch bar fitted instead of the 16inches for around NZ $60.
And so far, it has worked like a charm. It starts really easily, after 2 - 3 pulls (once I've managed to flog the engine, and it wouldn't start anymore then, but I left it alone for a day, and the next day it was back on an easy start).

It has good power, even though I suppose you'd always like some more.

The vibrations are almost non existant, that's very impressive, compared to the cheapie I had used before.

Only drawback so far. You need to buy a specific srewdriver to unscrew the cover to clean the filter. I haven't done that yet, but it's a start screwdriver you find at any hardware store it seems.

So I believe what I read on the web was true, if you want a chainsaw, go for either Stihl or Husqvarna, the other brand "are just like toys"...

Date PurchasedJan 2018