Stihl MS 251 C-BEQ with Rapid Duro 3 chain

Stihl MS 251 C-BEQ with Rapid Duro 3 chain

1.0 from 1 review

See the Best Petrol Chainsaws in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Poor design & quality

Moved to a 5 acre property and needed a bigger saw than my mini. Bought this model and have been able to use it 3 times in 5 months. 2nd use in the middle of a cut it poured smoke. Dealer said clutch had been cooked due to excessive idling? As I needed saw I accepted explanation and paid $130 to have repaired. Next time in use did exactly the same thing, when I complained to customer service Stihl rep sent an insultingly condescending email telling me that the chain brake can be activated in the middle of a cut. If this is true, it is the most ridiculous design feature I can think of. Imagine if you were doing a 100kmh on a freeway and your car decided to activate the handbrake. I have been using chainsaws for 50 plus years and have never had a saw behave this way.

November 2ns 2017 Update: Piece of garbage.

I have been using chainsaws for 50 odd years and this is an appalling piece of engineering. Half way through cutting a log the inertia chain brake can just decide to engage. This results in the clutch burning out and the saw becoming inoperative. Problem is then exacerbated by Stihl Australia refusing to take any responsibility, and indeed not replying to either e-mails,letters or phone calls. Their so called customer service department is anything but, and a letter directed to the CEO has not been answered. Do not buy this product under any circumstances, and for a company that used to stand by their products, this is an extremely disappointing response.

Date PurchasedApr 2017