Stihl MS 261 / MS 261 C-Q / MS 261 C-M / MS 261 C-MQ

Stihl MS 261 / MS 261 C-Q / MS 261 C-M / MS 261 C-MQ

MS 261 C-M, MS 261 C-MQ, MS 261, MS 261 C-Q

• Safety

Can't rate just yet.

I couldn't re-start saw after shutting off. Dealer gave me a new one because they couldn't fix. Hopefully this was just a lemon and my new one will do better.

Purchased in July 2020 for A$600.00.

Tom Tee

Tom TeePerth, WA

As good as the MS 260C?

If its just as magic a machine as is my 20yo MS 260C, then when the time finally comes for a new one (hopefully it will outlive me), then this will most certainly be the one..... There's only one thing and one thing alone which will make me walk out of the store empty handed. And that is if the Serial or Engine No. begins with 8. It can start with 1, 2 and 5 or even 3. But if it starts with 8, I'm walking. I refuse absolutely to bring home a Xhinese made tool. Bad enough being sold parts for the old one such as air filters from there. Cheap and act like a sawdust vacuum cleaner. Tell me these machines are still made in Germany or the US and I'll have one asap. To finish my review, I can only talk about the 20yo 260C please understand.

Purchased in March 2001 at Eastern Hills Mundaring.

brians5

brians5Central Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

One of the best chainsaws ever produced.

I have numerous Stihl saws and my favourite was a 20 year old MS260. It was light, powerful for a 50cc, started immediately and could be used for hours on end every day.
Two MS 362 were returned as one was replaced under warranty and the other was erratic. Having a 461, 441 and 462 it seemed Stihl has ironed out their M-Tronic problems (now on version 3), so I picked up a 261 recently. It revs faster than the previous model and holds power no matter how hard the timber one cuts. It has 100s of hours on and I would rate it as one of the best saws Stihl has produced, along with the 460.
Have a look at the US Stihl review site and it has an excellent rating from hundreds of reviews.

Purchased in June 2019 at Stihl Dealer.

Petrol Chainsaws

Find out how Stihl MS 261 / MS 261 C-Q / MS 261 C-M / MS 261 C-MQ compares to other Petrol Chainsaws

M.J

M.JPerth

What a weapon

Great saw, cuts aussie hardwood like a ninja, chuck norris would use this chainsaw as a beard trimmer or toothbrush... wish i'd purchased this saw years ago...cut 2 years worth of wood in an hour, what a weapon! Highly recommend! Would buy again and so would Chuck...love the captive bar nuts and the the thought stihl has put into this machine....Well done STIHL!

Date PurchasedApr 2018
Brett

BrettGibsons British Columbia

Very disappointed

Owned the 261 for less than 4 years and the engine is toast. Told by the dealer that it would cost $400 for parts + $100 for labour. I only use the saw to cut about 3 cords of wood per year, so it is not intense use. I will be looking for a different brand.

Date PurchasedMar 2014